Sign in to follow this  
Fyr

Home

Fyr   

Four days ago, I was asked by a colleague who just arrived from Zimbabwe,"What is Somaliland's main attraction?" In my mind I knew what he wanted to hear, but I couldn't honestly utter words just to please him. There are no rolling green hills in this semi-arid land, no nearby forests or game parks to experience safari life. There are no cosmopolitan scenes or bustling city life to tread in the evenings.

Life is simple in this part of the world, it is still far from being affected by the consumerist plague that exists in many parts of the globe. No thugs that mercilessly rob and beat people on the streets, a common scene in major cities. It is a place where (as a dear friend would put it) mentally deranged individuals traumatized by war are treated humanely.

It is a place where men walk holding hands without fear of being labelled as homosexuals, for it doesn't exist in this country's culture. It is the most natural manifestation of brotherhood that bonds male Somalilanders.

Its lack of material wealth makes it a place suitable to nurture the more important things in life, relationships. One would learn to come out from the comforts of his private zone because there is no space for privacy in a place where sharing and compassion are the basic rules of engaging with its people. "What is yours is mine and what is mine is yours" a Somali friend once said as he tried to explain his people's concept of collective ownership. It is a place where the rich few are obliged to share its resources with his relatives deprived of economic wealth. People stick together and exercise resilience in times of difficulty.

Life in Hargeisa is simple and peaceful. So what is this country's main attraction? Its people. For some of us who have been given a chance to experience Somaliland, it is home.

Taste Of Africa

NGONGE   

Nice little article. Don’t doubt her sincerity or the fact that all of this is true. Can’t really say she added anything new there though. What she’s basically saying is that Somaliland is no different to Somalia, Djibouti or even some remote parts of Guatemala!

You see; I don’t really like people like this Yvette lady. Most articles she writs; she spends on praising the greatness of Somaliland! When a citizen of Somaliland does that, it’s understandable, he’s drunk with the euphoria of patriotism. Besides, it’s the done thing with most Somalias to praise and inflate everything. However, when a lady like her does that, I start to despair. I’m by no means anti Somaliland; I’m undecided as yet; erring slightly on the pro.

The reason I despair when I read pieces written by non-Somalis (somalilanders), is because I at least (naively) expected them to address the areas our fellow Somalis conveniently forget to mention or neglect.

It might be argued that HOPE is good and that by exaggerating all the achievements of Somalia/Somaliland/Puntland we sustain people’s hopes and assure them (and ourselves) of better things to come! Not a bad view to have for us outside Somalia. However, for those living the “dream†it’s the worst view they could ever have. It encourages laziness and lethargy. It tells them that most of the work is done and they needn’t worry about anything anymore.

For Somaliland, the one overwhelming thought is of RECOGNITION. Everything else is ok; Hargeisa is an international capital that can rival any other; Berbera is the Jewel of the Red Sea; Burco is the Chicago of Africa! Puntland has its own cities that receive similar acclaim (if not more); the rest of Somalia follows the same pattern. The new overwhelming thought for these parts of course, is the new government and how it will finally bring security to the country and bring it back up from the gutter.

Now, while Somalis are all busy having these sweet dreams (which, incidentally, I hope will soon become reality for all), why isn’t people like Yvette talking about the poor, hungry, mad, disabled and drug-riddled? Why is she falling for and propagating the same rhetoric? :(

LANDER   

NGONGE,

sxb call me bias,a blind patriot or whatever else but its my honest opinion that there are no regions today in somalia that can compare to Somaliland even with all of our countries short-comings. In some aspects such as democratic reform and transparency (that is as much as an african country can be "transparent") there are few countries that can compare in the entire continent. One has to give credit where credit is due and that is why most foreigners are amazed when they come to Hargeisa because they only have the lasting impressions of the civil war and anarchy etched in their heads and yet are confronted with a different reality. That being said, there are alot of matters to be improved in Somaliland and that is not the point here, rather what I'm trying to tell you is that one cannot always focus on the negative aspects because that would be rather depressing and unproductive. This woman Yvette Lopez keeps a diary of her stay in Somaliland and she does mention many of the areas the country needs to improve on and as a matter affect NGO workers such as herself are very much welcomed to Somaliland because the people themselves want to see change in their country and are aware of the existing problems. When I am looking for facts about certain alleged events whitin Somaliland usually propagated by its enemies, I go to these NGO and human rights groups stationed in Somaliland to see if what is being reported has any substance, and I am glad those groups are present in the country.

You say that the overwhelming matter is recognition but I beg to differ, Somalilanders are happy so long as they are masters of their own destiny. Perhaps you think this is just some more cheap rhetoric, but something tells me that once the disillusionment with respect to the idealistic concept of somalinimo sets in with you, you will find your way out and claim your rightful place among the brotherhood of Somalilanders. A people who share your unique aspects of the Somali culture,your values and upbringing. From experience, it has almost always been the case when I've seen people in a position similar to yours.

NGONGE   

^^^ Heh. :D

Let me make one thing clear here, saaxib. I am no advocate of a greater Somalia. To me the whole discussion is pointless. I also I’m not much of a great fan of Somaliland. If either does happen or take place then fine; great news for those that wanted it. I don’t live there and, frankly, it does not change anything in my life style. Being a Somali however (Somalilander to be exact), the welfare of my people does concern me.

I was born in Burco and for the few months that I lived there and managed to sample the sweet and aromatic air of that city, I believe to have earned the right to call myself a Somali (lander). I will not go to the trouble of using my tribal lineage as proof of my citizenship (but oh, what a lineage it is).

Nonetheless, this does not concern my loyalties or views on the political front. This was purely a comment on the Somali (lander or otherwise) habit of exaggerating and inflating achievements. Yes, Somaliland has done well. Yes there is some form of democracy, security and order. Yes, the people are content. I really could go on and on about how great the place is. However, this does not contradict the fact that there are awesome problems yet to be solved or overcome.

Let us be honest with each other, saaxib. The place is a tip! No matter how much it’s decorated with all sorts of things, it still remains a dump. I agree that it used to be worse than this and that the people have worked very hard to improve things. I acknowledge their hard work and applaud the improvements made too. However, so far, and judging by what’s to be found on the ground, it is still a mess. I don’t mean to insult the place with these words of mine, I don’t mean to upset you (inadeer smile.gif ), I just tell it as I see it and as I’ve found out when I’ve asked people. :(

Note that my reply was not directed at Somaliland alone. If anything, Puntland is the one I should have gone for. After all, our Puntland Nomads never waste an opportunity to tell us how great that place is. So much so, that I often find myself dreaming about the Bosaso skyscrapers and the Growe Metro system! Humbug I say! Donkey’s backside! Total and utter twaddle!

Maybe I’m aiming for something more than simple peace and a corrupt but functioning government. Maybe I’m asking people to run before they can walk! Maybe I’m being unreasonable. I just can’t help being sceptical about the place when all I read and hear are songs of praise and no complaints. This place is in Africa after all, surely there is some slight problem that’s keeping people awake, saaxib! Why don’t I ever hear about the work done to improve the lives of the most needy of people? Why is it always self-praise? Why should I take the idiotic boasts about Hargeisa’s one functioning traffic light seriously? (This is a made up example, so don’t worry yourself about posting any photos).

Somehow, I don’t think you’ll ever see where I’m coming from and what I’m asking for here. Like all the other Somalis, you seem to be too protective of the place and take criticism as a complete denial of the state of Somaliland (change it to Somalia, Puntland or whatever, depending on your preference).

As for the issue of recognition, it’s what I read in most Somaliland websites! It seems to be the overwhelming goal of the government. It’s not something I made up, saaxib.

Fyr-Kanten,

Thank you for the clarification, brother. I take all I said about her back.

Baashi   

The good lady fills a void :D . My caanteyn for the topic.

Ngonge,

Discussion of the “Greater Somalia†subject is not a pointless debate if the participants (whether pro or con) are willing to debate on its merits. I have yet to see a rational refutation from the SOL nomads who cry a river whenever others make the case for it. There are so many “pointless†and trivial topics in this forum if we are to examine them - the “point†behind these. At least this one has historical and political significance.

Granted its relevance in today’s politics are questionable - we are in a civil war, after all! But when it comes up, as it sometimes will, in the context of the secession, unity, etc. nomads who mention it in their argument in relation to the secession have to qualify their reasoning (if they have one) when they blame or declare they are against its tenant. Too often, many folks confuse “greater Somalia†(Somaliweyn) with Somalia that once existed. That’s sad runtii. I guess I'm reasonable fella )I think myself that way) and I would acknowledge if one of the nomads (those who oppose it) make the case against it - short of simple dismissal.

See u Monday fellas. I’m done here and I’m ready to call it a day.

LANDER   

Ngonge sxb I agree with you and I share many of your sentiments. At some points your even answering your own questions, you say the place is dump and we need to better the lives of our people and you go on to say that one cannot run if they can't walk which is exactly the point sxb, we all want the betterment of our people but progress comes slowly specially when you start with virtually nothing. We are humble people we have very little to begin with but yet it the current progress is a start is not? As they say "do for yourselves like ants in a colony", little by little we shall perceiver and build our nation feed our people and so one day every single somalilander can live life adequately. Sxb we all want the same things you want, but for a sense of national identity and security to foster the political questions cannot be overlooked as you would prefer. Politics is indeed a dirty game but you must dig in and get your hands dirty if you expect to achieve any of your noble aspirations. In my view, as a people you must take a stance sooner or later or fall victim to the hands of history. They say the yanks use to sing songs of the greatness of america before they even achieved their independance from the british, it was used as an instrument to create unity and common identity for the colonies and till this day young kids in american schools are obliged to pledge allegiance to the flag every morning. The "manifest destiny" carved out the planed american borders much to the chagrin of the spaniards and british, and with all their flaws their is much to be learned from the americans in nation building. Case in point being that I have no problems with those who sing the praises of our country as I feel our sense of identity grows stronger by the day, little by little even those who had been sheltered or turned a blind eye to the concept of Somaliland are having to accept it. But the essential part comes in the deeds we do for our country and in that respect I couldn't agree more with you, its not enough to just wave the flag we must invest time, effort, energy or any other means we have to contributing to the well being of our people. That is why Somaliland needs young people like yourself and I to do our share do you not agree? It is not enough to just talk about how awful the streets are in burco or how much the hargeisa hospital is lacking modern instruments we must do what we can to help out. In the end all those aspirations are good in intent but useless if the people do not feel secure and that is what the state aperatus provides. Identity, Security and hope for future progress. If Allah wills it, we shall continue towards the betterment of our country.

NGONGE   

^^^ This thread is making me take my words back! :(

I was wrong about you, saaxib. Apologies.

smile.gif

Seeing that I've just apologised twice already on this very short thread, I hope Baashi will excuse me if I don't comment on the points he raised. The one point I’ll address though, is my use of the phrase “greater Somaliaâ€. On that occasion, I meant the old republic and not the romantic concept of all the lands in which Somalis reside. :D

N.O.R.F   

Somaliland does have a proud persona, this has been contributed to by the do-gooders of the 'country' over recent years. the good work done tends to gloss over the need for a more focused. This pattern is repeated across the whole of Africa and Asia yes, but it does not mean to ignore it. There are other issues to consider, like why are most of the NGOs set up in and for Hargaisa only? Are the NGOs achieving what they set out to do? Is the NGO style productive?

Ahh salatul jumca, to be continued,,,,,,,,

India   

Ngonge

I know you've apologised but I must say I am disappointed not so much in your comments but more towards your attitude of "it is not to my standard thus will have nothing to do with it for now!!".

Somaliland is at the stage where we should be asking "what can I do for my country?" and NOT "what has it done for me lately". As a Somalilander Ngonge you dont am afraid, or should I say you should not give yourself the luxery to wait for things to improve. As lander summed it up nicely "try and do your pit" and be proud of the little bits we have because if my memory serves me right it was just yesterday when we could not even set a foot inside Burco(Bombing, inhabitable &destructed buildings etc) let alone moan at what tip its!!!

Our forefathers begin and won the battle, now its down to us to keep the legacy alive and well.

You carry the aviator of a mujahid, you can be one in your times ;) . There many many groups out there in the Diaspora, get involved, do your bit and in no time we will have a Somaliland in which even Ngonge(high standard and all) is proud off.

Dusty

Gabbal   

Our forefathers begin and won the battle, now its down to us to keep the legacy alive and well.

Those forefathers have always had Somali Unity in their minds sis, so do not disgrace them.

Those forefathers were fighting against the likes of Riyaale, Qaybe, Ismail Yare, and Waraabe. Those same men your forefathers were fighting against are the ones in power now.

They are using what they were doing in the northwest as a way to blackmail the general puplic from voicing their support for unity.

Tuur opted for unity, Egal was trying to keep tribal peace in the northwest, before a legitimate somaliwide government were to be established, and even men like Hadraawi are working for unity.

India   

Horn read my lips:

WE DONT WANT UNITY.

EVEN IF YOU WANT TO CLAIM THAT OUR FOREFATHERS WANTED UNITY(i DOUBT VER MUCHO)....HERE AND NOW! TODAY, MANTA, ALYUM DI, BROTHERS HOW MANY LINGO'S DO I HAVE TO BREAK IT TO YOU IN:

THE AVERAGE JANE AND JO SOMALILANDERS, MY AGE GROUP DONT WANT TO UNITY WITH NO ONE.

FOR THE LAST GOD FORSAKEN TIME, STOP WASTING YOUR TIME WITH SOMALIWEYN DAY DREAMS. FOR YOUR OWN SAKE HORN, HUNO WALAHI WAN KA WERWERSANAHAY! LET GO..............

--------------------------------------

Those forefathers were fighting against the likes of Riyaale, Qaybe, Ismail Yare, and Waraabe. Those same men your forefathers were fighting against are the ones in power now.

------------------------------------------

REALLY? Here I was thinking it was your uncle Siyad Bare they were fighting and disposed of!

:confused:

"Runta wa lgu rafta Bena wa lagu baa" Dusty circa 2004©

©: copy right phrase.

India, i could understood u better if your name was hargesia, or berbera, or burco, namean!! but india why! why! sista!!

also, the q's should what has somaliland done for its ppl! NADA! ZERO! SELIGE!!

after almost 20 yrs of bragging, huffing and buffing!! the so called govt has not build one single entity, like a hospital, post office, a school, a university!!

These so called leaders have created a fantasy island where they can suck the blood of their ppl... and then cry out wolf wolf!! and give false cries to ppl like INDIA!! WHO DONT Q'S THEM!

I HOPE ONE SUNNY DAY A LANDER WILL ASK! WHAT U DOING TO OUR TAXES MR RIYAALITY-CLUELESS!! :confused: