Sign in to follow this  
Bokero

The failure of Somali Diaspora

Bokero   

If there is any race that is synonymous, refugeedom is us, we have single handily created jobs for ten of thousands of UN and NGO staff …

We have soaked the earth with blood, and tears. We have destroyed our already poor infrastructure..

The world laughs, and pities us,… but we seem to have no an ounce of shame…

Our father generation have failed us!!! But I don’t understand why Dispora determined are, to keep us in the abyss… why are we adamant to learn nothing from our catastrophe!!!

The Diaspora failure, may lay in their comfort. We don’t to live in dusty, dehumanising, rat infected, hellish refugee camps in Yemen or Kenya… this means we can continue to intellectualise hate in our comfortable houses in the West..

I want to suggest that SOL arranges a mission to Dabaab refugee camp in Northern Kenya, or Yemen for SOL member to see with their own eyes what we have done to ourselves, its one thing reading about it, another seeing how Somali leadership and their cheerleaders (us), have destroyed soul of the people and reduced them to a short and brutish life.….

I will volunteer to make the necessary arrangement and TOR for the Mission…

Each participant will be required to pay, for their ticket and substance…

I await you feedback

Ms DD   

Very commendable but you seem to forget that almost all of us have families/friends/relatives in those areas. So seeing it and being aware of it wont feed the poor or contribute to their plight. Best thing to do is establish a movement which will have hand-on approach and can influence the decision-making political process.

Bokero   

Dhuc

Seeing is the start... the hope is from then on wards a movment for self help will start... this is a first step... of somalis looking at themselves at the mirrors... plus having a family is different than living there saxib... i have seen it myself is embarassing,,, and a shame to us all

Baashi   

No need for contribution from any1 for this mission Bokero as pics and reports of the refugee camps are readily available in cyber world.

By the way Somalis make up a fraction of refugees running from wars!

Somali Diaspora have done a great deal for the Somali refugees. I challenge you or anyone who shares your view on this issue to cite any Diaspora that cared as much and sacrificied so much for their loved ones as Somalis did and continue to do to this day. I know folks who forgot their future in order to help their relatives back at home. Back home they are called Nolol lagu dhaxal as he/she sends money month in and month out!

Success story in Benadir, Bossaso, Hargeisa, Borame, Galkacyo...schools, universities, hospitals, you named all are financed by the Diaspora. There are companies that made fortune in remmitence biz.

Awoowe there is always room for improvement but if there is anything positive that I can say about Diaspora is how they have helped and still continue to help their relatives back at home or at refugee camps.

Bokero   

I can see the denial process is full gear

Ngonge… its not a weeping session but call to action.. rather than sitting ur ***, I think it’s time u look at urself and ask what I have done for my people and my country..

Baashi.. I am not convinced enough is being done!! I was in Kenya recently and the state of Somali makes me sick. Dadaab in northern Kenya is exclusively Somali so is the one in Yemen…

Finally helping ur kin is one thing but helping ur country and all its people is different, and that is what we should aspire to!...

me   

The three of you are right, but there is always room for improvement.

Baashi   

Bokero awoowe Somalis are recent immigrant and refugee one at that as oppossed to economic migrant (skilled and talented, top of the cream kinda folks).

What that means in plain English is that the Diaspora is a cross section of Somalis at home...from janitors, goat herders, to school teachers...not the kinda community we come to associate with "Diaspora". Awoowe ma ila socotaa.

In any event, awoowe the country Somalia is no more. I know folks who don't give credence to your likes for they don't believe anyone could be that caring to something so elevated as to nation or country...a reflection to their principles.

I have an idea for you boowe: support the reconciliation effort, contribute to wells, schools, universities...anything that's of use to the community...do that and you have done enough.

Bokero   

Baashi

thanks for u r thoughtful reply..

but i again.. i belive much more can be done.. see buidling a well only to be destroyed by some warlord or clan facists is problematic...

anyway, i think we need to form a diaspora self help.. that supports our refugees espcially women and the elders.. many young women are now being forced in to prostitution in Kenya cos they have no other means for survival!

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Bokero:

I can see the denial process is full gear

Ngonge… its not a weeping session but call to action.. rather than sitting ur ***, I think it’s time u look at urself and ask what I have done for my people and my country..

I have not done enough. I shall never do enough. If it's to be done in the way you describe, I don't want to do enough.

Saaxib, stop the wailing and dreams. If you know a way of doing something, spit it out and tell us. To organise a party that goes and inspects refugee camps is what Geldof and his ilk do. We already know what takes place there and no matter how many heart-breaking situations we see when we get there it will hardly make a difference to our attitude once we return to our cosy homes and computers.

Like you said, action is more important. But the action needed has to be something of value and not a day trip to a human zoo.

What emotionally charged idea will you come up with next? Somalnimo?

Bokero   

Ngonge..

I am happy we have few ppl like u in this world..otherwise we will still be swinging from trees.. every idea starts as a dream... i know where u stand on this issue, thanks for your contribution...

Malika   

Bokero, there wont be a point visiting these camps empty handed, why not start fundraising events, accumulate enough resource, like flitered bottled water, medicine, tents,beddings,clothes, dried foodand equipments for digging toilets for sanitation reason..etc etc

I know we send money to our immediate families, but what about those whom dont have family members in diaspora?

So every one at my place, this weekend? dont forget to bring your cheque books, own snacks and drinks..I am not that charitable.. :D

Fabregas   

Somalis probably send the highest amount of remittances back home more than any other group. People save up their benefit money to send back home. Actually, I was watching a programme about Somalis in Northern Kenya a while back on the B.B.C. The presenter took a group of local people to go and complain to their M.P, who they hadn't seen for six years.So the good old M.P, with his classical Somali stomach(no offense) and shirt greets them nicely along with the presenter. After a while, the presenter enquires why he hadn't done much to help these people and adressed their problems. The good old M.P becomes very irate and shouts at the presenter, " why are you brining politics here? The presenter replies " well because you are politician"? The M.P again agrily says " why didn't you bring people that support me.....they are all against me etc.....?. Then he told to me leave and exit his office. Of course the presenter was amused a politician could kick his constituents for "discussing politics"?lol

There was another interesting exchange the presenter had a with a group of nomads, which i might share at a later time.

@Bokero, why send a SOL cyber them, when i can see the suffering for myself live on Aljazeera coursey to Mohamad Addow ?Furthermore, woudln't this money be put to better use( feed people)?