Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

The Olympics Thread

N.O.R.F   

Lads and Laddets, its that time again, ahhh the Olympics. The last Olypics i truly enjoyed was Barcelona 1992 as it was the last time in Europe and we could watch at a reasonable hour, not hating on ATL of Sydney, but come on when things happen in Europe they just seem to hol more weight!

Anyway, this is the Olypic thread, plz pass on any infor you feel will do us good, like tips for winner, i have a Ladbrokes just down the road ;) .

Is El-garrouch still around? Will Hali Silasi win gold? Is Kiptonuwi still around? Who will win the 100m? Will there be a British Gold? Will an African Team win the Football yet again? Watch out for an 18year Sudanese 800m runner who comes to Sheff to train every year!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/default.stm

WATCH THE OPENING CEROMONY ON FRIDAY NIGHT

lET THE GAMES BEGIN!

I am tired of the media talking down about the US basketball team, I want to see them kick some a$$ like they should..

The 100M Maurice green all the way, I hope Marion Jones gets spot too.

H   

Good topic Northerner

i was watching the soccer game Ghana Vs Italy man that was a great match fo sho..

Samafal   

I dreaded to see the Somali team and I did at last!! I didnt know I was this patriotic!! Anyways there were an old dude, apparently the coach carrying the flag which was not good as Somalia is Gold winner once and some good athlete should have represented the country! Good luck to them

N.O.R.F   

^^^^really ? :confused: i was watching for 1hr 30 mins and when i leave for 10 mins they decide to walk out? wow, thats gr8 news!

I actually know a former Somali athlete who ran the 800m in Sydney 2000, Ibrahim something was his name but he was based in Washington DC, he came 7th in the final but we were still proud him! Hes retired now!

GO SOMALIA

Samafal   

^^ Its was confusing to every one even to the commentators as countries appeared by the Greek alphabatical order, God knows how it works!!! And yeah the skins are there, lets see what they can do

Gediid   

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^^^really ? :confused: i was watching for 1hr 30 mins and when i leave for 10 mins they decide to walk out? wow, thats gr8 news!

I actually know a former Somali athlete who ran the 800m in Sydney 2000, Ibrahim something was his name but he was based in Washington DC, he came 7th in the final but we were still proud him! Hes retired now!

GO SOMALIA

There's only Abdi Bile in the DC area who I know of but he never ran in the Olympics.

Rainbow,

True, I was well confused too. Happy to see the Somalis' showing their faces though. :cool:

Did u see the lone girl holding the flag for Jibouti? Heart-wrenching I tell ya...brought tears to my eyes. Mansha'Allah. smile.gif

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Rainbow:

I apparently the coach carrying the flag which was not good as Somalia is Gold winner once and some good athlete should have represented the country! Good luck to them

Very good Rainbow, and I wish them the best also in at least achieving a medal..and as you the flag bearer should have been at least someone famous such as ABdi Bile, as he has done in several previous Olympics. Note we have yet to win a medal in the Olympics, Bile only won two World Championships.

Never the less it was heart warming to see the Blue flag among the Flags of nations in Athens tonite. smile.gif

Originally posted by Aeryn Sun:

Did u see the lone girl holding the flag for Jibouti? Heart-wrenching I tell ya...brought tears to my eyes. Mansha'Allah.
smile.gif

I know. Poor Girl. Werent there any other ppl to accompany her in the Entire Country? Such a brave Soul.

Samafal   

^ Really? I missed that bit of Djibouti then..why one athlete only though, are they deprived of sporting capabilties?

Its not just the athletes tho is it? Its suppose to be the whole Olympic team of that country in the parade, so I was surprised to see her alone too. Cant believe they would send out only one girl to the OLYMPICS!!! Where's her support?

She is one of the long-distance runners, isnt she? I remember seeing a female runner from Jibouti competing before, tho I cant be sure if its the same girl.

In any case, she's done her country proud.