Sign in to follow this  
Nationalist

PAX SOMALA

I took the liberty to derive Pax Somala from the famous words Pax Romana. Pax Romana is latin for Roman Peace, but it's not just peace. It's peace that has followed after a warlord comes out of a civil war as the winner. That warlord than brings peace, for he is the victor of the civil war. So in other words it's peace that has been acquired after a bloody civil war. I'm interested if there's a Pax Somala possible for our nation.

cabd.jpg

Will the president of Somalia bring us Pax Somala?

The comparison between Emperor Augustus Octavianus and President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed is flabbergasting to say the least. Augustus is the victor I was talking about earlier on. He was one of the warlords vying for power and gradually defeated his rival warlords, till he reached Rome and was chosen by the Roman senate to become the new dictator of the Roman Empire strengthened with the holy position of Pontifex Maximus. The latter is now the official title of the Roman Catholic pope. Augustus also hailed from the same extended family of Julius Ceasar, the last dicator before the Roman empire plunged into devastating civil war. Many people mistake Julius of being an emperor, as in matter of fact he was only a dicator.

Augustus, since his inception as ruler of Rome, has ruled the empire with an iron fist and much wisdom. The senate agreed to have a dicator, because of the dire need of a strong man. He always was very reserved of calling himself an emperor, wich he actually was in reality. The difference was that an emperor is believed to be a half-God by the Romans, while a dicator is not. Even though, he never was an emperor, he's seen as the father of all Roman emperors and the warlord who has revived the glory of Rome.

I believe it's crystal clear, that the comparisons between Augustus and Abdullahi are many. Still, we don't live in the times Nebi Isse CS was born in a barn when Augustus was crowned dicator nor are we Somalis Romans. By that I mean, the political situation in Somalia is much more complex than the ancient Rome. Abdullahi Yusuf is now the president of Somalia and as Somalis, we are all hoping this man will bring peace and stability back to the wartorn nation. There are elements within the Somali people present whom believe Abdullahi Yusuf's government will be like Arta, a monster born in Djibouti and wich had only wrecked more havoc in Somalia.

I would disagree with those elements for the simple fact that Abdullahi Yusuf unlike Abdiqasim Salad controls 1/3 of Somalia's landmass and approximately 1/4 of Somalia's population. Abdullahi Yusuf also has loyal allies whom control large areas in the South and the capital city; Mogadishu. Besides Puntland regions of Sool, Haylan, Bareda, Karkar, Ayn, Nugaal and Upper Mudug. Hiran, Upper Shabelle, Bay, Bakol and pocket areas in Mogadishu are also accepting Abdullahi Yusuf as president without any preconditions. The rest of Somalia is willing but careful and some are downright negative towards the new president. These elements have been betting on Addow to win. Think about Somaliland regions, Lower Shabelle, pocket areas of Mogadishu and Lower Jubba. As you might have guessed it, these regions will be a challenge for Abdullahi Yusuf if he doesn't resort to military solutions. But since he declared in his election campaign to disarm militias by force and Somaliland's seccesion is unacceptable, these groups have an ugly problem in their hands.

Second, Abdullahi Yusuf will be enjoying the coming 5 years, if not more, the luxury of legitimacy. The international community has been witness to the fair and square elections that he'd won. Though recognition will not benefit him very much, he'll need funding and bilateral support to accomplish his difficult mission. These two aspects have allready been promised to him and were promised when the Mbagathi conference was still at it's infancy. If you'd like it more blunt, we're talking about billions of US Dollars. Of course the international community have learned from their mistakes not to give that huge amount of money, especially not if the country you're dealing with is Somalia. But either way even if Abdullahi Yusuf misbehaves in his first years as president, many countries will be forced to allocate vast amounts of money eventually.

If you ask me the Somalis hoping for Abdullahi Yusuf to bring peace and unity in Somalia have more chance of their dream coming true than those whom thrive under absence of authority; thugs and less dangerous; seccesionists. Those two have a serious problem on their hands if they'll continue their charade. Hopefully our grandchildren or may I be less humble, in our lifetime, we'll be reaping the fruits of a Pax Somala. We all know how Rome flourished after Pax Romana, there situation looked as hopeless as ours. Who knows, we'll be in the position one day liberating our brothers occupied by our neighbours like the Romans expanded to world's ends.

Guul iyo Jano to all!

Nationalist

* My post-election analysis is to be continued. "Yusuf's effect on Puntland" will follow some time within a week. It will be interesting to know how former president of Puntland fared in his own turf before he starts with the whole nation coming years.

NGONGE   

Heh. Love you amateurish propaganda, saaxib. :D

I’m not sure of what similarities you speak. One is an old man and the other was only 18 years old when he inherited Caesar’s army. One got his mandate at the negotiating table and the other fought the killers of Caesar one by one and then fought his “adopted†cousin Marc Anthony to finally have total power of the Roman Republic. One was adopted by arguably the greatest military leader of all time and the other was the president of Puntland.

You really can’t compare the two men at all. Search your history books and see if you can find someone else who’s more comparable to the new president (How does Richard The Lion Heart strike you? ;) )

Still, your wish is a great one. Lets hope they’re similar in peace. Paxa Romana lasted more than a hundred years.

NGONGE, amateurish? how so mate? I wrote this in 15 minutes, you can't expect me to bring a brilliant piece of work like Fareed Zakaria of Newsweek.

Anyway, I acknowledge the differences between the two. I was focusing on the similarities between the two for the good of a lot of people who'll read this and believe their country is in the deepest mess anyone has ever encountered. This was no propaganda by comparing him with Augustus, no surely not so mate! I was merely bringing the possibility to light that he could become Somalia's Augustus and bring Pax Somala. I never said he IS Augustus.

So calm down mate, no need to get a little bit feisty. If my view on seccesionists disturbed you, just say so.

NGONGE   

Heh. It didn’t disturb me at all, saaxib. Like I said, I loved your work. It was a refreshing change from the ordinary political analysis we’re used to. Still, it was amateurish propaganda (why deny it?); nonetheless, it was pretty impressive for a 15-minute job. Well done. :D

:D NGONGE, I must admit, I can't argue with you there mate. I read it another time and now I can see why it's so amateurish. Believe me, as long as you don't call me journalist of the mafrish mansions, it's all good!

NGONGE   

Haye, haye..waa kaalay ela moran meya?

war edinko nabi moxamad meel walba meyad la gashan?

I wouldn’t want to fall into this trap and explain that our noble prophet was much more than a military leader, saaxib. Nevertheless, what I’ll try to point out to you is the beauty of one single word! The word I’m talking about is “arguablyâ€. Memorise it, use it and whenever you’re faced with it in the future, know what the writer means by it. Glad to have been of service.

PS

The History of the Roman Empire is unlikely to be taught in any philosophy classes, saaxib. I’m not an expert on this but if I had to guess, I would think that in all probabilities it might be, just might be, taught in the history section. Don’t take my word for it though. :rolleyes:

Nugaali

our nabi scw was much more than a millitary leader.

The greatest commander in Islam was Khalid bin Waleed and his tactics and organization were copied by all the other muslim commaders.

and Nationalist Rome has little to do with Somalia.

If you like history i would advize you to look at Ghengiz Khan and how he united the Monghols and tartars.

Mongol society before Ghangiz khan looked allot like Somalia, with evey clan and sub clan in conflict.

sometimes i wonder if we all got the wrong education in west! now, i dont see any relations between a eurpean empire and our situation back home!

look may be u ce cy as a roman empire, but i dont

and i differ that on you!

civil strifes that r occuring in africa are so day nite different that roman empire conquests!

try to look closer to home when analyzing this problem. so many african countries r going true similar problems like us!