Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

A Road Map to Land Disputes in Somalia:

Taleexi   

...."While most disputes may be resolved peacefully through existing local traditional or judicial processes, there are cases that may get out of control and lead to potential violence with serious consequences for peace and the maintenance of law and order. This is so when the dispute is amongst members of the same clan or clans that place claim on Hargeysa and its suburbs. ....."

This piece analysis profoundly the incalculability of what might be induced the LAND DISPUTES in Somali Peninsula .. If not addressed this issue now in all local, regional and state levels.. An article that is ahead of its time and worth reading, I can say... Read here the full version of the article

NASSIR   

Thanks Mansa, it was a good read.

All the good achievement of "Somaliland" has been depreciated by their pursuit for regional secession. Nevertheless, they have done a great job, a working model to replicate. As far as the land dispute is concerned, local proposed resolution is not viable until we have a government of national union.

Tribalism is the most destructive factor in our country involving every aspect of our lives. The people who abandoned their homes will one day return safely and retake their old possessions from illegal occupiers. I recall an old news of a man from Buraan who was locked in land dispute with the locals in Hargeisa. He sustained severe injuries of bruises and fractions after fighting with a whole group.

There is no such thing as a clan land disputes in Hargeisa.

However there are indivitual-level land disputes. This is typically random blocks of land enough to be built a house or two which due to the lack of official documents which were lost during the civilwar anyone (regardless of clan) claimed it as being theirs. This is the sort of land dispute which exists in Hargeisa and not the sort that the author of that article is trying to paint.

Clan land disputes long vanished from within major clans in Somaliland.

RedSea   

Are we talking about now or in mid 1990s?People do sometimes get into little scuffle when it comes to jagooyinka,but it's not like they fought over clan lines within Hargeysa city itself.

Each xaafad in Hargeysa is known to be inhabited by particular sub clans however that doesn't mean they have any disputes ever over their terriry.

I am from Guryo samo area of Hargeysa, I can build my home in Jigjiga yar just like that with no problem at all.

That picture of Hargeysa in the article seems bit to have pictured Hargeysa from the wrong angle,so here is positive image of Hargeysa:

Hargeysa_2005.JPG;) or kan maxaa udiiday to represent Hargeysa: airport_rd_galleryfull

NASSIR   

"That picture of Hargeysa in the article seems bit to have pictured Hargeysa from the wrong angle"

lol, what are you trying to prove? It is better that we reveal the abject condition of our cities instead of the grand looking but few houses of the merchants and government buildings.

That road is indeed pretty

Taleexi   

Originally posted by Suldaanka:

There is no such thing as a clan land disputes in Hargeisa.

Dear Mr. Suldaanka, Isn't that so good to be true?, let me reminisce in the recent history of land disputes of Hargeisa City, what happened a half year back is worth telling, when two sub clans clashed and in both human life and material wealth were lost because the conflict’s decisiveness, even this clash spilled into the Somali Region of Ethiopia.. There Silaanyo, Waraabe and some reps of the administration aided to close a deal to those caught in the conflict.

In addition to that, a pilot project was carried in this part of the country which can be a model to the other land disputes in Somali peninsula, that is what this article is calling for and I don’t see any grey areas on its clearness.

Red Sea, Hargeisa must be a relative beautiful city but it has like any other city in its size, shabby, getto-like areas therefore don’t put yourself in a defensive mode so quickly and easily, remember Hargeisa is what it is  and what we say are merely words on your screen.

Caamir, I agree with you. The model, Hargeisa administration developed, is a good one that deserves to be replicated in the other parts of the country. Of course a customization is required in some places but it is a good start, I say

NASSIR   

Mansa, we need to loose the intricacy of traditional land ownership that symbolizes our views of who belongs where. Every Somali person should feel safe in our collective identity both in regional and national level.

In Erigavo, there are land disputes all the time amongst the 4 major clans that share the city. These disputes lead to bloody conflicts but oftentimes the City Committee and elders mediate and strike a compromise btw the two groups in conflict.

Even in Las Anod, we have such land disputes whereby a subclan wars with another.

In Bossaso the clans that share the city vide to customary laws drafted and implemented from experiences of conflict. The New Bosaso Area, mainly concentrated by the people of Sanaag, a mix of purchased and owned landblocks, is now under heavy development. New houses have been built and the city seems to be expanding to this side.

Dear Mr. Suldaanka, Isn't that so good to be true?, let me reminisce in the recent history of land disputes of Hargeisa City, what happened a half year back is worth telling, when two sub clans clashed and in both human life and material wealth were lost because the conflict’s decisiveness, even this clash spilled into the Somali Region of Ethiopia.. There Silaanyo, Waraabe and some reps of the administration aided to close a deal to those caught in the conflict.

You are mistaken my friend. The unfortunate incident you are refering to never originated inside Somaliland border. Neither does it spill over into inside Somaliland.

That paricular land dispute was something that happened across the border and inside Ethiopia. The flare-up and seriousness of that dispute came as a huge surprise to everyone who knows the history of the two clans that share land there. They are regarded as "ul iyo diir" in Somali terms and was very unfortunate. It was the first of its kind to take place both inside and across the borders between major clans in Somaliland in a very long time.

But anyways, my point was and still is, that there is no such thing as a clan dispute in Hargeisa as the author wants to paint. The only dispute that exists there is random indivitualised disputes. These disputes could be between two cousins, two brothers, two neighbors or two strangers.

RedSea   

Originally posted by Mansa Munsa:

Isn't that so good to be true?, let me reminisce in the recent history of land disputes of Hargeisa City, what happened a half year back is worth telling, when two sub clans clashed and in both human life and material wealth were lost because the conflict’s decisiveness, even this clash spilled into the Somali Region of Ethiopia.. There Silaanyo, Waraabe and some reps of the administration aided to close a deal to those caught in the conflict.

Dear brother Mansa, what you have back home is as Caamir mentioned sub clans living in their own distinct neighborhoods(xaafad),although lately they are starting to integrate among various sub clans.As far as anything else goes,minor incidents occur here and there,but comes to stop before it's considered a big deal.

Is not like this is limited to Somalis,as you may know,in every city, well as far as I know here in the states, you have white neighborhoods,you have black neighborhoods,you also have Hispanic neighborhoods,not to mentioned we have Cedar here in Minnesota which as some said if it was shaken,all you would get would be flying Macawiso iyo Googarado.

So as you have that,we have various sub clan neighborhoods.But it's not big deal as the article tries to make out of it.

In addition, as you said Suldaanka 'ul iyo diirkeed' they are.Because, imagine,the sub clan of my mother lost 6 of her close relatives,and on my father's side,there were 7, so of all the people involved, my relatives were touched more than anything,it happened to be that half of the total death came from my immediate family members from both my mother's side and fathers'.It gives one a great lesson of the Somali civil wars,and what exactly is.

Caamir, yaw friend,offcourse, that pix I have up there is better representation of Hargeysa.That street you see up there,is the street I use to ride baranbeeri(small hand constructed vehicle),in mid 90s.

;)

AYOUB   

^^ How can you explain the chimneys in your photos? :cool:

spend some time in getting thoroughly acquainted with the “hard facts” as they stand in the scale of actuality; particularly in regards to that of which he wished to passed judgement on it in his argument...

Good advice Oodweyne, shocking lack of knowledge exposed.

me   

Idinku isu jiibiya un, naf kale meesha kuma haysaan.

About land disputes...well...........Daku wey bahaloobeen. Gardaro iyo sharcidaro badina wadanka oo dhan wey ka jirtaa. Xaaraantina waa laysku raacay. Cid cid dhaanta ma jirto. Anigo waxaan ogahay laakiin in Hargeysa ay ka darantahay Muqdisho marka la eego sharciga dhulka dadka iyo guryihii dadka. Muqdisho wax waa la kala iibsadaa, cid walbana wey ogtahay dhulka dadka iska leh. Hargeysa laakiin indha adeeg iyo sharci daro badan ayaa ka jirta. Anigu waxaan ka hadlayaa saan anigu wax u arkay.

Taleexi   

Originally posted by Oodweyne:

Hello Folks

Firstly
, to
Mr. Suldaanka
, this is essentially the truth, that
Mr. Mansa Munsa
does not seemed to know what he speak of in here; particularly when you said, this:

quote:

Originally Posted By
Mr. Suldaanka
;

That particular land dispute was something that happened across the border and inside Ethiopia. The flare-up and seriousness of that dispute came as a huge surprise to everyone who knows the history of the two clans that share land there. They are regarded as
"ul iyo diir"
in Somali terms and was very unfortunate.

It was the first of its kind to take place both inside and across the borders between major clans in Somaliland in a very long time.

Secondly
; given, that you – i.e.,
Mr. Suldaanka
- have covered the misconceptions about issue in land-dispute in Somaliland, and what have you; what is left for me is to suggest that the editorial staff of
Wardheer News
, does not seemed to know, the first thing about this kind of argument...

For starters, there are no known
"Clannish Disputes"
in much of Somaliland's jurisdictional territory; in which this sort of land-dispute could be said belongs to as a category; given at the present-time what is there, is some sort of
“particularistic disputes”
, that usually involved in one family against another; but nothing of the kind that will amount to a clannish sense(implicitly or other-wise); which is what would be coming into the picture in one’s mind, if one were to take it, this piece of misinformed article, as the literal truth of the land issue that can exist in Somaliland...

And finally, if some folks, wished to comment in-ordinately or at least intelligently, particularly about the issue that can be standing affair in Somaliland's body-politic as a whole – be it land-dispute or other-wise - and what have you; then in that case, the least that person owes to the demand of hearing his view, in which he is requesting from his captive readers(i.e.,
his customers
); is to, for love of god or other-wise, spend some time in getting thoroughly acquainted with the
“hard facts”
as they stand in the scale of actuality; particularly in regards to that of which he wished to passed judgement on it in his argument...

Other-wise, not only, will you get un-satisfied customers in return for your labour; but, on the whole, you may be liable to be treated with
“contempt”
; from those of whom, having a
"little knowledge"
in this affair that you know so little of it, was not something that they could be accused of, in the first place....

Regards,

Oodweyne.
Waryaadhaheen, miyaynaan isku meel ka hadlayn, the incident took place in the Somali Region of Ethiopia and I do apologise the inaccuracy in my earlier post which indicated that the land dispute orginated from Hargeisa. That been said, why are you all guys blinded the reality on the ground?, what made Silanyo, Waraabe and other to cross the border if that is not the glorification of your clannish dogma while there were more urgent issues that needed their attention at the time in Hargeisa and its environs ?, and why are you guys always zealots who are in a denial mode as that will lead you to the paradise.

Sorry Mr. Oodweyne, I and some did not know, you guys are saints who don't fault in any circumstance given, and if they fault it is like the policy of Don't ask, Don't tell.

Nobody needs to be a brain surgeon to see and take a stand the land disputes of the areas of your administration's jurisdiction because it is all out there to be seen, the genesis of these conflict is not subjective however, it rests on the lenses of the analyzer, may be you want to cover it up, may be the editorial piece wants to expose it.

Red Sea.. We are closer than I thought on this.

why are you all guys blinded the reality on the ground?,

What have you in mind sxb? Do tell us the reality that you see on the ground and then we will discuss about it. What are your views?

ps

The article you posted here is far from the reality on the ground. The author can mislead an unsuspecting eye but to those who hail from that area and know better, this article represents nothing but cheap propaganda spewed by someone who wants to paint an ugly picture of Hargeisa.

what made Silanyo, Waraabe and other to cross the border if that is not the glorification of your clannish dogma while there were more urgent issues that needed their attention at the time in Hargeisa and its environs ?

What other issues awoowe? we need names, examples, events ... not just a non-specific term like "other issues"... of course there are always "other issues" but what "other issues" specifically?

As leaders, Mudane Ahmed Mohamed Siilaanyo and Faisal Ali Waraabe and other SL officials have responsibility on their shouldiers to step in, in such situations. I see nothing wrong, unless you tell us what you think is wrong with that.

Come back and be specific and more to the point.