Sign in to follow this  
Naden

Mind-splitting, eye-popping....

Cara.   

Sheh, don't be so harsh on the migraine-deprived. They simply imagine it as a really bad headache.

I get migraines about every 2-3 months. It's infrequent enough that I have never been able to figure out what the trigger is, or to develop an effective remedy. Each time I swear I'm going to go see the doctor as soon as it lets up, then a day later I stop believing it was that bad :D

Yaan caayey, KoolKat? Habaar, yes. LoL.

Arac, if I have never had leprosy and never read about how to deal with it, I would not make up nonsense on how to deal with it like some witch doctor.

Naden   

Sheh, I've been on the phone with acupuncturists all morning and couldn't understand half of the people on the other end. Will find someone who uses electricity and see if they use cupping as well. Thanks!

Koolkat, lol @ 'erbs, ahem. Heard they help but wouldn't know how to get my hands on some goddammit.

Naden   

Cara, direct sunlight seems to trigger my most painful ones. Sometimes there are no particular triggers at all.

Castro   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

Arac, if I have never had leprosy and never read about how to deal with it, I would not make up nonsense on how to deal with it like some witch doctor.

lol. Sheh, here's what you do for a migraine: go for a 5-mile run while pregnant and smoking a joint then take a cold shower.

Naden, stay off SOL. Nothing induces a migraine like reading rubbish.

Naden   

^ :D Truer words have yet to be spoken. But then I would miss out on all manners of testosterone-infused, sadistic medical advice!

Naden,

try to find what triggers your migraine.Keep a small notebook, it's always good to know. Some triggers to note: stress, hunger, food esp. chocolate and cheese, exercise,fatigue, some food additive,menses and strong odors. For sunlight try to wear sunglasses and in the mornings try to open your curtains or drapes slowly to adjust the brightness.

I have a bout once or twice a year and usually happens when Im very stressed out or if Ive had an overload of Dairy products especially strong cheeses. Sometimes it is associated with my menses. Because mine have become infrequent over the counter painkillers have helped me havent used prescription medication for almost 10years Alhamdullilah but my mum still has her terrible ones and she's on medication.

I havent tried acupuncture so I cant comment. Depending on the frequency and intensity of episodes you may need to have your prescription changed or have a drug added.

Out of curiosity do you only take the IMITREX or you take it with an NSAID? If you dont discuss with your doc to add an NSAID before changing to another drug or increasing the dose.

N.O.R.F   

Sheh iyo Naden,

Why the animosity? :eek:

How is migraine treated and prevented?

Migraine treatment (abortive therapies) and prevention (prophylactic therapies) focus on avoiding triggers, controlling symptoms, and taking medicines. Over-the-counter medications such as naproxen, ibuprofen, acetaminophen (paracetamol), and other analgesics like Excedrin (aspirin with caffeine) are often the first abortive therapies to eliminate the headache or substantially reduce pain. Anti-emetics may also be employed to control symptoms such as nausea and vomiting.

Serotonin agonists such as sumatriptan may also be prescribed for severe migraines or for migraines that are not responding to the over-the-counter medications. Similarly, some selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) - antidepressants such as tricyclics - are prescribed to reduce migraine symptoms although they are not approved in all countries for this purpose.

Another class of abortive treatments are called ergots, which are usually effective if administered at the first sign of migraine. Other drugs have also been used to treat migraine such as combinations of barbituates, paracetamol or aspirin, and caffeine (Fioricet or Fiorinal) and combinations of acetaminophen, dichloralphenazone, and isometheptene (Amidrine, Duadrin, and Midrin). If vomiting makes drugs difficult to ingest, anti-emetics will be prescribed.

Migraine prevention begins with avoiding things that trigger the condition. The main goals of prophylactic therapies are to reduce the frequency, painfulness, and duration of migraine headaches and to increase the effectiveness of abortive therapies. There are several categories of preventive migraine medicine, ranging from diet changes and exercise to prescription drugs. Some of these include:

* Prescription beta blockers, anticonvulsants, and antidepressants

* Botulinum toxin A (Botox)

* Herbs and vitamins such as butterbur, cannabis, coenzyme Q10, feverfew, magnesium citrate, riboflavin, B12, melatonin

* Surgery that severs corrugator supercilii muscle and zygomaticotemporal nerve in the brain

* Spinal cord stimulator implantation

* Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

* Vision correction

Exercise
, sleep, sexual activity

* Visualization and self-hypnosis

* Chiropractic care or acupuncture

* Special diets such as gluten free

It is possible for people to get medication overuse headache (MOH), or rebound headache, when taking too many medications in an attempt to prevent migraine

Get your Nike's on and go for a run!

Originally posted by Norfsky:

Go for a run then a shower then a good meal. Forget all that medication and expensive treatments.

And how does the above compare with what Google said? U were suggesting she does the above through a migraine, no? Just do it a la Nike, miyaa? Can you moonwalk in Nike trainers or are Addidas better for that?

What bugs me is blanket advice and Somalis are great at it. Everyone's an expert. Exercise, s*x, laughter, de-stressing, what don't those help?! Leprosy too I should imagine.

Animosity ma aha. Call it zero tolerance.

Castro, where have u gone? This place needs policing.

Ibtisam   

Loool @ Sheh going jum jag on the cantrabaqash advice given.

Naden good luck and let us know how it goes inshallah, all the best.

P.s. I like this no nonsense Sheh, this should be your new real life approach too!!

Paragon   

The old timers use to say: 'Qof bukoow boqoli kuu talisey'

Allaha ku caafiyo.

Are women more likely to get migraines or both genders get it?

Thierry.   

Lool Sheh give the brothers a break for long term cure a lot of those remedies do work.

Naden for temporary relief lock yourself up in a quite and dark room with a cloth tied around your eyes to the lower part of the head tightly, also take some pain killers. Then take a nap.

Alhamdulilah I haven’t suffered migraines for years, in the past school and work life was affected due to it. Everyone is different see what triggers yours, mine was reading without my glasses and Semi Skimmed milk.

Semi-skimmed milk waan ku noolahey. Shidh.

Ibts,lol. I have lowered patience these days due to clowns to the left of men, jokers to the right,here I am stuck in the middle with you. And am NOT referring to SOLers- before the sensitivity-brigade leaps(in their Nike bball shoes). smile.gif

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

quote:Originally posted by Norfsky:

Go for a run then a shower then a good meal. Forget all that medication and expensive treatments.

And how does the above compare with what Google said? U were suggesting she does the above through a migraine, no? Just do it a la Nike, miyaa? Can you moonwalk in Nike trainers or are Addidas better for that?

What bugs me is blanket advice and Somalis are great at it. Everyone's an expert. Exercise, s*x, laughter, de-stressing, what don't those help?! Leprosy too I should imagine.

Animosity ma aha. Call it zero tolerance.

Castro, where have u gone? This place needs policing.
Blimey! Last I knew a migraine doesn't cripple you or does it only cripple xaliimooyinkeena?

You can walk to and from work, jump on and off trains and buses but you can't go for a run?

Not buying it!

Men rely on exercise to get better. Women rely on medication icon_razz.gif