Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

It feels like a pinch

SeeKer   

Anyone who knows me, knows of my advocacy for health. I talked to a somali friend the other day about a program I wanted to start in the two months and my friend told me ,"That is ceeb!".

But, after reading an article yesterday about the emergence of a new strain of this virus, I feel the need to pursue this in spite of what lies ahead.

I am talking about nothing other than testing for STDs and HIV/AIDS. Everyone who has been to a physical has had this questioned posed......"Would you like to test for STDs?" How many of us have frowned and with full confidence (after rationalizing that I can't possibly have any STDs) said NOPE .

A relative of mine is infected with this disease and so are her kids because her husband brought it home and she didn't know about it till it was too late.

Speaking strictly about MN, the latest stats are grounds for a grassroots movement especially among the immigrant communities.

Between 2003 and 2007, the number of foreign-born persons living with HIV/AIDS in Minnesota increased from

692 to 1,126, a 63 percent increase. The largest increase occurred among those from African countries (68 percent), followed by those from Latin America (53 percent)
... ... ... ...

According to the 2000 Census, populations of color make up 11% of the population and 54% of new HIV infections. This disparity is especially evident among women. Women of color accounted for 74 percent of new infections among women in 2007, and this pattern has been sustained over the past five years. African American (22%) and African-born (32%) women account for over half the new infection reported among women.

Source

Stats like this are hard to ignore especially if you are a woman. Aside from the usual safe campaign that we normally see, I believe that it is important that before any wedding ceremony, both parties be protected by mutually agreeing to have their blood tested.

A woman who is infected is most likely to transmit the infection to her unborn child and since statistically women are showing an increase in incidence I think they would make a great target group. Plus everyone listens to the lady of the house/heart.

I would love to target the youth too, but I think when my friend said ceeb to my idea it was because with the youth, the STDs or HIV/AIDS are procured through means that are taboo to talk about. I am brainstorming on how to delicately address this issue but till then what say you?

Are you up for spreading the word? By spreading the word to even one other person, you might be saving a life. smile.gif

PS:- US resettlement programs used to deny immigration to refugees when they are found with AIDS, but due to an humanitarian reasons, the fed allowed six sites to resettle HIV positive immigrants. The state of MN has two of those sites and have resettled 183 HIV positive refugees.

Have been tested before and dont mind getting tested again. Important thing for me is to know I am healthy and havent picked a disease which could be transmitted to others.

By the way Hepatitis B is more prevalent in Somali community and that is spread more easily than HIV and also has chronic consequences. Education and precaution needs to be emphasised more on these 2 diseases.

Best of luck with the program. Stay brave.

SeeKer   

WOL sasa sis? Long time bila kukuona? Ramadhan Kareem kama sitakuona kabla saum.

HEP B/HEP C have been issues for a while and I think the clinics are doing a good job screening people on these disease but I will look up latest stats and ask around about the education literature out there.

Excellent to hear you are all for testing!

So my question is this, does Hep B/c causes AID or HIV? And what can of diseases are associated with Hep B/C?

I know quite a few somalis who told me that they Hep B/C. thanx

^ you sound like thabo mbeki right there, the two have nothing to do with each other.

Seeker, good luck, knowledge and health are nothing to shy away from. unfortunately, for too many people are under the false assumption that the only way to contract HIV is through sex and you now how somalis feel about discussing that subject.

SeeKer   

Originally posted by rudy-Diiriye:

So my question is this, does Hep B/c causes AID or HIV? And what can of diseases are associated with Hep B/C?

Simply put Hep C/B are liver disease that are caused by a virus. They are usually contracted via exchange of blood or body fluids, which can happen even when getting body piercing with an infected tool. Hep B/C doesn't cause HIV/AIDS but someone with HIV/AIDS is susceptible to contracting HEP B/C. Finally disease associates with HEP B/C are all to do with the liver thus cirrhosis and liver cancer are common ailments. There is HEP B vaccination but no HEP C vaccination.

I simplified the information but there is a wealth of info if you look. Hope it helps. smile.gif

Good Luck for I know this will generate a backlash from those in our community who rather convince themselves that ppl arent doing the deed. Somalis are more promisques than EVER. I mean it is not a taboo anymore amongst youngesters. And what's more, more and more guys are mixing with other races in the clubs and other Godforsaken places but they're marrying Somali girls in the end. So I wonder how many people are infected and are carriers who dont even know themselves?

SeeKer   

I think the youth are more open to talk these days but I don't think they will be open in front of their parents and peers. C&H, I know what you mean about the clubs and all. Its absolutely unnerving when you think about how many people get married each month in MN that are within the ages of 18-30.

And what's more, more and more guys are mixing with other races in the clubs and other Godforsaken places but they're marrying Somali girls in the end.

Without making it a gender war, as for as I know, the most shocking incidents as of late both involve somali women for the most part.

**The Rosevelt High school prositution case was somali girls alone...no somali men involved

**The 300 ******* infants at HC medical Center

Seeker,

I was just watching a discussion form on CNN which they mentioned there is a rapid testing now done for HIV, that does not require needles or any blood taken to test...And you know within 20 minutes your status, definitely something to look into.

But first thing you need to start with since you are passionate about this, is begin at home, have everyone in your family and friends tested and that is how the movement would begin for you.

Good luck and Insha Allah many more lives will be saved.

bee bye SS

C&H Posted:

Somalis are more promisques than EVER. I mean it is not a taboo anymore amongst youngesters. And what's more, more and more guys are mixing with other races in the clubs and other Godforsaken places but they're marrying Somali girls in the end.

Midan yari waa noo dhamaysay. xaal baa ku qabtay ina abti.

Cabdow   

^ Waa iska caadi sxb, we already know its the other way round, but ajanabiga meeshan soo gala bey ka tiirin hablaha... *ilma adeer waa intii istaqaan ba horey loo yiri* :D

more and more guys are mixing with other races in the clubs and other Godforsaken places but they're marrying Somali girls in the end.

Oh! No you didn't :mad:

Ps. Awareness in this field is very much always needed, Good luck spreading the message yaa Seeker!