Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Muslim Americans say they will flex political muscle in 2004

Baashi   

Plz vote if u have that privilage.

-----------------------------------------------

NEW YORK -- Nizar Yaghi hasn't decided for whom he'll vote on Election Day, but one thing is certain _ the Muslim American will cast his ballot this November.

"After Sept. 11, I understood that Muslim Americans need to come out and present themselves to the Americans," said Yaghi, a 28-year-old engineer from Schenectady, N.Y. "One way to do this is through the political process."

With the 2004 presidential election approaching, people like Yaghi are stepping up efforts to encourage their fellow Muslims to register to vote and to convince the presidential candidates that they need to be accountable to the Muslim American community, which numbers up to 7 million, according to estimates.

Although Muslim groups say there are only about 4.2 million eligible Muslim voters out of 200 million eligible voters overall, they believe these voters could have considerable influence on the November election.

"We believe this election will be a very tight one and small communities can play a major role, particularly in battleground states such as Michigan, Ohio and Florida, where a majority of Muslims live," Omar Ahmad, national chairman of the Council on American Islamic Relations, said at a news conference on Saturday.

Ahmad's group is one of several that belong to the American Muslim Taskforce on Civil Rights and Elections, an umbrella organization that aims to register 1 million Muslims to vote and to educate Muslims about the presidential candidates' positions.

Agha Saeed, the chairman of the task force, said his group hasn't decided which presidential candidate it will endorse, but he said it would weigh the candidates' positions on civil rights issues, the economy, crime prevention and education.

"We are going to hold town hall meetings all over the United States for the community and for the candidates to engage in a dialogue where we bring ourselves up to speed on these issues and create common cause with fellow Americans," Saeed said.

Muslim leaders made their first unified endorsement in a presidential race in 2000, backing George W. Bush. Many thought he would take a harder line against Israel and, based on statements he made while campaigning, would protect the rights of immigrants facing deportation.

Many Muslims said they have been disappointed on both counts. They also have objected to the USA Patriot Act, which gave the government broad powers to monitor citizens after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

A spokesman for the Bush re-election campaign, Scott Stanzel, said the president would work to maintain the support of the Muslim community by appealing to its beliefs in "strong family, opportunity and the ability to achieve the American dream."

A spokesman for Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry could not be reached by telephone for comment.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

LANDER   

This is a joke right?

Are my muslim brethren in the US naive to the point where they believe their vote can make a significant impact? Beyond the demographics, it is obvious the "republican" and "democractic" parties are not too different in terms of their political obligation to uphold and protect american/zionist hegemony worldwide. Politically acute americans know very well that no american president would dare endanger what they like to call the "special" relationship with Israel. They can bark all they want during the campaign trail we know things change once they get to the white house. I really do hope for the sake of those muslims that John Kerry prooves me wrong.

Baashi   

^

It is far-fetched excuse not to vote or not to get organized politically because we are insignificant minority or the odds against us is humongous. I agree with you that the prospect of changing American foreign policy is not very good given the unparalleled influence special interests have over the elite senior policy makers.

We have to vote in order to tip the balance in favor of those who are willing to listen to our concerns. Besides the local and state level is where real politics are fought and precisely there is where we can make the difference.

Vote plz!

king_450   

Bashi true, that some of us has the power to change the presidencey in this country,but i don't feel the muslim society are upto their interest,reason being ,i remember last vote , most of the muslim society were against Gore just because his running mate we know who he is, and i was telling them all along that it is the president who makes the decision in this country not the VP, but they never listen and most of them voted non other then BUSH,just becuase of that, i am determined to give my valuable vote to Mr Bush to punish those hard headed muslims in Michigan, i want once for all that all muslims feel the end of bush bluff, let him bring peace to the arab world as he said, and i want next time around ppl to use their head seriously. My vote goes to "Bush" hate it or love it i see him win this coming election.!

Liqaye   

Apart from the fact that there is really no particular diffrence between the two american parties, and most of the diffrence is over method rather than substance, I thought it would be obvious by now that the Jews influence american foreign policy through economic means and a well oiled propoganda and lobbying campaign, it has nothing to do with the ballot box indeed, man to man the muslim population in america is higher than those that would mark jew in any census report.

asalamu alaykum,

I agree with Lander, it's naive to think that by voting we will be influencing american foreign policy especially towards the Muslims. It is also naive to think that american foreign policy changes direction every election, as someone else pointed out, it doesn't matter who is in office their goals and ambitions remain the same - world domination!

Believe it or not America didn't get to be the super power it is today by yeilding to the pressures of lobby groups. They dont support Israel bc the jews are more politically organzied and lobby more efficiently they support israel bc America has a great interest in the middle east and the existence of Israel legitimizes their presence in the region. It has no interest what so ever in resolving the so called israeli-palestinian conflict. The sooner we realize this the better.

As for Iraq, Kerry was asked if he intended to pull the US troops out and his response was as soon as we establish a stable gov'd (i.e. another puppet regime who will bow to our wishes). Which is exactly what they wanted to do all along.

We will not change the situation of the ummah by voting. Our situation will only change when we go back to Islam, establish the rule of Allah and unite under the banner of Islam behind the amirul-mumineen like we were ordered to do. Until then we will continue to be expolited by ppl who never once dreamed they were our equal let alone our superior.

May Allah guide us!

salaam

Warmoog   

Originally posted by king_450:

i am determined to give my valuable vote to Mr Bush to punish those hard headed muslims in Michigan

What the... :confused:

Let me get the straight, you're going vote for Bush because you want him to 'punish' Muslims? And you're going be spared the 'punishment' because you're a good flag-waving American Muslim (in that order), right? Wow, you're one smart fellow... keep waving that flag.

There is a saying which roughly translates to 'wisdom doesn't come overnight'. Evidently, some of us are still waiting.

Baashi   

Presidential hopefull Kerry was asked whether Isreal can count on his support right after speech given to the American Society of Newspaper Editors (ASNE)...The reporter also asked him about the Bush/Sharon's new understanding on the question of settlement and the right of return.

His answer: Yes they can count on his support. Yes he agrees Bush on these 2 points. Not only he will support them, he said, he supports the wall barrier Isreal is building.

Damn! them all.

Lander, C_M, Liqaye have a point but I'm still going to vote this election for Kerry. Bush is no no for me. redface.gif @King

Baashi   

Politics and American Muslims

7/15/2004 - Political Opinion - Article Ref: IV0407-2384

Number of comments: 6

Opinion Summary: Agree:1 Disagree:1 Neutral:4

By: Dr. Nazir Khaja

Iviews* -

The American Muslim community has yet to develop a focus or strategy that will help it gain a voice within the American political system. 9/11 and a rapidly changing America has created an enormous challenge for which the community is not prepared. Its institutions are in disarray; its leadership is uninformed and most of the community comprising of immigrants is culture bound and confused. As presidential elections approach, the community once again faces the question: which candidate to vote for? In the last presidential elections, the American Muslim leadership and major Muslim organizations - much to the annoyance of the Afro-America Muslim community - urged their community to vote for President Bush.

A recent poll conducted by CAIR, a Muslim watchdog group, indicates that Senator John Kerry is the preferred choice this time. He seems to have the endorsement of most major American Muslim organizations and individuals.

Most American Muslims, specially the immigrants among them who constitute a majority of the 6-7 million Muslims in this country, view the entire political spectrum through the prism of the Middle East conflict. Candidate Bush was favored during last elections because he did not return checks from the Arab American supporters and gave lip service to the Palestinians in one of the pre-election statements. The Democrat candidate kept clear of Arab-Americans and American Muslims.

It is interesting that even though Senator John Kerry's position on the Israeli-Palestinian issue is similar to that of the present administration, American Muslims prefer John Kerry. An explanation could be that the present administration's involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq, besides the Palestinian issue, must weigh heavily against Republicans. The American Muslim communityÕs inclination to go for John Kerry illustrates the reactive, polarized state that forms the basis of American Muslim decisions. It also reflects the state of confusion in the community caused by a failure in the development of leadership and institutions which are not able to see beyond the events of the Middle East. The problems that America and the global community face in a post 9/11 world have neither been analyzed outside the perspective of the Middle East, nor are they understood properly at the institutional level.

The processes of building strong institutions that could serve the greater interest of the community besides contributing to the benefit of the society at large remain unattended. These processes are not within the realm of experience of most of the American Muslim leadership; consequently the formulation and framing of ideas and discourse remains fragmented, rudimentary, and reactive.

In the broad perspective of what is good for American Muslims, America and the world, American Muslims may be right in voting against President Bush. However, they must spell out what they stand for and make what they stand for the basis of their decisions, not what they are against.

In the wake of the Patriot act and other initiatives of the present administration that are insidiously and steadily encroaching on the civil liberties of all Americans including themselves, it should not be difficult for American Muslims to recognize that four more years of Bush will change the delicate balance within the Supreme Court. If there is any reason to vote for the democratic candidate, this must surely be the one. It is time that American Muslims direct their efforts toward processes of analysis, consensus building, and working for common cause instead of just reacting.

Dr. Nazir Khaja is a Pakistani American. He is Chairman of Islamic Information Service that produces weekly Islamic programs for television. He practices and teaches Medicine. He is also active in inter-faith dialogues and activities related to Peace, Justice and Mutual Tolerance.

Every vote counts.

If muslims formed a voting bloc......that could sway the election either way.

I don't know what some muslims can't understand about that.

Baashi   

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:

Every vote counts.

If muslims formed a voting bloc......that could sway the election either way.

Right on!

Get ready to vote nomads! If you haven't yet registered to vote, there still time ti register. Vote for something! it will empower us in pressuring the candidates to attend our concerns. Believe me they have way of getting the stats of who voted for who.

Baashi   

Nomads PLZ cast your votes tomorrow - if you have the privilege that is. If you are not registered voter in your precinct, you can still vote provided you have your ID handy and something that confirms your place of residence e.g. utility bill.

Unlike the Somali presidential election in Nairobi, you have a say here - why don’t we exercise this privilege and enjoy the feeling of being among those who kicked Bush out of the oval office.

VOTE!

Baashi   

Rahima,

I’m thinking the nomad ingenuity will save the day tomorrow :D Tomorrow will be the day. Can't wait for Peter Jenning to announce: Kerry won the election, ABC is calling for Kerry win :D

Rahima   

Wishful thinking eh Bashi ;) ?

How many nomads who are eligible to vote are there? At least here it’s much easier to get your citizenship and hence have a chance to vote (not to mention its compulsory), yet still we couldn’t boot out the old bugger.

At least in our seat of Melbourne though, Lindsay Tanner a Labour MP kept his seat, alxamdullilah- the man is very good to Somalis and Muslims in general.

How is the media in the US? Biased like they are here I’m sure. Except for two channels (SBS and ABC), I believe all the others here are backing Bush especially channel 9- no surprise there, it is after all owned by our own resident Jewish entrepreneur Rupert Murdoch.

Nevertheless, let’s hope he is given his send off, if anything the man is an embarrassment to the US (which might be a good thing though smile.gif ).