Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

AC interviewed Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi

Zenawi on Global financial crisis and its effects on Africa

The President of Liberia [Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf] was in a preparatory meeting for the summit and she said that one of the sources of instability in Liberia has been the very high rate of unemployment among the youth and the fragile peace that they have in Liberia was too fragile for it to withstand massive layoffs among the youth; and that is what she feared would happen as much of the investment that they had been promised had simply disappeared

On Washington Consensus

the Prime Minister of the UK [Gordon Brown], in a meeting in New York prior to the G-20 summit, declared that the so-called Washington consensus was over and we needed a new development consensus. Now, I doubt whether any African would quibble with that, indeed, many would question whether there was such a consensus, in the sense that it was more of an imposition that a consensus.

On inflation in Ethiopia

Inflationary pressure is partly a result of the global inflationary pressure that was felt mostly in Africa in 2008. It also has domestic reasons, as our inflation was much higher than the African average.

On political dissent in Ethiopia

The issue was that, as part of a government reform programme across the various departments of government, including the defence sector, people who for one reason or another were thought to be unfit for the purpose that we have in mind, either because of physical disability or lack of commitment or so on, were asked to leave the army, or demoted within the army. Understandably, those people are unhappy with what happened to them and the only surprise in this is that their unhappiness was expressed in a form that took them to extremes of trying to kill actors in the reform programme in the defence sector and other government officials. So, while it would have been expected for them to be disgruntled and to express their dissatisfaction in some fashion, it came as a surprise that they decided to express it in such a destructive manner. Nonetheless, this was a very small group and they knew what was possible and not possible, so they didn’t even try to organise a coup. What they tried to organise was a series of assassinations to destabilise the government.

On the future of Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF)leadership

The old leadership which was leading the EPRDF during the armed struggle and up to now, myself included. That, to some extent is a sign of strength and it is also a sign of weakness that needs to be addressed and, as I said, the EPRDF is aware of it and is trying to address it.
It is not just about X, Y or Z, it is about the whole group of leadership which has been in very senior leadership positions for a bit too long for the health of the party.

If there's need for overhaul of EPRDF leadership *wise leader or PR stunt for Western Consumption?*

Yes, I think that the next crucial step needs to be taken.

Prospects of Peace with the Eritrean leadership

One can never say never. People think that the leadership there is headstrong and all the rest. That may well be true but I also believe that that leadership is not suicidal and he is able to read the writing on the wall when such writing is visible. And so the possibilities of changing direction are not zero. But one can never be sure.

On the return of Xasan Daahir

I think that it is a reflection of desperation and a desire to destabilise a fragile government. For me, it is a sign of desperation for two reasons. Firstly, I think that Dahir Aweys and his team are beginning to feel that they are losing the game in Mogadishu among the Islamists. There are moderate elements of the Islamic movement that are more and more disassociating themselves from his hard-line group and they appear to be eager to stem the tide in that sense. Secondly, the presence of Dahir Aweys in Asmara did nothing to improve the standing of Eritrea in the international community and it appears that they wanted to be relieved of his presence in Asmara as soon as possible. So that, I think, is indicative of desperation as part of the equation. At the same time, I think that Dahir Aweys and his team might think that all is not

lost in Somalia and if they strike in time and strike hard, they could stabilise the situation.

On the Somalia government and its backers-very honest interpretation of the relationship between the Somali governments (Yeey's included) and the international community.

I am not privy to the details but from what I heard from the media, substantial amounts of money have been promised and a substantial part of it is to finance Amisom [African Union Mission in Somalia]. I don’t know how much of it is going to be given to the Somali government. There have been two problems with regard to this in the past. Firstly, there was not enough money to support the government, lots of promises but very little delivery. Secondly, whatever money was being delivered was being delivered by third-party organisations: NGOs, international organisations. This continued to exacerbate the weakness of the government because whatever assistance was coming was not being channelled through government institutions and was weakening them. So I hope, whatever the decision was in Brussels, it will address those problems and the money involved is substantial enough to make a difference. The key issue will be whether the promises are kept and, assuming that they are, whether they will be put through proper channels.

Hiiraan Online

There have been two problems with regard to this in the past. Firstly, there was not enough money to support the government, lots of promises but very little delivery. Secondly, whatever money was being delivered was being delivered by third-party organisations: NGOs, international organisations.

I feel it is worth quoting this again. This is very true in every sense of the word. Any government (Abdi Qasim, Abdullahi Yusuf and Sheikh Sharif) cropped up by the International community is instantly hamstringed by them. Here Zenawi is more "friend" than enemy in his honest assessment. It should be obvious by now any potential government must seek mandate from its people and must harness their resourcefulness. The UNDP, the International Crisis, aid donor nations, NGOs, AMISOM and other stakeholders bring more problems than solutions-a big reason why Sharif's government would fail.

NASSIR   

I agree with his last point. A true statement that exposes the double-edged sword of Aid and Assistance.

Services rendered by NGOs and affiliated UN agencies have been a booming business. They have now evolved as the de facto governors of Somalia though the observable conditions that give rise to their hegemonic position in Somalia are hard to ignore; it's also unlikely for now to reverse their decentralized administration of Aid and development channeled through local NGOs, local admins like PL and SL, and independent contractors.

Thus far, strong and accountable central government is still an illusion for them to phase out the essential services they provide to the needy. Until then, they will be running a desperate nation that is forever fragmented and suspicious of their innate capacity to lead themselves. Neither the extremists nor the moderates has any alternative solution for the hapless people caught in the midst of their political stalemate and power struggle.

As expected, the 'international community' is leaving Sharif and Co hanging-I already see a call for new rounds of peace talks between hardcore "Islamist" and the "moderate Islamists-one more reason for these organizations to stay relevent in the Somali saga.

seko1   

Obviously one can rationalize, like the PM does here, the western part of the equation. But where is the arab world in this? What can be said for the level of indifference they appear to be showing? The biggest Irony, Billions of Saudi, Kuwait and UAE money flows to Sudan, Ethiopia & Djibouti. why aren't they expected to play a much better role than they are playing now in somalia?

Soomaali haddaan nahnay maba jeclin haddii nala soo faragishto arrimaheena. Haddii faraha nagala qaadana still we complain.

Waxa kasii daran saan isula weynahay iyo sida aduunka inoo dhaafay.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Daandurreey:

Tuug waaye meles. lacagtu inuu la cuno lee rabaa.

My first perception. I am not so sure the man is all genuine in the last part. The reality is no Somali "government" since the collapse of the old one has really been free of Ethiopian interference (even Abdiqaasim) and most of them have functioned directly under them controlled from a very small corner in the Ethiopian foreign ministry. Every penny handed to these "governments" equals a drop in Ethiopia's coffers.

I think things are excellent the way they are. He is not anymore smarter than anyone anywhere else. 17 so-called government attempts and nothing to show for, who is going to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in these obvious flukes? The few that have been directly handed over have always ended up as pocket change, shared between the the corrupt Somali and his bribed Ethiopian contact in Zenewi's court.