Sign in to follow this  
Castro

Fierce fighting in Somali capital

Castro   

Insurgents and Ethiopia-backed Somali government troops have exchanged heavy artillery fire in Mogadishu.

Both sides claimed to have won the battle, fought with mortars and rocket-propelled grenades, inflicting high casualties on the other.

Witnesses in the capital say at least four civilians were killed when a mortar hit their house.

Years of conflict and drought have left more than half of Somalia's population needing food aid.

But aid workers have also been targeted recently and pirates have made it difficult to deliver food aid to the country.

The BBC's Mohammed Olad Hassan in Mogadishu says the clashes began when Islamist insurgents attacked a government base.

An Islamist spokesman told the BBC that more than 10 Ethiopian and government troops had been killed.

He admitted that two Islamists had been killed.

An army colonel said 21 insurgents had been killed and an armed truck captured but did not give his own side's casualty figures.

There is no independent report of the casualties.

A ceasefire was signed last month between the government and one Islamist leader but the violence has continued.

Ethiopia sent troops into Somalia in 2006 to help government forces oust Islamists who had taken control of Mogadishu and much of southern Somalia.

BBC

Originally posted by Castro:

I guess that means Djibouti agreement is on track. :rolleyes:

Djibouti agreement is dead, Nur Cade is on his way out. military solution is the only way now.

Castro,there is your answer from the Duke. He will be using those 4000 new recruits to finish these "clan clowns" as he calls them.

NGONGE   

Xiin,

War raggan ka hadh. All they want is war and fighting, saaxib. Come to Somaliland and I shall tell anyone who asks that you are my half brother. :D

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Xiin,

War raggan ka hadh. All they want is war and fighting, saaxib. Come to Somaliland and I shall tell anyone who asks that you are my half brother.
:D

^^ :D:D

That is a good one, yaa NG!

I have no doubt in my mind one day I will benefit SL's stablity and security...i have narrowed my second wife search to Hargeysawis...there is precedent in the family too :D . But any help would be a plus saaxiib...

NG,

Instead of inviting Xiin, why don't you invite yourself over there and see how long you will last? You will come back more confused and homesick?

Duke,

You are wrong about this, there is no miliary solution after one more than one year of fighting. Somalis need long term stratgy to solve our internal problms and peace is the only way to achieve.

We do not need more young men to die in this unecessary war.

Castro,there is your answer from the Duke. He will be using those 4000 new recruits to finish these "clan clowns" as he calls them.

lool Farax you only want war adeer, and we will be using more than the 4000 saxib. Just wait.

Bokero   

Barbarian at the gate..

No side has an ounce of legitimacy... i really don’t know what they are fighting for? apart from maiming and killing Somalis women, and children….

We truly suffer from Poverty of vision and leadership, spiced with a culture in crises….

Originally posted by General Duke:

quote: Castro,there is your answer from the Duke. He will be using those 4000 new recruits to finish these "clan clowns" as he calls them.

lool Farax you only want war adeer, and we will be using more than the 4000 saxib. Just wait.
What else could they really do? They have killed all they can/

^^^lool. Adeer your a limited by your undertsanding of the situation.

7000 troops are just a new batch of the national army. There will be more security forces coming and Somalias security will improve.

You was thinking the TFG was on its last leg and then hey 7000 new troops while the opposition have gangs taking over resturents in villages.