Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Baffled with Somali tribalism? Read the following true stories!

In the developed world, as expressed by President J.F. Kennedy in the sixties, national inspirational slogans go. “Ask not what your country can do for you! Ask what you can do for your country!” But in Somaliland, the inspirational slogan seems to be “Ask not what your clan or sub-clan can do for you! Ask what you can do for your clan or sub-clan!”

The following story did not happen in the 1970s when many people, betrayed in the Somali independence and union, left the country en masse. It did not happen in the eighties during the civil war when everyone through tit and tat wanted to score points against others to prove his supremacy or show his muscle to other clans. It did not happen in the nineties when in their reconciliation conferences in Burao, Borama and Hargeisa, Somalilanders in every walk of life wanted to show their indispensability in the process. It did not happen even at the end of the twentieth century when Somaliland was struggling to establish law and order and the scars of the ugly past was still vividly visible everywhere . And it did not happen in 2002 when late president Egal died and everyone was apprehensive of what would follow next but fortunately a few months later, President Rayale was peacefully put in charge with the lowest margin in recent elections history making everyone think that Somaliland had reached a milestone as tribal loyalty was finally put in the coffins there. However, the following story happened in July 2008 showing how much loyal Somalis are to tribalism.

Late last July, the Institute of Environment of the United Arab Emirates called for a national conference. And employees from the ministries of higher education, health, Petroleum & Minerals; water & environment, the municipalities of Abu Dhabi and that of Al Ain as well as many other private national and international institutions were invited to participate and contribute.

So, as an employee of Abu Dhabi Water Authority, along with many friends from my company, I was invited to participate in that symposium. And with enthusiasm all of us tried to contribute at least by being active participants!

The conference was marvelously well-organized. It was educational and in fact many lectures and presentations were given by renowned national and international experts in their respective fields and of course many were rewarded with incentives for their great contributions.

Then, of course as usual, at the close of the conference, a dinner party was held and instinctively many Horn of African guys including me selected to share a table. In total we were seven: two from Somaliland: a university instructor lady and I, a water scientist, one medical doctor from Eritrea, one environmental expert from Ethiopia, two natural wildlife habitat consultants from Kenya and one Sudanese who before he introduced himself decided to join the table next to ours.

The dinner was lavish; the place was marvelously decorated with national slogans and conference theme excerpts conspicuously engraved everywhere on the walls and the atmosphere was supper… that is in short, everything seemed unbelievably impressive!

After each and everyone in our table introduced him/her self, the Somaliland university lecturer lady who was sitting next to me, out of nowhere asked me: “qolamaad tahay” or what tribe are you? Of course caught off guard and embarrassed, but maintaining my composure, I whispered to her and said “sister I am from clan X and sub-clan X2” intentionally misleading her because I knew she was from clan X and sub-clan X2! …. But remember in Somali tribalism, that X keeps splitting until it reaches the lowest which is the family.

However, I was ashamed to go that low because the topic of discussion at hand was set to be Regional…Horn of Africa and educational!

And suddenly, probably felt assured and comfortable, with a big sigh, she said: “Thanks to Allah! It is too great! It is unbelievable! As clan X and especially sub-clan X2, we are blessed with the best nasab (lineage purity or originality)! I do not know what we did for Him (Allah), but He is kind to us because without sweating for it, He (Allah) gave us the best gift and honor one could ever get! What did we do to deserve that? ….nothing! He is just kind to us and we are not even grateful to Him! But we should have been. And we should have taught our children who we are! We should have told them the blessings we enjoy…. Good thing, at least I am grateful to Him (Allah) and you should be…..Aren’t you?” she asked! …. And just to respect her I said: “yes I am! But does that mean our other sub-clans of X such as: X1, X3, X4 etc. or other clans like: W, Y, Z, etc. in Somaliland are inferior to us?”.

Suddenly, that lady who must have been smart immediately suspected some thing was not right, so she said: “walaal or brother! They are! I love everyone, all Somaliland people are really great!” and finally she raised her voice and said: “brothers I am really sorry, I forgot I had another assignment at my job; and I am already late, so I must go; please forgive me and enjoy your dinner!” Then, she left!

Ironically, that lady was not even born in Somaliland. She was born and raised in the United Arab Emirates and had visited Somaliland only a few times in her life as I happened to know later!

This is typical of who Somalis are. And this is typically how much intoxicated Somalis are with tribalism and that false worthless self-esteem they enjoy and may be die for it! But sorry, the world community is only baffled because it can hardly understand the riddles involved!

In another similar story, back in 1992, America went to Somalia to intervene in the ugly civil war that was ravaging the country. And at time I was living in Dallas, Texas with my family and many other friends and their families.

At that time, in America in general and in that huge city of 3 millions in particular, the Americans were interested to help poor Somalia. So, the American media and the public were mobilized and reporters of most TV channels came to our homes on daily basis.

So, one day, an international reporter of a highly prominent newspaper in Dallas invited two Somali guys who by chance happened to be from the same clan for an interview. He also called a TV channel to record it and show it in the evening news.

But out of nowhere came another Somali guy and of course as a Somali he was also welcomed to participate. Then in the interview, the reporter asked one of the first two guys the following question:

“Now that America went to Somalia, what do you think it should do to stop the war and let food reach to those dying children and families?”

But the guy who came late took over to answer the question and said: “These guys are a minority and cannot answer on our behalf? They have no right to answer this question!” And then, the reporter said: “I don’t think you are answering my question! So, I am giving it to one of the other guys to answer; please hang on!” Unfortunately, he did not; but started shouting threatening the other guys and calling names. He even physically challenged them but was restrained to avoid problems! Naturally the others reacted but maintained their composure. Then finally, a police officer came and took him out of the room and threatened to prosecute him; luckily he did not!

Strangely, other Somalis from the tribe of that guy accused the other two interviewees responsible for creating “criminal records” for their friend because according to them, had they not come to the newspaper editor for interview, the whole episode would never take place.

Ironically, that guy too was an educated person. He was in fact a graduate from one of the American universities in the US. Additionally, he was neither born nor raised in Somaliland. In fact, he was born and raised in East Africa!

In conclusion, my dear readers, I know my short stories may sound artificial but believe it or not they are real and took place as reported and in the times mentioned.

Sadly, these two stories represent only a tinny fraction of the tribalism created and propagated nightmares that devastate poor Somalis everywhere on daily basis. And alas, it is the so-called intellectuals who nurture it by directly or indirectly supporting their pseudo leaders who thrive at the expense of the public!

Good thing, at least in Somaliland, the public does not support any demagogue any more because people are sick and tired of being told lies and their whole lives hijacked!

By Noah Arre

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

After each and everyone in our table introduced him/her self,
the Somaliland university lecturer lady who was sitting next to me, out of nowhere asked me: “qolamaad tahay” or what tribe are you?
Of course caught off guard and embarrassed, but maintaining my composure, I whispered to her and said “sister I am from clan X and sub-clan X2” intentionally misleading her because I knew she was from clan X and sub-clan X2! …. But remember in Somali tribalism, that X keeps splitting until it reaches the lowest which is the family.

Marka saaxiib , did the guy get a chance inuu ka garaaco the Somaliland university lecturer lady? :D

Nothing baffling about naag qacsatay!Does he not know “qolamaad tahay” waa laisku shukaansadaa baryahaan.... smile.gif

Fabregas   

^^ :D The guy is a joka, wuxu odhan laha: " Yeah, we are truly blessed with people like me and you.......". :D It seems like they couldn't get a proper conversation, thus she resorted to asking him is qolo, which she obviously started praising ;) !

Though his general points about tribalism are on point!

^^^BG, What points do you speak of ? All I saw was nothing but a distasteful ALPHABET SOUP aan dhadhan laheyn.

Ninkaan naagta haduu ku qaban lahaa ayaan sheekadiisa dhagaysan lahaa. But alas, sheeka raqiis ah buu ii keenay...kulahaa," I was ashamed to go that low because the topic of discussion at hand was set to be Regional…Horn of Africa and educational!<--Lame a$$ Lagaroone waaxid!

ilax   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

But the guy who came late took over to answer the question and said: “These guys are a minority and cannot answer on our behalf? They have no right to answer this question!” And then, the reporter said: “I don’t think you are answering my question! By Noah Arre

:D

It is funy thing, a tribaslist infront of cammera.