Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

Oil; deciet and lies: A dangerous mix indeed

Sophist   

Somalia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somalia: Puntland pres pushing exploration deal

17 Oct 17, 2006, 20:03

Adde Muse, Puntland president

GAROWE, Somalia Oct 17, 2006 (Garowe Online) - Confidential sources in Dubai have informed Garowe Online that the President of the Somali State of Puntland, Mohamud “Adde†Muse, embarked on a secret trip to Malaysia, where he is scheduled to meet with Abdullahi Yusuf Mohamed “Harare,†the energy minister of the Baidoa-based interim government.

Minister Abdullahi Harare, who is a businessman suspected of printing and flooding Somali markets with fake currency, is the son of the former Somali energy minister, Mr. Yusuf Mohamed Harare, who died in 2005 in Australia.

President Adde Muse’s unannounced trip to Malaysia to meet with Energy Minister Abdullahi Harare is connected to his political push to have the Somali government ratify a recent deal signed between two foreign companies – Range Resources, Ltd., and Canmex Minerals – to explore natural resources in Puntland.

On October 11, Australia-based Range announced that they signed a memorandum of understanding with Canada-registered Canmex, giving the latter an 80% stake in the Puntland exploration project.

In that same press release, Range claimed to have received Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf’s approval for the deal with Canmex.

Furthermore, reports indicate that there is a possibility President Adde Muse will make a brief trip to Perth, Australia, to participate at an event marking Range’s takeover of Consort Private, the first company President Adde signed the “Puntland Agreement†with.

Sophist   

Although I support the development of our state and the whole of Somalia, the shday deals done secretly by Ade and co will only benefit his close relatives (in Puntland, it is an open secret that both the president and Vice president favour their sub sub clan; giving contracts and even given the scholarships to those who are close to them by blood and not by merit)! Is that what we want from Puntland and TFG?

Sophist   

Cadde oo safar qarsoodi ah ugu ambabaxay Malaysia

17 Oct 17, 2006, 12:41

Warar ka soo baxaya magaalada Dubai ayaa sheegaya in Madaxwaynaha DGPL Maxamud Muse Xirsi "Cadde" uu safar qarsoodi ah ugu ambabaxey wadanka Malaysia isaga oo halkaa kula kulmi doona ninka dhowaan loo magacaabay wasiirka Batroolka DFKMG ah C/laahi Yusuf Maxamed "Xaraare"

Cabdulahi Yusuf Maxamad oo ah ganacsade ka baayac-mushtara lacagaha Faalsada ah isla markaana ah dulaal maraakiibta badda Jiraafta ayaa waxa dhalay wasiirkii hore ee Batroolka Yusuf Maxamad Xaraare oo ku geryooday wadanka Australia.

Safarkan qarsoodiga ah ee Cadde Muse ugu ambabaxey wadanka Malaysia ayaa la xiriira sidii uu Wasiirka Batroolka DFKMG ah uga soo raaridi lahaa ogolaanshaha heshiis dhowaan la sheegey in ay kala sixiixdeen shirkadaha Range Resources iyo Canmex.

Shirkada Range Resources ayaa sheegtay in ay haysato oglaanshaha DFKMG ah gaar ahaan Madaxwayne Cabdulahi Yusuf.

Wararka ayaa intaa ku daraya in Madaxawayne cadde Muse ay suurtagal tahay in uu safar ku tago Australia gaar ahaan magaalada Perth oo ku taal galbeedka wadanka Australia.

Perth ayaa waxa ka dhacaya kulankii sanad-laha ahaa" AGM " ee saamileyda shirkada Range Resources iyada oo la filayo in kulnkaa ay Range Resources ay gabi ahaanba gadato shirkada Consort oo ay saamilay ka yihiin Madaxda Sar-sare ee DGPL Puntland taas oo ay horay u baahiyeen jaraa'idka wadanka Australia ka soo baxa.

Dhinaca kale warar Garowe Online ka heshey ilo wargal ah ayaa sheegaya in Madaxawnaha DGPL Cadde Muse uu maalmahii la soo dhaafey uu galey qaliin xagga wadnaha ah "Heart Baybas" kaas oo ku dhamaadey guul.

Madaxwaynaha DGPL iyo wasiirkiisa Maaliyada Mr.Gaa-gaab oo maalmahaan ku sugnaa wadanka Imraadka Carabta ayaa dadaal ugu jira sidii ay u xaraashi lahaayeen khayraadka iyo hantidii dadwaynaha kuwaas oo ay heshiisyo kula galayaan dulaaley aan aheyn shirakado dhab ah.

Wasiirka Maaliyada oo dhowaan dib ugu noqdey Puntalnd ayaa saxaafada u sheegey in ay heshiis la soo galeen shirkado dhisa dakada Bosaso iyo mid lagu sheegey in ay ku taal Garcad.

Heshiisyada lala galayo shirkadahan dulaaleyda ah ayaa waxa lagu qataa lacago aan marnaba galin khasnada Dowlada isla markaana aan lagala xisaabtamin xubnahan madaama aysan shaqeyn hay'dahii ku shaqo lahaa.

Ms DD   

Salaam

I think this calls time for action. This deal stinks of corruption and requires further investigation. My economic professor fave statement was "Fighting corruption should focus less on individual moral attitudes or penalties and more on methods to destabilize corrupt relationships."

Ever since this stinking of a deal came into my attention, I did a little research. Sawir baa ii sawirmay of what Somalia would be like in 10-25yrs time. In Nigeria has received more than $300 billion in oil revenues over the last 25 years, yet it has a per capita income of less than $1 a day. Ethnic rivalries over the distribution of oil revenue there have cost the lives of thousands.

An old report by Catholic Relief Services showed that countries like Gabon, Angola and Nigeria, which discovered oil several decades ago, had fared worse when it came to economic growth and poverty reduction than many African countries without oil.

Human rights organisation discovered that millions of dollars handed to Presidents of these corrupt regimes in their Swiss accounts.

In dealings with Equatorial Guinea, the Los Angeles Times reported, U.S. oil companies deposited more than $300 million into bank accounts in Washington solely controlled by the country's president. Can we find out how much is in the accounts of A Yusuf or Cade Muse?

What practical steps can we take in order to prevent this deal ever going forward? I am to Puntland in a few weeks time. Not sure whether i will have the freedom to express my concern and i am not too sure of how they receive women in their circles. Perhaps causing a stink would do the trick and then risk of going to jail smile.gif .

Any suggestions?

NASSIR   

If they could have known the intricacies of these firms and their activities or how they make money, we won't have rushed into shady deals like that. The fact of the matter is most of our people don't read beyond Somali News headlines. We need educated groups of Finance and Law to embark on a program to educate the folks the intricacies of these firms and their historical operations, the nature of their operations, aspects of theories they employ in initiating venture capital, principle-agent relationship and how that might lead to a greed and self-aggrandizement while being indifferent to the society at large and environment.

Good luck Sophist and Might you help your people.

Taleexi   

Originally posted by Caamir:

If they could have known the intricacies of these firms and their activities or how they make money, we won't have rushed into shady deals like that. The fact of the matter is most of our people don't read beyond Somali News headlines. We need educated groups of Finance and Law to embark on a program to educate the folks the intricacies of these firms and their historical operations, the nature of their operations, aspects of theories they employ in initiating venture capital, principle-agent relationship and how that might lead to a greed and self-aggrandizement while being indifferent to the society at large and environment.

Good luck Sophist and Might you help your people.

Mr. Caamir, as others indicated this saga has almost had its course but one of the ways that we can avert not to make on its last revolution, is to expose in Somali the lack of expertise of those companies' capabilities of oil exploration and the flaws of the contract. The funny thing about this deal is that they call it "joint-venture", and after I've done some research I realized this is a complete investment except xaqul shaaha loo tuuray President Adde and his VP.

As we are the men of this moment, we can't let that happen to our region unless this contractual agreement revised. Experienced Somali intellectuals must represent on our behalf in those talks.

Why rush to this now, beyond believe, for those of you who are heading home good luck, and Allaikum bitaqwa'llaah

Sophist   

Why because those involved will be richer beyong their wild dreams (couple million is something unheard of to them and they will be easily satiable.

Caamir I can not do this by myself. I am getting couple of experts in the industry to look at this and shall put together a dossier soon insha Allah. We all have a moral duty to protect our people and land. And you know what they won't be able to accuse me of being hostile to the "developmen" of Puntland as I am one of "it's sons".

Sky   

It's a given fact that the Puntland administration is corrupt to the core. The secretive, amateurish and corrupt handling of these affairs by the Puntland administration is a crystal clear indication of how the revenues will be managed in the future.

Cadde turned out to be even worse than Yeey. Yeey was surrounded by thieves, whereas Cadde is the thief itself.

I wish you good luck brother Sophist. You're a noble man in my book.

Sophist   

Sky thanks for the kind words; but brother, I can not do this by myself.

I know alot of people here have their negative agenda but are wailing now in the name of Somalia; we should differentiate that from those who see this as what it is A CRIME AGAINST OUR COLLECTIVE GOOD which ammounts to the biggest crime in our society. This might lead to other detrimental things.

We need to stand together, forge a pressure group that sheds light to this sheer theft; or we shall be poorer of it walahi.

Nabad.

^Why can't you present this issue to the Islamic Courts so that they can make a fuzz and such companies will run away as they hear the serious threats of the Islamic Courts of Somalia.

I think that would make a negative PR Campaign against Cadde Muuse and would hopefully cast away those foreign theives and contractors who are bidding on the exploitations of our homeland.

Sophist   

Brother fil Aqeedah, since you are well placed in that clique perhaps you might be better person to advance this cause. Would you want to take up this duty and discharge it without fail.

I am for anything that is constructive and Islamic towards the many positive causes for our people and country.

Waan kugu caawin karaa inaan kugu xiro dad Maxaakimta ku xiran oo si toos ah kuula shaqeyn karo, arintaasna u lobby-gareen karo, insha-Allah.

Marka adiga soo diyaar garoow walaal.

^^Clearly this project of finding the truth of this matter and raising the awareness of Puntlanders about it is a noble project. It’s my belief that the current leadership in that region is corrupt and incompetent. What we need most yaa sophist is to replace these men for good. It’s doable bro! What does it take to organize a political movement comprised good men both in and outside of Puntland that could throw these incompetent leadership out of office for good?

Since you are going soon to Puntland, noo sahami yaa sophist. We will count on you!