Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

THE ICU CEREMONY IN AFGOYE: A GREAT FARCE

THE ICU CEREMONY IN AFGOYE: A GREAT FARCE

source

By Ali Said Faqi Ph.D.

October 1, 2006

I followed with great interest the publicized ceremony of the handover of the lower Shabelle to the ICU that was held in Afgoye on September 30, 2006. The ceremony was well organized and seems to be well attended. I was personally touched by the Speech of Mr. Indha Adde, particularly when he asked the public to be judged on his actions and requested for forgiveness. I believe that was a sincere statement and I applauded for his courage. Though he commended himself of doing a great job and to have provided financial support to ICU, money he unveiled to have been collected from the poor people of Lower Shabelle; however, he never discussed or admitted that his administration was from its inception an illegal one that exploited the locals as well as the resources of the region. I had the impression also that the participants of the ceremony deliberately ignored the quandary of the natives of the region and the pain they endured for the last 16 years. In fact no one addressed the abuses and the humiliations inflicted to the indigenous people of the region. Instead every one who spoke rather chose to heavily condemn the public uproar that was directed towards the special treatment of the illegal administration of Lower Shabelle and called the criticism unwarranted maintaining the illegal administration of Mr. Indha Adde to have granted safety to the region. It must however, be stressed out that even the illegal administration of JVA was able to provide a relative safety to Kismayu, but yet the ICU still decided to go ahead and take over the city by force. This double standard approach of dealing with identical issues and lack of empathy from the ICU leaders really contradicts to the Islamic basic principles and raises a great deal of misgivings.

Regardless of all these incongruities the show seemed to be going well as planned until Mr. Sheikh Shariif came to the podium. The spokesperson of the ICU has created a paradox when he officially called for a moratorium to the handover of the region. As usual Mr. Sheikh Shariif is a man of nice words; he likes preaching before he gets to the real point to find ways to confuse his listeners. But this time we were very smart to read not only his lips, but also understand his maneuver. It was a very disappointing moment for many of us who are really committed to see a positive change in Somalia in general and in particular, the Lower Shabelle. Indeed, we were obligated to give the benefit of doubt to the ICU until we realized that it was a sham ceremony intended to blind and fool the public. In the last 3-4 months the ICU instituted Islamic administrations led by the locals in many districts outside of Mogadishu including Balad, Jowhar, Bulo- Burte, and Beledweyne. I honestly question why the handover of the lower Shabelle to its native should go through three phases as stated in the speech of Sheikh Shariif. It is my gut feeling that at the end nothing will ever change. I wish history to prove me wrong.

If the brutal exploitation of unarmed clans in the South is not an urgent issue for the ICU, I greatly doubt their seriousness to resolve Somali crises. As I alluded in one of my previous articles, the illegal occupation in the lower Shabelle is a cancer for the ICU and unfortunately it failed for the third time to grasp the golden opportunity to be a trusted religious organization committed to the justice of Somalia. I will still insist until proven wrong that clan allegiance has once again superseded the faith.

The wishy-washy attitude of the ICU towards the Lower Shabelle region is a clear sign of the ICU’s weakness towards distinguishing between faith and clan loyalty. The lower Shabelle is known to have the highest religious scholars in any region of Somalia. For those of you who are not aware, I like to jog your memory that SHEIKH AWEYS AL-QADIRI- the father of Islam in Somalia was born and raised in Lower Shabelle. Cities like Merca and Barawe in the Lower Shabelle used to be or are still the Mecca of Islam in Somalia. It is very clear that the natives of this region are not atheist or unbelievers, but their misery lies to the fact that they live in one of the finest area of Somalia. The discrimination of the natives of the South is a matter of survival for the occupiers and I doubt that they will ever release the region. Let us remind ourselves that this is Somalia, a country consumed by vicious wind of hatred and clan ideology based on domination of others.

On another note, I like to extend my support and admiration to the most beloved Somali cartoonist, Amin Amir who has done a stunning job educating the public with his political cartoons. Amin is well known to draw cartoons related to the most current issues of Somalia and his cartoons does not portray only the ICU’s flawed process, but also the TFG. A quick review of Mr. Amin’s cartoons would show that he has exposed cartoons related to pertinent issues in Somaliland and Puntland as well. The curse of Sheikh Shariif to Amin Amir will not intimidate us as we live in countries where the freedom of expression is the basic rights of every citizen. Sheikh Shariif must realize that he is no more a public school teacher in Mogadishu, but a national figure and he will be criticized or praised based on his political actions and performance. I am appalled by his continuous attempt to silence his critics. In a previous occasion he called the public to refrain themselves from passing judgments to the illegal administration in Lower Shabelle. Mr. Sharif’s latest attempt to silence Mr. Amir raises a lot of questions about his real personality. His words are those of an inexperienced politician, I am quite sure under his authority; the public might not be allowed to express their personal views. Finally, I like to remind him that Somalia is not a property of a specific community, but it is a country belonging to all of us including him. If you hate to be publicly criticized, the best choice for you will be to stay away from politics. Yesterday’s show in Afgoye was nothing, but a farce. I believe Amin Amir would have been the best man to express yesterday’s event in one simple cartoon than I did in two pages, but that is his talent which I greatly admire.

By Ali Said Faqi Ph.D.

Alifaqi@yahoo.com

Khayr   

Hmmm, why do those with 'fat bellies and a lap top' roar...oops, I mean squeek, so often and so much?

Amin Amir who has done a stunning job educating the public with his political cartoons. Amin is well known to draw cartoons related to the most current issues of Somalia and his cartoons does not portray only the ICU’s flawed process, but also the TFG. A quick review of Mr. Amin’s cartoons would show that he has exposed cartoons related to pertinent issues in Somaliland and Puntland as well. [/quote}

Just like any artist, Mr. Amin is only interested in his 'version' of the 'Painting'. Truth is a relative thing to an artist and is always a subjective matter.

Juje   

Originally posted by Khayr:

Truth is a relative thing to an artist and is always a subjective matter.

Indeed. Though it is always a nice feed back if the subject of his drawing has been irked by the display.

Juje   

Originally posted by Tahliil:

To many I think Amiri's drawings and artistic vision has a problem of inconsistency...

How do you measure the consistency of an art work?

bambo   

***************Please don't call other nomads names. Please respect the rules**********

[ October 03, 2006, 17:30: Message edited by: Admin ]

The clan occupier Dhuxulow says he respects the ICU and will not handover the control, but has already handed over the region. consued?, I know I am.

BARAAWE: Guddoomiyaha Degmada Baraawe oo ka hadlay maanta sababtii uu u soo xaadiri waayay xafladdii wareejinta Maamulka Gobolka Sh/hoose

Posted to the Web Oct 04, 11:58

Baraawe (PP) – C/llaahi Xaashi Dhuxuloow oo ah Guddoomiyaha degmada Baraawe ee Gobolka Shabeellada Hoose ayaa ka hadlay maanta markii ugu horreysay sababtii uu uga baaqsaday ka qaybgalka xafladdii lagu wareejiyay maamulka Shabeellada Hoose.

Guddoomiyaha haysta Degmada Baraawe ee Shabeellada Hoose ayaa wuxuu sheegay in xafladdaas uu ka soo qaybgeli lahaa balse uu ku mashquulay dil ka dhacay deegaannada uu madaxda ka yahay, waxaana uu sheegay in xafladda wareejinta ay ahayd mid uu isagu abaabulkeeda wax ku lahaa.

Dhuxuloow wuxuu si dhab ah u caddeyn waayay inuu ku qancay wareejinta lagu wareejiyay Maxkamadaha gobolka Shabeellada hoose, waxaana uu sheegay in wareejinta Gobolka ay tahay mid aan hadda dhicin, balse ahayd mid horay u dhacday oo ay raacsanaayeen Maxkamadaha iyo maamulkooda.

Mar wax laga weydiiyay in isaga iyo kooxaha haysta deegaanka Wanlaweyn oo ay isku haybta yihiin ay diideen inay wareejiyaan deegaannadooda ayaa sheegay inaysan diidin, balse ay ogol yihiin, wuxuuna sheegay inuu isagu weli ka yahay Degmada Baraawe Guddoomiyaha oo aan weli laga wareejin, wuxuuna inkiray in laga wareejin doono dhawaan.

"Siyaasiyiinta Gobolkaan u dhashay ayaa wada qorsha ah in la iga wareejiyo maamulka Degmada Baraawe, kuwaasna waa kuwo aan islam ahayn oo aan islaamnimada waxba ka aqoon, waxayna inta badan ka shaqeeyaan howlo aan wanaagsanayn oo ay ka mid tahay inay dacaayado naga sameeyaan haddii aan nahay maamulka Gobolka Shabeellada Hoose iyo degmooyinkiisaba" ayuu yiri C/llaahi Xaashi Dhuxuloow oo ka jawaabay su'aal ahayd inuu ka biyo diiday ra'yigii dadka deegaanka ay ugu soo jeediyeen inuu ku wareejiyo maamulka Deegaannadooda oo ay ka mid tahay Baraawe.

Maxamed Xuseen Jatiile

Wakiilka Puntlandpost - Mogadishu

E-mail: puntlandpostmog@hotmail.com

Haye, maxaa la kala wareejiye?

Aawey dadkii alalasaaye?

The writer with a name like Faqi genuinely seems like an authentic native of Shabeellada, particularly reer Baraawe.

Wadaada ku sheega markee qabsadeen Dayniile, Balcad, Jowhar, Beledweyne dadka deegaanka u dhashay ayaa lagu wareejiye, oo dadkii kale hubka xoog loogu qaaday. Even the Turki of Kismaayo can be excused since dadkiisa degaan agagaarkaas.

But Shabeellaha Hoose?

Isn't Shaarub of Daafeed iyo Balidoogle still there?

What about Dhuxuloow. Oh, he already talked and kicking.

And Cirfe of Afgooye, the xaaraan ku naaxaa beerahii dowladii hore wada heysto, living several mansions dadka leh xataa uu ogeyn. Isn't he still there?

And, oh, lest we forgot kaaba laadarka of them all: Indhamadoowe.

What a PR stunt that was. I am more dumbfounded by those who fell for for these cheap antics, as though wax weyn inay soo socdaan ama is badalay.

Gacanta midig ayaa gacanta bidix wax u dhiibtay, and it is news! What exactly changed, indeed?

Ms DD   

Salaam aleykum MM

I can understand that you are sceptical and i am too. But i think the Courts are selecting their battles for now which is wise thing to do for the moment. They have many enemies and it really doesnt make sense to wage a war on those who fought along side you. Having said this, i was just reading this following report and i dont know how accurate it is:

MUQDISHO: Khilaaf Xooggan oo soo dhexgalay xubno ka tirsan Maxkamadaha oo isku haysta Shabeellada Hoose

Posted to the Web Oct 05, 10:46

Muqdisho (PP) - Waxaa jira khilaaf soo xoogeysanaya oo u dhexeeya Yuusuf Indho-cadde oo ah Guddoomiyaha guddiga ammaanka ee Maxkamadaha dhawaanna afka ka wareejiyay maamulka Shabeellada Hoose iyo Aadan Xaashi Cayroow oo ah sarkaal ka tirsan Maxkamadaha.

Labada xubnood oo ka soo wada jeeda hal beel ayaa la sheegay in khilaafkooda uu ka abuuray wareejintii Maamulka Gobolka Shabeellada Hoose, waxaana warar hoose oo ay heshay Puntlandpost sheegayaan in Aadan Xaashi Cayroow uu doonayo in la wareejiyo hubka Yuusuf Indho-cadde iyo xubnaha kale ee gobolka Shabeellada Hoose horay uga talin jiray.

Khilaafka ayaa la sheegay inuu yahay mid aad u xoogeysanaya ayaa la sheegay inuu marayo halkii ugu xumayd, waxaana wararka soo gaaraya Puntlandpost qaarkood ay tibaaxayaan in Aadan Xaashi Cayroow uu billaabay inuu kala eryo ciidammo uu laba bilood ka hor ku ururiyay Yuusuf Indho-cadde Deegaanka Laanta buuro kuwaasoo la sheegay in loo tababarayo Maxkamadaha.

Aadan Xaashi Cayroow ayaa la sheegay inuu ku qasbay Madaxda Maxkamadaha qaarkood in si toos ah loo wareejiyo gobolka haddii kale ay dagaallo ka dhici karaan gobolkaas, waxaana uu sheegay in caddaaladdu ay tahay mid dadka simaysa balse aan cidna dhan la noqonayn.

Arrintaan ayaa wararku waxay sheegayaan inay sababi karto dagaallo ka dhex billowday xubnaha is haya, waxaana warar qaarkood ay dhanka kale tibaaxayaan inay jiraan dadaallo ay wadaan xubno ka tirsan Maxkamadaha oo lagu qaboojinayo arrintaas.

Puntlandpost.com

^^ Go Ayroow Go Go, Do something about it hadaad run sheegaysiin ... By the way why shouldn't he became the head of the Security instead of Indha'adde. I can trust him more than the rest... Has he ever spoken on a Radio, ever made a statement? I think he's more like Mullah Omar neither cares about the Media no Camerra flash captures him - simply not permissable around him.

Ramadaan Saciid...