Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

What not to wear.

chubacka   

Who is for the diraac sheed (spelling ?) @ home and whos for casual wear?

My dearest mother is always running after me with one of her flowery diraacs saying ALL somali girls wear them @ home. To be fair they are comfortable (although usually too long, do they only come in one size?) but is there some unwritten rule that these are traditional home wear or are they more for middle aged women?

I accepted one this morning to save a lecture, but I think being @ home means jst wearing the nearest thing you can find and has less to do with culture and tradition and more to do with convenience and comfort.

Salma   

Loudly & proudly, I completely dislike the shiid ,,, its not only too long, but too big as well and I feel so uncomfortable. However, I like the fancy diracs for the weddings/parties aka the silky ones.

I don't think the shiid is only for the middle-aged women, I have a sister who is 20 yrz and she started to wear it inside the home since she was 16. I guess its a matter of taste more than age.. Plus, there are those woman who know how to manage wearing shiid inside home and its very convenient and easy for them just like the jeanz for ya.

Blessed   

My hooyo is totally against girls wearing diracs,even at weddings because dirac is tradtionally for married ladies. I guess times change.

Sometimes I wear dirac esp. when I have visitors because it's easier to cover up nicely. Other times, I find it more practical not to.

Indhoos   

So, it is a hooyo thing to make one wear dirac baati ah? I could not figure out why I have to wear one...I complain about sudden inablity to walk or sleep when I wear one and I seriously trip over evey little thing around the house and blame it on the darn dirrac...Sad, I know, mom is embrassed by my behavior towards the thing.

Ibtisam   

Blessed: I love your mum, I'm going to bring that topic up next time I see her with my family. Then I will be like, see I am not strange! redface.gif

Even Somaalinimaad aya lee dhidid because I refuse to wear these things, waax iga taarn the damn koorgaard with the ****** string la kuunto or elastic that irritates the hell out of you.

Dirac shiid is just too many colours slotted together randomly made for elephant size fit.

Juxa   

^^ anigaa ka marqaati ah you are true soomaaliyad.

I think baati is comfortable thing to wear around the house. the darn thing would probably make you fall down the stairs.

having said that, ma waxa ileedihin kuligiin pj and sport wear baad guriga kujoogtaan

the baati are really comfy to wear around the house but you have to be reeeeeeaally careful so you dont fall down the stairs or fall when your tryn' to get yo fom the couch or get tangled up when your trying to change the tv smile.gif

my mothers always telling me that i need to wear the baati around the house so i can get used to it and then i wont embarrass the fam when i go our in dirac aroos and those are so beautiful and they make you look so regal but you dont want to be tripping and falling everywhere cuz that just ruins it!

You know this notion of casual wear is an interestingly western concept in the sense that for us as Somali's wearing a non expensive Diiric or sheed around the home is a casual occurance. (Not the wearing of casual clothes-persay but this idea which insinuates that a dirac and sheed is not casual)

Me personally? I'm wearing one now and always wear either a soft dirac or sheed at home with an appropriate googarad and garbasaar. Thats what I feel most comfortable in- when I come home I can relax, be myself and let it all hand out. No sophisticated galoo nonsense do I wear but a simple bag-like cotten dress which allows the breeze to flow through me, suugo and laxoox stains ahoy! LOL -I kid no suugo stains I've grow old of such things. Truly I have...

Paragon   

I don't intent to intrude here but Siren wearing the traditional attire at home is such comfort. Wonderful. smile.gif

You can wear any piece of cloth in the house for now but at the end of the day, what your man wants will be what you will end up wearing more often. :D

^- Oh what lies you gorge yourself upon. What red bloodied Somali woman would take your advice in fashion.

Paragon- And why is that may I ask? Already measuring me up for my hido iyo daqan wedding dress are ya? My we work very fast.

Wear whatever makes you comfortable. I was never a diraac person but I do occassionally wear dishdasha's(arabic thobes) at home. I prefer them as you dont have the risk of falling or tripping and the fabrics looks good and you look more presentable. (NB. I dont know what a baati is)

I started to wear Diraacs after marriage and Im still not comfortable wearing them. And are only worn for special occassions - weddings, hosting guests or for my otherhalf.

On another note:

If you have to wear a diraac at home then have a couple of them altered to your size.