Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

The Government is in 'XAMAR'

Thousands Welcome New Somalia Government

ALEXANDRA ZAVIS

Associated Press

MOGADISHU, Somalia - Thousands of flag-waving Somalis lined the streets of this war-scarred city Sunday to welcome representatives of a new government formed in neighboring Kenya in a bid to end 14 years of anarchy in this Horn of Africa nation.

Shariif Hassan Sheikh Aden, who heads a 275-member transitional parliament, and a delegation of 60 lawmakers and Cabinet ministers landed at an airstrip run by one of Mogadishu's main warlords. The group will assess conditions for the government's relocation from Nairobi, Kenya, where it operates because many of its members consider Mogadishu too dangerous.

About 30 lawmakers arrived last week to prepare for the visit.

Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi also is expected to arrive in coming days. But President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, a northerner viewed with suspicion in the former capital, has not said when he will return.

Clan elders, faction leaders, businessmen and other civil society representatives gave the delegation a warm welcome with much hugging and backslapping. A police band played the national anthem and aging military officers formed an honor guard.

Leaders of the city's Islamic courts, seeking to establish their influence in the absence of a national authority, declined to attend, saying they could only support a government founded on Islamic law.

The delegation drove through town in a large convoy past thousands of cheering, clapping Somalis waving flowers, flags and branches with green leaves. The scores of vehicles included pickup trucks full of armed militia fighters.

The convoy stopped at a square crowded with more than 10,000 people so the delegation could exchange greetings with them.

Ali Abdallah Mohamed, who fled fighting in central Somalia, brought his seven children to watch the convoy go by.

"Since my children were born, they have never seen a government," he said, smiling.

Somalia has had no central government since 1991, when opposition leaders ousted dictator Mohamed Siad Barre. They then turned on each other, carving the nation of 7 million people and its former capital into a patchwork of heavily armed clan-based fiefdoms.

A new government was formed last year after complex negotiations between warlords, clan elders and civil society leaders. But members already are divided over whether international peacekeepers are needed to secure their return to Somalia and which city to base themselves in.

The government has no budget, no civil service or even buildings to meet in here.

On Saturday, the Cabinet approved a presidential request for African Union troops to help disarm rival militias, rebuild national security forces and protect his government.

But the request angered many in Mogadishu, where the deployment of American and United Nations troops in the 1990s sparked some of the worst fighting of the war.

Osman Hassan Ali Atto, a warlord-turned-Cabinet minister, was quoted on local radio Saturday as saying Mogadishu residents would never accept a return of foreign troops. Some Islamic militants have threatened to attack any foreign troops that come here.

But others fear the major factions will not disarm among themselves.

The African Union has agreed to send a force, but officials privately say it will be limited in size and scope. Uganda has promised 2,000 troops.

Ethiopia, Djibouti, Kenya and Sudan also have pledged to support the peace mission.

MPs Return to Somalia, Cabinet Backs Peace Force

By Mohamed Ali Bile

MOGADISHU (Reuters) - The Somali government took a fresh step toward establishing itself on home soil on Sunday when a second team of officials including a senior minister flew from Kenya to Mogadishu to assess security in the failed state.

Five thousand Somalis who had waited six hours cheered when 50 MPs including the speaker of parliament and the national security minister entered a Mogadishu stadium, the second team of MPs to arrive in a week to ready the government's return.

"We did not expect such huge numbers of people," a delighted Sharif Hassan Sheikh Adan, speaker of a 275-member assembly formed at peace talks in neighboring Kenya, told the crowd.

"This encourages us that Somalis want peace and government. It was not true when people said Somalis refuse to be governed."

"The government should come to Mogadishu. They are welcome," read banners waved by ululating women as traditional dancers bowed and leapt. Similar scenes had greeted a team of lawmakers who returned home on Thursday.

Many of the MPs are expected to return to Kenya later this week to report on security conditions to Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf and Prime Minister Mohamed Ali Gedi.

Created at peace talks across the border because of security problems at home, their transitional federal government aims to end fighting between militias who have ruled Somalia since warlords ousted military ruler Mohammed Siad Barre in 1991.

Diplomats say the re-establishment of the government in Somalia is a key condition for foreign donor funding for its attempts to rebuild an effective national administration.

The cabinet on Saturday backed a plan for the deployment of up to 7,500 foreign peacekeepers drawn from members of the African Union and Arab League and will submit its decision to the parliament for final approval, a minister said.

"The concept of the Peace Support Mission will be to assist the government in peace-making and protecting assets of the government such as the port, airport and other sensitive sites," information minister Mohamud Ali Jama told Reuters.

The mission might also have a training and peace monitoring role. The expanded cabinet sitting, including ministers of state and deputy ministers, voted for the plan by 63-9, he said.

The government is Somalia's 14th attempt at creating an effective central administration since 1991 -- to date an effort that has been repeatedly torpedoed by warlords who carved the country of about 10 million into clan-based fiefdoms.

The topic of foreign peacekeepers is controversial in Mogadishu. Unidentified gunmen have carried out a string of recent murders of security or education experts, killings widely seen as signs of opposition from a determined minority to Yusuf and his plan to bring in foreign troops.

Among Sunday's delegation was National Security Minister Mohamed Qanyare Afrah who told the crowd: "All these thousands of people want international African forces to come to Somalia."

Qanyare is one of several powerful Mogadishu faction leaders serving in the cabinet who will be required to disarm their militias as the new government strives to rebuild a national security force with the backing of foreign peacekeepers.

Somali intellectual Ahmad Warsame, reflecting widespread suspicion of neighbor Ethiopia, told Reuters: "African forces should come here. They are welcome. But not Ethiopians."

Somalis resent what they see as attempts by Ethiopia to dominate the Horn of Africa and install a client regime in Mogadishu. Ethiopia, a historic competitor of its Muslim neighbors, is wary of overt Islamist influence in the region.

Gabbal   

But the request angered many in Mogadishu, where the deployment of American and United Nations troops in the 1990s sparked some of the worst fighting of the war.

Osman Hassan Ali Atto, a warlord-turned-Cabinet minister, was quoted on local radio Saturday as saying Mogadishu residents would never accept a return of foreign troops. Some Islamic militants have threatened to attack any foreign troops that come here.

A point that cannot be overlooked.

I, personally, am against bringing any foreign troops in Somalia. I don't believe people will react positively to their bringing, that's if the "donor" countries even have the galls to send soldiers! :D

Jumatatu   

^^ Dont worry ugaas the scenario of Mogadishu today will completely undermine the call for foreign troops. Lets just pray it is not a one-of situation and that the people of Mogadishu will be sane and wise enough to fulfill the demands of these delegation which if they do will certainly settle the haggle amid the 'top-dogs' of the federal government in the introduction of foreign troops.

Bottom line if law and order cannot be restored in Mogadishu the aye's for the introduction of foreign troops will have the upper hand, and on the contrary if the Speaker and his delegaton offers and demand are met in Mogadishu over the next four days then President Yeey will have to come and sit at his helm in Wardhigley.

The only set back in here will be that I have to arrange Visa for Duke, BN & company..

36_2_35.gif

Gabbal   

The only set back in here will be that I have to arrange Visa for Duke, BN & company..

What distinguishes HornAfrique from Duke, BN & company? icon_razz.gif

I say arrange my visa too :D

p.s. What's with the "Ugaas" sxb, cough it up man..what do you know about me?

BN   
I agree with the Ugaas. Get started making those visas for all us 'expellees'.... :D

holla homie if see c/y in the building!! lol.. then plz run away from that building as far legs carry u away!! lol...!

dreams only come true in disneyland!! lol... we talking about good ole xamar right!! then, hey, spare me the wet-dream!! lol... we all know whats gonna happen when the dude shows up!! hell is gonna freeze!! :confused:

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

What distinguishes HornAfrique from Duke, BN & company?

Common ugaas u cant be serious..! Ofcourse the title 'ugaas' is one factor,but not the main.. smile.gif

wind.talker:

I can picture now: "The Return of the Expellees" - sounds like a Broadway play.

I hope it is more realistic rather than play sxb.. smile.gif

rudy :

we all know whats gonna happen when the dude shows up!! hell is gonna freeze!!

Legends from Puntland have that he brings sunshine and smile where he reigns...

36_2_27.gif

Sky   

jumatatu, bari nomad and duke valentino. I must admit, these pictures made me emotional. all i can say is woow

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Ambassador:

I must admit, these pictures made me emotional. all i can say is woow

And say it boy...say it out loud.. cause it is your day....

36_2_37.gif

Sky   

so you dont see it as your day. what a shame. somali patriotism is a great fruit, you should taste it.

but you mean that i am glad that the expellers aka puntlanders are welcomed to muqdisho? like col. jaamac cali jaamac and maxamed cabdi yuusuf:

maxed.jpg

jaamac.jpg

and maybe even this dude right here, the most puntlanderish of the puntlanders. the worst expelled of the expellees. the least welcome of the unwelcome?

oday%20cabdulahi.jpg