Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Somali is better without a central gov't

Modesty   

I believe that Somalia is flourishing from the ashes of the civil war because we no longer have a central gov't. There are 10 competitive telephone services in Somali right now, and the services ther are much better than neighboring Kenya and Ethiopia. There is a pasta factory, plastic factory, as well as a new Coca Cola factory, and many more. The economy of Somalia is much better now than some developing nations.

I read somewhere that in the 70's between Africa and Asia, Asia was the poorer continent.However a study done in 1998 showed that Africa was poorer than Asia. The reason was mainly because Africa received more foreign aid from western nations. Somalia doesn't receive any foreign aid, and the people of Somalia have bravely shown that they can rebuild their land without the help of 5 oday warlords who are competing to get access to foreign aid money.

I say that Somalia is better without a central gov't.If anything, Somalia should have some type of Islamic gov't that plays a central role.

Bachelor   

Modesty, Not to be the pessimist here, but I fail to see how these few businesses is going to suddenly turn things around for somalia.

The country Somalia doesn’t have government thus no law, what you sale and buy is contraband because where there is no law there is no import revenue therefore it is logic that things could be cheaper than the countries where they have Government and law.

I agree and you are right Somalia business has been boomng without central government that relied on alternative system for runing the country since it has become failed state.

Since there is no taxes and laws control the buisness it easier to offer cheaper services like small industries, and cheap telecoms.

One thing is for sure thought, when you dont have a strong central gov. that secure the stablity of the counrty then this kind of Business environment has benefited commerchants for quick wealth and that is way many support for small regional states that pronlongs civil war and somali people sufferings.

Jumatatu   

Yes Somalia is booming with all the business, telephone, factories, communications such as FM radio and satelite TV, imports of basic necessaties such as food, clothing etc. Name it and all kinds of business is striving. The question is though, is this all to the benefit of the Nation? A big NO. One thing that it has proved is that Somalis are creative, and if not constricted can and are able to create a compatitive and prosperous market. However as far as the betterment of a nation and the well being of social fibre is concerned we have, as a Somali Nation, deteriarated and will take a long time to recover. The neo-rich and those who have made use of the demise of a Nation are few in comparisoon to those that lack the services of social infrastucture that can be provided by only a central government. Health, education, security and other social necessaties that should be taken for granted e.g water and electricity are absent in Somalia today. And it is present in places which can afford the price tag levied on by the cowboys. To rebuild such amenities again whether owned by a central government or controlled and monitered by it today or the coming years is a big task beyond the understanding by those who are horded in Mbagathi seeking to be part of a future Somali government. If they only knew what is required of them they would have stayed far away from it.

Cawralo   

M, I totally agree..if peace is ever restored, I doubt that there will be a strong central gov..,that seems to be what all these presidential canidates expect and paradoxically enough, that will be the reason of it's downfall. I see a federation of some kind..each one with it's own primitive desert-flag and so on.

IL CAPO   

Just because there is Pasta Factory and Telephone lines which as you said are much better than neighbouring Kenya and Ethiopia doesn't mean Somalia is better off.

forgive me but i totally disagree with you because

people and when i say people i am talking about the majority live under constant terror from their own kind and as long as there is no peace and stability somalia will never be better off.

you are talking about the "Haves" what about the "Have Nots"? did you ever ask them if they are happy with the current chaos that our country became famous for?

when you are making a statement about Somalia try to include the ordinary and poor people because they are Somali too.

Peace.

Haashim   

IL Capo, Ishaad ka ridday sxb. how many Somalis are dying for hunger and diseases while handfull war mongers are becoming Big Cats :mad: .

The experience taught us that: Corrupt government is better than without government as the justice in non muslim ountry is better than the oppression in your (muslim) home country.

Viking   

Modesty,

How are the mortality rates, literacy rates, malnutrition rates, number of doctors per 1000 people? How is agriculture doing? How is the safety of the general public upheld? Are taxes paid in order to sustain a public service? Is there a public service?

Modesty   

IL Capo when you said

the majority live under constant terror from their own kind and as long as there is no peace and stability somalia will never be better off.

Are you living in Somalia now? Your location says 'somewhere in Atlanta' not in Somalia. So you don't really know the present situation.I'm not denying that there is all good their but believe me Somalia is better of without the financial aid of America and Europe to corrupt us even more.

Viking you said,

Are taxes paid in order to sustain a public service? Is there a public service?

Let me tell you if their is one thing I hate about the 'developed world' is paying taxes.I don't care who it goes to or who it doesn't but if I worked for my paycheck, no one should take about any money from MY CHECK! Somalia's economy is flourishing now without the help of so called taxes because we have no central gov't or a Capitalism system of taking our money from our businesses by Somalis overseas sending money over there.

Many so called businesses in Somalia get their money illegally and they are those who are against the formation of any kind of Somali government. We are living under a government and getting all the benefits that comes with it roads, airports, police etc. I pay my taxes knowing I get better service for the few quid that I contribute to the treasury. Isn't it hypocritical to deny similar things for our people back home because of ideology of some sort. I like my people and wish best central government in the world.

Gabbal   

Is Somalia better off without a central government? I think the answer varies with eah individual, but sister i do not think so.

Sure we have a private sector thats booming, but thats because we have always had an entrepreneurial spirit about us. Imagine the posibilities that can arise from that if businessmen didn't have to pay exorbitant "security" rates to marauding militiamen. Imagine what can arise if those "security" rates were used as taxes to the country for the development and betterment of the nation and its people. Imagine what can arise from that if businessmen can trade goods in and out of the country. Imagine what can arise from that if businessmen can travel and sell goods freely within the country.

A central government is a must sister. Again the answer varies with each individual if he/she favors a central or federal government, but we cannot take this beating anymore. It is an insult to the people living in Somalia, who voice their aspirations for a Somali government in a more then a loud voice, if we in the qurbo now of all times question the validity of a government.

Somalia yearns for a place in the world. When our president can proudly meet other presidents. When our dust coating seats in international organizations can be filled. When this qabil hatred and violence can be ended once and for all. When we strive for a united and prosperous Somali cause. When we are admired and respected in the world with the mentioning of our Somali ethnicity and heritage. When we can finally make a difference in the world, not just ourselves. When our kids can go to school and sit for a national curriculum with a government approved teacher. When our mothers can finally rest, because all our fathers are dead from a idiotic and pointless war.

Some people wonder why I support ANY Somali so-called president that comes out of a reconciliation conference. The truth of the matter is, it is not the person coming out as the leader that matters to me, but the act of putting back the state together so that it can lead to a united and wonderful cause.

Waa inuu istaago isnaceebka aan macnaha laheen iyo isaruufka aan meel gaarsanayn.

Ilaahay meel na gaarsii.

We have wept too much.

We have bled too much.

We have dreamt too much.

Support this endeavor.

Support this peace conference.

Waa inuu istaago isnaceebka aan macnaha laheen iyo isaruufka aan meel gaarsanayn.

Ilaahay meel na gaarsii.

We have wept too much.

We have bled too much.

We have dreamt too much.

mash Allah powerful words from heart to every somali.

IL CAPO   

Originally posted by Modesty:

[QB] Are you living in Somalia now? Your location says 'somewhere in Atlanta' not in Somalia. So you don't really know the present situation.I'm not denying that there is all good their but believe me Somalia is better of without the financial aid of America and Europe to corrupt us even more.

First you have to understand that we are not fighting here but we are only exchanging an ideas my sister. :D

You are right I don't live in Somalia but how many people in here do?

We are all Somalis and most of us still have family members back home so we know what it is like to live in Somalia at the present moment and under this circumstance.

How many families would still survive without the money that most of us send back home every month?

How many parents could afford to send their children to school or madrassa without our contribution?

So I know what I am talking about when I say living in Somalia right now is like living in hell and these fat bellied and so-called warlords enslave people because there is no government, which protects the poor people from these criminals.

I agree with you we don't need colonial imperialists in our country but we do need their money because the same money that we send back home to feed on our families are their money so we can't just yet say "we don't need their Money".

Peace.

Sincere   

First you have to understand that we are not fighting here but we are only exchanging an ideas my sister

Qosool badanaa.. :D

Cities full with pharmacies, but the pharmacies full with outdated medecins

Are you serious? Are they are actually prescribing expired medications to unsuspecting people, or is this general knowledge to both parties, and yet they still ignore the potential health risks.

Sincere   

WARYA!!!

I smell a class action lawsiut against those indian pharmacuetical companies...*sic*..

Hoorta are autopsy's performed back home, mase we automaticaly assume its malaria or TB....