Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Puntland the change we all want to see in Somalia

Gabbal   

Puntland is just another poor section of a poor nation my friend. :D Granted the region has built itself some modicum of organization and stability yet still the overwhelming majority of its citizenry live on the remittance of welfare supported relatives in the West and the "success" of the admin is judged by what UN aid group they meet with. Not to short change the relative success of the state in comparison to other anarchy-prone areas in Somalia, particularly the south, but the forum does not deserve this saturation my friend Duke. I am surprised living in that gold state of Minnesota has not impressed you enough to pine for such a poor and dusty region in the world's poorest and most dustiest nation. On the other hand, you are pining and boasting from that golden state instead of simply flying to and boasting from that oasis of earthly paradise. Authenticity anyone? :D

Come back down to earth Duke. smile.gif

^^^

madaxweyne_Farole.jpg

Puntlanders laugh at Hiiraale & Co

As always one expected nothing less from the lover of Hiiraale & Dr Roadblock Taano. Adeer dont hate beause for the past 11 years Puntland has managed to develop without oustide help.

Its the very fact that we try not to oppress anyone nor live on roadbloks that we have been ever so successful.

Now enjoy because there will be more news coming from Garowe these coming days. :D

^you got scared or what? Bal ninyow naga yara hubi inaad Darawiish ahayd iyo in kale, dagaalkaaga dhinaca ka raac baan ku leeyahay meeshan waa lagu halgamayee.

Gabbal   

You have a chip on your shoulder my friend, bal adigu is qanci. Every time I witness your saturation I am reminded of what Xiin once said to you. :Dicon_razz.gif

Originally posted by nuune:

^^^^
GAAROODI
, The amount of times you told us you went to Africa is passing hundredhs, do you have to tell us, really, and what is the significance of your trip to us, here in SOL, alot of nomads go there every time to Somalia, Kenya, Djibouti and Ethiopia, and they don't brag about it.

Every comment you make, you bring or support your comments that you just came back from Africa, it doesn't prove your point at all.

Support you arguments or comments with something else OTHER than your trip!

That is a brotherly advice
smile.gif

Nuunka, some of us haven't been to Afrika in eons. Ee marka hanaloo faantamee dhaaf. :D

Gabbal; adeer thr fact of the matter is if you posted good things about Gedo or anyother place it would never anger me. Why the news from Puntland made you so full of hatred and envy is only a question you have the answer for. Get some help old boy for yourself , Taano & Hiiraale. :D

Gabbal   

Originally posted by General Duke:

Gabbal; adeer thr fact of the matter is if you posted good things about Gedo or anyother place it would never anger me. Why the news from Puntland made you so full of hatred and envy is only a question you have the answer for. Get some help old boy for yourself , Taano & Hiiraale.
:D

I am offended you think good news from Puntland offends me. :mad: But that is you my friend, always throwing a red herring. :D

Originally posted by Gabbal:

[qb] am offended you think good news from Puntland offends me. :mad: But that is you my friend, always throwing a red herring.
:D

You are more than offended , pictures from Puntland and any other good news gets to you. Your comments of late are proof. :D

Somalia: The 11th Anniversary of Puntland: Moment We Cannot Ignore

2 Aug 2, 2009 - 3:52:32 PM

By Faizal Mohamud

"By Saturday's colourful celebration among others, the people of Puntland send a clear message to the International Community, particularly, the UN envoy to Somalia, Ahmed Ould-Abdallah that they can still continue their success story despite any marginalisation."

Puntland State of Somalia yesterday celebrated the11th anniversary of its establishment as a model for a federal Somalia, where power and natural resources, the main and modern triggers of conflicts in Africa, are fairly and equally distributed to its regions and people.

The creation of Puntland State in 1998 coincided with the failure of Cairo Peace Conference, one of the dozen reconciliation talks held in overseas to reconcile the warring parties in Somalia but later manipulated by governments to thwart the outcome of preceded conferences held by rival antagonists.

Disgruntled with Egyptian mediator’s partisan approach, the region’s first president, Col. Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed walked out the meeting in Cairo and returned home to hold talks with elders and clan representatives who after months of deliberation agreed to establish a self-rule state that could be a cornerstone for a future Federal Republic of Somalia.

Remarkably, the administration has reformed and trained its security forces, promoted governance and revitalized its institutions using the insufficient income it generates from tax revenues (despite being marred by corruption which sparked criminal activities, i.e. piracy, abduction, that the region has been recently portrayed, but the new administration promises to eradicate such activities).

In all conferences on Somalia, Puntland campaigned for the restoration of Somali government in a manner that suits all parties to the conflict without marginalisation of any group or any clan – federalism.

But pushing a federal system for Somalia, the administration has gained animosity and is less favoured by some international actors in Somalia, mainly the Arab league and Arab nations who support a centralized Somali government.

The impressive foundation of this little-known State and its success story has been aided by the absolute need of its people for governance after being deprived of security and tranquillity by the ruinous civil war that torn the Horn of African nation apart and the subsequent meaningless bloodshed that shapes the image of today’s Somalia.

I was motivated to write this piece of acknowledgement in admiration for the civilians; women, children, students, who took the streets yesterday in colourful celebration for the anniversary of this great establishment in a rare scene in Somalia, overwhelmed by strong enthusiasm for governance and strong excitement for their relative achievement. They were not out to support a particular leader or a certain group but to show the dire need for stability and order, a valuable trigger that deserves to be admired and rewarded.

Since its establishment, Puntland has been presided over by four successive presidents, Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, Mohamed Abdi Hashi, Mohamoud Muse Hersi, and current President, Abdirahman Mohamed Farole who won parliamentary election in January this year.

President Abdirahman Farole was recently invited to Washington by US Congress sub-committee for African Affairs where he briefed them on the current situation in Somalia and on his way back made a stopover in London to meet British officials and addressed the independent ‘Chatham House’, where he was briefly questioned by curious politicians, analysts, journalists and International NGO's.

Despite its maintenance to remain as part of Federal Somalia and continual disregard to succession, Puntland has been relatively marginalized in international conferences aimed to restore stability and order to Somalia, which could deepen the already political deadlock in the country.

Mostly, this marginalisation is helped by its under-representation in international partners engaged in Somalia, i.e. international aid agencies; think-tanks and international media, mainly used by groups and individuals who underestimate its success story.

But by Saturday's celebration among others, the people and the government of Puntland had a moment to show the public, the media and, more importantly, the UN envoy to Somalia, Ahmed Ould-Abdallah that they can still continue their success story despite any marginalisation, in a world that rarely cares good achievements, where armed conflicts, terrorism and political violence mainly allure and influence international players.