Sign in to follow this  
Jumatatu

What will be the role of the International peacekeepers?

Jumatatu   

The president of Somalia has requested 20,000 AU troops to help him disarm and bring peace back to Somalia. The question here rises how will this be implented? Where will it be deployed and who are they disarming?

It is wudely accepted all the warlords in Somalia are part and parcel of the current Parliament. And the reason why they were included in a parliament and had the upper hand in nominating other members was nothing else but to bring together the armed militias who had ruled Somalia through the barrel of the gun over the last 14 years to come together and form a government of their own. Among them they elected C/llahi Yusuf as a president . Now since all the armed militias are headed by the warlords in the parliament why do we need International troops to disarm them.? Why cant they among themselves come to an agrrememnt to merge and their mitias create a National armed forces or police force among them, and the excess number create a vocational traning for them as an alternative to being armed.

One of the opposing factors of an International peace keeping troops called by C/llahi Yusuf will be, since the armed militias within Somalia are divided into clan , sub-clan linage. Which militia will be disarmed and wich militia will be left intact? Will the forces in Puntland be disarmed or left alone since they are loyal to and trusted by the president? And those of Muse Sudi, Catto, Barre Hirale, Sheikh Yusuf Indhacadde etc. be disarmed because of their probable hostility towards the president and his allies in government and outside influence.

Furthermore the calling for Foreign troops is not a legislation which was passed by the parliament yet the President with his delegation which included the Speaker of the parliament went to Addis to meet the AU on the question of International Troops. Could this be the many of the decission which the president will make and side step the parliament? One thing for sure though is the fact the implementation of peacekeeping troops in Somalia need not only a Parliament Bill but the acceptance of the warlords. And it will certainly not work if it turns out to be a unilateral decisson by the president.

Say it, don't spray it, juma! You're against the international troops, because it would severely enhance Abdullahi Yusuf's grip on Somalia. And you rather die than seeing Abdullahi Yusuf actually accomplishing his mission and be hailed as a hero for it. Don't you juma? These foreign troops will be installed to disarm and guard strategical locations like airports, ports and government buildings. It is a positive step and as a Somali who's eager to see a frontrunning nation, I expect no less from the new Somali president.

Regarding the fact that we should trust the Mog militia leaders in finding a peaceful agreement. We have witnessed the past 14 years that nothing will work to pacify Mog militia without a whip. Also it's regrettable how a smart fellow like you seems to believe that the militias to be disarmed are fit to be incorporated in the new Somali security forces. I ask you dearly, do you think Somalia is like London by any chance?

Before you bite me in the lip, I'm not to happy about foreign troops in my country, but I feel it is totally nessecary. A nessecary evil to make it crystal, if I might add. Therefore I expect them to leave Somalia, as soon as a sufficient number of Somali security forces is ready to do it's job.

Bey mate!

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Nationalist:

Say it, don't spray it, juma! You're against the international troops, because it would severely enhance Abdullahi Yusuf's grip on Somalia.

You are very much right pal. I dont want C/llahi Yusuf to have the upper hand in not only dictating the role of the international peace keeping troops but also the formation of any Nationcal security force. It is an open secret the idea of empowering C/llahi Yusuf will be the benefit of a particular clan and I have every right to question this. After all this is supposed to be a National reconciliation and hence should be impartial. In simple words I will not lay down my weapons while my foes are still having it. Now C/llahi is a president of Somalia his steps and approach in this particular aspect will be under scrutiny and infact dictate his policy and attempt to create a Nation.

Regarding the fact that we should trust the Mog militia leaders in finding a peaceful agreement.

You have to saxiib for the sake of national unity, remember they were the core who elected him. Now whether he is seeking troops to enforce his power on them now that he has their mandate is a question to be seen.

It is an open secret the idea of empowering C/llahi Yusuf will be the benefit of a particular clan and I have every right to question this. After all this is supposed to be a National reconciliation and hence should be impartial

You have nothing to fear but fear itself bro. This clan you mention wont have more control than others. I think you are jumping way too early brother.

NGONGE   

Heh. Juma, they're not going to address your points because they really can't. It's all up in the air, saaxib.

Jumatatu   

I noticed that sxb, if they could argue on the points raised and acknowledge that it could be a deterring factor we could probably debate. But they are coming out as Mr.Straw defending the Iraqi War... :D:D

Rokko   

Juma, don't fear any clan. Cabdulahi Yusuf was elected by the MP's and if can't do his job, Somalia will fail and we will have to start over na'mean.

Jumatatu bro ... i ADORE ya good heartedness and the way you reach out for the SAKE of the Somali nation ,but when ppl deliberately choose NOT to address the REAL issue of the (YET to come ) foreign troops.

It is obvious the A/Yusuf cheer leaders ( blinded by hatered ) prefer to keep daydreaming about the DAY they´ll get the upper hand.

You sure wonder if they will EVER get over it :D

I find this very funny !!

Juma, don't fear any clan.

says WHO ......

:D:D:D

I am against bringing any foriegn troops to our soil. I see the need for disarming the different militias; However I think there are better ways of pacifying the country and bringing the different clans together.

Wiilo   

Libaax-Sankataabte sxb i agree with u, yeah, there are other ways of diarming the clans/Sub-clans in Somalia...........Well, now so many ppl are happy the fact that there is a new Somali government, so there's absolutly 50% of chance to diarm the So called clans in Somalia now, then ever.........

Illaahi Qayr haka dhigo;;;;;;;;;;;

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:

Jumatatu   

^^ Like asking each warlord in the parliament to bring his own militias to fold and account for the arms they have. The parliament to establish a Somali police force responsible for overseeing this implementation with the assurance that the warlords will comply with it. Otherwise what is the use of the charter which they signed in this reconciliatory parlliament. In this process the small amount of hoods who are not under the control of the warlords will be eleimated and they will be forced to disarm by a Somali Police forced established by the parliament. The participation of International peace keeping troops will be required here to train and rehabitate the Somali security to carry out its duty.

Anything other than that like 20,000 AU troops questions what role they will carry out and the animosity they can create.

Wiilo   

What better ways???

Well, u good question, but Jumatatu said whatever i want to say exactly.................

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:

BN   

President A. Yusuf can only succeed if he pratices compromise and work with the parliament and parliamentarians in a cooperative manner.

And since factions/groups are against this AU force due to their 'Afrikaness', why not request peacekeepers from Islamic nations? We are apart of the Arab League and OIC, are we not? And since Sh. Aweys believes we are arabs, I think he and the courts will be on side. :D Djibouti has also stated it is willing to send troops to Somalia.

The president will be in Egypt in the next couple of days, let us see if he requests more then financial aid. Possible countries for a disarmament force:

Egypt

Djibouti

Libya

Yemen

Kuwait/UAE(do they have armies?) :D

Sudan

Oman

Pakistan

Bangladesh