Sign in to follow this  
Garaad Bari

SH Atom on BBC

Agent Attam is a desperate man who has lost many of his men, even this staged interview highlights that he is isolated and has no real support of the people he claims he is defending.

Jo' ar ukaadi DG xagee irsaaqadu qanimadu taalaa boowe? Garowe no? Qardho no?,,,,,sidii oday baad u hadli jirtay way ku yara gaadhey hada miyaa? Waar isyara daji ninyohow cunugaan Xudeedi anaa leh kadhin adeer. :D

Thankful   

You know what upsets me about the BBC, they claim they are just doing their job by reporting the news. However, what they really did was give this terrorist leader an audience so he can try and recruit more young and uneducated people.

Atam took advantage of this interview to recruit by asking people why they are not defending their destroyed belongings (which we all know never occurred). He was than able to accuse Ethiopia and the U.S of involvement of this affair and how it is some kind of religious war. The man is fully aware that the BBC is heard by so many.

The BBC should be ashamed of itself, it should not give these kinds of people an oppurtunity to propagate their murderous agenda, the man is basically trying to rally supporters to over-throw the government so he can place his own leadership. I also completely agree with Puntlands ban on refusing to allow any news agency to interview him. This BBC interview is proof of why such a ban should be in place.

NGONGE   

^^ :D a little Faroole in the making, aren't you? :D

The media's job is not to make a judgment. It is to report the news as it sees fit. The BBC broadcasts the videos of Osama Bin Laden without worrying about his recruitment drives. It is the only way to show(prove) fairness. Wax fahan.

Thankful   

The media will never release a Bin Laden tape until they have been cleared to do so. Only after the government has analyzed it to ensure it is safe.

Africa is different just like we saw in Rwanda and how extremists were able to use the radio to incite murder; the BBC and other news agencies should be aware that these kinds of interviews can cause bloodshed.

Interviewing men who openly call to overthrow a government should not be allowed. That in my opinion can’t be justified as doing their job or not making judgment.

NGONGE   

^^ And Bin Laden's tapes are all full of songs, are they? He is not calling for a Jihad, is he? :D

Africa might be different but you are not (or at least you should not be). Freedom of the media should be paramount, if you believe in a proper state and not some micky mouse adminstration. Today, Atam may be in the wrong. But what about tomorrow? What if it is YOU who is fighting this admin and what if you were actually right? How would anyone hear of your ordeal if the government can ban any media that does not toe the official line? War wax fahan, this is bigger than Atam.

Thankful   

If I was fighting the admin it would not be through violence. As we have seen with other Puntland governments there are ways to change things without inciting war. However, Atam chooses not to use dialogue! He is a violent man, who is claiming that he is being persecuted because of religion. If I wanted to go on the air in any western country and start calling for what he does i.e. violent revolt..They would never allow me to do so. The BBC should be more responsible!

Now if the government will not do anything to the BBC for interviewing Atam, yet arrest Abdifatah Jama from Horseednet for doing it; then he must be released. There cannot be a double standard.

Thankful   

I agree, what they could do is what they did to the VOA and suspend them for the air. (well I am not sure if it is possible or not).

The thing is that Atam is a man with little to no support, he is on the run and is so desperate he needs to question people on why they are not joining his cause, the BBC has given him a forum to recruit.

This is about peoples lives and further violence at the hands of this man and his small amount of followers.

Yusuf Garad of the BBC has been waging his own Maadey type Jihad on Puntland for a decade now and look where it got him and his group.

Attam is a wounded man; his pride has been damaged as he landed hard back on planet Earth. He needs more men, there are some here who are full of bravado maybe they need to go back and help the man out…

:D

NGONGE   

^^ Forget Atam, this is about the principle of the freedom of the press. Is the BBC (or Horseednet) aiming to incite violence by interviewing Atam or are they showing both sides of the story (as their job should entail)?

We live in a time where nobody could suppress the news anymore. It is better to hear Atam on the BBC than read about comments people attribute to him. Don't let your crazy support for Faroole blind you, saaxib.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Forget Atam, this is about the principle of the freedom of the press. Is the BBC (or Horseednet) aiming to incite violence by interviewing Atam or are they showing both sides of the story (as their job should entail)?

NGOONGE adeer Attam should not be given a platform, and Puntland has done well thus far.

The Horseedmedia editor should not have been treated that way, but Attam, Al Shabaab & any crazed secessionist should not be given a platform to air their heretical views about God & country...

NGONGE   

^^ Why not? You already think his is a lost battle on all fronts (even the moral one). What are you afraid off? For every interview Atam gives, Faroole can give ten and ilka jiir can give twenty. What's the problem? :D

I tell you again, this is not about Atam. This is about the FREEDOM OF MEDIA in a state that wants to be taken seriously. Support Faroole against 'others' but, when it comes to things that may in future hurt you it is best to stand up and tell him to calm down.

^^^^NGOONGE, we have told Faroole to calm down in the past and will continue in the future. However the likes of Attam & Al Shabaab should and will not be given a platform to indulge the fantasies of crazed men. Somali’s are an oral society as you are aware and they belive any old lie, the “Jihadi” wannabe need only a few words to set off their internal bombs. Thus the state must control its airwaves, there is no point to reacting to the likes of Attam, the aim is to make him a persona non grata and not giving him a platform at all is the first step towards that reality. After all he is not a political leader, a resource preserver, but a monster who wants to destabilize a stable state.