Sign in to follow this  
Naasir

What happened to the EDUCATED Somali Women

Muslimah   

Bismillahi Ar-Rahmani Ar-Rahim

All praises are due to Allaah. We praise Him, we seek His help and His forgiveness.

I find this a thoroughly fascinating topic. Jazak Allaahu Khair Naasir for posing your question. Here's my spin on it:

Marriage or educated: which comes first. It all depends on what you think an education is. Many ppl have degrees but aren't educated. Since when does college equate education? A person doesn't need to go to college or university in order to be educated ex. Malcolm X, may Allaah have mercy on him. College or university teaches a person a trade ex. medicine, engineering etc. There are many ignorant ppl wit degrees walking around.

So then what is an education? Let's look at the lives of those pious muslims of the past. The muslims of the past began their education by learning their deen. Who'da thought? After the memorization of the quran by the age of 10 or so, i'm not exagerrating, they'd learn a trade. Physics, Chemistry these are arabic words and these sciences were studied and composed by the muslims in the 7-10 century while Europe was still looming in the dark ages. You'll be surprised with what muslims brought to the scientific world. Hence, true education is knowledge what brings the person closer to his Lord. Does that mean professions in medicine, law, history etc are meaningless? OF COURSE NOT. The better the muslim, the better the doctor, lawyer or historian etc.

Ok. Enough about that. What about women you ask? Let me clarify something for everyone. In fact I want everyone to read the next sentence out loud. Heaven is under the mother's feet. What is the status of that mother if heaven is UNDER her feet? Alhamdulillah, I am a woman. To be "just" a mother is the most honourable position a woman can be ever given.

But... but... you say: Woman are more than mothers. Women are more than house wives. Of course, the role of the woman is diverse but first and foremost she is a mother. Aisha , may Allaah be pleased with her, was in her time the equivalent of a modern day doctor. Also many of the male sahabah came to her to learn and for her to answer their questions pertaining to Islam.

How about the somali woman then? Exactly why is she uneducated? The somali woman has 2 problems, lack of education in her deen and for her dunya. I find lack of knowledge of the deen is the bigger problem because not only will the repercussions be seen in this life but also in the next. An uneducated woman means uneducated children. Big disaster.

Also, we as Muslims suffer from an inferiority complex. If the non-muslims have a lot of money or are living so-called "wonderful" lives, than I ask why is suicide and depression rampant in this society. Our measure of success is different from the non-muslims'. Everything that we do, be it motherhood or neurology, we have to do it with the intention of pleasing our Lord.

So what can we do? First and foremost we need to get out of the mentality that if your married young that's the end of your hopes and dreams. Success does not mean working 9-5, it means using your time for your benefit in this life and the next. I know many many many sisters that are married and are in their schools. I also know many many sisters that have put their work on the back burner to raise their kids. You can also stipulate in your marriage contract that you want to continue your studies and have the option of work.

I want to leave you with this:

It's not how much you make but how you spend it. Like wise, it's not what you learn but how you use your education. We obviously know that the life style of the non-muslims isn't working for them so why should we imiate a nation that is doomed unless they come back to Allaah. Furthermore the idea or even the mere connotation that Islaam in particular is against the advancement of woman is ludicrous. First martyr in Islaam, a woman. Person who learnt most ahadeeth, a woman. First person to accept the call of our beloved Prophet,pbuh, a woman.

I would like to apologize for the length of this post. I would also like to apologize for not directly answering your question naasir. If I have stated anything incorrect, it is from myself and the shaytaan. If I have stated anything good, it is only from Allaah. O Allaah I ask you to accept this from me. Dear reader please say Amin.

Thunder   

Originally posted by Naasir:

what happens as soon as she gets maried(most of them 90% that is)

all the 16 years of education goes out of the window.

It tickles me when Somalis use percentages to make their point. It begs the question what is total of Somali female graduates with masters degrees? And what is the total of those that wasted their sixteen years of educatio by becaming house wifes?

Baashi   

Naasir,

I only know four Somali women who have M. degree and 3 of them work and get paid pretty well. The other one is Italian-educated and couldn't get a job here in US.

From what I gathered, they wish that they could have a "quality" time with their kids and they r always looking for a family member to trust for baby-sitting task!

How lucky are those men who have educated wifes @home.

Imagine urself in their shoes!

1)Ur kids will get help on homework, reading, religion, and wat not!

2)Hospitals..no need for translation their beloved mother would be there reciting their medical history.

3)If need be she can get employed at no time.

Educated ones know and would be thrilled to get them releived off work and let her attend to her beloved children if they have men that can handle the tasks in front of them.

Such a lady deserves a man who respects, helps, and values her talent and tries to find a part time slot so she can keep her talent on track for the family sake.

And u consider that a setback??????

I wouldn't work for somebody else if I could be independent and sure I will be grateful to anyone who let me stay home and let me play with my kids and same time puts bread on my table. Women r same! When it comes to kids they value the time with them.

Housewives! huh it is has bad connatations but how about Mothers! Try to frame ur statements with mothers in it?

I think i have to stop there.

That is my take on ur question.

lol   

Naasir: I haven't read people's posts or ur responses to their criticsm, but this is what i have to say after reading ur first post.

As far as I am concerned, well, I go to school, not because I wanna have a career or because I wanna be on top of the ladder, rather to be able to do my kids' homeworks and able to swing in some cash anytime we run short of it. HOWEVER, that doesn't imply, my education as a waste, I may not be having a career or may not wake up early each morning to go to work, but I would definately make my life worth something. I would engage in community work, extand my wise hands to those in need without having to allure to the stressing demands in the work force.

I do agree however that alot of somali girls, ignore their education after attaining it, but alot of guys need to go through that process all together.

So my two cents would be, " Salaada sey u kala horeyso u kala tukada"... by this I mean, educate the guys first b4 you criticized the educated, phenomenal WOMEN!