Sign in to follow this  
Sophist

After the warlords-- Where will the ship dock?

Sophist   

Countless number of Somalis in every corner of the world has welcomed the important events that had unfolded in the southern part of Somalia. The jubilant crowds are still euphoric. But few are thinking (or expressing their thoughts) as to where will it go from here; a pertinent question.

The Islamic Courts Union (ICU) has responded to a need; that is the unseating of the warlords in Mogadishu and its environs and this is the uniting factor of many groups and individuals whose understanding of Islam are at odds. This is where my concern lies. Though I completely agree with the getting rid off the evil warlords; I am afraid the road ahead is not smooth.

A Lesson from Afghanistan:

In early Eighties, Afganistan’s coup group invited the Russian’s to come to it’s aid. The leader of the group claiming that the presence of Russian troops were not an invasion but were indeed invited by his government and claimed that they were defending his country from outside threats. Then the Jihad ensued. After nearly a decade, the Soviet withdrawal came. The Mujahideen comprised of many sub-groups with different ideological stances; as a consequence of this (and of course the power ambition) a civil war ensued.

Like our brothers in Afghanistan, the boys in Mogadishu have one uniting factor—to get rid off the evil that overshadowed for the past decade an half. When you look at backgrounds of the Militia; then a troubling picture emerges. Let us take three dominant individuals within this “revolutionâ€.

1. Hassan Dahir Aweys; an intelligent, fierce; calculating person with Salafi Caqiida and Saluuk. Aweys has been a prominent figure in the Somali Islamic scene since 70’s; being member of founders of Ahli group. A group of young men whose become enlightened and woken up to Islamic Sahwa. Hassan, went through a metamorphosis of theological experiences. He later became member of the Shura of Al-Itihad Al Islami where he was known to have warring tendencies. Theologically, he is Salafi with progressive thinking leaning. He is known to be a man of great ambition and conviction. Aways has profound disdain to anything that is not puritan Islam. Hassan is knowledgable in Islam and takes pride in jump-starting Salafi movement in Somalia.In general, he is good Muslim with an ambition----- Nothing Wrong with that. But his solid credence to Puritan Islam will not allow him see the less Salafi taking the helm and there plenty of those now in the militia. He is the Hikmatiyir of Somalia; there will be other Ali Batuns in the making. Will Xassan sit back and let Quraafiyiin; Ashcariyiin and Sufis take hold of power! Nay I say. This man's conviction in Salafi Caqiida I suspect will not be marred by his political ambitions.

2. Sharif Hassan. Though I have never met him personally; sources close to him paint him as someone who has a leaning theologically towards Ikhwan Al-Islami because of Sudanese influence. Mr Sharif is an ambitious man who reckons he is something of a political animal. Having come back from Sudan in earlier this decade, he apposed Abdiqasim’s administration in favour of Ethiopian backed Mr Mohamed Dhere who was then Governer of Jawhar—even though Abdulqasim was closer to the Islamic movements in Somalia. Numerous people say that this is a clear picture that Sharif is not your classic Sheikh with sentimental Islamic feeling but a shrewd man with political ambitions. In conclusion; Sharif is not a man of Salafi Caqiida; never been part of the dominant Itihaad movement thusly making him a potential opponent to the Salafi elements in the revolution.

3. Yusuf Indha Cade. This man is a bit of an enigma. Sources close to Itihaat believe that he was Haamish (affiliate or sympathiser) of Al Itihaat Al-Islami. This is not a sure thing. But what we know about him is far from anything close to Itihaat’s ideological purity or it’s political pragmatism. Indho Cade is a kitaab gab (novice in Islamic affairs) and in the cloak of Sheikh. His actions in Marka and its environs make him more of a warlord with self-righteousness than a sheik turned a saviour. Will he side with less Islamic oriented Sharif or his clan feeling will win the day. I will bet on the later.

Now, imagine the dust settles and the foreign troops that the TFG is so obsessed do not come (or have a little affect on the facts on the groud). The ICU will then call for Islamic government. The time bomb that has been ticking since the triumph of the Maxkamadaha will indeed explode. I say this because of historical facts. experience. You have thousands of people with varying degree of Islamic erudition mixed with various Caqiida (I hear that a large junk of the ICU militia are drawn from Tabliiq; a group that the Itihaaad finds at odds with Islamic Salafi teaching); what brand of Islam shall we take?

Call me a cynical git with pessimism to his teeth, but my dear fellow, al though I welcome the developments in Mogadishu; I am weary of what will come of this when the euphoria vanishes. We have seen this in Afghanistan—even go back to the death of Omar (the waqtul Fitnah). Power is dangerous especially one that is mixed with religion. Unless that is you have a society that is trained in away that directs whole to one objective. You might say the objective here is to bring forth a semblance of peace! But then what; we have peace where do we go from here?

I hope my concerns and fears will not materialise for we don't want a new blood letting in our lands.

Aloow Noo Gargaar.

PS: Excuse the errors; written in haste.

^^ With this qoute

Power is dangerous especially one that is mixed with religion

it seems you are very bothered by the return of our religion in the public spheres. What is obviously dangerous is what you believe, not our religion becoming the sole power of Somali polity.

I thought you were a man of deep religious integrity, but you prove otherwise with your unnecessary pessimism towards our religion.

Dhubad.   

^^Definitely the situation in somalia is very dynamic and no one can predict the outcome, however, your analysis of the situation is not bad and could be closer to the truth. Will see what happens?

Kashafa   

Power is dangerous especially one that is mixed with religion

^ He probably means religion used as crutch to gain power, kinda like what the Ummayads and Abbasids were doing. A legitimate concern.

I think that pessimism, at this stage, is uncalled for. The ICU has the active support of the entire cross-section of Somali society. When the dust settles, there still will be a need for law & order. Something only the courts have been able to accomplish in the past 15 years. 13 goverments with the backing of the US, EU, AU, UN,and OIC have tried and failed what the ICU has done in 3 months time: remove the Isbaros and clear out the mooriyaan from the nation's capitol

The prospect of in-fighting between the courts due to 'religous differnces' is far-fetched at best. I can understand differnces on policy direction, but to say that the courts are gonna fight each other because one is Salafi and the other is Tableegi is ludicrous. What are they gonna kill each other for; how to best make wuduu ? The courts are Muslim. As Muslims, they naturally support Sharia law and Islamic governance and everything that entails. If their are difference in interpreting islamic law, they will be dealt with by the leaders in a organized fashion. These are, we hope, god-fearing men. I just don't see how a conflict could start between them for as fickle a reason as labelling(Tabliq vs Ikhwan vs Salafi)

Sophist   

"ولا ننزل أحدا منهم جنة ولا نارا، ولا نشهد ونحب أهل العدل والأمانة، ونبغض أهل الجور والخيانة"

For number of reasons, I have found difficult to write about this topic. Perhaps, it would help set the stage if I were to point historical facts within our blessed religious governments to support the premise that the faithful with contrasting understanding of the principles of Islam had many times let their blood flow in rivers. After the death of Omar, Islam was wrought with khilaafaat (divisions) mostly in Aqeedah. As you might know guys from Taarikhul Salaf, the divisions started whilst the Sahabah and Khulafaa were selecting the next Khalif. The overwhelming majority chose Osman over Ali (Radiyalaahu Canhumaa) and Ali gracefully accepted the coronation of Osman and even served in his government as a governor. However, number of people was not happy about this outcome and set to work under shadows to undermine the Khalif. This was (and still is) a capital crime within Islam. Osman’s death (May Allah be pleased with him) caused a great havoc and deep seated divisions within Islam which led to great deaths. As you know, the Fitnah was unleashed and great number of Sahaba and Tabiciyiciin perished.

All this was of course caused the emergence of Kharijiya, baadiniya,Ashcariya, Mushabiah, Al Mujasimah et all (you need to read Aqeedatul Dahaawi By Imam Jacfar Dahawi to get the flavour of the numerous sects at that time! Even some believed the creation of the Quran). Bear in mind chaps that this was less than 100 years of the death of the Prophet SCW – within the time of Salaf.

Now are you telling me that these young men with AK47 are more pious than the Taabiciyiin?

Khashafa,

“What are they gonna kill each other for; how to best make wuduu†Is this meant to be a joke? As long as there is a theological difference (I am not talking about Furuucul Islam here) the potential for a teeth bloody show down is not far away.

Alah Ubaahane wrote: “What is obviously dangerous is what you believe, not our religion becoming the sole power of Somali polity.â€

What a deceit and distortion of words. Only intellectually challenged or malicious being would draw such a falacious conclusion from my well meaning words.

Alaah waxaan ka baryayaa inuu Umada u gargaaro.

Xoogsade   

There is potential for conflict and even religious men undermine each other sometimes, however, we hope this movement is different and their pledge for security, law and order in Muqdisho outlives and dampens any undercurrent ideological differences they have. They can not afford to picker.

If the courts fail, Muqdisho waa u dhammaatay. The alternative is worse.

-Lily-   

The biggest problem that Somalia faces right now is people who hold on to old ideals and refuse dialogue and are hellbound om rocking the boat (eg,. Abdullahi Yusuf). I am doubtful of the ICs but at least no matter how dangerous they may be viewed they are willing to talk and thus show they are reasonable.

The current TFG is an absolutle disgrace and had they done their job properly there would have been no need for the Islamic Courts.

Xoogsade   

Originally posted by WaTerLily:

The biggest problem that Somalia faces right now is people who hold on to old ideals and refuse dialogue and are hellbound om rocking the boat (eg,. Abdullahi Yusuf). I am doubtful of the ICs but at least no matter how dangerous they may be viewed they are willing to talk and thus show they are reasonable.

The current TFG is an absolutle disgrace and had they done their job properly there would have been no need for the Islamic Courts.

The TFG finally agreed to meet the court representatives in Khartuum though A/Y set conditions that won't be met as expressed by Sheekh Shariif.

You correctly stated what is wrong with Somalia today. Old school mentality. We need new faces and young generation of somalis to rule the country who understand government is not about consolidating power, nepotism and fighting others if they don't want you to rule or disagree with you.

Maf Kees   

Abdullahi Yusuf and Mohamed Aidid were exactly that 4 decades ago. The new faces and the next generation Somali leaders. Look how they turned out to become. What is wrong with Somalia is that tribalism is holding the mental freedom of Somali people locked up in a cage. You'll see good Somali people struggling with clannism. They want to abandon the whole concept, but feel like they're traitors if they do so. That's what I mean with locked up in a cage.

Somalis went overboard with tribalism. A promising, independant state finding itself in a miserable state 46 years later. Half a century wasted is an awfully long time and we'll never get it back.

Great topic by the way. Can someone explain to me how the Islamic Courts Union are organised. Like the names of the courts, their leaders and their characteristics and history and sofort?

Sophist wrote:

What a deceit and distortion of words. Only intellectually challenged or malicious being would draw such a falacious conclusion from my well meaning words.

What you wrote was not actually a well-meaning statement, it was full of tribalism and nonsense that you chose to believe. Now, I understand that you are trying to portray yourself in a different color, but I am afraid that you will make the same personality that favors for the emergency of everything but Islam in our country. But can you share with us the ambiguity you had on these Islamic Courts in the tribe-wise terms you happen to demonstrate?

Rahima   

it was full of tribalism and nonsense that you chose to believe.

You feeling right brother?

What tribalism are you reffering to? I read no nonsense, the brother has made valid points. Some points i have no idea about, but i can state with almost complete certainty that tribalism plays no part.

I don't see how you could accuse an individual with such islamically orientated views of tribalism. You leave me perplexed :confused: .

With regards to your reply in the other thread, joy can be expressed outside of this forum ;) .

Originally posted by Rahima:

quote: it was full of tribalism and nonsense that you chose to believe.

You feeling right brother?

What tribalism are you reffering to? I read no nonsense, the brother has made valid points. Some points i have no idea about, but i can state with almost complete certainty that tribalism plays no part.

I don't see how you could accuse an individual with such islamically orientated views of tribalism. You leave me perplexed :confused: .

With regards to your reply in the other thread, joy can be expressed outside of this forum
;)
Sis, when you express an apprehension of the growing popularity of Islamic influence gaining power in Somalia, then you are either advocating for tribalism to remain the vicious rule of the land, or something else, but in the case of this guy, he was for the rubbish so-called government of A/Y on the bases of tribalism. And I am certain on my judgement, Eedo.

So, to your point, it seems you are scared to publicize your joy in here, which is the characteristic of Cigaal-Shiidaad. :D

Rahima   

This man's conviction in Salafi Caqiida I suspect will not be marred by his political ambitions.

A man who values the salafi caqida truly is to be praised in my books. A man who does not jump on the bandwagon of tribalists to put down sincere Muslims is to be praised in my books.

Call me a cynical git with pessimism to his teeth, but my dear fellow, al though I welcome the developments in Mogadishu; I am weary of what will come of this when the euphoria vanishes. We have seen this in Afghanistan—even go back to the death of Omar (the waqtul Fitnah). Power is dangerous especially one that is mixed with religion. Unless that is you have a society that is trained in away that directs whole to one objective. You might say the objective here is to bring forth a semblance of peace! But then what; we have peace where do we go from here?

If these are not the words and concerns of a sincere individual then I do now know what sincere means.

Brother I agree almost completely on every point and concerns raised by Sophist. The only ones that I reserve my judgement on are those that I have no knowledge of, and even if I did, it would simply be a disagreement, a differing of opinions, not a reason to label the brother as a tribalist or one who is apprehensive about Islamic developments back home. I wonder what this makes me in your books my good brother? ;)

So, to your point, it seems you are scared to publicize your joy in here, which is the characteristic of Cigaal-Shiidaad.

Why? Because I hate this god-forsaken place. I’m not even really sure why I’m even writing here, no actually I do know, I’m avoiding getting my work done, but that is beside the point :D . Whether or not I express my thoughts here or there matters not really. One thing you can’t accuse me of is having any characteristics of cigaal-shiidaad as far as this corner of SOL is concerned, I was the only one publicly in favour of the courts as the better option for Mogadishu, long before you even found your way to SOL icon_razz.gif .

^Your long time advocacy for the Islamic Courts is one thing, and avioding here to express your jubilation is another thing, but I am surprised that you are not brave enough to admit the tribalism of that man [sophist], which I ultimately believe is what gives you the attribution of Cigaal-Shiidaad!

I am afraid you pass that coward traits to me as your son, of the Eedonimo section! :D

Rahima   

So because i disagree with your royal highness, i am a coward?

Waa yahay young man, this is recorded!

Have a nice day, and any cowardly traits you may have are certainly not from me. I am as brave as a Halima comes thank-you very much.