Sign in to follow this  
IL CAPO

SPANISH COACH IN HENRY RACE ROW!

IL CAPO   

Madrid - Spain's national coach Luis Aragones could be in trouble for referring to Arsenal's French striker Thierry Henry as a "N!gger".

The outburst came during a training session on Wednesday as Aragones prepared his team for Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Belgium.

According to journalists watching the training session, Aragones was trying to gee up Henry's Arsenal team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes and shouted across to him: "Tell the N!gger (Henry) you are better than him. Tell him from me".

Reyes, who has teamed up to great effect with Henry in the English Premiership this season, played down the comment afterwards.

"It was just a laugh. This is something concerning the team and should remain among us."

The chain-smoking Aragones, 65 and with 1 000 games under his belt as a player and coach, has a reputation as a man not known for being a shrinking violet and is known as the Sage of Hortaleza.

But he does not have a reputation as a racist.

Former African player of the year, Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o, played under him for several seasons at Mallorca and has had only good things to say about his former mentor.

IL CAPO   

Related Articles

Coach in Henry race row

Madrid - Spain coach Luis Aragones drew criticism in the country's press on Thursday for his alleged racist comments about French striker Thierry Henry.

Aragones' remarks to forward Jose Antonio Reyes about his Arsenal team-mate during a Spanish training session led sports paper As to venture that the veteran coach had gone "way too far".

"He chose inadequate words, particularly inadequate ones when they are seen and heard by the millions who hide behind TV cameras," the paper said in an editorial. "Speaking like this in public can be scandalous and can result in unpredictable consequences."

Leading newspaper El Pais said Aragones, "had recovered his particular taste for putting on a show."

Aragones was seen to push his forehead against Reyes' on Wednesday while haranguing the striker as the national team was preparing this weekend's World Cup qualifier against Belgium.

He was quoted by As using an expletive and referring to Henry in racist terms.

The comments, which were broadcast on Spanish TV although some channels later chose to edit them out, drew defences from both coach and player.

'I didn't mean to annoy anyone

"I didn't mean to annoy anyone, I just made a comment to Reyes to motivate him. I have to take care of my players and find the right way to get the best out of them" Aragones was quoted as saying by another sports daily Marca.

"I consider myself as a citizen of the world and have got lots of black friends. I don't believe that anyone would take it badly because I didn't want to insult or belittle anyone."

Reyes also dismissed the incident, saying Aragones' words shouldn't be taken seriously.

"I know when he is joking and when he isn't. He was shouting and also speaking to me in a low voice, so I can tell you he was joking," Reyes told reporters.

Aragones, who has taken charge of 757 Spanish league matches during a 30-year coaching career, has acquired a reputation for his sharp tongue and unorthodox way of dealing with players.

In an incident while in charge of Mallorca, he leapt off the bench to shake Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o vigorously after he had been substituted.

Aragones took charge of the national team in July following the resignation of Inaki Saez. Saturday's game against the Belgians will be his fourth in charge. So far, he has won one and drawn two.

WingA   

the guy is just mad if you ask me coz reyes is seen laughing coz he couldnt believe what was coming out that mouth!!

so, gooners?? whos a better?? lool..

IL CAPO   

in my opinion..

it is disrespectful to even mention Reyes' name in the same breath with Henry..because at the moment Titi is the best striker in the world while Reyes is a new to the scene.

i will even go as far as saying Henry together with Ronaldinho are the best players in the world right now and i am sure many of you will agree with me on this.

P.S i bet one of the two will win the golden ball come december.

Peace.

IL CAPO   

I wonder if you would still be laughing had it been Djibril Cisse?

i guess now i understand why Titi aleways gets so fired up everytime he plays against the most boring team in the Premier Lge.LooooooooooooL.

Do you still remember the second goal of his hattrick at highbury last season..Oooouuuccchhh!

What a Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal. :D:D

N.O.R.F   

Yes i would, even if it was about me :D

I see u only have a short memory, who scored the fastest hat trick in the prem and against who?

IL CAPO   

Originally posted by Luis Garcia:

Yes i would, even if it was about me
:D

I see u only have a short memory, who scored the fastest hat trick in the prem and against who?

Robbie Fowler against the Gooners at Anfield ;) in less than 5 minutes or so but what did you win that year? NOTHINGGGGGGGGGGG! :D

While us the whole world knows what we have achieved last season and it was last season which i am referring to Mr Luis Garcia!

don't forget we even won Championship at the same ground you call "Home" just like we did to Man Utd,Spurs(twice) and who else LIVERPOOL :D .

we are comfortably sitting at the top of the table while you are languishing in mid table icon_razz.gif .

remember one thing..Never has a nick name been more appropriate than now for the GUNNERS and we are gunning for everything RED including you know who :D .

N.O.R.F   

aha, i see i have a new arsenal fan to wind up after Benayaal left this site due to constant arsenal battering :D

i shall deal with you when i have more time!

1 man team!

Regardless of what he said Thiery Henri is the best player in the world right now, on the top of that he makes the best passes all the time. Go Gunners! and they said i don't about my soccer!