Sign in to follow this  
research

Awad Ahmed Ashareh -- bio

research   

Can anyone help me with a biography of Awad Ahmed Ashareh? I'm interested in the years before he became Minister for Religious Affairs in Puntland. Was he in Dubai and Canada?

Dhubad.   

^ Why would you interest him? and who are you, identify yourself?

Are you after the young somali lady who were killed in Canada, allegedly by her boyfriend? If so, are you working for the police or are you a Lawyar

Once you answer those questions perhaps we can help you.

Cheers

Paragon   

^^ Good questions. These days, you never know what some wicked individuals would imply of others. "I'm interested in the years before he became Minister for Religious Affairs in Puntland. Was he in Dubai and Canada" What is the next question?

research   

Fair enough. I am researching her murder, but as a journalist looking for the full story. I am not a lawyer or a police officer. There has been a claim made that she is related to Ahmed Ashareh. Can anyone substatiate or refute that claim? I'm just looking for the facts here. You can email me at agwnblog@gmail.com if you prefer.

My name is Steve, and I blog at www.stevejanke.com. I'm not Somali, or even Muslim. I'm sure I would have a lot of disagreements with people on this forum on a lot of issues facing the world today -- there's no point in glossing over that. But I think most anyone would agree that Yasmin's death was tragic. I hoping those who would agree would also like to help.

research   

Originally posted by Paragon:

^^ Good questions. These days, you never know what some wicked individuals would imply of others. "I'm interested in the years before he became Minister for Religious Affairs in Puntland. Was he in Dubai and Canada" What is the next question?

Sorry, forgot to answer this. Next question? Depends on the answer. Probably a run down of the last in the political situation in Somalia with regards to Ashareh and the TNG and other factions, such as the SICC. Also interested in what insight or knowledge people would have with regards to his family if it turns out to be relevant to Yasmin.

steve, I don't know anything about Awad Ahmed Asharah or Yasmin, If I come across anything by asking family members, I will let you know. Mean while, ignore the ignorent fools in here who have lately choosen hostile characters. What ever your intention, there is nothing wrong with asking questions and there is nothing to be gained by hiding the truth or facts.

research   

Originally posted by Naxar Nugaaleed:

steve, I don't know anything about Awad Ahmed Asharah or Yasmin, If I come across anything by asking family members, I will let you know. Mean while, ignore the ignorent fools in here who have lately choosen hostile characters. What ever your intention, there is nothing wrong with asking questions and there is nothing to be gained by hiding the truth or facts.

Thanks Naxar. I have been subjected to some hostility before. Some has been justifiable suspicion, and I've always answered questions honestly and openly. Most of the time, people have overcome my suspicions to answer my questions. I will say that not everyone likes where the answers are pointing, but it is not for me to define the truth -- I'm just trying to uncover it. Some people have been abusive (called me a Nazi and so forth), but I just ignore those.

"If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved."

Dhubad.   

^Naxar, Sxb cayda jooji.

This steave guy is trying to label the killing of this innocent Somali lady as a Honour Killing in which we somalis don't practice such an action. Here is some of his writings :

“The investigation of the murder of Yasmin Ashareh continues. A man, William Imona-Russel, has been arrested. My original theory that Yasmin might have been the victim of an honour killing seems to have been discredited.â€

By Steve Janke

Source : http://www.stevejanke.com/archives/188996.php

Steve, we don't kill our own even if they do whatever, so just keep that in mind. I will continue reading your blog, you seem someone who is trying to prove a point here, will see what that point is.

research   

I have to learn a lot of Somali culture, and I understand now that honour killings don't seem to be part of the fabric. But I was shocked to learn about Yasmin's links to the highest levels of Somali politics, if indeed she is Ahmed's daughter, so the question of a political motive can't be discounted. No one can deny that Somali politics is very violent. Also, there is the question of the ICU/SICC, which by accounts I have read includes in its ranks foreigners who are bringing a very un-Somali approach to Islam into the country. My most recent post quotes reports of demonstrations in some regions in the country demanding that the ICU stay out of their business.

Everything I've read about the ICU and their leaders suggests they don't care what other people think or want.

This is not happening in a vacuum, by the way. The police have arrested a man, but the arrest seems...odd. They had him under surveillance for days, which is very unusual. After the arrest, they asked for people to tell police if they had witnessed the suspect engaging in strange activities, which suggests they have a case based on circumstantial evidence and not physical evidence. He is awaiting trial on other serious charges. But he was out on very little bail and the story behind the charges he is facing sounds contrived.

Paragon   

Dhubad, thanks again.

research, even before you provided a link to your blog, I knew where your simplistic and laughable line of questioning, would go! The typical, but now cliche' western obsession, of linking everything Muslim to either terrorism, honour killing or FGM. Pathetic.

Naxar are you that stup!d not to recognize the pattern of this guy's questions? The questions all lead to an honour killing, committed by a family whose figure-head is an Islamist - who served as the ministry of religious affairs in Puntland- and now (since he fell out with the TFG) is a member of the UIC in control of Mogadishu. Sensational story, isn't it? It is classical tabloid story guaranteed to sell like a hot cake. But creating a link of such nature would be most absurd. Ashareh, an honour-killing, Islamist gun-man! :D . That is not the Ashareh I have met before.

dis dude is all over Somali sites. He was asking the same questions at somaliuk.com forum.

Buddy, there is nothing to this story, just poor girl who met an unfortunate end in dark alley.

n As for her family being politically connected, we are small tribal society. All Somalis are related or know somebody who was/is in some sort of administration one time or another.

research   

Paragon, you can make this easy. Tell me Yasmin's dad isn't Awad Ahmed Ashareh, and then tell me why the half-dozen or more people who told me it is are wrong, and why the Globe and Mail was wrong when it printed that Yasmin's father (who was not named in the article) was a political figure who returned to Somalia in 1999 or soon after.

But if you can't, then explain why this is not a valid line of questioning. It might be sensational, but that doesn't make it illegitimate.

Dhubad.   

Quoting from Steve(you wrote in July 16):

Besides the symbolism of taking revenge against the victim who spoke evil, throat slashing is a consistent element of honour killings around the world.

So we have a Westernized woman, born of a clannish Muslim family, unmarried and living on her own instead of under the protection of her male relatives. Already flags go up. She is probably dating, perhaps even kissing, strange non-Muslim men. Maybe drinking alcohol. Allah knows what else. The shame might be more than members of her family born and raised in Somalia could bear, especially if clan relatives in Somalia had gotten news of the situation.

Although, the police have arrested the guy who killed this poor girl long time ago and of course the police don't arrest a person unless they have some sort of evidence linking that person to the crime carried out.

Yet this guy is clearly on a mission to hijack this case by trying to prove this was a Honor Killing in which the girl’s family approved and ironically he is trying to link this to Islam .

Dhubad...The funny thing here is the level of ignorance demonstrated by the folks who are on mission to defame Islam. Anybody who is well versed in Arab culture and history knows the practice of honor killing predates Islam. It was born out of the chauvinistic Bedouin culture, and it wasn't the only Arabs that indulged in honor killings. So did the Hindus of India and many other cultures.

So Mr Steve, get your facts right first. Somalis have never practised honor killings in any time in their history. Young women running away with men is not unusual either. You don't obviously know much about our culture, I guess this was just an oppurtunity for you to take a swing against Muslims. Well, join the club, and Iam sure CNN will add you to the list of the bloggers to interview about Islamic extremism.

Originally posted by research:

I have been subjected to some hostility before. Some has been justifiable suspicion, and I've always answered questions honestly and openly. Most of the time, people have overcome my suspicions to answer my questions. I will say that not everyone likes where the answers are pointing, but it is not for me to define the truth -- I'm just trying to uncover it. Some people have been abusive (called me a Nazi and so forth), but I just ignore those.

"If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved."

Research,why are pple hostile towards u,do they know u?i suppose they don't and i still don't understand why some one should be hostile to any one in that case.Secondly,its true that its not for u to define the truth and as a journalist don't u think that u should have digged the ppl'es history so as to come up with the honour killing theory?U could have consulted with some somalian,asked for pple's opinions in regards to honour killings.In short,somalians do kill but honour killing is not one of their doing.Thirdly,one would always meet with disagreements regarding everything so don't u think its unwise to be sure(pessimistic) about pple disagreeing with u inregards of ur views and whatever else that is going on around the globe?Am just curious as much as u are and i hope u do not take my questions in a negative or in unpolite manner.I was only trying to point out things and its also true to say that its not for me to define the points but am just trying to uncover them. smile.gif