Sign in to follow this  
Jaabir

Why does women adorn (beautify) themselves so much?

Jaabir   

two philosophers were once debating an answer for this question..

Why does women adorn (beautify) themselves so much?

The first philosopher said..

Women adorn themselves to attract men's attention..

The second said..

I disagree, women are so keen in beautifying themselves simply because they want to make other women jealous.

The debate heated up between the first and second philosopher.. until a third philosopher interrupted them and said:

Fella’s you are both right, see when a woman adorns herself so much she will definitely attract men’s attention and consequently that will make other women jealous!!

Now if you ask any woman the very same question she is sure to say that she doesn’t adorn herself to attract a man’s attention nor to make a woman jealous….

So my question to all ya all ladies is…

Which philospher do u agree with? and if none then tell us why???

Pucca   

G'evening

i dont agree wit either of them, cuz i aint gonna get nuthin outta makin another woman jealous, as for attracting a man's attention, thats just sad... a girl who has to put on pounds of make-up is only gonna hold a guy's attention for a couple of seconds (okay maybe more than that but u get wat i'm sayin right... he''s only in it for the made-up person not the actual person). Now if and when i put on make-up its only to highlight my natural beauty, and that is most definitely for myself, but then again the make-up thing isn't really big on my everyday must-do list.

ciao

Hmmmm. Interesting. Make-up in my opinion is Fabulo, simply because it accents mother natures beauty but at the same time finishes the flawless image one might have ( eg. Moi....{partially kidding})the last thing make-up is great for is to help out otherwise distateful looking individuals (jkz).

Im playing make-up is just another way for females to waste immense amounts of green stuff. Maybe she's born with it, NAH it's Maybelline, Revlon,Cover girl,max factor,M.A.C,IMAN, oh well you get my drift. :D

----------------arriverdeci..wun (tdotz finezt)

RIGHTTTTTTT....You know what, without offending anyone, that is a load of crap. We all know that women beautify themselves to be conspicuous. “Now if and when i put on make-up its only to highlight my natural beauty,” Ecstasy, honey, lets be real. You most definitely don’t put on make up when you are sitting home, watching “young and the restless” eaten bonbons. You put on makeup whenever you leave the house. Now let’s ask, why do you put it on when you leave the house? :confused: So you can be attractive…..Who are you trying to attract? Men…(it sure as hell ain’t women…unless.. :eek: ) why are you attracting men? So you can someday get married and roll a baby carriage....Am I right, :D or can you help me fill in the blanks.

I don’t care who you are, whenever you (a woman) leave the house, you don’t leave looking jacked up; you leave looking like a sensation. :cool: Why? Don’t even give me that “I do it because of myself” :rolleyes: if that was the case, than you would be dressed up at home, every single day, of every single month, of every single year…whether your cleaning, cooking, chillin, Whatever it is you do at home...You do it because you want to be Extraordinary, impressive, inspiring, striking, etc...

If we are to be realistic, 99.9% of women who put on makeup, put it on to (A) attract men, (B) to look stunning © to be envied furthermore, to be resented and to receive compliments from either gender. Sooo who ever says “I simply put it on just for me and myself only” is full of SH*T (No offense). I put on makeup to be gorgeous, or as some of you ladies called it “highlight mother nature’s superior looks”. Whatever it is, I put it on to look good damn it, and I’m love’in it. Soooo, getting back to my point, I believe both philosophers are accurate; moreover, the third philosopher hit it on the mark....

Pucca   

let’s ask, why do you put it on when you leave the house? So you can be attractive…..Who are you trying to attract? Men…(it sure as hell ain’t women…unless.. ) why are you attracting men? So you can someday get married and roll a baby carriage....Am I right, or can you help me fill in the blanks.

you couldn't possibly be further away from the truth, attract men, my behind!!!, i aint got time for them, baby? marriage? that'll come ten years from now. And then i wont need make-up to attract men, according to surveys 75% of men perfer women who dont wear make-up. A woman without make-up has a lot more confidence in her natural beauty,

and i sure as hell am one fine confident woman! call me conceited, but thats the simple truth.

And sweety all that's in my handbag(assuming i even carry one) is a lip gloss,I can honestly say that i have never put any make-up on my face. All them blushes, foundations, eyeliners, lipcolors , and whatever else women use these days just aint my thing. i'm clumsy with all the eye make-up stuff and as for the foundations, my skin dont need it, i thank god for the clear skin He's given me. so sis dont assume that every girl goes out of her home with pounds of make-up to impress others, some of us walk out without applyin any make-up.

ciao

NGONGE   

Makeup is one of the many things women use to make themselves look good. Some, like the sister above, don’t need to use makeup but they still do other things to look good. They fix their hair, they dress in a nice way and they make sure that their faces look good (with or without makeup). It’s human nature to try to stand out from the crowd. Women do it more than men. Most do it for selfish reasons. Not for men or other women. The gender does not matter as long as everyone looking thinks you look good.

As for makeup, that’s the best invention ever. Every time a father (or mother) is presented with an ugly baby girl, his first prayer is “ Thank god for makeup”.

:cool:

Senora   

MZ.Practical I agree 100%.....

It is a load of crap when someone says that they wear make-up for themselves.....you say your not confident?..Why is that?...Because your not drop-dead gorgeous?...and why does that matter?...because you dont get the , second glance over the shoulder,or that envious look?...

Only the trully confident doesn't get moved by compliments or insults?......does it make you feel better when someone tells you " you look pretty today" ..."oh that color looks good on you"...."Oh you have such smooth skin"..."that eye shadow color is gorgeous, where did you get it from"....you get the drift...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

I think its natural for every woman to adorn herself ,then again it depends on what kind of beautification you are talking about.To me , taking care of myself comes to : taking a shower everyday + hydrating my face with a cream + using a lip balm and thats it , I just go out without wearing any make-up and keep it simple even for celebrations.

Women tend to wear make-up occasionnally for weddings , promotions at work or guests coming into their houses , proms and so on. The reason for doing it? I dont know , maybe because the rest of the women are wearing make-up , so they wouldnt look like the ugly ducks :D because its rare to see a lady with make-up on in her own house unless she's spicing things up between her husband and her.

Blessed   

I think the third philosopher got it right, it’s a bit of both. If you ever go to a ladies only wedding you’ll see that it’s as much for other women as it is for men. I mean let us be real ladies, we’ve all been sold the ‘prettiest’ of them all idea; haven’t we.

Appearance is a major influence of how others precieve you and positive feedback from others is the stuff our egos and confidence are made off. I don't care if it's the most insignificat person that compiments me - it give me an instant ego boost. It doesn't always has to come from an outer source... I don't have a problem with hooting my own horn and make myself look good for me and my telvision screen- I think it's healthy :D

Also, I think of make up as an art form that can only be appreciated by women. Men don’t usually look at a girl’s complexion or even face to be attracted to her. I think they’re more into the spherical stuff – you boys agree?

It isn’t really about the shades or the colours you put on but what it does for your over-all look. Make up doesn’t make look beautiful – in fact it can work against you. But when you use it the right proportions it can accentuate what you have naturally.

NGONGE   

I also, view make up as an art form that can only be appreciated by women. Men don’t usually look at a girl’s complexion or even face to be attracted to her. I think they’re more into the spherical stuff – you boys agree?

Only if the “spherical stuff” is as round and beautiful as the ones the lady in your aviator has, Ameenah. :rolleyes:

Eyes, eyes, I’m talking about eyes, you suspicious people. icon_razz.gif

Blessed   

Eyes, eyes, I’m talking about eyes, you suspicious people.

And my name is Michael :D

Kaftan aside. Men and women perceive beauty differently. Whilst we pay attention to the little details you men tend to get stuck on the more 'rounded' features.

There are exceptions of course, I've heard of brothers with feet fetishes and 'stuff' :D

*adjusts her niqaab*

NGONGE   

I was being serious. I’m an eye, man. Always have been.

I remember a few (heh, a few!) years back I was walking around the city centre with a classmate from university when a Muslim sister bumped into me by accident. She was wearing a cabaayah and had her face covered with her niqab. All I could see was her eyes. My English friend, coming from a rural town and not being used to such scenes, was surprised and asked me if she covered herself like that because she was “ugly”. Now, my usual response would have been NO, she’s more beautiful than most women because she’s keeping her cafaaf, etc, etc, etc...But to tell the truth, and maybe it’s because I was young and single (and slightly unruly) at the time, I thought she was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. Those eyes were just stunning!

But, yeah, I agree with you that some men go for the obvious things. Still, I’m yet to understand the Somali fascination with Xaada (sp?).

Macalin   

ut, yeah, I agree with you that some men go for the obvious things. Still, I’m yet to understand the Somali fascination with Xaada

------GONGE(magac xumaa!)....am told sxb,(sida la ii sheegay yaah! ;) that xaada...the soft,goldish ones-tend to 'stand'---when and during the xodxodisho episode(s) :D Off coz, any man who can make HER xaad 'stand'..is of coz a MAN--or so the theory was XPLAINED to me!

Meenah!

There are exceptions of course, I've heard of brothers with feet fetishes and 'stuff'

Stuff=Navel piercings?--am taking a wild guess here! ;)

Anyways-who cares why women adorn emsleves for reason A or B or C---Zo Long as she B E A U-TIFUL--I DONT GIVE A HOOOT! :D

NGONGE   

Here is where my Somali limitations show me up again. You’ll have to help me with the meaning of “xodxodisho episode”, man.

:confused: