Sign in to follow this  
WILDCAT

A woman wearing MACAWIIS

WILDCAT   

I happen to wear one for comfort and because I love the colours - not your run-of-the-mill macawiis tones and design... it's quite lovely, particularly high quality material.

I wear this in the comfort of my own home, and wrap it how the guys might wrap it... tying a knot in order to feminise it would look silly and defeat the novelty aspect of why I'm wearing it, so I don't bother and do it in a sufficiently masculine manner... :D

Anyway, my grandmother and great grandmother invited me to visit them over an extended period... so I brought along my favoured guri-kujoog, na'mean. I was met with mortified expressions! Yet, being the classy well-mannered ladies the nanas are, they didn't say anything to criticise it... I did however note that whenever male family members came over, nan insisted on letting them in herself and immediately giving me some minor chore to do - clearly intended to get me out the way - oh the calamity of a woman wearing macawiis, don't you know! :eek: ;):D

Personally I couldn't give a flying toss what anyone might think, but I do indulge the nanas in their old ways and ideas about decorum, and stayed out of the way like they wanted...

Is there anything really so bizarre in a lady wearing macawiis, 'cos she likes the colours and comfort... and isn't afraid of doing things out of the norm to please herself... ???

Do any other women here own one? Would you admit to it in public if you did? :cool:

Pi   

I almost never mock the sartorial preferences of anyone. But. Yes, this is a big but, and I'll have to ask you what (in blazing hell) is so comfortable or attractive about a macawiis. I personally think you are strange, maybe even confused, but I dont think you're too crazy, not in these times anyways.

You probably wear that macawiis in the comfort of your home, and hardly too many people see you (yup, I hope these assumptions are true.) Hopefully, your sense of style will be confined to your house. Wouldnt want this not so sightly scene to become the norm, see!

You know what, what if a guy were to wear a Dirac or Baati or any other hideously delightful rob that Somali women wear, all in the comfort of his home. Daring? Definately. Innovative? Without a question. Wrong? Absoloutley! It'd be safe to say that something is abnormally wrong with such a picture.

That's all from me. You faarax-wanna-be.

P.S. If its the material and color you like, make some sort of dress out of it, or even a standard skirt. As long as you dont WEAR it like a macawiis. :D

Lol at nanas.

Don't own one. Wouldn't mind a brand new one that didn't look traditional and didn't smell nin-nin-ish though.

I live in kangas. I have so many. One is my trusted favourite, how it has remained vaguely white is still beyond me. It has served as sarong, hijab, ar*se-cushion(on murderous long journeys), prayer mat, gas mask, blanket, towel, mat, mosquito repellant and bloke shield. Macawis is not quite as versatile. :D

i thought i was crazy, but now i know that i am ok...lol. sista, i dont even wear it and i am dude, good luck to you!!

i believe this garment should be banned!! the mount of mooning it does, is beyond imagination!!

WILDCAT   

^ It is a matter of dexterity, you do not have to hurt anybody's eyes unless that is your full intention.

And it's hardly comparable to wearing a diric for Ciisa's sake, the thing is a bloody skirt for all intents and purposes! I question the ideas of which ever males started this off - they clearly had raging cross-dressing tendencies. :eek:

Wlc Bck Wildie...You haven't stopped amazing me!!!

It would be a delight to see you struggling with the nots every now and then. I can just picture that ;) ...hmmm

I personally don't wear macawis, neva liked it... to me it is not much different from the Scot's Kilt... So..I think you can try the Scotish kilt as well...hmmm..one day the kilt the other macawis..rooovereh! :D:D

Cheers

WILDCAT   

^ Hello my darling. strangely enough... I have found kilts most appealing as well... it's only those fair blond men that ruin it. Hah hah!

And incidently, I reckon I look better in it than most Somali guys, who appear to have softer, far larger jelly asses than I do... what the bleedin' heck is THAT all about dudes? They been fed too many female hormones or WHAT? smile.gif

Cara.   

^Well, if you want to be really authentic, then wear a garan, carry a caday, and skip the underwear. And if you do go out in public, every few feet make sure your groin is still attached to the rest of your body. Stand up without securing the knot and make a mad grab for modesty only after the macawis is well below the knees.

WILDCAT   

^ I didn't say I was trying to become an imbecile, I said I enjoyed the looks of a particular garment on ME, someone who does not posses offensive dangly bits, only unbulging topshop girl-boxers. Want to put that in your qaad bac and chew it. smile.gif

Cara.   

^Yes but you mentioned masculine authenticity. What's more authentically masculine than futile struggling with a garment that could be improved by the simple addition of a zipper, belt or elastic band?

Like every other girl, I did try on my brother's when I was little, but it just never held any appeal for me. The pants were far more intriguing. You can run, and jump and skip in them without some old biddy telling you "na lugaha isku du".

WILDCAT   

^ You are a man of insight who speaks true words. My intention is not to mimic - that would be foolish, it is to demonstrate how it may be done better, badder, and even elegent - god forbid that should be done with a macawiis.

WILDCAT   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

I live in kangas.

Ah. Try macawiis for loafing about at home - longer, warmer, can wrap your feet in it when sitting, quite nice, and comes in more variety of colours and designs than silly too short PJs...

Oh and you'll look better in it than most somali jelly boys...

Cara.   

You are a
man
of insight who speaks true words.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this is getting ridiculous.

*Fights urge to check for dangly bits*

Johnny B   

I need to try a 'Macawis' , though i fail to understand the masculinie thing about it , i need to try it for the sake of my Somali-manhood .

Deeply i think the thing is just as feminine as a skirt.

WildCat, please expand on that masculine manner!!

** will take notes **