Sign in to follow this  
codetalker

armed conflict in Sanaag

Sky   

This conflict is blown out of proportion. Its a mere confrontation sparked by the presence of Puntland troops sent to Majayahaan, 30 km southwest of Bossasso in Sanaag region, to secure the area for exploration activities by Range Resources. The local militias felt intimidated and some fighting occured. Even the desperate cries of the Somaliland government about Puntland's dealings with companies interested in the Sanaag and Sool regions were more threatening than this skirmish that can be easily solved. Majayahaan was functional during the 80s by a Bulgarian mining company, so there shouldn't be significant problems now.

That Cadde Muuse's subclansmen from Karkaar region are encroaching upon their neighbours in the Sanaag region by illegally setting up new villages and chopping trees for charcoal is a matter to those two groups. Like Carmo this can also be peacefully settled. Carmo was located in a disputed territory south of Bossasso on the paved highway. Reer Qandala flocked to Carmo and turned it into the subclan's primary settlement. At the end things have been settled with Reer Sanaag. Some like to draw a correlation between this and Majayahaan to raise tension in Puntland and the two brotherly clans.

Some pictures of Majayahaan

ceelkam1.jpg

ceelkam.jpg

Paragon   

Reer Qandala flocked to Carmo and turned it into the subclan's primary settlement. At the end things have been settled with Reer Sanaag. Some like to draw a correlation between this and Majayahaan to raise tension in Puntland and the two brotherly clans.

Enlighten us, Sky. How was the Carmo Issue solved? Have those who flocked Carmo retreated back to where they initially came from, or are they presently occupying it? The Carmo issue may hold some lessons that may help us understand the mindsets of those who dispute the current exploration project.

On the current issue, as others me have already mentioned, it 'may' be a matter of land rights and economic dispute over commons. That said, however, there needs to be a legal framework within which plans pertaining to contracts involving foreign parties could be implimented.

The country, albeit this region's comparable stability, has gone through a psychological fine-tuning that is increasing the visibility of clan natural resources and controls over it. If anything, Gen. Cade should have understood the delicate nature of using force in issues that do not require it. Bypassing local dignitaries to get to resources under their sphere of control is not really advisable.

However on the whole, I don't think there is a need for exageration from our part.

Jaylaani   

Originally posted by Tukaale:

Any outcome from this conflict so far, is the war still going on and who's winning?

Update Please? enuf of opinions

Who is winning? Are you f.ucking nutz?

Makhir, thanks for the post. I agree with you that there is alot of corruption in Puntland and I for one abhor the actions of some individuals in the adminstartion. My comments here have never been about supporting Cade in this theme [corruption]. Yet is there an armed conflict in the area as reported initialy by some in SOL>? I guess not. As for the rights of the local inhabitants I agree they as stakeholders should directly benefit from any mineral find.

What I am against in the attempt by some, in the media and elsewhere to create a situation close clan conflict in order to detsabalise Puntland. Remember Puntland survived a near civil war in the past and will inshala Allah overcome this.

^

You never support Cadde's corruption, but you deny facts on the ground (just like majority of PL media!). The truth can never be silenced.

Originally posted by indy7424:

I suggest you read the offical letter below.

"Official letters" become nonexistent when blood is spilt. When the Puntland president signed the deal with Range Resources, Ltd., he did so without the consent of the governed (i.e. Puntland citizens). The PL president didn't bring the issue into Parliament so that it could be debated openly. It was a shady deal signed under mysterious circumstances (why Dubai? If Puntland is "safe" enough for investment, then its definitely safe enough for a one-day meeting between PL and Range officials, isn't it?). There has been strong opposition to the deal from within Puntland from day one; therefore, "official letters" are irrelevant vis-a-vis the situation on the ground. We don't want Somalia to turn into another Nigeria where an oil company (i.e. Shell) pays government troops to raid villages and murder natives! Exploration in Somalia can only occur when a national government is in power and has full control of the country. The Puntland president is a trigger-happy, warmonger who has zero support in the regions with the most potential for exploration (incl. Sanaag).

Gen. Cadde and his clannish supporters with their
Un-changing
centuries-old infatuations with that long-ago dead political conciet, which used to go under the name of
Majesterial Entitlement
of the Kingly kind;

You mean the defunct Boqortooyo? :D

And perhaps, to understand the importance of this point further, see to it to recalled, as to what it was
the underlying rationale
that had caused the recent bloody skirmishes within Puntland's parliament, in which the recently deposed Minister
Faroole
had hand in it's original flare up, after
he was sacked by the said parliament.

Let me correct you on this part of your analysis, Adeer. Mr. Faroole was not sacked by the Parliament. Rather, he left the Parliament building after noticing where things were headed (Gaagaab passed, Xaabsade did not!). Then, the day after, Faroole's boys surrounded the Parliament building to deny MPs from entering. That's when Gen. Cadde/Afqurac sent in their personal bodyguards, which caused the death of 3 boys. To add insult to injury, Gen. Cadde then revoked Faroole's ministerial portfolio, even before the bodies of the dead boys were buried! You know Somali culture and that is a huge insult. To date, Cabdi Salaad (the guy Gen Cadde replaced with Faroole) has not accepted the position.

Furthermore, you state that the "underlying rationale" for the Feb. 27 Garoowe gun battle was essentially a power struggle between PL sub-clans. That's utterly untrue. The political rift between Faroole and Gen. Cadde started after Faroole left Dubai in anger, because Gen. Cadde had signed the shady deal without consulting Reer Puntland. Ever since, Gen. Cadde/Afqurac had been trying to get Faroole out of office - and so they engineered the Parliamentary vote-of-confidence so that Xaabsade and Faroole (longest-serving PL ministers) would be expelled. He believed that he could replace Faroole with a fellow Reer Nugaal minister (i.e. Cabdi Salaad) who would easily "accept" the illegal "natural resource exploration" deal signed in a foreign city! As things stand right now, Reer Buuhoodle got their man (Xaabsade) back into office and Reer Garoowe got the mag (doubled) for the murdered boys and they're still deciding as to Faroole's case.

^^^Wind, you have not added anything new. What are the facts on the ground a gun battle between a clan and Puntland or a political dispute?

It was you who gave birth to this post and you are incapable of correcting yourself. As far as I know there is no armed conflict in sanaag as the post goes. As for corruption of Cade why get it confused with this particular issue?

^

Lemme guess: You'll believe it when SBC Radio reports it? News flash buddy: SBC is owned by Cadde's clan-cousin/PL minister of local gov't, Cabdi Awaare. You think he's willing to report news that'll "damage" the image of Puntland in the eyes of potential investors?

Secondly, corruption is the root cause of all of this. If Gen. Cadde had used the lawful ways of getting things done, none of this would've ever happened. You can't force people to accept an agreement THAT'S NEVER BEEN PRESENTED TO THEM!

Watch the cards, homie. Cadde has already shown his cards - he's willing to use force any time people disagree with him.

Originally posted by Peace Action:

The economy is in the best shape ever and there is progress. There is a
desire
by Cadde Muse to make his government transparent. The
only obstacle are the clans who want to keep their own corrup ministers
and do not want any change.

Isn't that the most facinating, fabricated piece of writing on this thread! So, we are to believe Gen. Cadde is a Godsend for Puntland - the Savior who has built Bossaso airport (still unfinished!), who has paid gov't employees (or has he?), and who's not a warlord like Col Yeey (so the ongoing conflict in Mahiyahan is a tea picnic, is it?). Who are you kidding?

How the economy does is irrelevant because it doesn't benefit the people. The money the PL gov't gets isn't distributed back to society because they don't even pay their employees. I believe MAAKHIR made an excellent point about how funds from Bossaso port go into the pockets of select men while funds from Berbera port pay for the salaries of thousands of employees!

Originally posted by Sky:

This conflict is blown out of proportion.

No, its not and you know it. SBC, AllPuntland, HorseedNet, Puntland Post, Idamaale (the Dayniile of Puntland!) - none of these websites have ever mentioned the ongoing conflict. Instead, they were quick to report the PL press conference that denied that fighting ever ocurred.

Its
a mere confrontation
sparked by the presence of Puntland troops sent to Majayahaan, 30 km southwest of Bossasso in Sanaag region,
to secure the area
for exploration activities by Range Resources.

There's no such thing as "mere confrontation" in Somalia. If blood is split, there's nothing "mere" about it. Secondly, since the PL gov't has the full support ;) of Reer Puntland, what is the necessity of sending in armed militias to "secure" an area whose inhabitants already support the PL agenda? I'll tell you why: because the inhabitants of the areas in question don't support Cadde's shady agenda!

^^^ Of course there is a degree of conflicts. What is happening in Mogadishu right now or the battles in ****** region last month can not be compared to the incident in Sanaag which is a mere disturbance of the local inhabitants.

I ask you Wind a simple question how many death and injuries has there been in this "armed conflict in Sanaag"?

^

Maybe the Bossaso-based Radio Midnimo is a "trusted" ;) site in your eyes:

Iskahorimaad ka Dhacay Deegaanka Majiyahan ee Duleedka Magaalada Boosaaso

Iskahorimaad hubeysan ayaa lagu soo waramayaa in uu ka dhacay deegaanka Majiyahan oo 20 Km Koonfur Galbeed kaga aadan magaalada Boosaaso.

Iskahorimaadkan ayaa lagu soo waramayaa in uu dhex maray ciidamo ka tirsan Puntland iyo dadka deegaankaas ku nool, kadib markii ay halkaas tageen toddobaadkan shirkad la sheegay in ay sahan macdanta ah ka sameyneyso dhulkaas.

Ciidamada Puntland ayaa waxay subaxnimadii hore ee saaka saldhiga magaalada Boosaaso keeneen
7 maxbuus
oo ay sheegeen in ay ku soo qabqabteen dagaalkii maanta dhacay.

Ilaa iminka war sugan lagama hayo khasaaraha dhabta ah ee dagaalkani geystay
, waxaana dadka badankiisu cabsi ka muujiyeen in arrintaani ay horseedo nabadgelyo xumo ka dillaacda deegaanka Puntland.

Deegaanka Majiyahan ayaa horay u ahaan jirtay goob ay macdanta ka qaban jirtay dowladii Soomaaliyeed iyo shirkad ka socotay dalka Bulgaariya.

Shirkadda ay Puntland heshiiska la gashay ayaa ka soo jeeda dalka Ustaraaliya, waxayna horay sahan noocan oo kale ah ugu soo sameysay deegamo ka tirsan degmada Qandala.

^^^ So there is no real information on the death and injury from this supposed conflict in sanaag.

Ok now look at this one can confirm that at least 20 have died in the last two days in Mogadishu. This information comes from the hospitals of Mogadishu and is reported by local media as well s Irin, BBC, and the rest of the world media.

So what makes this different than the one you and dayniile rushed to propogate?

^

Xamar is a mega-city and communication is very easy. The same cannot be said about Majiyahan, which is located at the heart of a mountainous region, as Puntland VP Afqurac said during the interview. So, getting factual numbers and figures is technically difficult but those numbers will come out, sooner or later.

Now, my turn to you a question: How come top-level PL officials continue to speak publicly about this story? Is Dayniile.com really that significant? Or are they [PL] desperately trying to hide this significant story?

You pick.

^^^ Oh my, top officials are not talking about a conflict but have been denying the runours as propogated by yourself on here.

As for the area is it more remote say than Yamarugle? I guess there is no figures because there was never any armed conflict in sanaag as some hoped. Now Mogadishu being a mega city, the battle was in Galgalato which is an empty area outside the city. Suppose then that no hospital in Badhan, or Bossaso or Erigavo reported any casulties three days after your report must categoricly prove that you was at least mislead.

Taleexi   

Mr. Oodweyne well Put. icon_razz.gif

G. Duke, Talker, Maakhir. I said it before and I will say it again!. If PL wants to survive this time and age, it has to treat equally to all its co-founders (sub clans), more importantly it also has to abide its very neutral constitution, of course it itself requires continuous, gradual amendments as new challenges surface along the time line. Having said that, so far the PL constitution is the sole entity available for referral for all conflict of interests that may emerge amongst the PL citizens, be it between government institutions or sub clans.

I can’t read President Adde’s mind but his actions attest that he is a weak, corrupt leader. Couldn’t he just suck long time ago Xaabsade, Faroole who is de facto ruler of the capital Garowe, Gaagaab and the likes. Who all happened to be those who are sending Adde’s performance Deep South and paralyzing the over all output of PL. I guess the bug stops on Adde’s desk. Furthermore, I am sensing that he is maximizing his sub clan’s political and economical dominance over the others, If I am right that will pose a great danger to all stakeholders of PL, and be reminded, including perpetuators.

In the case in point, natural resources should be explored in any given area only and only after proper and legal ways are satisfied.

DUKE -

So, in your eyes, all of this was caused by "the enemies" of Puntland? Its a grand media conspiracy, sabotaging the interests of Puntland, no?

"the enemies" of Puntland such as Dayniile, SL websites (who are predictably exploiting this dilemma), Somaliweyn.com, Bossaso-based Radio Midnimo and, of course, me ;) , right?

SomaliTalk.com has kept tens of pages on the Puntland natural resource exploration controversy.

I won't write another word on here until the full extent of the story comes out (and it will, insha Allah).

Peace.

So, in your eyes, all of this was caused by "the enemies" of Puntland? Its a grand media conspiracy, sabotaging the interests of Puntland, no?

"the enemies" of Puntland such as Dayniile, SL websites (who are predictably exploiting this dilemma), Somaliweyn.com, Bossaso-based Radio Midnimo and, of course, me , right?

I won't write another word on here until the full extent of the story comes out (and it will, insha Allah).

Peace.

You seem to have come back to your senses. You rushed at the news which was a conspiracy but not so grand or complex. Dayniile and Mr Qaynyare have been upset for the past month since his loss to the Courts and the exploitation of this by small oulets like Idamaale. So when they got a chance of course they hyped it as much s they could. Why you you eagerly propogated this news and then continued to do so when it became apparent that it was not true is interesting but unimportant to me.

Now the secessionist have an interest, Mogadishu warlord media have also an interest, why you, Horn and others would join in this PUNLAND bashing is quite amusing but alas un important...

As for sanaag and the clan in question remember they are no different to any other sub clan of the state, they have a right to be respected and their welfair is important to everyone in Puntland. Those who want to start clan conflicts in Puntland may god damn them..

As for you next time wait a little before you jump and if you do dont go up too far..