Sign in to follow this  
roobleh

Somaliland closer to recognition by Ethiopia

roobleh   

Somaliland closer to recognition by Ethiopia

afrol News, 5 June - This weekend, the President of self-declared Somaliland was received with all honours by the Ethiopian Prime Minister. While the authorities downplayed the importance of the summit as "consultations", regional observers see it as yet another step towards a first-ever recognition of Somaliland's independence.

According to an official communiqué by the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, "Prime Minister Meles Zenawi held talks with Somaliland president Dahir Rayale Kahin on Saturday." The official statement, for the first time, refers to Somaliland and its leader as any other sovereign state and Head of State.

The Addis Ababa Ministry added that the Ethiopian-Somalilander discussions "focused on trade and other issues of interest to the peoples of Ethiopia and Somaliland." After his meeting with Prime Minister Meles, President Kahin told journalists that this latest discussion was only "part of a series of consultations."

Somaliland celebrated its 16th anniversary of independence just a few weeks ago. In May 1991, politicians and elders of the former British protectorate Somaliland revoked the 1960 act of unconditional union with the former Italian Somalia and declared the re-establishment of the sovereign republic of Somaliland. While southern Somalia fell into civil war and anarchy, Somaliland since that has built democratic institutions and a functional and peaceful state.

But until now, no country has recognised Somaliland. Neither Western nor African nations have wanted to make the first step before the African Union (AU) accepts the existence of Somaliland. But as south Somalia again seems to fail achieving peace and stability, several nations are now making significant steps towards recognising Somaliland.

In Africa, Somaliland has already established officially recognised offices in South Africa, Ethiopia and Ghana, functioning as embassies. South Africa and Ghana have been pushing the AU into considering the case of Somaliland's formal recognition and both governments would prefer the establishment of full-fledged diplomatic and trade relations rather sooner than later.

With neighbouring regional power Ethiopia, Somaliland has its closest ties and most of its trade. Somaliland's Berbera is the second-most important harbour, after Djibouti, for imports to and exports from landlocked Ethiopia.

Ethiopia has gone far in recognising Somaliland in practical terms but not formally. According to Somaliland's Foreign Minister Abdillahi Duale, Ethiopian officials recognise Somalilander passports and currency. Somalilander representatives "are received with all the diplomatic niceties that any minister or head of state gets, with the exception of a flying flag," he told South African media.

So far, a formal recognition has been difficult to issue for the Ethiopian government. Ethiopia is also the major ally of the south Somali government, which it assisted in ousting Islamists, and it still has a significant troop contingent in Somalia. Mogadishu strongly opposes Somaliland's independence and claims to represent the entire country.

Prime Minister Meles nevertheless by now seems ready to go further in the Somaliland recognition process, a process he has directed through small steps forwards for several years. If the AU does not move forward with its recognition process, analysts foresee that Ethiopia will make the move unilaterally.

European nations only wait for this step to formalise ties with Somaliland. The Hargeisa government already has officially recognised diplomatic offices in London and Brussels and Sweden recently announced it would regard Somaliland as a self-governing area in terms of development aid. Foreign Minister Duale on his May roundtrip in Europe was received with all diplomatic honours in Belgium, Denmark and Germany.

By staff writer

© afrol News

yeah after that kinda of a search in addis any amxaar will recgonize it. lol....!

i can hear the jokes in addis, ppl running with pic of bushqaada's Riyaale reer side and asking u know who this is?? and with big laugh...the answer will be ...yes....its sland leader.

what a :eek:

Thanks roobleh for the info ,,,,,,, i always know there is a progress towards our nationhood.

Just today, someone i know got a French visa with the Somaliland passport ,,,,,, big surprise innit ?? :D

RedSea   

lol@ MMA,

It's really sad if we are expecting recogntion from Ethiopia. They can't even get their own act together.

I can't wait until Riyaale and his Udub kalaab are taken out and new leadership without Ethiopian influence in implemented.

We don't need anything for the filth state.

Ethiopia is the birthplace of the secessionist ideology. That it’s going to take the first step to further develop its baby makes most sense to me.

roobleh   

I was not expecting from Nolanders(except those who are open-minded)to respect the will of the Somalilanders for their recognition of statehood.

This is a great moment for all of us, and we knew it will come soon. Whether the first country that recognizes Somaliland is Ethiopia or another African country is not the point. But the main thing is that Somaliland is going to get the recognition that it deserves.

Emperor   

^Nolanders? What does that term mean? I have seen it lately but was wondering as to what it entails, perhaps you mean none Somalilanders, if it means that then you could write it that way, because I think such word does not exist and there is nobody that has no land, every person belongs to somewhere.

As for Somalialnd recongnition, Im not here to dissappoint any1 or trying to break the egg, this much stories have been around for sometime, we heard stroger cases, read reports and it has been a trend for the SLanders to act this way for the past 17 years, sadly nothing has been forthcoming... What is more heartbreaking is that the case presented is weaker than any seen previously... Thus my point is:

To see is to believe and to believe is to see, untill someone sees it its almost certain not to believe Slanders story creation..

Nothing personal

Cheers

Kashafa   

Whether the first country that recognizes Somaliland is
Ethiopia
or another African country is not the point.
But the main thing is that Somaliland is going to get the recognition that it deserves.

And I'm assuming that's your bottom line, yaah ? Recognition, come hell or highwater, by any means neccasery is what I'm hearing, roobleh.

How far(or how low) are you willing to go in order to reach the recognition paradise ?

Are you(you being the SL government and whoever supports it) willing to:

a) Sell out your scholars(Culamaa-ul-Deen) and hand them over to the Xabashi cousins ? Check

b) Play the Al-Qacida card to persecute and silence any rising Islamic voice. Torture the shit outa any Shaykh that doesn't fall in line ? Check

c) Duck down and keep quiet about the ruthless indiscrminate shelling of a Somali city, this time, not at the hands of a Somali dictator, but a Tikray one(hypocrisy alert!) A massacre that was denounced by pretty much the rest of the 'civilised' world ? Check

In other words, you're willing to do pretty much anything that would get you international recognition, even if it means grovelling in the streets of Addis Abba.......Ouch, just writing that hurts, man.

After all that 'effort'(hyping up the masses, silencing any pro-unity advocates) , what happens if SL doesn't get recognition ? Mase sheekada waa give me recognition or give me death.

It's admirable to have a goal and work for it, but sometimes, you just gotta ask yourself: At what cost ? No disrespect, but I don't think getting recognition from Ethiopia and simultaneously confirming your Xabashi-biatch status is a good thing.

Some may disagree, tho.

N.O.R.F   

Next years election will be very very very interesting. Ethios will support Udub no doubt. Kulmiye are seen as a threat by Ethios.

Xargaga   

I agree on that. I foresee the next general election Would not only be interesting but a dtermining factor for the somaliland future at large. All in all, lets pray that all ends in peace.Its obvious that dictator Meles would not like to see a pecefull democratic evovement in the next door, just like he was worried of a peacefull islamic state in the south.

Kashafa, 17 years is not so long ,,, we can still wait for 50 more years as long as we are united we don't care how long it'll take to get a recognition.

To fight for Somaliland took 10 years ,,,,, untill now it is 16/17 years to get our act together and build our nation ,,,,, we don't mind if we struggle for the recognition some more years ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

United about what? Let's see that colonial created fictional border between two Soomaali walaala ah.

Let's see about that.

Reer Awdal are indifferent, ambivalent to goosashadda who care and are making the advancement of their region [which I commend every Soomaali region's people to follow, instead wax aan loo baahneen intii la isku wareerin lahaa] and most are somewhat into unity in a just, fair Soomaaliya, at least those many I socialize with on here daily.

Reer Sanaag iyo Soolna iskaba dhaaf warkooda taas.

Reer Waqooyi Galbeed [including Togdheer] ayaa soo haray. They are not even united on secession, not even on SOL. On SOL alone, you have staunch pro-unity, like Rudy and Peacenow, and you also have the pragmatics that does not mind a unified Soomaaliya in a just, sharing power on the future, including Notherner and Baddacase to say a few.

Marka what exactly unity are you talking about? What you are advocating creates more problem than it seems to you solves.

Fifty years ayaa tiri or whatever it takes, well, fifty years Koonfurta kuma jireysa saas. And you should know Koonfurtaas oo burbursan ayaa aqoonsi imaan waaye, imagine Koonfur dowlad la isku wada raacsanyahay ka dhisan, that can lobby international community or even come to rule the land separatists claim, invited by locals who are pro-unity. Will this be "occupation" to you and like-minded then?

We need to see without the smoke and emotion. Some men made mistake and misled the community into secession, whose members have yet to buy the idea fully; the men are Tuur, Sifir and others who have realized their mistakes later. They realized it does not work that easily.

So lemme guess, you are judging the minds of reer Awdal just to avoid the reality that they are the ones leading the country. Without them somaliland maba jirteenba.

some parts of Sool and Sanaag are disputed areas like everywhere in the world. Best example Kashmir. It is upto the residents to either live with this or choose their destiny.

I'm disappointed that you are talking an example of some SOL members to measure the whole country. Some figures support the failed union but they don't value anything. Remember the last SL constitutional vote, 97% voted fot Somaliland. Those in SOL you mentioned will fall in the remaining 3% and i respect that.

I prefer Somalia to have a government and to get their act together so that there will be at least one adminstration we can talk to. That was my concern from the beginning and i still believe it.

Sifir, Buubaa and their likes dn't value anything in Somaliland and Somalia too. Somalis say (rag waxa ugu liita nin maqan oo aan la tebin) ,,,,