Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Interview: Rakiya Omaar on the Imprisonment of Samsam's Lawyers

Originally posted by Nationalist:

As one of Sland's leading politicians said, there are many Sland ladies in Pland. Don't let them face the brunt of Samsam's faith.

Shame Saaxib Horta

I understand you might be passionate about this and may actauly care for this poor girl, but keep your emotions in check. Think twice before you scribble reckless statements. Threatening a SOMALI girl with physical harm won't get Zamzam any justice, it will only add onto injustices against our sisters at home. So,wise up bro.

Yasmine: I understand your frustration, and I agree the case should viewed as being a part of greater cause that might shed light on the crimes commited against Somali women. Sadly,I think this only spur few lively discussion, but will not lead to anything substantive. Women always suffer the most in wars, and get the least justice.

Ameenah....Not pick on anybody, but we can safely say majority of Somalis are indifferent. I doubt folks in SLand or Pland care much this poor girl. One group is just exploiting her misery, and other is denying that anything happened at all.

NASSIR   

Yasmiin, In a nutshel, Samsam's case reflect the quest for resolution of rape issues from specifics to the general, while your point of argument revolves from general to the specifics as you would want the rape of Samsam be treated as part of the past unnoticed and irremedied rape cases of Somalia, which is not altogether a flaccid vision. However, there is no place to seek justice for the wrongs that were done against our innocent sisters. Samsam was exposed to cruel punishment and unforseen circumstance. She shall set precedent for future cases in Puntland and Somaliland where semblance of order and democracy seems to be flourishing in comparison to the rest of Somalia. Theoretically, rape is rampant on areas of high crimes, corruption, and poverty. For instance, recent report in which a number of United Nations troops were relieved from their duty after rape allegations in Darfur reinforced my beliefs. One soldier was said to have lured a little 10 yearl girl a piece of pastry caked cookie.

Only addressing the nature and cause of rape issues, as you inferred, can there be a solution. The asnwer is no but just pursuit of legal corrections and actions have proved the closest effect on the reduction of rape cases positively.

SOO MAAL   

It is unacceptable human rights violation

The truth that the poor zamzam is unfairly mistreated and raped is an undisputable fact, what happen is terrible and dark page in Somali women human rights in Somalia, this is a heinous crime against all humanity. Punlanders - there is no need to exploit zamzam, retaliation or propaganda will only increase injustice against Somali women and will only bread more violence, Puntland Government should see this crime as a isolated crime against all humanity specially Somali women.

Somalilanders, please do show some sympathy to poor zamzam and stop ignorance and denying the fact that a heinous crime against little zamzam took place.

If there was a perfect time to apologize to mistreatment of human being this is the time, Somaliland government needs to take the responsibility and apologize to zamzam and her family for her for mistreatment and the gross crimes such as rape, Somaliland leadership both government and opposition need to recognize that zamzam's case is dangerous precedence and it is crucial to make all necessary steps to avoid from happening again.

It is unbelievable and unclear the reasons that led to Somaliland Government to be silent throughout the longtime time that the unfair trial lasted.

Hence, Somaliland government should explain and make public inquiry about zamzam’s case, or else Zamzam’s case is clear evidence how immature is somaliland leadership!

It is important to point out that the Puntland Government only addressed this issue once,laying out it's terms and demands.The case has been taken up by the human rights organisations in Puntland and in somaliland.The media also played an important role in bringing poor zamzam's case to eyes of the world.I would like to point out another indisputable fact.This crime has been commited by the Somaliland administration NOT i repeat NOT the good decent people of Somaliland.I keep pointing this fact out and people dont take any notice and that is NOT fair.The people of somlaliand just like the fellow bretheren across somalia have been strongly critical of their own administration,they have fought alongside their brothers and sisters.Let us not bring the Ugly tribal crap into this.this is an injustice committed against all somalis wherever they maybe whatever tribe they may be.Zamzam is 16 yr old,anyone here who hasn't got a sister of that age or near enough that age?..Anyone here who hasnt got a sister?.We all do and it is personall to all of us.This are a few evil men ...yes A FEW EVIL MEN and we need to see them as that not generalise the whole thing and blankett blame a whole good respectful decent community that are our brothers and sisters.Please remember that folks please remember that.

Rahima   

As usual Yasemine has articulated views of great worth, she nailed the issue well.

What shocks me about the whole case is the way it is been used by certain factions to take cheap shots at others whilst others trying to downplay the trajedy. Try as they may, their intentions are very clear, on these forums very few actually care about this girl because she is our sister.

If that's your idea of nationalism my 'brother'...STICK IT!

It seems that he has a wrong understanding of nationalism.

Never did i think that any sane MUSLIM somali would speak words of such disgrace, walaahi this is shameful.