Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

African Union Shuts the Door of Recognition to Somaliland

Jaylaani   

Exactly!

I don't think these guys, Duke, camir and others, are aware of such countries. Recognition isn't everything. These countries are true testimony of that. East Tamil is also going into that direction in Sri Lanka.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Jaylaani:

You don’t miss what you don’t have.

Recognition would have been icing on the cake but it doesn’t validate our existence. That comes from within. The people of Somaliland recognized them selves as a sovereign nation and productive society in the global village.

Exhibit one, look at the last 16 years and how well that country developed without any international aid. When there is a will, there is a way.

If recognition doesn’t come legal, Somaliland will eventually get special status.

Don’t buy the lie, saaxib. It’s either recognition or nothing at all. If recognition is not a big deal then what stops you from accepting to be part of the greater federal Somalia? You’ll still have some form of autonomy as a federal state!

haha ,,,,,,, i don't know why u fall in love with somaliland idinkoo tiiniiba hagaajin kari la' ,,,, horta what is special about somaliland ee aad uga quusan la'dihiin ??? :D

Jaylaani   

ADNA MAX'M MOOGOOW

AAKHIRO HALKAY TAHAY

CABDI QAYSBA WAYDII.

That is nice picture of teh mujaahis himslef.

NGONE,

Saaxiib walaahi kumaan fahmin halkaad ka heesaysee bal ii jilci.

NASSIR   

Jaylaani, the recent UN/World Bank study on both Puntland and Somaliland concluded the two entities' annual budget are nearly equivalent and 80% of it are spent on security and personnel salary, leaving behind a big gap on improvement of social services I also find it ludicrous that you would compare Taiwan, an economic powerhouse to a triangle of three desert cities. :D

Ngonge, are you denying that "Somaliland" asked the AU for recognition? It did several times. It asked the organization itself to recognize that divisive entity. You don't have to reduce the repeated assertion of "Somaliland" to a simpler, unwanted detail that shows groundless argument. Second, when a sovereign country intends on dismembering, it first looks its national ties, politically and economically, to the country that it might want to harm by violating the country's territorial integrity. No country has ever decided to dismember Somalia.

[edit]

Also, the idea that British Somaliland was independent for five days is also flawed. I don't know the reason why the pundits on the Somali issues have never paid attention to the fact that this protectorate's union with Italian Somaliland was prepared even before the independence.

"In February 1959, the British Colonial Secretary Mr. Lennox-Boyd issued a statement that Britain was ready to assist both regions coalesce. Few months later, the U.N General Assembly adopted a new resolution that put the date of Independence several months ahead of its scheduled date, terminating Somalia’s trusteeship at July 1, 1960. Moreover, On 6 April 1960, three months before Independence, the legislative council of “Somaliland” passed “a resolution for immediate independence and union with Somalia,” according to I.M Lewis, in his book, “Modern History of Somaliland.” Hence, it can be interpreted from these events that preparation for the unification of the two regions was initiated prior to Independence. The Union didn’t come voluntarily from either regions but was fully consummated through collective effort. Lewis writes,

"With this behind them, delegates from the Protectorate conferred with government leaders in Mogadishu in the middle of April. By this time the preparation of Somalia’s Constitution for independence had been completed, and the protectorate delegates agreed to its general terms that the Republic which they would join should be a unitary state, with an elected President as Head of State, and be governed by a Prime Minister and Council of Ministers responsible to a single legislative body."

Source

Here is an article posted by Tolstoy on May 3, 2005.

Burden me, I will be busy the whole day. I just came back to check on the thread.

Thanks Xaruuri for your input. I had the same thinking that this project is now reduced to denigrating Somalis.

RedSea   

Caamir and Duke, what do you have other than a recognition?

That question needs to be answer. The so called TFG doesnt' have the support of majority of somalis from southern Somalia which it claims to represent.

TFG has a recogntion, what else does it have? other than thugs and warlords among it.

As a young somali living abroad, I frankly don't understand the hole buzz about getting sovereignty for Somaliland, the hole concept has been new to me so I've been opposing it, naturally. Now can anyone change my mind and explain all this? From my point of view, it's still the same race, same ppl living on slightly more arid but developed (infrastructure wise) land.

Also, I would like to have a more detailed outline on the relevance between the Somaliland issue and Switzerland/Taiwan as one member pointed out. It seems to be a far-fetched analysis.

NASSIR   

"The whole press release is a load of claptrap that I’m surprised you’re taking it seriously there, Duke.

Though it claims that the actions of the Somaliland representatives were hopeless it fails to realise its very own desperation there (in fact, it has the feel of outright panic)!

......f that is the extent of the collective knowledge and common sense of the NSPU I really do feel sorry for the people of Sool, Sanag and whatever the third place was called. "

You have a bad habit devoid of moral wisdom and intellect. I hope you might one day work on your good will by engaging yourself with the works of great writers like Martin Luther King jr. I say this because it is in part my observation of how you critique things or persons. :D

NASSIR   

Oodweyne, check the link I posted on Tolstoy. Or let me post the preamble and address of the letter.

Following is the text of the speech delivered by Mr. Abdulqadir Jirdeh on behalf of the two Houses of Parliament to the AU delegation:

REPUBLIC OF SOMALILAND

BOTH HOUSES OF SOMALILAND PARLIAMENT

MEMORANDUM ON SOMALILAND

Date: May 3, 2005

Your Excellency, Deputy chairman {Deputy AU Chairman)

Honorable members of the delegation

Fellow members of Parliament

Ladies and Gentlemen

Another effort from Somaliland officials, ending in embarrassment:

Somaliweyn Media Centre

Wafdi ay hogaaminaysay Wasiirka Haweenka Somaliland ayaa maanta isaga baxay shir ay lahaayeen haweenka dalalka Uganda, Kenya, Somalia iyo Suudaan kulankaani oo looga hadlayey arrimaha hourmarinta haweenka Soomaalida ayaa wafdiga Somaliland iyo wasiirkeedaba isaga baxay ka dib markii lagu wargaliyey inay ka mid noqoto haweenka ka yimi gobolada dalka Somalia iyadoo loo sheegay inay matalayaan gobolada waqooyi.

This, if anything, shows the unprofessional methodology that the govermental institutions of Somaliland is carrying on. They should've at least have gathered enough information about the summit (a non-political one) before they departed in order to prevent such embarrasing negations. Or maybe these officials and ministers representing Somaliland are going by the phrase "it goes without saying" ...

RedSea   

^Economist,

fair and honest question. Although recogntion was 'denied' by these AU nations, does that still deny them any potential recogntion to get from more advanced technologically, financially European countries, than nations of the 'dark' continent?

Some of these nations are struggling for their existance, if we even compare some of these nation to somaliland, we could honestly conclude that Somaliland is ahead of them both economically and YES stability by far.

So AU is nothing in my view.