Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

With peace, Somalia can be a Singapore

Gabbal   

With peace, Somalia can be a Singapore

By William Maclean

ALGIERS (Reuters) - Failed state Somalia could one day become a Singapore-style trading hub for the Horn of Africa if only its gifted and entrepreneurial people had peace, a veteran U.N. African peace mediator said on Sunday.

But Mohammed Sahnoun added in a Reuters interview that lack of attention by outside powers wary of its present turmoil could turn the troubled nation into a worsening "nest for all kinds of terrorist activities" and an engine of regional instability.

"Somalia could be tomorrow the Singapore of the Horn of Africa because of the resourcefulness of the people, because people are very capable," said Sahnoun, special adviser on Africa to U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

"But there is, I must say, a kind of fatigue as far as Somalia is concerned. There is no interest. (Some people think) it's an easy matter which can be settled with some kind of 'stick' process -- 'We just have to hit them here and there'. That was tried in 1993 and it ended in a real mess."

Sahnoun was referring to a disastrous international foray into Somali peacemaking that ended in humiliation in 1993 when 18 U.S. personnel in a U.N. peace force called UNOSOM were killed in a battle in Mogadishu recalled in the Hollywood film, "Black Hawk Down".

Since then major nations have been deterred by Somalia's image as a quagmire and many counter-terror experts see it as a potential safe haven for Islamic militants because it has lacked a central government since former dictator Siad Barre's overthrow in 1991.

Washington has yet to put together a comprehensive policy on the country and Sahnoun said the West had to resist the temptation to deal with Somalia militarily, and do more to understand the clan-based structure of Somali society.

"There should be a much more serious kind of analysis of the situation," he said. "A destabilised Somalia can be a factor in the destabilisation of the whole region. We see it in the maritime situation -- ships being attacked and hijacked and it has become worse. We see it also in (recent fighting in) Mogadishu."

"Therefore in a sense we should understand it can be a nest for all kinds of terrorist activities. We should try to strengthen the process of stabilisation."

Sahnoun, a veteran Algerian diplomat and U.N. troubleshooter in African flashpoints from Eritrea to Somalia to the Great Lakes, says the resilience of Somali society and especially its energetic merchant class in the face of appalling odds was a sign of immense potential.

He appealed for strong and consistent international support for the transitional federal government and parliament formed at peace talks in Kenya in 2004, saying it was essential to providing "some minimum stability" that would allow the positive aspects of Somali society to flourish.

"It will be really regrettable if we don't encourage this process ... it would really be very sad to see this process fail ultimately for lack of support from outside," he said.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Since I heard it yesterday on BBC, Somali section, I have been searching for this article. Sahnoun has in-depth knowledge of Somalia more than any so called infidel experts who forage on the anarchy in this poor civil war-struck African country. Many Messrs. Byrdens of both white and black are engaged in modernized version of mercenary enterprise in Somalia. But that is another topic for another day.

Thanks, H.A…

Salaan...

I've my utmost respect for Max'ed Saxnuuni. His name was on the ears of many Muqdisho residents in early '90s, especially about his tireless effort to broke a deal between Caydiid and Cali Mahdi.

Also it was his great lobbying that resulted Qaramada Midoobey to send peacemaking forces.

NASSIR   

^^, MMA, have you read of his scholarly journal, "The Missed Opportunities" It is available in Government Publication Microfiche in my school. I tried to find it from other sources, I couldn't.

The PAC, SDSU

SOO MAAL   

True, Somalia can be a commercial hub of East Africa, Sahnoun ( an expert on Somalia) is right Somalia needs, peace, law, and order.