Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

Interim Statement Of The Somaliland Observers On The South African Elections Of 14 Ap

LANDER   

Interim Statement Of The Somaliland Observers On The South African Elections Of 14 April 2004

Apr 22 2004 South Africa(Somaliland Net) - The Somaliland observer delegation -consisting of 16 participants from the Somaliland Electoral Commission,Ahmed Hagi Ali Adami Chairperson: Somaliland National Electoral Commission

The Somaliland observer delegation -consisting of 16 participants from the Somaliland Electoral Commission, the 3 political parties in Somaliland, women’s formations and members of the Somaliland Journalist Association- congratulate the people of South Africa.

As an African delegation from the Horn of Africa, which has just experienced its presidential democratic election (the first since 1968), we are most proud to have been associated with the people of South Africa. It was a landmark occasion. For the first time since 1994, a Somaliland electoral observer delegation has observed a South African election and received accreditation as observers from the South African Independent Electoral Commission (IEC).

We thank the IEC, the government of South Africa, our facilitators Dr Chris Landsberg of the prestigious Centre for Policy Studies and the University of South Africa and, the people of South Africa for allowing us to be part of your critical history in the making.

A detailed report of our observations and experiences in consolidating democracy will be made available to the IEC, as well as the various institutions supporting this delegation.

We wish the people of South Africa and the African National Congress the very best for their future. We are confident that South Africa is the democracy capital of Africa.

DETAILS OF OBSERVER TEAM:

On voting day, 16th April, and the 15th of April, we note the following:

The 16 observers were deployed to the following areas:

• Soweto

• Mamelodi

• Houghton

• Wierda Park, Centurion

• Coblyn Park, Pretoria

• IEC Result Centre, Pretoria

Our observers were able to observe voting in 16 polling stations. Observers attended the opening, closing and counting at the polling stations. Polling stations opened on time and voting got underway as planned.

Our delegation members were fortunate to be the only international observers present, when President Thabo Mbeki and Mr. Nelson Mandela casted their votes.

In general the observer delegation concluded that the voting process was systematic, peaceful, free and fair.

For further details, contact the operations center at + 27 82 880 8603

( 082 880 8603 )

More details on Somaliland’s experience see: http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/pubs/umrabulo/umrabulo18/success.html

I like where this is headed, we do have oppurtunity to learn from our South African brothas

whazzup with this! i means, this has no value what so ever!! non-significant postings need to cease!

i mean, if a goat gets an orgasim in hargaeysa, do i have to hear about it!! plz!!

gimme the haruumar staff, spair me the azz kissing crab!!

A$$ All

i mean, if a goat gets an orgasm in hargeysa, do i have to hear about it!! plz!!

You never disappoint me! looooooooooooool!

Keep up doing what you do best, boy.

Valid question, though.

Rudy, I think you are being too harsh on Lander.

I found this article to be a postive article about elections and Africans establishing a fair system for themselves. I love the concept of "observers" because that is one step forward for us. This article is better than many worthless comments posted daily on here.

Let the nomads post freely as long as they are staying within the rules of the website.

Don't you agree brother?

i sure was not against the post but how it was presented! i was just against how the matter was presented. its was more of a chuff it in fyi or on your face information!

poster didnt present how he felt about the info but rather did copy/paste procedure which give me a bragging impression!

therefore, my candid reply! i hope this trip will educate our sland folks to embrace and allow parties of different view and not just those who toe the line!! my 2 cents.

LANDER   

Rudy,

I posted this article because I thought some might find it informative. Democratic reforms both in Somaliland and South Africa are of interest to me and I thought I would share it with others, and by the way I did comment on the article. Last few lines if you had bothered to read the whole thing you would've noticed.

I like where this is headed, we do have oppurtunity to learn from our South African brothas

Unfortunately I did not have time to write more.

Believe it or not I don't post articles to score political points with others, you might notice I post a variety of articles the few times that I actually post them. If it really bothers you to hear the word Somaliland mentioned I suggest you skip articles like these, nobody is shoving them down your throat. Knowledge no matter the source is still knowledge, I believe a wise man by the name of Confucius said that once. Even the orgasming sheep in Hargeisa could teach ya a thing or two my newlywed friend :D .

Back to the article,

I'm glad to see the electoral commission of Somaliland implicating themselves in learning from other democracies around the world, even though South Africa's is quite young, I'm sure it was a great learning experience none the less. In a continent with few democracies I think South Africa is quite an exemplary model despite their own small problems. Maybe this will allow the next Somaliland general election to be better organized and counted. I'm not sure what you mean by parties who toe the line Rudy, The three main parties that already exist have significant differences, that being said if there are views that are left unrepresented I sincerely do hope other parties imerge. Perhaps you would like to see an ultra somali-nationalist party that would advocate unification? who knows it might happen as this infantile democracy grows. Rudy maybe you could be its first leader :D , mind you you'd be seen as the ultra right wing conservatives in Somaliland politics.

India   

Rudy

Your comment above is bang out of order mate!

Like lander said if the mentionand sigh of Somaliland( bless be thy name)is not to your liking then turn away brother. Dont hurl insults, it will only go to reveal your true colors and they are not looking pretty I tell ya.

Lander

Like the signiture mucho.

Here is a french proverb I picked for this occasion:

Fols sont sages quand ils se taisent. Very befitting dont u think ;)

Hey Lander am learning French and I just can not digest the subjective. Soite etre????? why they gotta complicate every thing. Even the arabic grammer was not that bad to master "fil , fail wa maful" *lol*

Dusty

India   

Rudy

Your comment above is bang out of order mate!

Like lander said if the mention and sight of Somaliland( bless be thy name)is not to your liking then turn away brother. Dont hurl insults, it will only go to reveal your true colors and they are not looking pretty I tell ya.

Lander

Fols sont sages quand ils se taisent. Very befitting dont u think

Hey Lander am learning French and I just can not digest the subjective. Soite etre????? why they gotta complicate every thing. Even the arabic grammer was not that bad to master "fil , fail wa maful" *lol*

Dusty

AYOUB   

Originally posted by LANDER:

Even the orgasming sheep in Hargeisa could teach ya a thing or two my newlywed friend
:D

:D:D

Thanks for that article.

love, peace and nafaqo

Qudhac   

Even the orgasming sheep in Hargeisa could teach ya a thing or two my newlywed friend

I think this sheep can teach something to alota people in here indeed :D

but to go back to the issue i think this is a very good experiance for for somalilands monitering team after all we are very new to running effective democracy, so are for south africa for that matter and i think this will benefit alot somaliland and somalis over all.

i agree with libaax 100% an isue like this is much better than alot of the stuff that gets discussed in here.

Gediid   

My sister was part of that delegation and was one of the fortunate ones to meet Nelson Mandela in person.That is experience all by itself.I'm sure they learned a lot that they can try to duplicate in the parliamentary elections due sometime next year.

Lander!

yo, lets talk while the goat is sleeping ok!

i agree with your later comment bro! i say bravo!

i didnt get to the last since by then, i was spitting blood!!

i just didnt dig, me getting a raw doze of sland, u know what i mean!~ as far as your other point,

u count on your first born, that snationalist is me! so one warm nice day, i will give a place to rest your tired bone, when goats take over sland

dont fret bro!

to the cheerleaders & guulwadyaasha! well just go the whole yall crawled from!! na'mean! lolol.. india! french proverb!! plz anything but french! aigt lol...

LANDER   

Originally posted by India:

Lander

Fols sont sages quand ils se taisent. Very befitting dont u think

Dusty

:D Dusty, I like your proverb its a classic.

Indeed the verb "être" is one of the more difficult verbs to conjugate in the french language. Once you master the two auxiliaries être and Avoir I'm sure you'll be fine, and you can always take a short trip across the english channel to speed up the process ;) . Good luck in your endeavours.