Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Carrying your mothers name!

Kulmiye   

I was having a discussion with a sister view days ago and she was ranting about how is there so many women running around with the " feminist ax" to cut all things that perpetrate women as less inferior to men- yet in most cases women pick the last name of their spouse- even though she is a single mother and raises that child on her own, in most often that child will carry his fathers family name. So my question to guys is should a sister name her child after his/her mother/grandmother. Example- lets say you're Ahmed and your father is Mohamed Hassan- instead it will be Ahmed Xalimo Ali- meaning the child will carry his mothers name instead of his father.

calling someone by their mothers name .. implies that he/she is a b@st@rd .. in somali culture anyway.

nin lagu dilay baan aqaanaa .. markuu nin kale ugu yeedhay ina heblaayo

Balo, waryaada marka ugu horeysa there is no such thing called b-a-s-t-a-r-d ama w-a-c-i-l period, every child has a father and mother,ka soco. If you didn't know yet i have a news for you, If you are a Muslim and you die the name that is going to be burried is not your father;s name but Your Mother's name, So nothing is wrong with taking your mother's name. Maalin wacan.

Aaliyyah   

^lol laychee you sound like my ayeeyo. God bless you smile.gif

I heard a hadith where we are all going to carry our mother's names in the day of judgment Allahu yaclam.

btw it is not Islamic to carry your mother's name at least not in this dunya. All the companions took their father's names, so did the prophets...except prophet Isa ofcourse.

in the islamic deen innovations or bidca are haraam. You can not just come up with what you want. Clearly in the Quran it says that allah swt completed our deen for us.

lets not contemplate whether we should take our mother's name....it was never custom in Islam and I don't think it should start now.

salaam

Blessed   

Example- lets say you're Ahmed and your father is Mohamed Hassan- instead it will be Ahmed Xalimo Ali- meaning the child will carry his mothers name instead of his father.

Shouln't it be Axmed Xaliimo Cutiya Kiin Basra oo ah reer Baxsan Mulaaxo?

Cabdow   

Su’aal aya waxaan ka horeysa ba. Is it even permitted in Islam to do so?

A Sheikh by the name of Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid answered this question in Islam Q&A website, where he said that!

The child must be named after his father even if the father is deceased or divorced, etc., even if he does not take care of the child or see him at all. It is utterly haraam to name a child after anyone other than his father, except in one case, which is when the child is born as the result of adultery (Allaah forbid). In this case the child should be named after his mother and it is not permissible to name him after his father.

Wallahu aclam!

Aaliyyah   

canjeex mashallah that makes sense. But, am not sure abt when the child borns out of wedlock, why does it have to be named after the mom?? I mean the guy is to blame too..just a thought!

salaam

Cabdow   

Good thought, maybe you should go to that website and ask the Sheikh why that is!

But in my opinion, i think out of the wedlock, the woman has the choice/right to either say yes or no to the invetation. So maybe that's why if she accepts it, it becomes hers to own!

Aaliyyah   

But in my opinion, i think out of the wedlock, the woman has the choice/right to either say yes or no to the invetation. So maybe that's why if she accepts it, it becomes hers to own!

In my opinion they are both to blame equally. We can not blame the woman only, that is sexist. He has the choice to say "no I will not get involved in haraam relationships" it takes two to produce illegitimate child.

salaam

Cabdow   

We can sit here all day and give eachothers opionions (which btw, we shouldn't when it comes to Islam) but at the end of the day, only a Sheikh would know or have the answer to your question, good luck!

Cabdow   

Allah says in the Qur'an:

"Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allah…" [al-Ahzaab 33:5].

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

"Allah has cursed the one who claims to belong to someone other than his father." (Reported by Imaam Ahmad and others).

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

"Whoever claims knowingly to belong to someone other than his father will be denied Paradise." (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim, Fath, no. 3982). He also said: "Whoever claims to belong to someone other than his father, will be cursed by Allah, the angels and all the people, and Allaah will not accept any deeds or excuses from him on the Day of Resurrection." (Reported by Muslim, may Allah have mercy on him, in his Saheeh, no. 2433).

Narrated from Abu Dharr, who heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say:

"There is no one who knowingly calls himself after someone other than his father, but he is guilty of Kufr"

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3371; Muslim, 61).

Hope that helped or atleast answered some of your questions!