Sign in to follow this  
Thierry.

An Issue that could be discussed at the “Reconciliation meeting”

Thierry.   

It seems that every day Somalia is further growing apart, although we have a reconciliation meeting due very soon, I fail to see what fruits it will bear, the posture of all participants seem to contradict the meeting itself. My question is if the meeting fails to reconcile all warring factions in Somalia what next, will the TFG still function, will the South accept their hostile visit and will Somaliland keep on pursuing recognition for independence.

An issue that could be discussed is Temporary Separation.

Clearly Unification is not in the cards at the moment we are not in post colonial periods where Somalinimo was valued.

My suggestion would be a period of 10 year separation under the following conditions:

• Mandatory to reunify after the end of the period

• The country will divided in three regions (South, Puntland and Somaliland)

• A federal state should be adopted after this period.

• All hostilities will end in the 10 years

• All regions should pursue economic development

• There should be trade agreements between the regions where no tariffs and costs are charged against each other.

• All regions should compete economically rather than by the barrel of the gun

Clearly the current leaderships of all regions are not fit for the purpose of reuniting the country so perhaps in this period when Somalis have experienced a relatively period of calm then we can reconcile one and the other.

Perhaps at the end of the 10 years we can reunite willingly like our Muslim brothers of the United Arab Emirates

Salamu Alaikum

Xoogsade   

This is not a bad idea. Only problem I see on the horizon is whether Muqdisho can find peace without men like the courts uniting disparate clans who might disagree on everything otherwise? The TFG is doomed to fail. My concerns are what comes next after that. Hope Sheekh Shariif and Sheekh Uweys are around for their absence will be felt.

Chemical   

This is a great idea but I have some modifications to it:

1. The divisions shouldn't be only (South, Puntland and Somaliland), I think it is better to divide it into 5 regions (extreme South "Juba" with Kismayo as regional capital, North East "Puntland" with Bosaso as regional capital, North West "Somaliland" with Hargeysa as regional capital, South west with baidoa as the capital of the region, and Center+South East with Mogadishu or Jowhar as regional capital)Not to forget Mugadishu as the capital of the country, but I'm not sure if it is OK to be regional and Federal capital at the same time.

2. The part that says it is mandatory to re-unify, will kill any agreement before conception in the Somaliland side, So any region that would like to separate have to do a referendum with more than 60% in favor of secession ( I heard they did a referendum in Somaliland, but it is better to have one with international supervision.

3. I believe that 10 years is too long, so if it is changed into 5 or 6 years it will be better.

4. During the first 3 years a regional election should be conducted with international supervision, and every region should divide itself into electoral districts to make it fairer for every group within the regions.

5. After the elections which include parliamentary and an upper house of "Elders" elections a transitional period of 2 years will follow to form a conclusive Federal Government.

6. All hostilities should end immediately or "else", with emphasis on ELSE.

7. Your last three points are more than perfect.

8. All international economic assistant to individual regions will be measured according to the following points:

• Democratic freedom (e.g. multiparty elections, freedom of speech, free media, etc..etc...)

• Government performance in the economy, education, planning, Security, Law etc...

• Good relations with neigbouring regions.

The problem with this idea is how will the regions look like, don't forget that there is a border issue between somaliland and Puntland, and if this plan in a strange twist of fate becomes a reality then there will be border conflict between all the regions, but I think the only solution is to include the border drawing in the elections.

Pple,if u are waiting for fruits in reconciliation meetings u will forever wait for peace and thus,If they(the meetings) were any good,Somalia would have been peaceful long ago.These meetings and similar ones are nothing but a waste of time and money.Somalia has one solution and thats a military solution in whichever form it may be.

^^Thank you for being direct with this statement. and we, the ICU, are doing exactly that to unite the country under Islam, by waging Jihad against you and the enemy. Only violence can bring us back to where we were, I say.

ICU is gone sxb,the earlier u swallow that fact the sooner u might be healed.And if a militray force is what u call violence,Sure,then its that or no other way.My drill is on,is urs on?

Xalane & Ubaahne waa labo diiq banaanka ka booteenaya. Hadaad run sheegeysiin bal kacoo xamar aada, hadii kale naga qaleeya saaxibayaal.

It is so easy to say all this BS when you are not the one dying.

^^You seem defining the essence of war by limiting it to the physical aspect, thus leaving the rest.

Saaxiib, dagaalka afkana waa jiraa, oo waa midkaan ku hayo cunuga yar ee Kabtanka is mooday!

Dude i don't care what ur definition of war is or its essence,mine is that i will liquidate u and bury u.Suppress ur threats and make u surrender and submit u to my will.Thats my definition,And as long as am concerned,thats exactly what is being done by the current Government.Again,my Drill is on,is urs on?

Ubaahne, put your money where your mouth is. This cyber ku dirir does nothing to your socalled dagaal

Xalane....You sincerely believe what are you saying, or you are just being a dick to Ubaanhe.

Captain Xalane, your drill is off :D . Not on.

Madaxweyne C/llaahi Yuusuf iyo Hoggaamiye Kooxeedyadii Muqdisho oo kulan ku yeeshay Villa Somalia

Talaado, March 27, 2007(HOL): Shir ay albaabada u xiran yihiin ayaa maanta waxaa uu ku dhexmaray xarunta Villa Somalia Madaxweyne C/llaahi Yuusuf Axmed iyo Hoggamiye Kooxeedyadii Muqdisho.

Shirkan oo ay saxaafadda banaanka ka joogtay ayaa waxaa la sheegay in ay labada dhinac uga wada hadlayeen Xaaladda Magaalada Muqdisho iyo sidii ay hoggaamiyayaashan uga qeybgeli lahaayeen shirka dib u heshiisiinta ah ee ay Dowladda Federaalka ku baaqday.

Hoggaamiye Kooxeedyadan oo ah kuwii ay Maxkamadihii Islaamka ka ceyrsadeen fariisimadoodii Magaalada Muqdisho ayaa xarumahoodii dib ugu soo laabtay markii ay Dowladda Federaalka Muqdisho ku tagtay Taangiyada Itoobiyaanka, waxayna hubkoodii ku wareejiyeen Dowladda Federaalka.

Hoggaamiye kooxeedyadan oo qaarkood ay Dowladda Federaalka ka mid yihiin ayaa waxay taageersan yihiin joogitaanka Ciidamada Itoobiyaanka ah ee Dalka Soomaaliya, inkastoo ay qaar ka mid ah Hoggaamiyayaashaas ay horay u cambaareyn jireen faragelinta ay Dowladda Itoobiya ku heyso Dalka Soomaaliya.

Dhanka kalena, Magaalada Muqdisho ayaa waxay u muuqataa mid deganaanteedii ku soo laabaneysa kagadaal dagaallo khasaare ba’an geystay oo muddo seddex maalmood ah ka socday, inkastoo aysan weli soo laaban dad badan oo dagaalladaas ka qaxay.

Salaad Iidow Xasan (Xiis), Hiiraan Online

sxiis@hiiraan.com

Mogadishu, Somalia

Al- shabaabs war drill is on. It seems.

At least two dead after Mogadishu suicide attack

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

MOGADISHU (AFP) - Two cars exploded in overnight attacks on an Ethiopian military compound in Mogadishu, killing an apparent suicide attacker and a taxi driver who was shot when Ethiopian troops retaliated, officials said Tuesday.

"A suicide car targeted an Ethiopian military compound, crossed the checkpoint and hit a wall at the main gate. The car exploded, the driver was killed but we don't know if there was fatality on the Ethiopian side," said a senior Somali military officer, who requested anonymity.

"Another car in the same area which was abandoned exploded at night without damaging anybody."

An Ethiopian officer confirmed the attacks had taken place at an Ethiopian base in Darmole, in the northern outskirts of Mogadishu, and said troops had fired back to defend themselves, killing a taxi driver.

Residents said the taxi driver had not been involved in the attack but had been near the second car that exploded.

"It was very difficult for everybody to tell whether he was an attacker or not," said resident Ahmed Gutale.

"These kind of attacks will further complicate the situation in Mogadishu," said another resident, Abdullahe Mumil.

Somali soldiers closed part of the road, a major highway leading from Mogadishu to the northern Puntland region, to carry out further checks after the attacks.

A shaky ceasefire has been in place in Mogadishu since Friday after a week of some of the deadliest insurgent attacks since Ethiopian-Somali troops drove out an Islamist movement from south and central Somalia over the New Year.

Somalia's powerful ****** clan on Tuesday asked the government to release an unknown number of its fighters a day after releasing 18 government forces captured during bloody clashes last week.

The ****** on Friday made a ceasefire deal with Ethiopian troops backing the Somali government.

A bloody power struggle that followed the 1991 ouster of dictator Mohamed Siad Barre exploded into a full-scale civil war that has defied more than 14 attempts to restore a functional government in Somalia.

Source: AFP, Mar 27, 2007