Sign in to follow this  
Rokko

Garaad Saleebaan, the most influential elder in Puntland speaks

Rokko   

My own awoowe Garaad Saleebaan, the most influential elder in Puntland speaks about the PL/SL war and the false borders of Somaliland na'mean.

"The people of Somaliland have been misguided. They really don't understand the true meaning of borders. The true borders in Somalia are tribal borders. Even the British and Italians knew these tribal borders and gave them more clarifications. The SL soldiers are within 150 miles of our tribal borders. They know that. We don't want to be part of Somaliland. I urge them to stop attacking our land and go back to their tribal borders and leave us alone. No tribe in Somalia can rule and enslave another tribe. That story never worked. We are part of Puntland and we are part of Somalia. We have our own administration. " ----- GARAAD SALEEBAAN

Listen to a more detailed interview here na'mean.

Garaad Saleebaan

BN   

I think the Garaad is saying what the majority in the region believe, that is, they are Somalis and wish to stay part of Somalia. They do not want be attacked and forced into this union with Somaliland; but they will defend themselves and their homes from aggressors.

And this is conflict is already getting uglier(propaganda wise) with uses of clan names rather than SL/PL, posting of photos of dead soldiers, parading prisoners, etc.

Let us hope cooler heads prevail.