Sign in to follow this  
baalcade

An Open Letter to Makhiris Marooned in Hargeisa

baalcade   

The sage of Makhir/Sanag of yore, Abdi Fatah , was once asked, “What is the secret of your legendary winning ways regarding arguments, big and small?”: His answer roughly translates thus: “I thoroughly examine and deliberate on all sides of the matter at hand well before a case is ever brought to a (traditional) court”.

“When I’m getting ready to reason with a man, I spend one third of my time thinking about myself and what I am going to say—and two thirds thinking about him and what he going to say”. Abraham Lincoln

As Salamu ‘Alaikum Dear Brothers,

The purpose of this open letter is to reason with you, the sons and daughters of Makhir/Sanag that are presently marooned in Hargeisa, in the “best mujadallah” that we, as a community, traditionally employ when dealing with others—but which we seldom extend to each other. Though I am not nearly as eloquent as the men quoted above, I’m nonetheless encouraged to send this note because of my unwavering confidence that we, in this community, can and should do everything in our power to find a veritable common ground on the socio-political issues of our time. I firmly belief that, by reasoning together, we can get to the truth.

So let’s begin at the beginning. There is no debating that our home region—Makhir/Sanag, which is the cradle of the Somali nation, had fallen on hard times for the past couple of generations. Once well recognized as a powerhouse in Somali polity, the region’s reversal of fortunes began with our forefathers’ resistance to the proposal to establish British “Protectorate” headquarters on Makhir soil. In retaliation agents of the British colonial Office in Aden began to impound all Makhiri dhows, ending the community’s unparalleled domination of the sea lanes throughout the Horn region and beyond, and with it the region’s economic basis. In addition, the buuryaqab British began to arm, hitherto relatively weak but hostile clans against the peaceful but fiercely independent people of Makhir/Sanag. For his part, the Sayyid Mohammad Abdulle Hassan, having been similarly rebuffed by the Makhir/Sanag community had, at the turn of the 20th Century, begun to unleash a genocidal campaign using hordes of his Drawiish movement against the community. As history would recall, none of these multi-pronged attacks were able to cow the gallant Makhiri/Sanag Gaadh-hayye corps led by Sultan Mohamoud Ali Shireh . After independence, all that the region received from successive Somali administrations can be summed up in two words: benign neglect.

True enough, this brief recapping of the foregoing events would probably be no brainer for some of you, brothers. But I must remind you that its value lies elsewhere: the necessity for us to review the events together for the purposes of putting the present in its proper historic perspective in order for us to chart the future we want for the community.

The take away point is this: our forefathers chose dignity over expediency. But it is our recent generations that have become awfully weak at the knees, when it comes to questions of honor and waajib concerning the community. Today we can safely identify the culprits that brought about the current malaise in which the community lacks basic technology and capital to make efficient use of available resources independently: they are none other out generation—the elites of the community, with our inability to outline much less effect a framework informed by the imperative for unity of purpose. That the resultant socio-economic and political underdevelopment would be further exacerbated by the lack of functional infrastructure facilities was known to all for a long time. Yet mindless complacency remains the order of the day.

There are of course other contributing factors. These include the region’s adjacency to hostile and/or indifferent neighbors that have tried to maximize their relative geopolitical advantage in the chaotic period following the collapse of the central government, some odd 17 years ago. Add to this sad mix the missing role of an all but inept leadership cadre, and a perpetually disaffected Diaspora. And, you are looking at a huge disaster in the making.

The most egregious, clear and present danger facing the community today, however, is that of the predatory policies of the neighboring, self-styled rebel-state of Somaliland that is seeking to forcibly take over Makhir/Sanag. In their multi-faceted mischief-making efforts, they seem to be frantically seeking to model the profound words of the American poet, Leonard H. Robbins :

How a minority,

Reaching majority,

Seizing authority,

Hates minority

In trying to reason with you brothers and sisters of Makhir/Sanag, now ensconced in the enemy camp, allow me to point out one central fact: your active collaboration with the secessionists is fulfilling crafty plans fashioned by folks who have demonstrated time and again that they have nothing but ill-will for the community whence you come. So, frankly, you are being used, though perhaps unwittingly, to play a supporting role in those short-sighted, hostile plans—the ultimate purpose of which is to upend the once-powerful Makhir/Sanag, once and for all.

The SNM forces’ plans, fashioned in Hargeisa’s famous mafrishyada qaadka , are simple. They wish to simplistically mimic the British colonial tactic of yester year: divide and rule!

Dear brothers, while some people are busy inventing a false history, remember that the community is the true link to our past as well as bridge to our future; do not betray it.

As a Muslim, I believe in the defense of what is Haqq , which is to say that I’m adamantly opposed to force without justice, but I am for using force in the defense of justice; for example, self-defense. Yet, my libertarian side would also defend freedom of association insofar as one considers the consequence of such association, intended or otherwise. To wit, one should consider the meaning of the Somali saying: “Meeshaad nin ugu dhowaanaysid, nin baad kaga dheeraanaysa”. For such a scenario would be particularly jarring if: ninka aad ka dheeranaysid uu yahay walaalkaa oo nacab weerarayo.

Do not get me wrong, strayed! brothers and sisters of Makhir/Sanag. I do understand why many of you are in Hargeisa. Few of you were born and raised in the area and are basically at home; few others are inan layaalo and are possibly marooned in that city; some maybe long-time residents conducting business there; others live there because Hargeisa is a relatively livable place compared to many other Somali towns; to be sure, several of you are there to distance yourselves from those in Makhir/Sanag that have made cottage industry out of flaming the fires of fitna within the community as a means of securing their daily rice-bowl; and, a number of you are no doubt disgusted with the idiocy that permeates the poorly administered state of Puntland , where a greedy, arrogant cabal, that can not shoot straight, calls the shots.

Hargeisa is a Somali city. However, the regime that operates from there is obstinately opposed to Somali unity. And, therein lies the crux of the problem many Somalis have with the self-avowed secessionists. In deed, the proponents of secession are card-carrying members of an accursed club of Soomaali diid —the agenda of which is informed by clanism, gone wild!

Dear brothers, here is what your community wants you to do (and trust me, I know whereof I speak). It is the following: Do not to be used as mercenaries against your own kith and kin in a clano-political war of domination . This is exactly what happened to our brothers in Sool and Cayn . There, the SNM secessionists basically hired on the cheap a faction and subsequently set the members of that proud community against one other—brother against brother, cousin against cousin, all at the behest of folks in far away Hargeisa who would like nothing more than to say that “we have defeated that community”.

Victory and defeat are meted out or granted whatever the case maybe by the Almighty Allah. But there are conditions by which a right-acting community can attain the first and avoid the latter: The people therein have to maintain unity and should never be divided come what may by those who do not have their community’s best interest at heart! Brothers, there is one other thing that we all owe to our community and that is to help develop its capacity, primarily the socio-economic sector. The key to this challenge, as you all know too well, is the seminal project being spearheaded by Horn Relief, namely the Las Qoray Port Project . Thus the challenge for all of us, the sons and daughters of Makhir/Sanag, is do all we can to help in this and other developmental projects that would improve the living standard of the community. As we are aware, no foreign aid reaches our shores. So we should support our own by participating in tangible endeavors in the spirit of independence and self-reliance.

You know as well as I do that the cause of secession has no legal or moral justification. However, if the SNM clanists insist on going their own way and abandon the Somali nation altogether, then I say let them have their wish to go their own way. But, brothers and sisters of Makhir/Sanag (who may currently be under the tutelage of the secessionists), I implore you not to go to hell in the proverbial hand-basket with that group’s conflict-ridden, Somali diid agenda. It foreshadows nothing but destruction for all concerned.

Lastly, do not, under any circumstances, be used as tools with which our community would be dragged into what will ultimately end-up as an unhappy, dead-end exercise. After all, the secessionists’ unfounded claim to an intrinsic right to separate from the nation, of which they are an integral part will, one way or the other, be stopped at the borders of those neighboring peaceful, pro-union, communities namely Makhir/Sanag, Sool and Cayn .

Respectfully Yours,

Ali A. Fatah

NGONGE   

Oh the irony of writing an online open letter to your kith and kin! Though I may sound harsh and my motives would typically be questioned, I can't help getting the feeling that this writer has already given up!

Surely it is not as if he needs to talk to every last cousin he has in order to show them the folly of their ways. If the family bonds are strong and if he's still in contact with the people that matter, all he needed to do is make a couple of phone calls and try to reason with the people concerned! As things stand, this piece has a strong whiff of desperation and the cry of he that wails from the margins!

Still, and keeping with my new reached resolution to abandon my fence and fly the flag of Somaliland, allow me to make a couple of observations:

In the past seventeen years, there has been a steady trickle of those that formerly opposed the creation of the State of Somaliland suddenly changing their minds and championing the cause of that state (just like yours truly did). Many of these have been respected and experienced persons. Yet, recently, the trickle has turned into an avalanche and the number of those changing sides seems to (surprisingly) have increased. Could it really all be about the selling out of principles and pursuit of a quick payday?

On the other hand, the number of those switching sides and abandoning Somaliland seems to decrease and is hardly noticeable these days! What is the cause of such a decline, I wonder!

Even the tired old SNM slur (like the one the author above has used) is starting to lose its old shine. Though it may sound mischievous one is obliged to suggest that these writers and commentators start using the term SNM & CO when disparaging the State Of Somaliland (for their intellectual and factual integrity, you understand).

Many of the replies to follow will probably justify the current situation by blaming it on mercenaries and rats. But here is a little fact to show you that you underestimate rats at your peril: when a ship is sinking, the first creatures to abandon it are the rats! The author and his ilk may just want to think about this and follow the rats to take their rightful seats in the Somaliland rescue boats. :D

NASSIR   

A couple of phone calls can't reach a whole nation. You must understand this is a nation scattered all over the world.

Anyway this is a wake up call for the Makhiris in Hargeesa to look themselves in a mirror and refrain from actions deemed to cultivate division within the community.

The letter, according to the author, is not to demonize the Makhiris on the wrong side, but to reason with them and open up a dialogue.

However, the major problem in our MakhirLand I think originates from the benign neglect of the former regimes as the author put it in terms of the lack of infrastracture. Las Qorey Port is our way to reversing decades long of economic marginilzation, so he is urging them to support as much as they can.

It is a wake up for the sleeping giant :D

Paragon   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Surely it is not as if he needs to talk to every last cousin he has in order to show them the folly of their ways. If the family bonds are strong and if he's still in contact with the people that matter, all he needed to do is make a couple of phone calls and try to reason with the people concerned! As things stand, this piece has a strong whiff of desperation and the cry of he that wails from the margins!

Lol. NGONGE, I wouldn't be so hasty to smell a whiff of desperation from the author's piece. I think you are under the assumption of thinking that all members of the same region have equal access to each other in communicating intended messages to each other. Its like assuming that our good NGONGE has a direct communicational link with all deserters of beloved Somaliland, and could easily request an audience (may that be virtual or otherwise) with those, say, who have abandoned to the TFG? Or perhaps you can, eh? Perhaps you could gather the few misbehaving boys and tell them off in familial circle under a qurac shade smile.gif .

Now let us assume you have no such privileges graced upon you by the all-mighty elders of the reerka. Then, how best would you choose to address your unreachable and intended audience? Wouldn't the Internet be a good device to employ? For you it may as well not be but for the chap who wrote the above piece, it seems, he has realized to use the Internet to his advantage. Its cheap, fast and most importantly, exactly the perfect tool for informational mass consumption. Now, why would you scoff the fellow and charge him with a state of desperation? That is a bit too unsuitable a charge, wouldn't you think?

Still, and keeping with my new reached resolution to abandon my fence and fly the flag of Somaliland, allow me to make a couple of observations:

At last, eh? smile.gif I can't blame you man, because lately it seems things are starting to brighten up for Somaliland's case. Absolutely the most opportune time to jump on the wagon. Good thinking, NGONGE. You know when to make your move and that is an admirable trait in a person :D . Hey, I kidding lol.

Yet, recently, the trickle has turned into an avalanche and the number of those changing sides seems to (surprisingly) have increased. Could it really all be about the selling out of principles and pursuit of a quick payday?

On the other hand, the number of those switching sides and abandoning Somaliland seems to decrease and is hardly noticeable these days! What is the cause of such a decline, I wonder!

Yeah, I would agree with you. lately, the rumour in the town has it that Somaliland admin's coffers have been replenished recently by some donor dollars, chiefly, it has been said, those precious dollars handed out by the US. This is a rumour that I am not certain whether its true. But if it is indeed true, surely that would explain the stream of deserters now basking in Hargeysa. Well, that could be a good explanatory theory, wouldn't you say?

Even the tired old SNM slur (like the one the author above has used) is starting to lose its old shine. Though it may sound mischievous one is obliged to suggest that these writers and commentators start using the term
SNM & CO
when disparaging the State Of Somaliland (for their intellectual and factual integrity, you understand).

Lol. That is old news, my man. The days when some cried out the statements that the so-called Somaliland is simply the re-incarnation of the old SNM, were the days when those who made those statements, were not absolutely sure that what they were saying was true. But it now seems their statements have assumed a new and real face, that is, the minute Somaliland troops marched into Laas Caanood city! 'Waa wareey!', they all screamed at the top of their lungs, 'the expansionist SNM is the move again, exactly just like the early 90s'. Thus, their previous pre-occupation with 'slurring' statements have now served their correct purpose of warning against the SNM, which is now forcefully occupying Laas Caano and also leering at Maakhir regions. These folks are busy collecting their war-tools to repel the SNM from Laas Caano and are trying to stop it from becoming tempted in other excursions. So you see, even if one argues SNM is non-existent and that Laas Caanood is not occupied by the SNM, your words would most likely fall on death ears. Such is the way it is amigo :D .

Many of the replies to follow will probably justify the current situation by blaming it on mercenaries and rats. But here is a little fact to show you that you underestimate rats at your peril: when a ship is sinking, the first creatures to abandon it are the rats! The author and his ilk may just want to think about this and follow the rats to take their rightful seats in the Somaliland rescue boats.
:D

Lol. Ofcourse, NGONGE. Who could underestimate the rats? I tell you, rats are be very dangerous animals! Not just that they spread deadly diseases but also, before they jump off 'the sinking ship' they have this natural tendency to chip at all kinds of wood. Even good old Oak or Mahogany cannot be entrusted to them! These little creatures don't seem to care whether the wood they chip away is the roof's timber or the floor boards of the ship in deep seas! And when the house starts to crumble or the ship starts to sink, they simply jump off roof or in this case jump ship and move on to their next roof or ship to chip away at. They may be clever to be the first to jump ship but then when it comes to the long-term, they tend to be not so clever. Soon enough they sink the next ship they sought refuge in until they run out of ships to sink. So think again about it; is Hargeysa safe with so many rats forever chipping away? :D

Paragon   

[EDIT] My bad! I forgot to add this to the above. Do you want another plausible explanation of why so many are switching sides in so many numbers? Well, think about it, there are few switch-up options for the few long-term focused opportunists. The have only two options left to them. Either switch between a Somali secessionist or an Ethiopian occupation? Now hypothetically, let's assume that you ( ;) ) want to switch sides but you are mindful of how Somali history would charge you.

The first option is to side with the Ethiopia's TFG, to which there are pre-requisites to getting to quick bucks. For you to get something fleshy to sink your teeth into, you first need to be a selected warlord or clan MP, which is really kind of difficult for the switchers. But even when you get past that and get yourself into the Baidoa circus, there is this social stigma attached to becoming a willing supporter of the Ethiopian occupation. Be assured, even most careless opportunist switchers wouldn't commit the treasonous crime of becoming known as a stooge. Stoogism takes altogether a different kind of opportunism.

For an opportunist in the North, the other (switching to Somaliland) option is simply the perfect opportunity. You see, the Somaliland option offers so many expedient gains; such as a quick buck, and the safe knowledge that the idea of Somaliland is considered by many to be a pipe-dream that won't see the light of day. More comfortably, to the opportunist, soon as a legitimate and free Somali state comes into an existence, Somaliland would simply come to the table of negotiation and its that which matters most. The opportunists believe they can have their share now and also then :D . Smart thinking, eh? Even as un-selected political hagglers they'll have their share of the national pie quite easily :D .

NGONGE   

Heh. Isseh, I have to applaud you on a gallant defence of that article and its author. Alas, in attempting to explain one part you also managed to cast the spotlights on another, more distasteful area!

But, first, let me address the issue of making phone calls. I personally have no direct contact with the powers that be in Somaliland. However, and even though unlike the author above I don't brag of my great persuasion skills, I nevertheless honestly believe that, should I wish it, I could easily find a way (through phone calls) to get in touch with the president himself. It is, after all, the Somali way.

Secondly, an open letter on the internet and in a different language is the worst option anyone could choose to communicate with his own clan! At best it could only be viewed as a sign of hopelessness and desperation. At worst, it comes across as another form of naval gazing and self gratification (in other words, the brother is just enjoying the sound of his own words).

Thirdly, when I compared the exodus of people to Somaliland as opposed to those going in the other direction, I did it specifically for the purpose of highlighting the issue of treachery and selling out one's principles/people. A passing Somaliland imbecile might bask in the thought that this treachery is a trait of those hailing from Makhir or Sool/Sanag! However, any rational person would easily dismiss such arguments and rather speculate about better and nobler reasons for such a transfer of allegiances! Surely if it were simple treachery we would have had many Somaliland leaders (and their followers) making the same move in the past seventeen years (instead of having the odd individual that lacks any clannish backing). Why is this not the case in the parts and people that decided to rejoin Somaliland recently?

I can accept and understand the accusation of treachery when it is applied to Buuba. After all, he's just but one man with hardly any support from within Somaliland. Still, I hope that you would note that I accept the argument or accusation but fall short of calling the man a traitor. For all I know he is doing it out of principle. What I can not accept however (or at least find hard to accept) is the argument that all these people that are now siding with Somaliland are traitors, mercenaries or sell outs! As I understand it, it is not one or two individuals but blocks of people and sub-clans!

Your final post seems to make more sense than your previous one. In that one, you are arguing that these people are hedging their bets and choosing to side with Somaliland until a better time when Somalia is back on its feet and they're presented with a better choice. That, I have to admit, is not a bad argument. In fact, I would go as far as saying it is the most sensible thing anyone in their situation could do. The only thing that your argument (conveniently) overlooks is the surge that such decisions add to the momentum of Somaliland's pursuit of international recognition. In addition, god only knows how long it will take for Somalia to sort itself out! If the situation remains unsteady for another seventeen years, whose to say that these newly returned Somalilanders will not abandon that dream and become fully immersed in their new nation? With proper management from the Somaliland government (not to mention a few carrots) they, in time, may become more fervent than even our beloved Oodeweyne! :D

As for Somaliland being a pipe dream, well, that is true for the time being. Yet, the dream looks more real as time passes. America's unilateral invasion of Iraq and Kosovo's independence are proof of the fluctuations and volatility of international politics. In that arena, there is no such thing as a pipe dream. All is possible and all is doable. Interests, one-upmanship, a rare moment of generosity or luck and timing could all make it happen. All Somaliland has to do is continue to pester the powers that be whilst securing the support of factions within its disputed borders to help and add a shine to its PR efforts.

All in all, one has to admit that for the north of the former republic of Somalia, things are starting to get pretty interesting indeed. Who shall fall to the Somaliland flood next, I wonder! Who will stop swimming against the tide? Who will ditch the blue flag? Could it be you? Won't it be you? May god let it be you! smile.gif

Xoogsade   

The dream looks more real when the south seems to be in an endless cycle of violence and falling apart. That is nothing new. Next year this time Somalilanders might still be dreaming.

Principled men do not abandon their sacrosanct cause, and with regards to Somalia, the Blue flag and a united country is nothing short of sacred. Those men who are to switch or switched to the northern province of Somalia were not honest men to begin with. It turned out their scheme to hit a gold mine hit a snag and Somaliland is where the gold is for now---> Money. When the south comes to shine, All else will look nothing compared to the Giant the south is. Majority will reign supreme as they had been and the minorities who tried to take advantage of troubled somalis, those who worked to tear apart what every somali holds dear, will tow the line willingly or unwillingly. Plus history will despise such somalis for eternity.

Xudeedi   

Do not get me wrong, strayed! brothers and sisters of Makhir/Sanag. I do understand why many of you are in Hargeisa. Few of you were born and raised in the area and are basically at home; few others are
inan layaalo
and are possibly marooned in that city; some maybe long-time residents conducting business there; others live there because Hargeisa is a relatively livable place compared to many other Somali towns; to be sure, several of you are there to distance yourselves from
those in Makhir/Sanag that have made cottage industry out of flaming the fires of fitna within the community
as a means of securing their daily rice-bowl; and, a number of you are no doubt disgusted with the idiocy that permeates the poorly administered state of
Puntland,
where a greedy, arrogant cabal, that can not shoot straight, calls the shots.

I have no doubt that this small par of Fatah places the Northern predicament in a clear picture and it is time we come to find out the right solution of such seemingly embedded obstacles that are the product of wrong decisions and cultural assumptions.

The future is under the control of Makhiris to embark on new thinking and approach in dealing first with the problems in their region and then coming back to participating a new revolution that might save our country from the grip of a 21st century colonialism in Somaila by Ethio-West coalition and their implimentation of explicit policies(the South) and implicit policies (the North).

Jamster   

"Thirdly, when I compared the exodus of people to Somaliland as opposed to those going in the other direction, I did it specifically for the purpose of highlighting the issue of treachery and selling out one's principles/people. A passing Somaliland imbecile might bask in the thought that this treachery is a trait of those hailing from Makhir or Sool/Sanag! However, any rational person would easily dismiss such arguments and rather speculate about better and nobler reasons for such a transfer of allegiances! Surely if it were simple treachery we would have had many Somaliland leaders (and their followers) making the same move in the past seventeen years (instead of having the odd individual that lacks any clannish backing). Why is this not the case in the parts and people that decided to rejoin Somaliland recently?"

OOh! That happened in the 90s with C/raxmaan tuur and his whole G clan rooting for Ceydid'd Salbalaar government and there was that inter clan war between the suuf alool and C/raxmaan Tuur's clan--- I know long time ago, perhaps SSC needs to go through that in order to find its feet!.