Sign in to follow this  
nacayb-qabiil

Question?

Question to my fellow brothers/sisters? I really would like to ask you a question which I was trying to find an answer for a quit a long time, but getting the unswere was uneasy task. The question is, is there any way that we as Somalis can eradicate the whole idea of tribalism? please let me know, because we are suffering today, Why? becasue of Qabiiil!! in order for us to solve the problem, we have to find the roots of the problem first. I always use to think when old generation passed away, the Qabil will be over, but I find out that is not going to be the case, Ciyaalkii baa qabyaaladii bartay, so if you have an unswer please let me know. wad maraqsantihiin..

Jafarel.   

A lil forum like this can not AND will not come up with an answer to your question sxb. Rather, a 'Think Tank' type institution with the resources to fund extensive research/s and a government (i.e functioning one) to implement its recommendations might be a better way of dealing with the problem.

Until such a government and instutition are in place, the ciyaal will continue to baro qabyaalad......

And Allah knows best..

Upon you be peace...

Taleexi   

Solution to the tribal predicament is known. However, since we are ignorant people driven by greed and self-interest, usability of tribalism preventive procedures are long way off. In any rate we aint ready yet

Salaan...

To some, qabiil is their supreme unseen idol. They subconsciously worship it. They may not know it, but the signs are all there. They may deny it, but their actions speak for themelves. It was finely illustrated on a few occassions during the civil war; the cries of "yaa Muslim ahoow"'s silence was deafening. However in the same crowd and when it went, "Yaa hebel ahoow." Inta kacday Eebbe baa og.

To others, qabiil is a combination of social security and insurance. It conveniently pays for the crimes some fellow clan members commit. Instead of each for himself, we have this collective guiltiness and happiness. Should a member of tolka la dhaawaco, "yaa hebel ahee" ayaa maqlee. Should a member kill another, "qaaraanka hala bixiyo." It takes the responsibility away from the individual, burdening it to "insured" tol.

It may have some aspects of positive contribution to society, but as we had seen in the last couple of hundred years, its wickedness outweights its applauded positiveness.

Everybody asserts, "I am not qabyaaladist." If no one is, then who isn't? First sign is to personally admit and reflect. Each should ask particular questions, such as, "Do I feel the right to fume because a person insulted my clan."

"Am I agitated to retort back?"

"Do I feel happy because a stranger had praised unknown clan founder?"

If we are honest to ourselves when answering these questions, it then begins. First, we have to be honest with ourselves.

Some people take advantage of this clan "insurance," conveniently going to tolka each time uu qofka wax kas u sameeyo, for that person knows after all the "insurance" pays. Sometimes qaaraan is good, other times it is complete bulshuud.

For this, we need a radical, drastic change of the way we collectively think and behave; a complete revolutional change. I don't think it will happen, especially in our lifetime.

The closest we ever came to qabiil-free was "ciyaal xaafada" phenomenon. "Ciyaal xaafada" mentality did really change the way those ciyaals thought and behaved; had it continued to generations, it would have been a beginning; alas, it was short-changed by the civil war.

And by the way, kusoo dhawoow golahaan.

Cara.   

Interesting observations MMA.

Could you elaborate on what you meant by the ciyaal xaafada phenom.?

nacayb-qabiil,

The only way to combat qabiilnimo is to bring up kids to be like you. Don't worry, the kids today do not have the deep-rooted qabyaalad that our parents and grandparents suffer from. They play-act, but mostly they don't pay attention to the "insurmountable barriers" our parents took for granted. A quick review of my younger sister's friends shows her closest friends are a remarkably complete cross-section of Somali tribes. Same goes for my little brother. It's the wave of the future.

Xoogsade   

MMA, I could take the option of silence although I don't think keeping my quite will make me a nontribalist if I was one to begin with. Same way again, One can be a biased person who keeps his quite whereas another who speaks and seeks to reason with others could be a nontribalist. Just because a person challenges another while keeping to a respectful line, doesn't mean that person who spoke is a tribalist. It is the method and the content of the person's contribution that define who is and what is a tribalist but not writing to someone a reply. If peoeple don't correct each other, who will? Definitely, it is more dignified to refrain from participating in discussions of tribal nature(somali politics), but the temptation to respond is there if you visit and you see wax kaa yaabiyo saaxib.

I suggest to every decent person who feels they have got something to say, to reply and get involved without going beyond acceptable moral boundaries.

Waxaa laga yaabaa qof xumaan lahaa oo cuqdad qaadi lahaa inuu ku farxo qof kale oo qabiil kale ka dhashay oo caddaalad ku hadlaayo markuu arko. In that case, he may overlook the foolishness of some.