Sign in to follow this  
Nur

An Open Letter To Brother Sheikh Godane

Nur   

eNuri Softwano Series

Coming Attraction:

An Open Letter To Sheikh Axmad Godane of the Xarakatul Shabaabul Mujaahideen.

eNuri, a World Peace Organization has brought you moving controversial proposals to make peace in Somalia, as far back as 2004, way before the rise of Islamic Courts in these SOL Pages

At that distance time, my Nomad audience laughed at my efforts in bridging cultural gaps and paradigm shifting proposal.

Later in the Summer of 2006, The ICU, Islamic Courts Union swept to power, which gave me a renewed hope for Somalia, and with an optimist heart I had to plea bargain with the then world Leader to give peace in Somalia a chance right from my bed with an Islamist olive branch, and I warned the world leader that if he fails to listen to my Give Peace A Chance plea, that, in no time, Africa will burn, and that at the end the fire will reach his backyard. Today, His backyard as well as Kampala are Burning as I warned the World Leader.

In This thread, I am addressing yet another leader, Sheikh Axmed Godane of the Xarakatul Shababul Mujaahideen of Somalia and I pray, that he takes my advice (Hoping his Apple iPad works in Kismaayo) ;)

Nur

2010 eNuri Give-Peace-A-Chance Movement

"He Is A Fool Who Makes His Doctor His Heir" Ben Franklin!

Warmoog   

Good initiative, Nur. Though I don't think the Shabaab leaders would listen to anything I have to say, seeing as they don't even listen to the 'ulema, it is worthwhile to have threads like this for the sake of enjoining good and forbidding evil in a general sense and exchanging ideas. There is a lot wrong with the Shabaab. Some of it can perhaps be said to be a continuation of questionable beliefs and practices they inherited from their predecessors among the political Islamic groups in Somalia and some of it seems to be foreign, un-Islamic elements they have adopted from external sources.

I think all of the anti-occupation groups did much good in fighting the occupation and, by Allah's Mercy, most of the foreign troops were forced to leave within a relatively short period of time. But the Ethiopian withdrawal and the TFG's makeover were part of a change in strategy on the part of the US and its allies--from one of confrontation by proxy to one of mainly Divide & Rule--and, unfortunately, I think the groups that were known as the Muqaawama generally failed to properly adjust to that strategy and rise above it.

They all lost some credit with me for that reason alone. The Shabaab, however, have gone off the deep end to such an extent that their self-defeating policies and excesses only make sense when you view its leadership as assets of foreign interests. (Their taking credit for the recent Kampala bombings only reinforces that idea.) That is a very unpleasant realization to make when you are hoping for an independent, Islamic alternative to all of the fragmented puppet entities throughout Somalia and instead, you find seemingly opposing sides that they are almost all puppets. I think the roots of the Shabaab's problems lie in their leadership's failure to do the following five things:

1. Adhere to what Allah has revealed, rule by it, and stay upon the middle path

2. Safeguard the collective interests of our people and the well-being of civilians

3. Have substance: a coherent political program, visible leadership, and open decision-making processes

4. Remain under the guidance of the 'ulema and people of knowledge

5. Know who their real enemies are and why they are fighting them

In all fairness, just about every other political group and entity in Somalia can be said to be guilty of some, most, or all of the abovementioned points, but of course it does not make them any less true in the case of the Shabaab.

^^alshabaab responded to your above pionts

they say,

1- that is what we do, and what we are all about

2-that is why we die, and will continue to sacriface our blood

3- we have kitaab and sunnah, it gives a coherent agenda, and teh best guide

4- somali ulema, are ulumaa u dolars, and have revealed thier murjia aqiida lately

5- we know our enemy ; it's those we fight

Jacpher   

Haven't we seen this movie already?

To be precise,

Original release date: 1991

Letter Sender: Itixaad group

Letter Recipient: Gen Caydiid

Plot: Araare Bridge, Jamaame

And we all know how it ended.

Nur   

Nomads

I have almost completed the script of the advice open letter. InshAllah, and in the spirit of Ramadan, my advice has a better chance resonating with the Sheikh. I am leaning toward doing it in Somali language, because, the Sheikh prefers it that way, and many Somali translators will get a job!

Nur

Nur   

Nomads

After completing a quasi serious, quasi lampoon eNuri advice piece for the leader of the Shabaab movement in Somalia ( Listed as a Terror group by the US State Department), and after consulting with the eNuri Lawyers before posting the article, I regret to inform my readers that I have voluntarily suspended the "advice" which in part objected to certain violent behavior such as the exposure of innocent civilian casualties at cross fire. However, as noble as that advice might have been for saving lives, eNuri lawyers maintain that under the current geopolitical atmosphere, it can be construed as the provision of "Expert Advice" which is illegal under the directive of Big Brother on our shoulders.

The Law:

(1). It is unlawful for a person in the United States or subject to the jurisdiction of the United States (Which is Most Of The World Where American Aircraft and Drone Carriers Can reach You) (italics are eNuri explanation), to knowingly provide "material support or resources" to a designated FTO. (The term "material support or resources" is defined in 18 U.S.C. § 2339A(b)

As " any property, tangible or intangible, or service, including currency or monetary instruments or financial securities, financial services, lodging, training, expert advice or assistance, safe-houses, false documentation or identification, communications equipment, facilities, weapons, lethal substances, explosives, personnel (1 or more individuals who maybe or include oneself), and transportation, except medicine or religious materials.” 18 U.S.C. § 2339A(b)

(2)Provides that for these purposes “the term ‘training’ means instruction or teaching designed to impart a specific skill, as opposed to general knowledge.” 18 U.S.C. § 2339A(b)

(3) Further provides that for these purposes the term ‘expert advice or assistance’ means advice or assistance derived from scientific, technical or other specialized knowledge .’[/i]

Source

Nur

BiLaaL   

^ Well reasoned.

In lieu of your address to brother Godane, you might want to listen to these insightful responses from some of our most learned and esteemed Culuma. In line with their profound knowledge of the deen, their carefully chosen words are as articulate as they're full of wisdom. One can only hope that their irrefutable arguments find an attentive ear from Godane and those he commands sooner rather than later - for the sake of our country and people.

Kulanka Jimcaha

Sh Cumar Faaruuq

Nur   

Bilal Bro.

There is no doubt that our Scholars have contributed immensely to the Islamic enlightenment of our people, The transformation of Somalia from a secular leaning country to an Islamic Sharia governed country took their tremendous efforts both at home and overseas, Allaha ka aqbalo dadaalkooga, Jannoyinkana haka waraabiyo, amin.

As much as the scholars have contributed, our Somali mothers and sisters have also taken upon themselves a huge solitary responsibility in raising their kids, wearing many hats, from Quraan coach, cook, counselor and soccer moms, often alone and without a male figure in the house to give direction to a generation that have not known peace, to this segment, my duaa for an everlasting Paradise.

Back home, Brother Sheikh Godane and the youth he commands, have single handedly carved a Sovereign army to replace the bloody warlords in order to establish a peaceful law and order state, and to their credit, the departure of the Ethiopian Mercenaries, the appointment of an Islamist president ( As the lesser evil from the neocon's perspective), and the establishment of Islam as the inheritor of tribalism and the defacto law of the land, from Zeilac, Somaliland, Puntland, Mudug and the south of Somalia.

The Scholars, Somali mothers and the Somali resistance ( AS and Hizb) have all good intentions, have scored remarkable successes in their respective spheres of influence, at the same time, to different degrees, all of them have shortcomings and gross errors are logged against them, (by the way, that includes me and you and everyone else, no one is blameless).

Its in that spirit that I have offered my advice, not as holier-than-thou kind of of advice, but as a fellow Nomad who feels the pain of the people, and is hopeful for peace to flourish in Somalia.

Nur

BiLaaL   

Bro Nur,

I appreciate the spirit in which you’ve offered your advice. The three groups you’ve outlined have all contributed immensely but, as you point out, each has its own shortcomings. I find no fault with such a premise.

The critical question, one which you’ve briefly touched on in your reply, is how does one measure the shortcomings lumped against each group? In other words - how does one compare the shortcomings of a scholar who has failed to properly intervene in a local dispute against the shortcomings of a movement whose actions (i.e. lack of foresight, intransigence etc) literally holds a whole nation to ransom and prolongs the suffering of the displaced.

I would argue that the matter is not so straight-forward if each group’s shortcomings is placed on a scale and measured according to the potential damage it can cause to Somali society and ultimately to the nation.

Having finally broken foreign stranglehold over our nation's affairs, the resistance find themselves in a very powerful position. They’re in a position to either reconstitute our country or set it back another 20 years. They can reconstitute it by engaging in dialogue with the TFG and reaching a viable power sharing agreement with them or they can continue on their current path and slowly disintegrate from within; thereby ensuring the return of foreign domination and even complete subjugation of the Somali people.

Another point I’d like to briefly comment on is the notion that the resistance (AS and HI) have achieved the successes they have, all on their own. There is no doubting that what the resistance have achieved, and the timeframe in which they’ve done it, is truly remarkable. However, as Sh. Bashiir Salaad (Chairman of the Somali Scholars Assoc) recently pointed out, the resistance (espciallay AS) have so far failed to realise that their victories aren’t theirs alone. The victories AS enjoyed during the struggle against the Ethiopian occupation came about as a result of a collective struggle in which all Somalis valiantly partook in – including our esteemed Culuma.

Regrettably, this is a fact that AS are yet to acknowledge. They seem to think that the victory is all theirs and thereby the decisions on how to run the country must thus be theirs to decide. The scholars have condemned this attitude as un-Islamic (true Jihad is not about worldly gains or in its preoccupation) and lacking in wisdom.

In a nutshell, the scholars arguments’ centre on the fundamental necessity and need for the Somali people to urgently establish a statehood – especially in a country which hasn’t had one for a long time. The scholars, with their vast knowledge of Islam and its history, are adamant that the resistances’ lack of interest to engage in serious dialogue with the TFG is against what the religion itself would call for. The scholars argue that Islam is more than the rudimentary set of guidelines that some of these groups have reduced it to. They argue that whenever Islam’s guidelines are properly followed, it carries the potential - as it always had - to bring about positive change.

One of the scholars quoted the following ayat in Surat Al-Baqarah, verse 208, in response to AS’ refusal to engage in meaningful dialogue.

“O you who believe! Enter perfectly in Islâm (by obeying all the rules and regulations of the Islâmic religion)”

The scholar further explains that this verse commands believers to adhere to all of Islam’s commandments, including that of always of inclining onto the path of peace and reconciliation, even when one has the upper hand. What a sublime call!

Nur   

Bilaal Bro.

You write:

The critical question, one which you’ve briefly touched on in your reply, is how does one measure the shortcomings lumped against each group?

Akhi, like the human body, a nation that is bound by a single faith which it draws its only cohesive force, needs all of its members to pool together their efforts to protect the continuity of its existence as per its belief system, aka Islam. To different degrees, all the groups have contributed to the success as well as the failures that we are witnessing, pointing a finger on a single group only shows frustration. Frustration happens when priorities collide and we differ on which priority is in the best interest of our existence without compromising on the principles that bind us all and the eternal commitment to our maker, to establish the faith, and not to cause divisions that weaken us all.

You continue:

In other words - how does one compare the shortcomings of a scholar who has failed to properly intervene in a local dispute against the shortcomings of a movement whose actions (i.e. lack of foresight, intransigence etc) literally holds a whole nation to ransom and prolongs the suffering of the displaced.

Akhi, it can be argued that some of our sincere scholars have inspired many young people who have joined the resistance, and without their inspiration, I doubt that we would have gotten rid of the vampire warlords in the battle of Mogadishu back in summer of 2006. Isn't strange that the entire world was comfortable with the bloody warlords 16 years reign of terror and when we got rid of them, suddenly, we become a dangerous nation shaking the structures of the United Nations and the African Union?

You Argue:

I would argue that the matter is not so straight-forward if each group’s shortcomings is placed on a scale and measured according to the potential damage it can cause to Somali society and ultimately to the nation.

True, due to the different roles scholars and resistance play, its not easy to benchmark who has contributed to either the success or the failures before us. Silence at times can be more devastating that action.

You continue:

Having finally broken foreign stranglehold over our nation's affairs, the resistance find themselves in a very powerful position.

The credit doesn't go neither to the resistance, nor to scholars, nor to the people, it was Allah's alone who won the battle of Mogadishu, against all odds. This point is fundamental Aqeedah issue, it was a victory of biblical proportions, the only missing character was that of Prophet Moses ( Aleyhi salaam)

You continue

They’re in a position to either reconstitute our country or set it back another 20 years.

This assumption is based on premise that:

1. The resistance have brought about the first phase of victory against the invaders.

2. The invaders are right and Allah is wrong.

3. The invaders backers are more powerful than Allah.

Based on the above premises comes your solution:

1. They can reconstitute it by engaging in dialogue with the TFG and reaching a viable power sharing agreement with them

2. Or they can continue on their current path and slowly disintegrate from within; thereby ensuring the return of foreign domination and even complete subjugation of the Somali people.

Akhi, Is there a third possible outcome that they will prevail?

Now, let us be objective and ask what are the priorities at this stage?

We have the following main priorities:

1. Setting up of a national government

2. Saving lives

3. Safeguarding Islam and Implementation of Sharia

A good question to ask at this point would be which one of the priorities above would guarantee the others?

As you have suggested, the first priority requires some compromises and power sharing with the TFG. Your assumption is that because the warlords in the TFG have the backing of superpowers, and without representing the superpowers in the local Somali politics, the superpower would be worried that these kids will threaten the very existence of the superpowers, in other words, the warlords are agents of the Superpowers and the real war is between the superpowers and the resistance groups. So, if we take this route, real peace and negotiations can be realized by cutting off the middlemen (TFG, Corrupt politicians and bloddy Warlords), and a direct face to face talks between the resistance and the superpowers, the real parties in the conflict. You and me know this wouldn't happen anytime soon, the King is shy of going nude!

In this Priority option, the major risk is as you have suggested, if the superpowers don't get their agents in the government, there will be no peace in Somalia.

According to you, the positive outcome by accommodating the bloody warlords and corrupt politicians of the TFG would be, peace to flourish in Somalia, strangely this is something that never happened in their reign of terror in the twenty years that they had the power and support of the Ethiopians and the superpower to do so.

Finally, if we start with saving lives as a priority, it will require some sort of law and order, which leads to the third priority, which is The Protection of the Faith and The Establishment of the Sharia Law and Order.

This is the crux of the conflict. The biggest headache the backers of the warlords have is the Sharia Law, not anarchy, because we had twenty years of anarchy under the warlords and that was fine with the west.

Initially, the backers of the consecutive failed Somali secular governments have excluded Islam and Sharia as a basis of governance, it was only after the victory of the resistance that drove the Ethiopians out of Somalia after two years of fierce liberation struggle which was preceded by the Islamic Courts Union's sweeping victory in 2006 ( ironically, what they hated the most was reincarnated as the only solution for Somalia, to their utter discomfort) and the failure of the Ethiopian Mercenary army to install a viable stooge secular government that prompted the hasty acceptance of the Superpowers of a watered down "Islamist included" government as a sugar coating for the naive, the truth of the matter is that the real power in the government of these strange bedfellows belongs to the donor backers of the warlords, and at the end, they will dictate how the Sharia should be interpreted via some of their expedient Hire-a-Sheikh scholar services.

Akhi, there are a wide spectrum of ideas on how to save Somalia, the closest idea to sanity is the one that is based on Maqassid ul Sharia (Moral of the Sharia Law), which makes the protection and conservation of the faith as the first priority.

In conclusion, its hard to believe that a government that includes national traitors, corrupt politicians and warlords to work for the best interest of establishing and protecting our faith in Somalia, which is the most important priority. If you wouldn't even trust these clowns with your own money, would you trust them with your faith and hence life, both the present and the hereafter?

Nur

BiLaaL   

Bro Nur,

Firstly, let me deal with the points you raised in relation to Aqeedah. When I proportioned the victories achieved against the warlords and the Ethiopian invaders between the different sections of Somali society, I was doing so in a rhetorical, secondary manner. The primary credit, as always, belongs to Allah alone; for indeed nothing occurs without the will and permission of Allah. Likewise, nothing can stop the will of Allah from taking place.

I find some of the premises you’ve outlined, relating to Aqeedah, very strange. I’m perplexed as to how you could reach such conclusions from my last post.

Nur writes: To different degrees, all the groups have contributed to the success as well as the failures that we are witnessing, pointing a finger on a single group only shows frustration.

It is not my intention to point fingers.The question pertaining to the degrees of shortcomings between the groups as well its resulting effects is a significant one.

Nur writes: Now, let us be objective and ask what are the priorities at this stage?

We have the following main priorities:

1. Setting up of a national government

2. Saving lives

3. Safeguarding Islam and Implementation of Sharia

As difficult as it may seem, I’m of the view that all three priorities are achievable but only if the resistance exercises effective wisdom, are strategic and forbearing. All three priorities are ones which have immense reward in the sight of Allah. Attaining these priorities will not be easy. It will require supreme farsightedness and an understanding that the establishment of the deen does not always have to happen through conquest. None of which the resistance have displayed thus far.

My insistence on reconciliation between the resistance and the TFG has nothing to do with the strength or otherwise of those backing the respective parties. It has more to do with a well established Islamic injunction, as practiced by our pious predecessors, of reaching ones goal with minimum bloodshed – especially when the main casualties are innocent fellow Muslims. This was the conduct of our beloved prophet (p.b.u.h) and his companions.

Nur writes: In this Priority option, the major risk is as you have suggested, if the superpowers don't get their agents in the government, there will be no peace in Somalia.

Well, how about if you bypass the superpowers and cut its agents a deal (again within the limits of the Shariah). You eliminate foreign influence in Somalia and bring an immediate end to suffering of the displaced, while at the same time realising your ultimate goal of ensuring that the word of Allah reigns supreme in our land. This is what is so frustrating about the whole situation. The resistance have not exerted enough effort in this area.

The opportunity seems to be fading now but if the resistance, in consultation with the Culuma, satisfy some of the TFG’s demands and the two form some kind of a unity government with Shariah as law of the country, there is very little the superpowers can do. They would effectively be cut out of the deal. Any further aggression from the superpowers would then be inexcusable and silly on their part. You seem to be affording the superpowers too much authority.

Nur writes: This is the crux of the conflict. The biggest headache the backers of the warlords have is the Sharia Law, not anarchy, because we had twenty years of anarchy under the warlords and that was fine with the west.

If you're concerned that any alliance between the resistance and the TFG would result in a watered-down version of the Shariah then you have nothing to worry about. I’m certain the resistance would not accept such an accommodation and would then be within their rights to continue with their struggle until the TFG is no more. I would be the first to support them if such a scenario were to arise.

Nur   

Akhi Bilaal

Your conclusion implies that by giving the warlords and the corrupt politicians the benefit of the doubt may lead to peace, and in case the warlords cheat, the resistance can always revert back to their struggle again. The way I see it, its not a good idea to test water with both feet like the ICU have done with no success, once the resistance are in bed with these clowns, there is no exit strategy, they will no longer have their momentum and they will expose themselves to the tentacles of a much more sophisticated remote control apparatus that will have a firm grip on them as they do on the warlords. Freedom, is not free, and its not cheap!. Like used cars, slavery may seem cheaper and convenient, but its maintenance in the long run can be far more expensive than the high onetime upfront price paid for freedom!

Brother, when trust is lost, peace only means a break time for planning to cheat, because what is so good to have will warrant the means to get it according to the Machiavellian Principles our Warlords and their backers subscribe to.

To establish real peace in Somalia, being honest about enmity, is better than faking a phony compromise.

US Interests In Somalia

Nur

BiLaaL   

Br. Nur

I don't think we require Western (mainly Leftist) commentators to provide us with exposé on the West's vaguely-veiled designs to dominate the Muslim world along with much of the less-developed nations. Their evil plans are apparent enough and evident in both their secret and open dealings.

On the question of the resistance in Somali and their relationship with the TFG, I say this: If, as you fear, the resistance is too feeble to join alliances with the TFG and still maintain their strenght, unity and sense of purpose - then doesn't that signal that they're hardly worthy of the position they currently ascribe themselves to?

I suppose this is the crux of the matter and it applies equally to contemporary Islamic movements across the Muslim World. It is that they lack the supreme farsightedness, diplomatic and political astuteness of their predecessors. Contemporary Islamic movements don't seem to plan for what should occur in case of victory whereas their predecessors understood that victory comes with responsibility. They cherished the victories Allah granted them and used it to build new alliances and to consolidate the general peace for all who lived in their spheres of influence.

Many of Islam's early victories came about not aa a result of what occured on the battlefield but were influenced by the preparations and diplomatic manoeuvre's the Muslims undertook in advance. As you well know, Ghazwah al-Khandaq was won largely on the back of the Prophet's (p.b.u.h) outstanding tactical and diplomatic skills.

Aspiring to lead the Ummah out of its current blight is honorable and deserves respect. However, one has to be prepared to engage ones enemies in all aspects and not restrict the struggle to the battlefield alone - which is largely what the resistance in our country has done. They have repeatedly shunned consultations with Somali elders and Culuma despite the dire need to find a solution out of the current impasse.

To argue that peace in Somalia will not be possible as long as there is enmity between the resistance and the TFG is tantamount to failure on the part of the resistance.

Those truly interested in serving the Ummah cannot allow mere enmity to derail the peace and prolong the enormous suffering of the people. If they do so, then they're not worthy of the cause they seek to champion. This is the truth of the matter - as much as we hate to admit it. Somalia, like the rest of the Muslim world, awaits the arrival of those truly capable of doing justice to this blessed cause.

N.B. - I don't think I can add much more to this discussion. Our views seem to be diametrically opposed. You concentrate on the dangers emanating from our enemies while I contend that the greatest danger to the resistance's cause is its failure to consolidate the peace by seeking an alliance with its principal opponent - i.e. the TFG.

History has shown that you can only undercut your enemies by depriving them of agents - from your own people - to use against you. Of course, the enemies of the resistance and of Somalia have the wretched TFG as an agent. This is precisely the lesson our brothers in Somalia have thus far failed to appreciate.

Muriidi   

excuse me :

qofku markuu sheekh yahay .. ma waxaa laga soo qaadaa inuu deganyahy wadamada khaleejka ?

xitaa haduu italia joogo ?

91-Al-Raheeq-Al-Makhtoom.jpg