BN

Vote for a new Somali capital

whats up guys, im new to this site, but not new to this topic no cheap somali politics.

i have to thank you all for sharing your opinion with me, without raising any sensitive issues, thats the true modern somali way...its all about opinion...there is no right or wrong...but state why you think your right...do you have any evidence to suport you...

let me now get on with da topic.

choosing a new capital is complex task. However here is what i believe, i believe mogadishu was a great city...it was truely a fasinating city wiht many modern activities, not to mention qabil diversity....also for 20 years the government spent 80% of the GDP (Grocess Domestic Product: da country's total income).

Mogadishu was therefore the capital, largest and commercial centre of Somalia.

however today, its not the same, i believe we should start from scratch a new Capital city, some way in the centre of Somalia..exactly same distance from South-North and from West-East.

maybe we should call it Capital. "casimada Capital"

Blessed   

I agree with MMA. Muqdishu should be the capital of Somalia simply because it has the appropriate structures of a caasimad in place.

Hargaisa that of Somliland for the above reasons.

Meaning of capital is what?

meens of more population more tarnportation, more peace. and stabiliyt.

no one can servive with out peace

look the map. where do think it is stable... sure it is Bari Regoin Puntland somalia.

specialy Qardho Regoin....

eeg raaxada iyo wanaaga qardho.

Gabbal   

I'll name the city i'll choose in several languages: Mogadishu, Mogadicio, Muqdisho, Makadisha, Xamar cadey,etc.

A city of thousands of years of history. A well established and recorded history. Did you know that Muqdisho is Persian (farsi), meaning the Seat of The Shah?

Lets stick with what we already have, please lets not complicate things, just because an oppurtunity represents itself.

MMA

I do agree with what u said about the weather, but i believe Mogdishu is not economically well off then the rest of somalia. I would say sool and sanaag (puntland and somaliland) are economically well off!

I say vote for XAMAR CADEEEEEEY!!!! ;)

BN   

HornAfik,

Moqdishu might be 1,ooo years old but it has only been the capital of Somalia for 31 years(1960-1991). If my math is right thats only 3.1% of Xamar's whole existence. :D

There are many older somali cities then Xamar. Take Zaila(or berbera bosaso or maydh)which has existed since the days of the pharoahs and are mentioned by Greeks chinese hindu arabs etc. icon_razz.gif

So we should keep xamar as the capital of all Somalis because they were the capital for 3.1% of their history.... :confused:

Or maybe your saying that since Xamar was built by persians--that's the reason it should be the capital?!?

Let's Not Make The Same Mistake TWICE. ;)

P.S.

Gabbal   

No, Bari_Nomad, do not mistake me brotha. I am not downplaying the historical significence of other Somali cities nor am suggesting that since the Persians started the Muqdisho that it should be the capital of a future Somali Democratic Republic.

But what I am saying is that of all the cities on the Somali coast, Muqdisho was the greatest and I have prove to back me up, and that is why it was chosen as the capital.

Here is an excerpt from the famous Ibn Battuta's travels:

Ibn Battuta sails along the east coast of Africa pp. 110-112

I took ship at Aden, and after four days at sea reached Zayla [Zeila, on the African coast], the town of the Berberah, who are a mixed people. Their land is a desert extending for two months' journey from Zayla to Maqdashaw [Mogadishu]. Zayla is a large city with a great bazaar, but it is the dirtiest, most abominable, and most stinking town in the world. The reason for the stench is the quantity of its fish and the blood of the camels that they slaughter in the streets. When we got there, we chose to spend the night at sea, in spite of its extreme roughness, rather than in the town, because of its filth.

The town of Mogadishu in Somalia

On leaving Zayla we sailed for fifteen days and came to Maqdasha [Mogadishu], which is an enormous town. Its inhabitants are merchants and also of mixed stock and have many camels, of which they slaughter hundreds every day [for food]. When a vessel reaches the port, it is met by sumbuqs, which are small boats, in each of which are a number of young men, each carrying a covered dish containing food. He presents this to one of the merchants on the ship saying "This is my guest," and all the others do the same. Each merchant on disembarking goes only to the house of the young man who is his host, except those who have made frequent journeys to the town and know its people well; these live where they please. The host then sells his goods for him and buys for him, and if anyone buys anything from him at too low a price, or sells to him in the absence of his host, the sale is regarded by them as invalid. This practice is of great advantage to them.

We stayed there [in Mogadishu] three days, food being brought to us three times a day, and on the fourth, a Friday, the qadi and one of the wazirs brought me a set of garments. We then went to the mosque and prayed behind the [sultan's] screen. When the Shaykh came out I greeted him and he bade me welcome. He put on his sandals, ordering the qadi and myself to do the same, and set out for his palace on foot. All the other people walked barefooted. Over his head were carried four canopies of coloured silk, each surmounted by a golden bird. After the palace ceremonies were over, all those present saluted and retired.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe we should have 3 different capitals, don't you think? Each city an administrative, legislative, or judicial capital? Is that a possibility.

47 minutes ago, Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar said:

18 years later on SOL, we are still debating about this miyaa?

The scary n unfortunate part is how little has changed in 18 years.

Arafaat   
On 3/29/2003 at 5:59 PM, Gabbal said:

No, Bari_Nomad, do not mistake me brotha. I am not downplaying the historical significence of other Somali cities nor am suggesting that since the Persians started the Muqdisho that it should be the capital of a future Somali Democratic Republic.

But what I am saying is that of all the cities on the Somali coast, Muqdisho was the greatest and I have prove to back me up, and that is why it was chosen as the capital.

Here is an excerpt from the famous Ibn Battuta's travels:

Ibn Battuta sails along the east coast of Africa pp. 110-112

I took ship at Aden, and after four days at sea reached Zayla [Zeila, on the African coast], the town of the Berberah, who are a mixed people. Their land is a desert extending for two months' journey from Zayla to Maqdashaw [Mogadishu]. Zayla is a large city with a great bazaar, but it is the dirtiest, most abominable, and most stinking town in the world. The reason for the stench is the quantity of its fish and the blood of the camels that they slaughter in the streets. When we got there, we chose to spend the night at sea, in spite of its extreme roughness, rather than in the town, because of its filth.

The town of Mogadishu in Somalia

On leaving Zayla we sailed for fifteen days and came to Maqdasha [Mogadishu], which is an enormous town. Its inhabitants are merchants and also of mixed stock and have many camels, of which they slaughter hundreds every day [for food]. When a vessel reaches the port, it is met by sumbuqs, which are small boats, in each of which are a number of young men, each carrying a covered dish containing food. He presents this to one of the merchants on the ship saying "This is my guest," and all the others do the same. Each merchant on disembarking goes only to the house of the young man who is his host, except those who have made frequent journeys to the town and know its people well; these live where they please. The host then sells his goods for him and buys for him, and if anyone buys anything from him at too low a price, or sells to him in the absence of his host, the sale is regarded by them as invalid. This practice is of great advantage to them.

We stayed there [in Mogadishu] three days, food being brought to us three times a day, and on the fourth, a Friday, the qadi and one of the wazirs brought me a set of garments. We then went to the mosque and prayed behind the [sultan's] screen. When the Shaykh came out I greeted him and he bade me welcome. He put on his sandals, ordering the qadi and myself to do the same, and set out for his palace on foot. All the other people walked barefooted. Over his head were carried four canopies of coloured silk, each surmounted by a golden bird. After the palace ceremonies were over, all those present saluted and retired.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maybe we should have 3 different capitals, don't you think? Each city an administrative, legislative, or judicial capital? Is that a possibility.

Mogadishu is a great city, and the more reason you would want to keep it a Capital, but need try to regain it’s commercial and touristic significance on the Indian Ocean again.

And remove the dirty politics and politicians from Mogadishu by moving the Seat of Government to a new location to be developed somewhere in the hinterland, somewhere on the border between the Nomadic Pastoralist and the more-Pastor-Agrarian communities, somewhere between the Maay and Mahaa Tidhi dialect speakers, somewhere in the middle of it all, somewhere where people are versed in clan and clan politics, in war and peace, somewhere between Hiiraan and Mudug regions. 🙂