Sign in to follow this  
Mohamed nuur

Osmaniya, Lets Return IT

As you know, recently we had a buzz about the osmaniya languge OR THE SOMALI LANGUAGE, Most of us think we had this latin alphapet all of ur lifes but the osmaniya was in use until 1979 before the crooks came into power and to my knowlodge and many others, this is was to show the west and other whites or westerners including russians that somalia could be become like them, and truly it was disastorous for our country, please if you can vote on this do it now but please go to this websites first websites first:

http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2361r.pdf (Originally posted by NASSIR )

and the interview;

http://somalinet.com/library/osmaniya/?show=micheal_int

Gabbal   

You're making it seem as if Somalis are very literate and have been using the Osmaniya script for eternity.

The Osmaniya script was invented about 30 to 40 years before the Latin script become the official Somali script, so I don't think you could call it "historical" in the sense that it was in use for a long time.

Besides I think the Latin script is the best solution for Somali, if we want to safegaurd the future of the language and modernize.

This is obviously the seconf part of that other post, this is the voting part and the discussion is in the other post.

i liked to thank all that voted, this is vote goes on forever and has no limit day, i will suggest you all vote and express your fillings upon the matter or at least show your view.

BN   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

The Osmaniya script was invented about 30 to 40 years before the Latin script become the official Somali script, so I don't think you could call it "historical" in the sense that it was in use for a long time.

How about 'historical' in the sense that it is a part of our history. And I would have thought you'd be prouder; what with being a nationalist and all... :D

I personally would not mind seeing implemented a Somali version of the Arabic alphabet. Similar to the type used by the Iranians and Pakistanis. I think this will help literacy as nearly all Somalis can read/write the Qur'an. But for the moment the best and most economical would be to stay with the Latin.

I personally dont think we should adopt the osmaniyan script as the official language of somalia because if somalia wants to have a place as a modern country it should try to move forward not backward so i voted no on the osmaniyan script. And i looked at it, its basically arabic just differnt symbols and slightly changes with accordance of the somali language as it is different from arabic.

Rahima   

At this point in Somali history, this is irrelevant.

Don't you people think we have greater issues of importance to address?

Gabbal   

How about 'historical' in the sense that it is a part of our history. And I would have thought you'd be prouder; what with being a nationalist and all...

Bari I was just responding to this :rolleyes: :

the osmaniya was in use until 1979 before the crooks came into power and to my knowlodge and many others, this is was to show the west and other whites or westerners including russians that somalia could be become like them, and truly it was disastorous for our country,

I personally like the Osmaniya script and I believe if it was implemented as our script instead of the latin one, it would have given me more nationl and Somali pride, but I don't see how we can "change" scripts as of the moment and it might even be coutner-productive.

I ask if that was the end to voting on the subjected, i thik it was good disscussion and i would eb checking sson, may be on friday, and by that time i will take any result possiple.

by the way, if you can still vote or have a feeling about the issue, please do so

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

This topic does not interest me. I wonder if the admin has the ability to merge threads! :rolleyes:

LOL. Saxib, if you didn't know, some somalis have an emotional attachment to this Osmaniya Script while most others haven't heard of it or don't see it to have any significance. For some, It is like a revival of something precious lost in case you haven't figured it out. You will learn "the whys" people write what they write as you come along. You won't be Mr.Novice to Somali Politics :D Hang On Saxib.

Xoogsade LOL,

well said some brother are proud of the Osmaniya script . The problem is why some are proud of it when all should be. Why do people not take pride in the invention of the Somali script, why not embrace what is one of the greatest achievements of the Somali race...

I dont know the latin script let alone Osmaniya but I will try to learn both, one for practical reasons the other out of historical pride.

MY FATHER WRITES OSMANIYA SCRPT IN FACT IT IS THE ONLY WRITTEN SCRPT HE KNOWS AND USES IT TO WRITE LETTERS TO HIS BROTHERS AND SISTERS.I DONT KNOW IT AS WELL AS I SHOULD BUT I AM LEARNING FROM HIM BIT BY BIT.HOPEFULLY IN SHALLAH I WILL MASTER IT AND PASS IT DOWN THE GENERATIONS.

wow ORGILAQE, i think you have a facinating point there, just casue we dont like to read does not mean so other people not only read the somali without any troubly(hmmmmmmmm,like me) but they understand the importance of histrical pride, light in a tunnel of darkness and its truly encouraging to read a story like the above, by the way, tell you dad to send me a letter

NUR