Sign in to follow this  
Garaad Bari

SH Atom on BBC

NGONGE   

^^ But you CAN'T, you bucket. :D

He will still get interviewd by the BBC and if not them then VOA and if not them then on PALTALK and if not that then on a million websites and if not that then by word of mouth. Wax fahan.

There is no defence for the suppression of the free media, saaxib. NONE.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^

There is no defence for the suppression of the free media, saaxib. NONE.

No one is suppressing the free media walaal, just suppressing and frustrating the hell out of Agent Attam of Al Shabaab. He can go on the BBC[Yusuf Garad] VOA [Yabarowe] and his own clan rabid radical websites all he likes. The state main organs and reputable outlets will continue to ignore him, and will portray him and those outlets as anti Puntland which they are. Open your eyes mate, the aim is to suppress him, and nothing more. :D

^^ But he has not been suppressed. .

He has been suppressed, now his voice is heard on Paltalk which no one inside Puntland listens to, and the BBC which the population rightly views as a mouth piece for the states enemies. He is as influential in Puntland today as Ahmed Diiriye and Ali Dheere are. Just another enemy who works for Al Shabaab.

Thankful   

Ngonge,

Unlike other countries, most Somalis back home don't use the internet or get their news from television. Their number one source is radio, at certain times (usually evening), virtually everyone sits near their nearest radio and listens to the BBC, whether it is in the bigger cities or small villages, you can see in practically every coffee shop and home many people listening to the radio.

So I agree controlling media is impossible when it comes to the internet, even repressive countries are having trouble, but in Somalia controlling the radio can do a lot more than it would anywhere else. The poor and easily manipulated might actually believe Atam's lies! You heard the man, he is desperate. The argument that we should have feel threaten by his words is nonsense because we have seen in Africa what the radio can do.

Freedom of media does not trump security...people who want to cause death and destruction by overthrowing the government should not be able to voice their ideologies as a recruitment tool.

NGONGE   

^^ In Somalia one can not control the media because the media is WORD OF MOUTH (i.e. Waxa la yedhi). However, that case would give FALSE reports and ones that are sprinkled with bias. Here, you get to hear the man speak and you also get to hear his opponents speak (and make your mind up).

The poor/ignorant will not fall for Atam's word when they have ilka jiir giving double the number of interviews. Well, not unless you believe Atam to be correct of course. Wax fahan.

In a fair administration the freedom of the media trumps everything. If you set the precedent of suppressing your "enemies" today, there is nothing stopping you from suppressing your "friends" tomorrow. It's all down to the judgment of Faroole!

Get the importance of this point, saaxib. Faroole will turn PL into a dictatorship if he does not recognise the no go areas.

^^ In Somalia one can not control the media because the media is WORD OF MOUTH (i.e. Waxa la yedhi). However, that case would give FALSE reports and ones that are sprinkled with bias. Here, you get to hear the man speak and you also get to hear his opponents speak (and make your mind up).

Poor NGOONGE, the aim is not to level the playing field between a terror agent and the state. Propoganda is an important tool in war & peace and the state [poor] at it at the moment has done fairly well thus far. The people of Puntland have their own media channels which they trust, these have been bared by the law of the land to not allow agent Attam & his group spreading their filth. Thus Attam now relies on underground channels the radical Disapora types which no one respects. The Paltalk channel which no one inside the state has access to and the BBC which is not trusted that much.

I am disappointed with the state thus far it has not found a coherent way of dealing with the BBC & VOA. As for Faroole dictatorial tendencies, leave that to us adeer.

NGONGE   

^^ Can't leave it to you, badow yaho. You are hopeless at it dee. If you don't uphold the rules and are blind enough to follow Faroole into oblivion, I've got to point it out and tell you that you're ruining your dreams with your stubbornness.

I have no love (or hate) for PL. I just hate to see people's hard work going down the drain at the hands of clueless Faroole.

Thanks for all the support adeer. Your points will be taken into consideration, the last one yes. But Attam & his voice shall be suppressed. Even if we allow airing his views we will do a voiceover like the BBC used to do to Sinn Fein back in the good old days. :D

^^^No adeer the BBC is rightly blamed for airing this terrorists voice. But if one wants vintage Calaacal they need not go further than Dolow Ethiopia, then go to the small tree which Hiiraale has called home for the past two years. :D

NG has a point, how can you suppress interviews with Attom and then use his own words against him. For me everytime he gives interview he reveals his true agenda which has nothing to do with clan or resources but pure violent power grab like his alshabaab brothers. My suggestion for TF is stop digging.

Waxaan maqli jiray "HABAR DHALI WAYDAY KUWAALATAY ALEELO" Gen Duke iyo raga lafekhera waxaan leeyahay sxbyaal plse stop being so hypocrite,,,,, itz obvious currently admin handled so badly this Atom case which impacted the popularity this administration enjoyed since they came to power.

Since the war was waged against this wadaad almost 2 mnths ago, yet thre is no tangible outcome out of this unnecessary conflict, still alot of lifes and properties were lost. so to come back to my point lets openly address and discuss our failures as p/landers instead of blaming others.

Xudeedi and other Atom cyber supporters the region does not need and will not allow warlordism and armed gangz in 2010. this region was one of the most peacefull since somalia has gone and we must maintain this while using clear sense.

Conflict serves the interest of no one!!!

Silencing the media is not the best option but using the media is the best policy. In this case, Faroole is following those old rules set by Stalin which is not working today.

If horseedmedia can reach few thousands now the BBC and VOA can reach hundreds of thousand if not millions .........