Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Former President Mohamed Siad Barre, The Most Wrongfully Vilified Person

I didn’t know Barre as a person. But many of us knew him as a leader. And as such he was neither wise nor visionary. He was stubborn dictator and Leninist ideologue who at times challenged our core Islamic values. He inherited a nation at its fancy, and utterly destroyed it. History would have forgiven him had he left it in the state upon which he found the Somali State. Alas, he left behind nothing but chaos and clan hatred. Hence it’s my opinion that what we see today is the direct corollary of Barre’s long and corrupt dictatorial regime. Somalia achieved less, and not more, during his stay. To compare him with the current mayhem that’s Somalia is gross injustice! What we see are but explosives/landmines sat up by the very political culture Barre’s rule fostered. The Aydids and Yeys of Somali world were/are but miniatures of Barre’s version; each desired to dwarf him and replace him not with better vision but assume Barre’s function and leadership position. Still, though these and other rebel movement leaders were roughly equal in crime with Barre in their drive to gain power, his was unpardonable for the very fact that he was in a position to change things in a positive direction and save Somalis from what he knew was coming [it was really apparent], which he did not!

To forgive him is being benevolent, a deed encouraged by our creed. To defend him or tweak his known history, however, is just being .....

As for Horn, and this post, I think it has been customary in the contemporary Somali history for one to paint his leaders in the most positive light possible. On that account the man, Horn that is, did no wrong!

ps--Kismayo threads would fare much better than this lame one, I insist :D !

Kashafa   

How exactly is ^ that any different then what Yeey is currently doing? I just don't see how you[Horn, Emperor, Duke and Co.] people sleep at night. I suppose you just remove yourselves from it because you've convinced yourselves it was/is the right thing for addeer to do

Car ha ka jawaabaan. Dhabo-dhilifs were never fans of hard pointed questions. Sleep at night aa ? lol, these people are expert practioners of Is-Qancis(flimsy rationalisations). The unthinkable is made palatable thanks to adeer'ism

About the topic, Ol' man Barre was damned, not by the history books, or the sayings of mere men, but by his own actions.

Nothing, absolutely nothing can excuse the machine-gunning of 11 scholars of Islam who were shot dead because they dared to voice the Xukum of the Qu'ran vs the Xukum of Marko-Commie'ism.

Nothing, absolutely nothing can excuse unleashing the military might of the Somali National Army on the same people they were supposed to protect.

All that said, he is the metaphorical saint when compared to the collection of Ethiopian hyenas and dogs that pass for the Somali 'leadership' today. I speak of slaves like: Yey, Gheedi, M.Dheere, Riyaale, Hiraale, Qeybdiid and the rest of Dhabo-dhilif, Inc.

Let history record that Dictator Maxamed Siad Barre was many evil things, but a cursed f'ing collaborationist traitor, that he was not. And for that he deserves credit.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Caamir:

HornAfrique, I admire Bare's early adminstration, but it is undeniable that he resorted to the use of force in finding a solution to his country. It is not a strange move to resort to the use of force as a solution. In fact, it is one of the principles of International Law, esp when the sovereignty of a country is on the verge of collapse. Read the last Par, by Peter D. Little

Yes Camir, sometimes the head of state has to resort to drastic actions in order to keep the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the state intact. With that said, I am not overlooking the experiences of of civilians everywhere who might have taken the brunt of the struggles between the central government and the various rebel groups. I do not think there is anyone with the authority to do that.

p.s. The article you brought concerns the Bashiir Bililiqo uprising as derived from an interview with a rebel. That is a subject all on its own. smile.gif

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Kashafa:

All that said, he is the
metaphorical saint
when compared to the collection of Ethiopian hyenas and dogs that pass for the Somali 'leadership' today. I speak of slaves like: Yey, Gheedi, M.Dheere, Riyaale, Hiraale, Qeybdiid and the rest of Dhabo-dhilif, Inc.

Let history record that Dictator Maxamed Siad Barre was many evil things, but a cursed f'ing collaborationist traitor, that he was not. And for that he deserves credit. [/QB]

Probably the most closest thing to a compliment you can bestow on the late president Kashafa-ow. :D:D

Chimera   

Still, though these and other rebel movement leaders were roughly equal in crime with Barre in their drive to gain power, his was unpardonable for the very fact that he was in a position to change things in a positive direction and save Somalis from what he knew was coming [it was really apparent], which he did not!

I dont get this, so the rebel leaders should be excused because they were too ignorant to see there actions were destroying Somalia even further?

are they three years olds or something that they should be excused like that? but Barre (bad as he was in the remainder of his ruling years) somehow needs to take the full blame for something he wasn't even in charge of? and i mean with this that bloody year that killed 300 000 Somalis and expulsed an even greater number

how can you blame that incompetence on a man who was no longer there and as Horn allready pointed out a similar situation occurred in Ethiopia where a dictator that slaughtered 1.5 million ethiopians during his rule was toppled and those Ethiopian rebel leaders reconciled and formed a government

the Famine and Black Hawk Down didn't happen in Addis Ababa but in Mogadishu and the destruction of our country should not be blamed on one single person when all these crooks toppled something without a plan and then turned against eachother because of greed

they are grown ups they should know better and they need to be held accountable

Chimera   

just look at today you have a guy Ali Mahdi who played a role in that famine and civil war pretending to reconcile Somali people with a foreign imposed convention

the same guy who sealed the fate of future generations when he polluted our waters with nuclear waste for pocket change

how can anyone excuse or support this? how can anyone sleep at night supporting that genetic waste called TFG?

Unbelievable

I don’t get you yaa Dul! Who said warlords are blame less in this?

Adeer, what happened in 1991 in Xamar in particular and in the south in general was the finale of a decade and half year old civil war that was going in the other parts of the country. You should not ask me who was presiding that civil war; you as a follower of Somali history should know that. The sucking of Xamar did not happen over-night; it was gradual and predictable. Hargaysa was destroyed not by Ethiopian tanks; the Somali jets burned it down. The very institutions that supposed to protect the nationa interest of or people poisoned the drinking-wells of our nomads. You should know all of that adeer. The talk of Ethiopia as it regards to Barre’s brutalities is quite cheap, and it’s sad people like you let these emotions fog their judgment. When a brutal regime utterly collapses without plans in place to replace it, what follows next could be explained in different lights. Iraqs did not loot their national treasuries due to hatred of their country. It’s that these institutions represented symbols of Sadam, the leader they hated and despised.

I don’t have that much time on my hand, but you need to understand that the role of Barre was not equal of that of a rebel leader. His cardinal sin was that he failed to resist his desire to hold on to a feeble power and save his country. While Minguste accepted arrangements by others to flee so his country can be inherited intact, Barre did not. In fact he only fled when Aydid defeated him quite handily and captured his home region from him.

Waaryaadheheen wax ma idiin sheegaa ,,,,

Horta Ilaahay ha u naxariisto odayga maantaba qabri buu ku jiraa oo Ilaahay buu hor taagan yahaye.

Again, I believe Siad Barre inuu yahay ninka Somalia (not somaliland) ugu ragannimada badan ,,, cid isaga ka raganimo badan oo meeshaas uga dambaysayna ma jirto. Intii ka dambaysay wuxuu isagu sameeyay oo dowladnimo ahayd iyo wax u dhow toona way samayn kari waayeen ,, iskaba dhaafe intii yarayd ee isaga laga dhaxlay bay sii burburiyeen imikana waddankii bay xabashi iyo Eritrean ku soo gureen.

YEs, we fought against him laakiin qofka hadana ragannimadiisa waa loo qiraa ,,, NIN RAGANIMO LEH BUU AHAA ,,,,,of course qof waliba khalad wuu leeyahay.

Som@li   

^^Siyaad Barre iyo naxariis kala daa, if he doesnt go to hell, Nobody will!

Horn, Adeer what do you mean,"Somaali baad Tahay", goormey ceeb noqotay Somalinimadu. Waxa halkaa ina dhigay waa wixii uu 21 sano abuurayey, I am ashamed that you come here and try to protect the evil dictator, who brought all these misery, it does not sources to prove of who Siyad barre is,look the angry folks in the north, who once took part in fighting for the somali unity. Siyad will be remembered well in Somali history.

Chimera   

Xiin Blaming it all on Barre is blowing it out of proportion and simply unfair when it comes to Somali History that was my point, i'm aware of those Rhodesian pilots that were employed by him to cowardly shell our people in the North i would never defend these acts no matter what, but in the early 90s he was toppled and therefore he did not have a say in the matter when it comes to Somali issue's and it's future( before that brutal famine)

yes i wish deep down he resigned after his car accident but he didn't and he was overthrown years later there's no doubt in my mind that he left scars behind but the Somalia-Siyaad Barre/Ethiopia-Mengistu Haile Miriam analogy is on ''target''

Ethiopians experienced far greater attrocities during their red terror era and 'we are the world' famines which resulted in millions of deaths yet the rebel leaders didn't flip,quarrell or block foodaid from their people when they toppled the government

you see the power that was supposed to protect them was also turned against them and their institutions build up over a period of 50+ years was reduced to rubble aswell so Mengistu did not leave things as they were when he fled similarly as Barre to a foreign African country and till this day he has a death sentence on his head if he ever returned to Ethiopia so that says enough

to say these incompetent leaders are all products of Siyaad Barre's rule is disingenous for there are similar nations like Somalia with far worser dictators who's rule did not produce such disgusting individuals as those rebel leaders who have no shame

when the country was mourning President Ali Sharmaarke's death and instability began to break out Major General Salad Gabeyre Kediye took over and made a military junta where he eventually put Siyaad as head of the Junta and the country returned to stability, you see that's called leadership(despite the fact the same man excuted him years later but that's not the point) and Aideed simply didn't have this and therefore he should be held accountable for his actions same with all these other groups that are being glorified nowadays

the Somali people in every part of the country have shown resilience and strength aswell as a unity and love for themselves when they rebuild their economy,their homes their infrastructure their culture their lives it was never them i refuse to believe my people love destruction and pain more than the Ethiopians or the Rwandans and therefore continued fighting while the beforementioned groups reconciled i refuse to believe that. it's these leaders who try to corrupt the masses after the overthrownment of Barre's government and up to this day

it's not the Somali masses that are setting up road blocks no there the once it's being used upon it's not the Somali masses who signed deals with European waste dumpers no it's their health that's being wasted, it's not the Somali masses that want war,pain,famine no these are the things that are being forced upon them and not by Siyaad Barre

it's those rebel leaders who gave all power to our foreign enemies who made Mogadishu their nr 1 project and made arm shipments every month prolonging the instability and destruction there,those same rebel leaders allowed this to happen over and over again so there first intention when they took over was never to preserve Somalia or protect it's people from pain and loss

todays debacle is not to preserve Somalia or protect it's people no it's the same characters making a circle in their old foot steps, these rebel leaders received multiple second chances after they had witnessed that unbelievable dark page in Somali History 1992/3 which is mindboggling when i look at the numbers and then imagine it being my people

but they did not learn there lessons but continue leading us to destruction and pain and for this they will remain in my eyes more evil and corrupt than 2000 Siyaad Barre's combined

Taleexi   

Barre was a bitter and sweet on the same spot, first ten years of his tenure he bridged the intellect gap among Somalis and in the same token built lots of infrastructure be roads, schools, hospitals, agriculture and introduced the written format of the Somali language without this, Somali literacy rate would be much lower than it's today.

However, after 77 war he messed it up a big time and the rest is just a history.

Chimera   

Before i log off this is what i have to say;

To me there are two Siyaad Barre's

Siyaad nr 1 The brave leader that crippled Ethiopia to it's knees and oppossed a world Superpower and therefore restored dignity to the Somali psyche after that brutal betrayal. The leader that introduced all those great achievements during the earlier period of his rule

Siyaad nr 2 The coward that shelled women and children and became a stubborn dictator

the thing is; all these leaders of today only come as one ''character'' and that's somebody who's skilled in corruption-genocide-hate-qabiilism-destruction and betrayal and never showed the same qualities as Siyaad Barre nr1 despite the fact that the Somali people and Somalia gave them chances in plenty

Salaam!

Emperor   

Originally posted by Duke:

From tanks to Donkeys. He was a failure.

:D , does that call for a life time acheivement?

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

I believe Siad Barre inuu yahay ninka Somalia (not somaliland) ugu ragannimada badan

:D , another funny comment, why left out Somaliland, he wasn't better than anyone from SL?

Barre's achievement, personality and his totalitarian style is all there in the history, not only in the books but sticked in most of Somali brains and hearts, a 5 year old Somali boy born in the west would read it all for you, from the day of the coup to the murder of the Culuma and to the day all Somali national army, ministeries, educational institutions and everything Somali government turned into a Maqaaxi of his reer. There is nothing to be argued in this topic, Horn your attempt is utter failure as you wouldn't convince the kids in the west let alone the mature that saw and experienced the rule of the late President.

Originally posted by Dabshid:

^^Siyaad Barre iyo naxariis kala daa, if he doesnt go to hell, Nobody will!

Istaqfurullah ! ! ! !

It is Allah to decide who is going to hell and who is not sxb ...... don't do a mistake to charge Allah's destiny simply coz you hate someone.

Adduunka aan is xagxaganno but sheekadu markay aakhiro gaadho aynu Ilaahay uga hadhno.

Originally posted by Dabshid:

^^Siyaad Barre iyo naxariis kala daa,
if he doesnt go to hell, Nobody will!

Marka hore Siyaad Barre RIP shaqsi yaroo jirran oo caadifadi hurineyso taariikhdiisa waxba kama badali karo. Janno & Caddabna Illaah gacantiisa ayeey ku jirtaa ee kuma jirto aadane, qof walibana dambiguu galo isagga iyo Allihii balse Maxmaed Siyaad taariikhda ayaa xusi doonta oo been ka sheegaynin no one can rewrite it. icon_razz.gif

Waxaan soo xasuustay tii Sayidka RIP:

"Allahayoow waxaan ahay nin gob ahoo gunni rifeysaaye...."