Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Somaliland Elections 2008 - The View

N.O.R.F   

The ball has started rolling. Who will win this one? Indications point to Kulmiye but who knows?

Kulmiye & Qaran Form An Alliance Against Rayale

Hargeysa, Somaliland, January 05, 2008 – Kulmiye party and Qaran, the unregistered political association, have formed a joint opposition committee to lead a united political front against President Rayale in the run up to the next general election, scheduled in the summer.

Early in the week, top party officials from Kulmiye and Qaran have been seen converging in Kulmiye’s Hargeysa central headquarters for long hours of behind closed door meetings. According to reports, Kulmiye and Qaran have signed an agreement which outlines joint and coordinated efforts to defeat the incumbent government in the coming elections.

SL Times interviewed the acting Kulmiye Party Chairman, Muhamad Iskerse, on Tuesday, about the joint committee forged by Kulmiye and Qaran (Mr Iskerse is standing-in for Ahmed M Silanyo, who is currently away in Makka for the annual Hajj). The interview was conducted at Kulmiye’s head office in Hargeysa.

SL Times: For the past few days, leading Kulmiye and Qaran party officials have been holding closed-door meetings in your party headquarters, and according to reports, Kulmiye and Qaran have formed a joint inter-party committee to unite as an opposition-coalition against the government. Is this true?

Iskerse: Yes, this is correct. Our meetings with Qaran officials discussed ways we could unite our political stand and opposition against the present government, and from these talks with Qaran came out the formation of a joint opposition inter-party committee, we named this joint committee ‘Saving this Nation’.

SL Times: We have been told that you nominated members representing your party to sit on this committee, and Qaran nominated some members, how many members will be sitting on this committee from your party and Qaran?

Iskerse: Yes, I nominated our part of the committee. We have six members representing Kulmiye in the committee and Qaran has also six, and the total number of the joint committee is twelve. This joint committee will be working to save this nation from this government’s dictatorial direction and this joint-committee has already begun its work

SL Times: Is it true that you and Qaran have agreed that the person to head/chair the committee will be from Kulmiye and the vice-chair from Qaran and the secretary nominated/elected by the committee members?

Iskerse: No, this is not correct. Its been agreed that the twelve nominated joint committee members comprising of Kulmiye and Qaran party will nominate from themselves the chair, vice-chair and secretary of the committee. We have left the leadership and division of the executive make-up of the committee to the twelve members.

SL Times: It’s been said that your discussions with Qaran officials looked at how to merge Qaran with Kulmiye, is this true?

Iskerse: Let me say that our discussions and the things we agreed on, all took the form and shape of how we can change/get rid of Rayale’s administration and save this nation from this government’s destruction. We promised Qaran that we will help them to determine every legal and lawful Constitutional avenue that gives them the right to form a political organisation and participate in the country’s political arena and its institutions. We will leave no stone unturned in determining what the law says regarding Qaran. And this needs a competent court of law. Our high court is not up to this task because it’s the president who directs their judgements and not what the law states. We have no fear of Qaran becoming a registered political organisation, but what we do believe, as Kulmiye party, that the law should be followed and dispensed with according to its articles……End

Although Kulmiye and Qaran have not made public the articles of their joint opposition agreement or details of their election coalition agenda against president Rayale and his government, nonetheless, sources close to Kulmiye and Qaran have established that the main theme in this agreement signed by the two oppositions revolves round a united front working for the removal of Rayale in the coming general election and that the election takes place on schedule and is not postponed again, for a second time.

Source: Somaliland Times

Wonder how our resident heavyweights (yes heavyweights) see this one.

Keep it clean folks :cool:

2007 witnessed a lot of political maneuverings and changing of positions. It looks like things are already stablising and political parties are gearing up for the upcoming elections.

It is not only the politicians that are gearing up for the upcoming elections, we have the word-smiths (Af-mishaars) and the Poets are all in full-swing as well. We all remember the memorable champaign-poems and songs and Afaraays from the last elections and all the new phrases that were added into the Somali lexicon. Phrases like "Buur Ahaw Ama Buur ku tiirsanow", "Calooshu Waa Meel, Codkuna waa meel"

I particularly liked the Hargeisa Radio Election theme song which went like:

Tartanka Dhexyaala; Walaalaha Dhawrsan

Marka uu Dhamaado; Dhankii Ay Raacdo

Isku miduun weeye; Hambalyo, Hambalyo wada dhaha!!!

That said, this years' elections is particularly interesting. It comes at time when Kenya's elections has ended in complete shambles. The last elections earned Somaliland a lot of respects from the international community and in particular considering the election was done on a shoestring budget. Yet, the sophistication of the NEC and the orderly in which it delivered the elections and come-polling-day the civilised manner that Somalilanders casted their votes, all came to as a suprise to the 70 or so strong international observer team. It seems as though the world is keeping an eye on our upcoming elections more than ever. So, we shouldn't let this opportunity slip between our fingers easily.

More over, in this election, we have a government which was in office for a full term now. It would be interesting as to how it champaigns this time round. The Qaran issue damaged UDUB's support base but it seems that they recovered and earned more support due to the recent successes of government's policy towards Eastern Somaliland. Also it seems UDUB is saving a lot of things for the last-dance. There are a lot of projects that are on-hold and is timed to coincide with election time frame.

As for the opposition parties, just few months ago everyone was saying that the opposition parties will be in for a clean sweep. But that seems not the case now. They are facing a resurgent UDUB party with a lot of things going for them in this past few months.

All in all, its going to be a very interesting year 2008.

N.O.R.F   

^^Good call ya culays :D . i think UDUB have regained some lost ground in recent months while Kulmiye are sitting idle waiting for the summer to arrive. I don't recall anything in the way of policy shifts. Their best bet is a policy against corruption but this needs to be well managed.

NGONGE   

Worth a repost I guess :D

---------------

Somaliland Elections

A candidate's speech.

My fellow Somalilanders, with this extraordinary election, we embark upon a path of fairness, freedom and democracy. Once we were a renegade state, a shambles and a mere dream. Now, we've a democratically elected president and are about to elect a democratic parliament. We're well and truly on the road to nationhood.

My people of Burco North: I am contesting this election with another twenty-five candidates. We're all fighting for your votes. Hush. We're all competing for your votes.

My esteemed opponents have all decided to tackle this election with a national mindset. They all speak of political parties, presidential impeachments and international recognition! Beware of their forked tongues and misleading rhetoric.

My cousins, my family and kin. The whole of Somaliland knows of you, the whole of Somaliland respects you and the whole of Somaliland reveres you. Throughout the centuries, the whole of Africa had heard of your heroic deeds. Throughout the years, the entire Somali people had marvelled at your great literature. Your men are great and women pretty. In faith, though our mosques are tiny, they're packed to the brim with faithful worshippers. In trade, though are businesses are new; they compete with the best of African businesses.

People of Burco North, one can't fault your hard work and efforts of turning this part of our nation into the great social, financial and political hub that it became. You've built the villas, the schools and the hotels with hardly any governmental help. You've summoned the aid of our migrant brothers all over the world and used that help to build great hospitals and more schools.

My brothers, unlike my fellow candidates, I believe that it is time the government contributed some money, experience and work into making Burco North a better place. Like all the faithful and patriotic citizens of this great and prosperous land of ours, we've been promptly paying our taxes and helping in filling the coffers of the central government. All the while, we had nobody to speak up for us and pass our requests to the powers that be.

My beloved North Burcawis, I hereby declare my candidacy for the post of Burco North MP. I pledge to have your interests at heart and fight for North Burco's right to share in this nation's wealth. Why should we not have running water like the people of the capital, allegedly, do? Why shouldn't the government subsidise our villas like it, allegedly, does with the people of Borama? Why should we not have our cake and eat it like the people of Laas Caanod?

My exploited brothers, we're no less important than the people of Hargeisa, Borama or Ceereqabow! Even the Southern Burcawis received government assurances (and opposition pledges) to ease their suffering and, allegedly, build a state of the art Ice Rink in the centre of that area! We, my brothers, have been asking for a proper and adequate sewer system for years. We offered to help with the cost but our cries and protests were ignored. What, I ask you; will the Southern Burcawis do with an Ice Rink?

My relatives, it's your duty, responsibility and obligation not to waste your vote on any weak candidates come Election Day. I don't covet your votes for personal gain, prestige or tribal reasons. I want your votes because, I believe, that I could help alleviate your pain, contribute to your gains and banish the chains; of misery and poverty.

The other candidates are attempting to appeal to your tribal links, heritage and emotions. They aim to divide you, o people of North Burco. I don't. You are all my brothers (and sisters). You all mean the same to me. I am not like these other candidates that went to canvass in their own neighbourhoods and use the clan politics to secure votes. Yes, North Burco is my neighbourhood and yes my house is round the corner from here. But, no, I am not running on a clannish agenda. These vulgar ideas and this unhealthy politics might work in South Burco, but I have enough respect for you North Burco people to know that you will never fall for any clannish rhetoric. The people of the capital, those of Borama and all those of the various areas of Somaliland might elect their candidates alongside clan and tribe lines, but not the knowledgeable people of North Burco. Never the people of North Burco! Therefore, I come to you with pledges.

Vote for me and I'll ensure there is hot and cold water in every home

Vote for me and I'll make certain that North Burco boasts world-class sewers

Vote for me and I'll guarantee that North Burco has non-stop electricity

Vote for me and I'll promise to improve the local economy

Vote for me and I'll pledge to start a drive against illiteracy

Vote for me and I'll vow that we'll always be ahead of South Burco

Vote for me and I'll make sure that North Burco is always at the centre of any national discussion.

Do not waste your votes on self-serving politicians and their puppets. I'm the candidate for you, ilma adeeryaal.

Long live North Burco.

For the moment there are a lot that are going ,,,, Kulmiye seems to be effortless these recent months while Rayaale is getting some more confidence from the public.

Kulmiye need to change his policy ,, how many times should i say this ?? ,, they need to change a lot. Organizing the General assembly was and still is a great failure within the party and most of the people know they will not be less corrupted than the current UDUB.

For the moment UDUB is in the making to tell you the truth ,,,,, I'm not UDUB supporter but that is the situation. I'm not talking about the future but currently UDUB is gaining a lot of confidence each day. There are even rumors that there is a motion against the first vice chairman of the Parliament. If that works then we have to learn a lot.

Ok ,, let's not even talk about UCID now ,,,, :D

Gediid   

^^^UCID in full force are currently touring the USA,I hear they will be in Columbus Ohio this coming saturday.The group is made up of the following people...Faisal Ali Waraabe,Abdillahi Cirro the speaker of the parliament,Nasir Ali Shire,MP and a few other UCID members....

I was chatting with some extremists Kulmiye supporters and they were so disappointed that the UDUB might win the coming elections coz of the recent developments.

UCID will play the spoiler for Kulmiye. UCID will gain all the votes Kulmiye needs to beat UDUB. Kulmiye campeign is a mess right now and UDUB currently holds the momentum going into the elections.

I will let it be known I'm voting for UDUB.

There is still two deadly cards for UDUB to play against KULMIYE , ,,,,,,,,,

Ok, i shouldn't disclose the secrets but i know at least to killing cards are on their way ... :D

While peace is a great thing and the efforts of the northern regions are absolutely amazing, theres nothing greater then Somaliniimo.

If the same efforts of separatism were put in uniting Somalis, the north would be even better then it is today.

Its about time that all Somalis be part of the solution.

Originally posted by Lois Lane:

While peace is a great thing and the efforts of the northern regions are absolutely amazing, theres nothing greater then Somaliniimo.

If the same efforts of separatism were put in uniting Somalis, the north would be even better then it is today.

Preach garee, sister. U sheeg dadka qaarkiis qabyaalad indhaha tirtay.

walaalo, I dont need to preach im sure my somali brothers here know exactly what I know and then more. It would simply be great if they looked at the big picture and fight their own stereotypes or separatist views for a better and bigger cause.

Originally posted by Lois Lane:

Inaabti, we put more then this efforts in 1960 and what we gained was a total distruction and bombing the civilians. It is time to see if the other one (separation) works better. We were leading the union and gave up everything right after the independence, we faced the whole world wanted the union without any condintions.

Looks like we are better off without the union which was a complete failure during the past 40 years ............

MMA thinks the union if KHASAB and i've to proof him wrong ,,,, if i don't want means i don't want and no one can take my by force. If Somaliland is QABYAALAD then whta do you call what is happening in the South ?? ,,,,,,, That is what is called qabyaalad ,,, Somaliland way tashatay.

N.O.R.F   

Well we have heard the new that Riyaale's term has been extended by another year. Considering that the opposition were prepared to extend until Nov/Dec '08 anyway, I don't think it would have made much difference. More time for the opposition to get into gear and clearly state their policies.

What is worrying is UDUB's new approach of pointing fingers and accusing the opposition of terrorism! They want to create tension between people in SL.

Time for Kulmiye to fix-up!