Sign in to follow this  
Camel Mlik

Colonel Qaybdid given back his freedom!!!!

Somalia: Colonel Qaybdid given back his freedom

Thu. October 20, 2005 01:09 pm.

Send this news article

Swedish court released Mr. Ali Awale from captivity due to lack of evidence today. As we predicted Monday, this case divided Somalis around the globe along clan lines.

Original report:

Former colonel in Somali military, Mr. Abdi Hassan Awale, know as Qaybdid was arrested today in Lund, Sweden for genocide crimes against his own Somali people in early 1990s when the Somalia's civil war was at its peak. Mr. Awale accompanied Somali parliament speaker to Sweden for a short visit last week.

Thousands of Somalis lost their lives in the civil war, especially in early 1990s. This arrest, first of its kind shows those wounds were not healed yet. Under a law passed in 1964, Swedish courts have universal jurisdiction to try a person for genocide committed abroad. The maximum sentence is life in prison.

Somalis who escaped the civil war and now live in Sweden told the police about Mr. Awale’s involvement in the alleged genocide provided video tapes they said will show the crimes he committed. In the early years of the civil war clan leaders were often video taped encouraging young armed men to kill and rob members of other tribes. Videos taken from that era showed women and children begging to get permission to bury decomposing bodies of their men who were killed in front of them. Many clan warriors thought denying proper burial for their victims was the ultimate victory. Group killings and gang-rape was all common in those days.

Only time will tell Whether Mr. Awale participated in human rights violations and to what extent. However, his arrest will surely divide Somalis more as members of his clan will standby and support him, even if he participated in heinous crimes against his own people. Somali clan system is like insurance and ordinary citizens are expected to help their clan members at any cost regardless of who is right and who’s wrong. So whatever the outcome of this arrest, Somalis will be divided as America was divided on OJ Simpson trial.

News Category: Somalia

Send this news article

J.Lee   

I have but two simple instructions for our little video surgeons, and senders; Open mouth wide, now insert foot.

this is some bullshit.

I have never seen a bull sh!t however, Maxkamada waxee cadheysay ninka danbiga lagu eedeenaayey inuu waxba ka jidhin. That is not to say, his not guilty of "other" human rights violations but rather that, thanks to the altered evidence, the Swedish court found him not guilty of this particular one.

What I'm confused about though, is why the Swedes didn't see fit to question the authenticity of the tape in first place? After all, shouldn't evidence before admissibility at least satisfy the required condition of being original?

Attempts like this shows that Somalis can't defeat one another. The people of Abdullahi Yuusuf wanted Mr. Qeybdiid rot behind bars, and the people of Mr. Qeybdiid know the counter strategies for tackling the plots of Mr. Yuusuf's people. So, in this case they are all in a vicious circle, and no one is promised a true win for this tribalistic warfare. But what everyone can tell for sure in this event is the prolongments of their rivalries for years to come, as long a qabqable is steering the politics of both families to their ends.

I don't like Abdiqeybdid, but what looks more hypocritical are the views of these people who wish a disaster for the warlords of other tribes, not theirs. All I saw in the past two days are cries of these people shouting for justice only against the criminals of other tribes. Why can't see justice in the undiscriminated punitivity for all qabqable? In this case, I guess, we are adding more to the complexities of our misery by enforcing the fading tribal systems to previal among us.

Xoogsade   

Alle Ubaahne, The criminal enterprise headed by A/Y would have crumbled anyway. Cidaan taageerayaashiisa ahayn kuma qasaareen dacwada.

Dambi haddii la dhahana, many have blood on their hands. I have been there in Muqdisho when the war broke out and my neighbours were armed to the teeth by Siyad Barre to participate in the war and defend his rule. They set up isbaarooyin at Number Four and stopped everyone who fled from other parts of the town. They asked the refugees from other Muqdisho localities what their tribes were and you were executed based on your accent. Some of my relatives survived because they claimed to be their neighbours in Mudug.

Waxa waaye, soomaalida kale waa dad iska aamusan who are not obsessed with their dead. We buried whole families in single graves because all we could account for were their flesh. From Muqdisho to Kismayo, some those who fled Xamar continued killing people who hailed from another tribe. Dadaan waxba caydiid ka aqoon baa la laayay just because. I have been in Gaduudeey as well running with My abtiyaal where they burned whole families in the Sugar fields. When they made to Kismayo, they started killing people as well and organizing a return to Muqdisho. I was scared to see women throwing away their clothes and pouring sand on their head to entice the men to go back and fight, defend their tribal honour. Dadkaan qabiilaa dhuuxa ka galay.

Intii nabadda la ahaana musuqmaasuq yaa waddanka loola joogi la'aa iyo qabyaalad.

Gabbal   

^^I found it interesting that you did not, even for a second, condemn Qaybdiid for the crimes he committed. Crimes, that although are seen as "unsubtantiated" in Swedish courts, are very well known to us! I have seen you call for Abdulahi Yusuf's arrest, though nothing is wrong with that, but you have not said a single thing about the crimes levelled against Qaybdiid. You have not even tried condemning him for those crimes, yet you want to present a cadaalad face?

Xoogsade   

I am not interested in what people think of me, so I don't need to present a just face. I do write the replies based on what others write. I am not bereft of family connections and when people are full of venum, of course, it tells me that I am just part of people they hate. Besides, I hate beenta qaawan, on one end people telling us about islam, advocating for Somaalinimo while at the same time, they are hating on others and are prejudist.

"Swedish court released Mr. Ali Awale from captivity due to lack of evidence today. As we predicted Monday, this case divided Somalis around the globe along clan lines."

"LACK OF EVIDENCE" WASN'T THE TAPE ENOUGHT WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE SWEDISH COURT. I THINK THEY GOT PAID TO RELEASE MR. ALI

"THIS CASE DIVIDED SOMALIS AROUND THE GLOBE ALONG CLAN LINES"

LOOOL THAT IS FUNNY SOMALIS ARE DIVIDED AND WILL ALWAYS BE DIVIDED THIS CASE WOULD HAVE ONLY GIVE SOME PEOPLE JUSTICE FOR THERE LOSE.

ONCE AGAIN THIS IS BULLSHIT NOW FOR THOSE THAT HAVE LOSE LOVED ONCE IN MR.ALI'S HANDS IT'S TIME FOR THEM TO LIFT THEIR ARMS AND TAKE THE GUY OUT THEMSELVES BECAUSE JUSTICE HAS NOT BEEN SERVED IN THE COURT.

^^^^.Xoogsade...Atleast You are honest.

Back to da topic

Qeybdiid is guilty as hell, n so r many others from every Somali tribe, but what is funny is the Planders in here are calling for this man head on plate, and while at sametime defending the likes of Ali Samatar, infact making fundraisers for him to cover his defence and other expenses, and then having the audicity to come here and preach justice.

I was scared to see women throwing away their clothes and pouring sand on their head to entice the men to go back and fight, defend their tribal honour. Dadkaan qabiilaa dhuuxa ka galay.

LoooooL.....Saaxib, Qof Somali Ah oo Qabiil Lafaha Ka galin Malaha.....Anba Habeenkasta Magool Baan Ka sayxan Dagaalkii 91. The inhibantants of Xamar responded to her venom in great numbers killing their neighbors, marching to the south not to defeat but exterminate the "enemy".

Somalis are effected by Qabiilism, but you can choose to believe some are more tribalistic than others.

I think Islamnimo and Somalinimo is non-exist, and the last 15 yrs is proof of dat. The only thing that could save Somalis is realising that your individual interest doesn't lie with your qabiil.

Gabbal   

Thanks for the reply. It is nice to know you are a student of Olol's School of Reply. Sky and Duke are as honest and in your face as they can get. Of all things, that is a thing to be respected. ;)

Xoogsade   

Akhyaarta, waa caadiye, waxba yaan la kala xumaanin. No hard feelings.

PS: I edited after I wrote too much unnecessary information about me :D

Horn

It is okey to support A/Y. It would be nice if people who support him oppose him when he does employ devisive policies or wants to wage a war. Justifying his wrongs is inexcusable. His election proves people are willing to put tribalism behind if A/Y comes along with the peace program fine. Also, there is nothing wrong if others oppose him on good grounds.

I guess both supporters and those who oppose him should examine what they base on their deeds.

Che

Saaxib, all you said is right. I will leave it at that.

I am not interested in what people think of me, so I don't need to present a just face. I do write the replies based on what others write. I am not bereft of family connections and when people are full of venum, of course, it tells me that I am just part of people they hate. Besides, I hate beenta qaawan, on one end people telling us about islam, advocating for Somaalinimo while at the same time, they are hating on others and are prejudist.

Going around the question huh... redface.gif

Dadaan waxba caydiid ka aqoon baa la laayay just because. I have been in Gaduudeey as well running with My abtiyaal where they burned whole families in the Sugar fields.

Whom are you reer abtiyaal?

The inhibantants of Xamar responded to her venom in great numbers killing their neighbors, marching to the south not to defeat but exterminate the "enemy".

The difference between the inhabitants of Mogadishu to baidoa (southern Somalis) and the descendents of THE GREAT who roam from garbahaarey-galkacyo-goldgob-lascanod-lasqorey is that the descendents of THE GREAT have something call "daqaan" and have the mental capability to know the difference between right and wrong, while the others are barbaric, inhumane, cannibal-like, savages. This is proving by the actions eachone took during dagaalki sakooye.

Originally posted by Alpha-Geeljire:

The difference between the inhabitants of Mogadishu to baidoa (southern Somalis) and the descendents of THE GREAT who roam from garbahaarey-galkacyo-goldgob-lascanod-lasqorey is that the descendents of THE GREAT have something call "daqaan" and have the mental capability to know the difference between right and wrong, while the others are barbaric, inhumane, cannibal-like, savages. This is proving by the actions eachone took during dagaalki sakooye.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Laakiin intaa "the difference between cannibals, barbaric and the GREAT" people of yours soo baran, af Soomaaligaa gaja gaja soo badal. "Dhaqan" iyo "dagaaladdii" waaye, mise amaaba dhaqan celis u baahan tahay.