Sign in to follow this  
Saxardiid

Always blame the messeger!

Will Somalis ever stop blaming the messenger and concentrate solving their problems?

The Fall Of The BBC Somali Service -and The Trio

It is alarming to see the BBC Somali service of today is like a third world dictator's broadcasting station.

Strangely enough, the BBCsomali radio and its website are controlled by two cousins of Abdulqasim Salad Hassan who to his credit, Infilitrated the BBC during his short period as a leading Somali warlord, or as he calls himself Somalia's TNG President. The two cousins in control at the BBC Somali are are Yusuf Gerad and Mohamed Mohamoud Ade .

Last month, the BBCsomali website refused to report a word about the visit of the Somaliland president and his delegation to Britain. While the BBCSomali radio reported few demonstrators in Mogadishu about 6000 miles away against Somaliland sovereignity, simply because it was organised by Uncle Abduqasim. 2 days before, they refused to report over 5000 demonstrators in support of Somaliland just 2 miles away from Bush house (on March 17,2004) Again, because it doesn't serve the interest of the ---- trio- Abdulqasim Salad Hassan,Yusuf Gerad Omar and Mohamad Mohamud Adde.

It is hard to believe that This is a branch of the BBC world service of today (2004) It truly reflects the Radio Mogadishu of 80s ??? Read on

Som@li   

bbc SOMALI SERVICE IS THE MAIN SOURCE OF NEWS FOR MOST SOMALIS BACK HOME,SOMALIS DON'T OWN BBC,AS LONG AS IT IS THE LEADING BROADCASTING NEWS THERE,,THERE WILL ALWAYS BE QUESTIONS FOR THEIR MOTIVES.

BUT I BELIEVE IT IS POSSIBLE WITH THE GUYS LIKE YUSUF GARAD,CAN PICK AND PERIORITISE THE INFO AS THEY WISH.

Qudhac   

i think this article has point when you look at the characters who run this co-operation, it is clear this once great co-operation has turned into another mouth piece for certain warlords and that news and information has taken second fiddle, since the days of siade barre the co-operation became more and more politicised meduim and at the moment its become sorry state and a shadow of its once great importance, if you listen to it it hardly has any news about back home unless its a political issue.

xidig

BUT I BELIEVE IT IS POSSIBLE WITH THE GUYS LIKE YUSUF GARAD,CAN PICK AND PERIORITISE THE INFO AS THEY WISH.

Who wouldn't? Every media org in the world, there are always a few people who decides which info goes out and the bbc is no difference but maybe they are less experienced or they have less skills to cover.

Qudhac

since the days of siade barre the co-operation became more and more politicised meduim and at the moment its become sorry state and a shadow of its once great importance, if you listen to it it hardly has any news about back home unless its a political issue.

I think this is unfair to them. It’s very difficult to satisfy Somalis. Unless ones tribe is dominating the org is bias and against their tribe or political entity. The article reinforces usual tribal scare mongering and usual tribal conspiracies. So there is nothing new in it sxb.

A$$ All

one can not satisfy all of the people all of the times. And in the somali case is 'damned if you do, damn if you dont'.

I have seen this before. Somalis multiplying 2 by 2 and getting 5....And the reason for this brain twist is the QABIIL.

Caafimaad Allaha na siiyo.

Qudhac   

Sooyaal

i for one am not complaining or wanting anything from the BBC personally, am not asking them to give any tribe or region more spotlight than others because i believe this should not be an issue for them at all.

what they are suppose to be is information gateway for somalis everywhere and not another political motivated medium that we have become so used to in the last decade especially on the internet, all they should be doing providing impartial news, facts and educational progams, but instead everything they report has political spin to it, they give extra importance to political issues, and the rest of the news are two days old recycle from bigger broadcasting media, that you have heard days ago

they hardly have any educational programs that somalis abroad and back at home need desprately, i have never heard programs that encourage people back home to live together peacefully and turn their backs on warlords and voilence,

when you look at other somali information meduims you can see how unprofessinal they are, how unimpartial they are due to the fact somalis are new to this proffesion, but you would think a co-operation like the bbc somali service woudnt be so primitive as to how they conduct their journalism.

no wonder they call bbc nowadays been been sii!

i dont listen to it no more! its totally bs! i didnt know this was case but it just did make any more sense when i listen to it sometime couple of yrs ago!!

it wasnt any more a new organization but a laugh stock of lies and hot air!!

Originally posted by Yasmine:

^Sooyaal^, the issue is not one of tribe dominance... it's about imparitiality in journalism.

Sister if you read the whole article the message it enforces is that bbc is monopoly, impartial etc because of this trio tribal kinship, it must be a conspiracy. That is what i'm against. Secondly in my view the writer failed to mention that the bbc did reported what happened inside the parliament which was very important. In fact they reported favourably for Somaliland delegation by not mentioning the disruption that the good prof caused in the meeting.

Qudhac

what they are suppose to be is information gateway for somalis everywhere and not another political motivated medium that we have become so used to in the last decade especially on the internet, all they should be doing providing impartial news, facts and educational progams, but instead everything they report has political spin to it, they give extra importance to political issues, and the rest of the news are two days old recycle from bigger broadcasting media, that you have heard days ago

they hardly have any educational programs that somalis abroad and back at home need desprately, i have never heard programs that encourage people back home to live together peacefully and turn their backs on warlords and voilence,

when you look at other somali information meduims you can see how unprofessinal they are, how unimpartial they are due to the fact somalis are new to this proffesion, but you would think a co-operation like the bbc somali service woudnt be so primitive as to how they conduct their journalism.

I must agree with you most of those things you said about the bbc. The reason is that the sponsor which is the British foreign office doesn't care what they broadcast as long as droves of Somalis back home listen their crab.

Liqaye   

I think guys are giving to much credit to the somali service in what it can actually put in its programs, and how did abdi khasaro manage "to infiltrate" a multi-billiob pound corporation like the BBC that i think is not faced with a derth of talent in choosing it's staff in the somali section.

Salaan...

When C/laahi Xaaji was at the helm of BBC, deriding Siyaad Barre's regime, day in and out, those same people were cheering. When BBC was giving a greater voice to dissenters of the late regime, again these same folks were jubilant.

I remember the day Ismaaciil Jimcaale passed away and BBC devoted the entire day's clip to him. Max'ed Siyaad Barre was so maddaned and infuriated that he even tried to ban the marxuum's body to be buried in Soomaaliya.

Remember, that is the same BBC Soomaali service.

I had read three or four articles disparaging the BBC Soomaali service on the net the past couple months and those articles were from different, clan-based groups.

What does that tell you?

It tells us that either BBC got it all wrong or is supposedly neutral and fair. In order to be impartial and objective, it cannot upset at the same time each advocacy Soomaali group as clanish as they seem.

What people don't understand is that each media group has its own biased editorials or principles--be it a liberal or conservative views. Or to the extrems. So no exception the Soomaali media having its own clan-based principles, including the BBC. Every Soomaali media outlet needs to overcome the expected clanish conspiracies. No surprises there.

i never heard of bbc till late 90s! so what i hear today aint kosher homie period> its 2 one sided!

i mean i wont mind if it gives the whole somali world equal exposure!! sorry buddy to me, it has 1 point of view these days!!

i mean, i aint deef aigt! 4 me its the shanta! otherwise, u know what to do with it aigt! my 2 cents! ast la vista!!

king_450   

I know ppl who are vivid listerns of BBC,and i might add if you are over 30yrs of age then pehaps you understand this holliganism Radio, cz i don't,i tried several times to sit along my family and listen but i can't comprehend at all what they are talking about,i even hear ppl caling BBC(Been Badana Ciyaalka),time has changed,BBC somali section need to change dramatically,they need to mix ppl from different part of somalia, as it stands now,only northern ppl control most of the broadcasting ,aren't there any other somali broadcasters in the world,and who do the hiring,i guess not the British,but the Few .Anyway still support cz they are keeping our tongue still alive.

Originally posted by king_450:

they need to mix ppl from different part of somalia,
as it stands now,only northern ppl control most of the broadcasting
,aren't there any other somali broadcasters in the world,and who do the hiring,i guess not the British,but the Few .Anyway still support cz they are keeping our tongue still alive.

walee waa yaab :confused: what is this if you don't agree what is being broadcased then it must be bais or some wrong tribe dominates the box. if southerns accuse the notherns of dominating the bbc and vise verse then anyone with half decent brian would think the bbc is bipartisan institution.

"Anyway still support cz they are keeping our tongue still alive"

king! i rather do without this tongue! if its a dividing tongue, what good is it?

soyaal! since this a news service, why cant it balanced! and not partial! that all i am asking!

on the other hand, i think we all can do something about...email bbc and tell me how we feel! word!! amna do it!! this way, at least they will get the word!!

so, if u know or have direct links to the top monkey, please gives the link so we all can give him our thoughts!!!

i believe the change of the format didnt happen accidently but due to a reason. therefore, one needs to relay their discontent to the head figures!