Sign in to follow this  
Seeking Paradise

Question: Is a women spiritually inferior to a man?

Is a women spiritually inferior to a man?

I ask this because Ive been depressed about some stuff I have been hearing and reading about. Does being born a woman increase your chance of going to hell (women exceed men in hell). Does being a woman automatically mean that you are more sinful?

If it is women's nature to be talkative, gossiping, emotional, etc. as some claim---then why are they punished for those same characteristics?

Ex. In areas of divorce and witnesses for court, women's mental state or emotional state are brought in as factors.

Basically are men rewarded more in Islam and considered spiritually superior?

I dont know where I'm going with this......I am just confused :( and its midnight now.

I hope I make sense...and If I dont...I'll try to come back and clarify what I am trying to say.

STOIC   

A woman is not at all inferior to a man; nor does being a woman (or any characteristic) mean that you are automatically more sinful. Men and women are each judged equally, and each are rewarded or punished equally from this life.

In Islam, you are never prejudged as being automatically more sinful, regardless of being a man or woman, having wealth or being poor, what race you are, or any other inherent or worldly property; what you do in this life and what you feel and believe or anything else He desires to judge you with is what God swt will use to judge you.

You used the example of courts--courts are man-made instruments and are always due to error in many ways--unfortunately one of these ways may be things like using a woman's mental or emotional state as judging her credibility. Let me remind you, however, that this has absolutely nothing to do with Islam, which is a personal submission to God swt alone, and no other entities at all. If you have to choose between the stance of a court and God's commandments, Islam teaches to use God's commandments, which definately preach that women and men, though somewhat different, are ultimately equal and should be treated as such.

I'd also like to remind you--and this is just my opinion--that the Qur'aan was revealed to a society and a time in which men were powerful (which is still mainly the case). I believe that God swt simply catered the message so that men would adopt and spread the word, simply because men happen to historically be in power. If the Qur'aan explicitly demoted men from their status, even though it would still have been God's will, many men would have been reluctant to adopt Islam and many more would be guilty of sin. God swt thus shows his mercy and power by allowing a situation in which men (and women) may choose how to live, so long as each man and woman is treated fairly, justly, and equally. Even if you read the Qur'aan, most verses that describe heaven (and hell) relate that all people, men and women, will be judged according to their spiritual beliefs and to their actions in this life. Remember to never read verses out of context for they may completely skew the interpretation. In addition, try to read up on commentary or historical situations surrounding each surah (for example, Surat-an-Nisa (Women).

In my opinion, a truly Islamic situtation is one where the man out of his means supports the woman in such a way that she has no cares in this world other than serving God swt (see verse 34 of Surat-an-Nisa, along with the rest). Islamically, since men have more strength, we have more responsibility in this world; and women should not have to have this responsibility, since it is men's burden. Remember that God swt knows best and He knows exactly and absolutely how to judge each individual based on their own personal situtations they encounter in this world.

^ smile.gif

DA, of course not dear. Allah is just & merciful.

What we often forget is that Allah has honoured each sex in their distinctiveness & not their similiarities. We are different---physically, psychologically, emotionally---that does not mean that Allah would judge us differently when it comes to our intentions/thoughts/actions.

We have to find our value in relation to Allah---not man. If we hold men as standards--thats where the problem comes in. Then a woman will always feel incomplete and therefore strive to mimic them to feel any worth as a human being.

Allah dignifies us both--but we each have different roles & responsibilities to consider. Men would largely be judged on their jobs as leaders & protectors of their family, community, country. Women on the other hand will largely be judged on how they were as mothers, daughters, wives, etc. That doesn't make man superior in the eyes of Allah. No.

Allah said he looks into people's hearts---and judges them accordingly. smile.gif

Rokko   

We always hear the Hadith: "Women have a shortcoming in reasoning and religion." Unfortunately, some men use it to insult women. Here'a a response by Sheikh `Abdul-`Azîz Ibn Bâz after a sis raised similar questions..na'mean.

Wa`alykum As-Salaamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Thanks for this interesting question, which reflects part of misconceptions that some people have about Islam and the way it treats women. We really commend your efforts in pursuit of truth. This is what is required of all people, to seek truth and not to give in to anything that may cloud their minds with fake ideas about Islam.

Sister, it’s noteworthy that the status of woman in Islam constitutes no problem. Many verses of the Qur'an and practices of the early Muslims bear witness to the fact that woman is, at least, as vital to life as man is, and that she is not inferior to man in any way. Islam never belittles woman or underestimates her role in the society. Allah has made this clear in the Glorious Qur’an, by stating shining examples of some women for the believers– male and female- to emulate. In this context, the Glorious Qur’an says, (And Allah citeth an example for those who believe: the wife of Pharaoh when she said: My Lord! Build for me a home with thee in the Garden, and deliver me from Pharaoh and his work, and deliver me from evil doing folk; and Mary, daughter of Imran, whose body was chaste, therefor We breathed therein something of Our Spirit. And she put faith in the words of her Lord and His Scriptures, and was of the obedient.) (At-Tahrim 66: 11-12)

Thus, as the regards the point you raised in your question, we’d like to make it clear that the Hadith does not depict a woman as inferior; not at all. As it’s a fact that man has been given a form and nature by Allah which is distinct from that of woman, it’s also a fact that the form and nature of man and woman is complementary. This indicates that the distinction in form and nature must not be equated with an intellectual pre-eminence on the part of man.

Based on this, we'd like to stress that the issue of having a woman’s testimony corroborated by another woman does not imply a sign of gender superiority. One will get this point clear by bearing in mind that shyness is a specific feature of woman as compared to man. In this case, she needs another woman to stand by her side and corroborate the evidence. There is nothing wrong with having a witness’s testimony corroborated by another witness if the statement of the former falls short of being admissible as a conclusive evidence. So the main issue here is how to make justice run its course.

Focusing more on the question in point, we’d like to cite the following Fatwa issued by the late Muslim scholar, Sheikh `Abdul-`Aziz Ibn Baz, the former Mufti of Saudi Arabia:

The Prophet, peace be and blessings upon him, explained that women’s mental deficiency is reflected in their weak memory, the fact that makes Shari`ah stipulate that a woman’s testimony must be corroborated by another woman. Thus, this injunction does not imply woman’s inferiority to man; rather it has more to do with justice than to gender.

As for the shortcoming in religion, this stems from the fact that when menstruating or having post- partum bleeding, women neither pray nor fast, and they do not have to make up for their prayers.

As we know, women have no hand in the obstacles that disrupt their religious performances. This is something divine, which reflects Almighty Allah’s overflowing mercy on them, for it will be extremely hard for a woman to be tasked with religious obligation while she is having menstruation or post-partum bleeding. That’s why she is exempted from fasting or praying, as a sign of mercy on her. Also, they do not make up their prayers. This is because if they were ordered to make up their prayers, it would be extremely hard for them, given that prayers are performed five times a day. Menses may last for a number of days, up to seven or eight or more. Post-partum bleeding lasts for forty days. It’d be definitely hard for women to be obliged to make up the prayers missed while responding to the demands of nature.

So, in the light of the above-mentioned facts, the Hadith does not have any indication of looking down upon women or considering them as inferior, especially when we know that some women excel men in many matters.

Yes, no one can deny the fact that a woman may perform many good deeds and exceed many men in virtue, morality, etc. Islamic history abounds with examples of great women who have made great contribution to the progress of mankind. This is very clear to anyone who is well informed about the status of women during the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, and the early generations.

In addition, the Hadith in question does not disqualify women from being narrators of Hadiths, and there is nothing that prevents a woman from being one of Allah’s pious servants, if she is steadfast in her religion even with her being excused from fasting or praying during menstruation or post-partum bleeding.

Wiilo   

THE SPIRITUAL ASPECT

FOUNDATIONS OF SPIRITUAL AND HUMAN EQUITY

By Jamal Badawi, PhD.

1. According to the Qur'an, men and women have the same human spiritual nature.

O mankind! Reverence your Guardian-Lord, Who created you from a single person (nafsin- waahidah), created, of like nature, his mate, and from them two scattered (like seeds) countless men and women--reverence Allah through Whom you demand your mutual (rights), and (reverence) the wombs (that bore you): for Allah ever watches over you.... (Qur'an 4:1)

It is He Who created you from a single person and made his mate of like nature, in order that he might dwell with her (in love). When they are united, she bears a light burden and carries it about (unnoticed). When she grows heavy, they both pray to Allah, their Lord (saying) "If You give us a goodly child, we vow we shall (ever) be grateful. (Qur'an 7:189)

(He is) the Creator of the heavens and the earth: He has made for you pairs from among yourselves and pairs among cattle: by this means does He multiply you! There is nothing whatever like unto Him, and He is the one that hears and sees (all things). (Qur'an 42:11)

2. Both men and women alike are recipients of the "divine breath," because they are created with the same human spiritual nature. Indeed, as the Qur'an states, Allah originated them both from a single person or "one soul" (nafsin-waahidah). Reflecting the magnitude of this universal divine gift, the Qur'an states:

But He fashioned him (the human, or insan) in due proportion and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and understanding: Little thanks do you give! [3] (Qur'an 32:9)

Referring to Adam, the father of both men and women, the Qur'an relates that Allah commanded the angels to bow down (in respect) to him:

So if I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall down in obeisance unto him. (Qur'an 15:29)

3. Allah has invested both genders with inherent dignity and has made men and women, collectively, the trustees of Allah on earth.

We have honored the children of Adam, provided them with transport on land and sea, given them for sustenance things good and pure, and conferred on them special favors above a great part of Our Creation. (Qur'an 17:70)

Behold, your Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said "Will you place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood? While we celebrate Your praises and glorify Your holy (name)?" He said: "I know what you know not." (Qur'an 2:30)

4. The Qur'an does not blame woman for the "fall of man," nor does it view pregnancy and childbirth as punishments for "eating from the forbidden tree."On the contrary,the Qur'an depicts Adam and Eve as equally responsible for their sin in the garden , never singling out Eve for blame. It also esteems pregnancy and childbirth as sufficient reasons for the love and respect due to mothers from their children.

O Adam! You and your wife dwell in the garden and enjoy (its good things) as you (both) wish: but approach not this tree or you (both) run into harm and transgression.

Then Satan began to whisper suggestions to them, bringing openly before their minds all their shame was hidden from them (before): he said, "Your Lord only forbade you this tree lest you (both) should become angels or such beings as live forever."

And he swore to them both that he was their sincere adviser. So by deceit he brought about their fall. When they tasted the tree, their shame became manifest to them and they began to sew together the leaves of the garden over their bodies. And their Lord called unto them: "Did I know forbid you that tree and tell you that Satan was an avowed enemy unto you?"

They said: "Our Lord! we have wronged our own souls: If You forgive us not and bestow not upon us Your mercy, we shall certainly be lost."

(Allah) said: "Get you (both) down with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling- place and your means of livelihood for a time." He said: "Therein shall you (both) live and therein shall you (both) die; and from it shall you (both) be taken out (at last)..."

O you children of Adam! Let not Satan seduce you in the same manner as he got your parents out of the garden stripping them of their raiment to expose their shame: for he and his tribe watch you from a position where you cannot see them: We made the evil ones friends (only) to those without faith. [4] (Qur'an 7:19-27)

Regarding pregnancy and childbirth, the Qur'an states:

And We have enjoined on (every) person (to be good) to his/her parents: in travail upon travail did his/her mother bear him/her and in years twain was his/her weaning: (hear the command) "Show gratitude to Me and to your parents: to Me is (your final) Goal." (Qur'an 31:14)

We have enjoined on (every) person kindness to his/her parents: in pain did his/her mother bear him/her and in pain did she give his/her weaning is (a period of) thirty months. At length, when he /she reaches the age of full strength and attains forty years, he/she says "O my Lord! grant that I may be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon both my parents and that I may work righteousness such as You may approve; and be gracious to me in my issue. Truly have I turned to You and truly do I bow (to You) in Islam (submission)." (Qur'an 46:15) [5]

5.Men and women have the same religious duties and responsiblities. Each human being shall face the consequences of his or her deeds. And their Lord has accepted of them and answered them:

"Never will I suffer to be lost the work of any of you, be he/she male or female: you are members one of another..." If any do deeds of righteousness, be they male or female, and have faith, they will enter paradise and not the least injustice will be done to them. (Qur'an 4:124)

For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patent and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise-- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. (Qur'an 33:35)

One Day you shall see the believing men and the believing women, how their Light runs forward before them and by their right hands. (Their greeting will be): "Good News for you this Day! Gardens beneath which flow rivers! To dwell therein forever! This is indeed the highest Achievement!" (Qur'an 57:12)

CRITERION FOR "SUPERIORITY"

The Qur'an is quite clear about the issue of claimed superiority or inferiority of any human male or female:

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other. Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (one who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquanted (with all things). (Qur'an 49:13)

A few observations about this verse may be helpful in tracing the foundation of spiritual and human equality before Allah:

a. It begins by addressing not only Muslims but the whole of mankind, irrespective of their gender and their national or religious backgrounds. As such, it is a universal declaration to all made by the Creator of all.

b. It states that there is only One creator of all mankind. As such there is no room for arguments of superiority based on one's having been created by a "superior" God, as there is only One god (Allah). Nor is there any basis for a caste system based on some having been created in a way which is "different" from others or is superior. As Prophet Muhammad (P) explained, "... You all belong to Adam, and Adam was created from dust." In the process of human reporduction there is no superiority or inferiority; kings and paupers, males and females, are created from what the qur'an describes as "despised fluid."

Our having been crated by the One and Only Creator implies our basic equality before Him; He is just to all.

c. Being a faithful creature, servant and worshipper of the One god is at the heart of one's real spirituality and humanness. In this, the essence of gender equality finds its most profound basis.

d. The verse states that all human beings are created min thakarin wa-untha, which can be translated literally as "of male and female." This means in pairs, as the Qur'an explicitly mentiones elsewhere (e.g. 78:8). Each component of the pair is as necessary and as important as the other and hence is equal to him or her. The wording of this verse has been commonly translated as "from a (single pair of) a male and a female," referring to Adam and Eve. this serves as a reminder to all mankind that they belong to the same family, with one common set of parents. As such they are all equal, as brothers and sisters in that broad and "very extended" family.

e. Variations in gender, languages, ethnic backgrounds and, by implication, religious claims, do not provide any basis for superiority or inferiority. Thhe implication of "that you may know each other" (Qur'an 49:13) is that such variations constitute a delibrate mosaic that Allah created, which is more interesting and more beautiful than a single "color" or a "unisex".

f. Most significant and relevant to the topic at hand is the clear categorical statement that the most honored person in the sight of allah is the one who is most pious and righteous. this precludes any other basis for superiority, including. gender.

6. Nowhere does the Qur'an state that ones gender is superior to the other. Some interpreters of the Qur'an mistakenly translate the Arabic word qiwamah (responsibility for the family) with the English word "superiority." The Quran makes it clear that the sole basis for superiority of any person over another is piety and righteousness , not gender, color or nationality.

7. The absence of women as prophets or "messengers of Allah" in prophetic history is due to the demands and physical suffering associated with the role of messengers and prophets and not because of any spiritual inferiority attributed to women. [6] Socities to which prophets were sent, including the Israelities, pre-Islamic Arabs and others, were largely patriarchal socieites. they probably would have been less responsibe to the ministry of female messengers of god. In fact, they made things extremely difficult for male messengers.

From this chapter, it is clear that in terms of spirituality and humanness, both genders stand on equal footing before Allah. It is clear also that nowhere in the primary sources of Islam (the Qur'an and Sunnah) do we find any basis for the superiority of one gender over the other. Human misinterpretations, culturally-bound opinions or manipulations are not congruent with what Islam teaches. The full equality of all human beings before Allah is beyond doubt. This equality should not be confused , however , with role differentiation in the spirit of cooperation and complimentary. This is why equity is a more accurate term than "equality," as explained in endnote 1 and as applied in the remaining chapters of this work.

O mankind! Reverence your Guardian-Lord, Who created you from a single person (nafsin- waahidah), created, of like nature, his mate, and from them two scattered (like seeds) countless men and women--reverence Allah through Whom you demand your mutual (rights), and (reverence) the wombs (that bore you): for Allah ever watches over you.... (Qur'an 4:1)

It is He Who created you from a single person and made his mate of like nature, in order that he might dwell with her (in love). When they are united, she bears a light burden and carries it about (unnoticed). When she grows heavy, they both pray to Allah, their Lord (saying) "If You give us a goodly child, we vow we shall (ever) be grateful. (Qur'an 7:189)

(He is) the Creator of the heavens and the earth: He has made for you pairs from among yourselves and pairs among cattle: by this means does He multiply you! There is nothing whatever like unto Him, and He is the one that hears and sees (all things). (Qur'an 42:11)

2. Both men and women alike are recipients of the "divine breath," because they are created with the same human spiritual nature. Indeed, as the Qur'an states, Allah originated them both from a single person or "one soul" (nafsin-waahidah). Reflecting the magnitude of this universal divine gift, the Qur'an states:

But He fashioned him (the human, or insan) in due proportion and breathed into him something of His spirit. And He gave you (the faculties of) hearing and sight and understanding: Little thanks do you give! [3] (Qur'an 32:9)

Referring to Adam, the father of both men and women, the Qur'an relates that Allah commanded the angels to bow down (in respect) to him:

So if I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall down in obeisance unto him. (Qur'an 15:29)

3. Allah has invested both genders with inherent dignity and has made men and women, collectively, the trustees of Allah on earth.

We have honored the children of Adam, provided them with transport on land and sea, given them for sustenance things good and pure, and conferred on them special favors above a great part of Our Creation. (Qur'an 17:70)

Behold, your Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said "Will you place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood? While we celebrate Your praises and glorify Your holy (name)?" He said: "I know what you know not." (Qur'an 2:30)

4. The Qur'an does not blame woman for the "fall of man," nor does it view pregnancy and childbirth as punishments for "eating from the forbidden tree."On the contrary,the Qur'an depicts Adam and Eve as equally responsible for their sin in the garden , never singling out Eve for blame. It also esteems pregnancy and childbirth as sufficient reasons for the love and respect due to mothers from their children.

O Adam! You and your wife dwell in the garden and enjoy (its good things) as you (both) wish: but approach not this tree or you (both) run into harm and transgression.

Then Satan began to whisper suggestions to them, bringing openly before their minds all their shame was hidden from them (before): he said, "Your Lord only forbade you this tree lest you (both) should become angels or such beings as live forever."

And he swore to them both that he was their sincere adviser. So by deceit he brought about their fall. When they tasted the tree, their shame became manifest to them and they began to sew together the leaves of the garden over their bodies. And their Lord called unto them: "Did I know forbid you that tree and tell you that Satan was an avowed enemy unto you?"

They said: "Our Lord! we have wronged our own souls: If You forgive us not and bestow not upon us Your mercy, we shall certainly be lost."

(Allah) said: "Get you (both) down with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling- place and your means of livelihood for a time." He said: "Therein shall you (both) live and therein shall you (both) die; and from it shall you (both) be taken out (at last)..."

O you children of Adam! Let not Satan seduce you in the same manner as he got your parents out of the garden stripping them of their raiment to expose their shame: for he and his tribe watch you from a position where you cannot see them: We made the evil ones friends (only) to those without faith. [4] (Qur'an 7:19-27)

And We have enjoined on (every) person (to be good) to his/her parents: in travail upon travail did his/her mother bear him/her and in years twain was his/her weaning: (hear the command) "Show gratitude to Me and to your parents: to Me is (your final) Goal." (Qur'an 31:14)

We have enjoined on (every) person kindness to his/her parents: in pain did his/her mother bear him/her and in pain did she give his/her weaning is (a period of) thirty months. At length, when he /she reaches the age of full strength and attains forty years, he/she says "O my Lord! grant that I may be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon both my parents and that I may work righteousness such as You may approve; and be gracious to me in my issue. Truly have I turned to You and truly do I bow (to You) in Islam (submission)." (Qur'an 46:15) [5]

5.Men and women have the same religious duties and responsiblities. Each human being shall face the consequences of his or her deeds. And their Lord has accepted of them and answered them:

"Never will I suffer to be lost the work of any of you, be he/she male or female: you are members one of another..." If any do deeds of righteousness, be they male or female, and have faith, they will enter paradise and not the least injustice will be done to them. (Qur'an 4:124)

For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patent and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise-- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and great reward. (Qur'an 33:35)

One Day you shall see the believing men and the believing women, how their Light runs forward before them and by their right hands. (Their greeting will be): "Good News for you this Day! Gardens beneath which flow rivers! To dwell therein forever! This is indeed the highest Achievement!" (Qur'an 57:12)

The Qur'an is quite clear about the issue of claimed superiority or inferiority of any human male or female:

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other. Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (one who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquanted (with all things). (Qur'an 49:13)

A few observations about this verse may be helpful in tracing the foundation of spiritual and human equality before Allah:

a. It begins by addressing not only Muslims but the whole of mankind, irrespective of their gender and their national or religious backgrounds. As such, it is a universal declaration to all made by the Creator of all.

b. It states that there is only One creator of all mankind. As such there is no room for arguments of superiority based on one's having been created by a "superior" God, as there is only One god (Allah). Nor is there any basis for a caste system based on some having been created in a way which is "different" from others or is superior. As Prophet Muhammad (P) explained, "... You all belong to Adam, and Adam was created from dust." In the process of human reporduction there is no superiority or inferiority; kings and paupers, males and females, are created from what the qur'an describes as "despised fluid."

Our having been crated by the One and Only Creator implies our basic equality before Him; He is just to all.

c. Being a faithful creature, servant and worshipper of the One god is at the heart of one's real spirituality and humanness. In this, the essence of gender equality finds its most profound basis.

d. The verse states that all human beings are created min thakarin wa-untha, which can be translated literally as "of male and female." This means in pairs, as the Qur'an explicitly mentiones elsewhere (e.g. 78:8). Each component of the pair is as necessary and as important as the other and hence is equal to him or her. The wording of this verse has been commonly translated as "from a (single pair of) a male and a female," referring to Adam and Eve. this serves as a reminder to all mankind that they belong to the same family, with one common set of parents. As such they are all equal, as brothers and sisters in that broad and "very extended" family.

e. Variations in gender, languages, ethnic backgrounds and, by implication, religious claims, do not provide any basis for superiority or inferiority. Thhe implication of "that you may know each other" (Qur'an 49:13) is that such variations constitute a delibrate mosaic that Allah created, which is more interesting and more beautiful than a single "color" or a "unisex".

f. Most significant and relevant to the topic at hand is the clear categorical statement that the most honored person in the sight of allah is the one who is most pious and righteous. this precludes any other basis for superiority, including. gender.

6. Nowhere does the Qur'an state that ones gender is superior to the other. Some interpreters of the Qur'an mistakenly translate the Arabic word qiwamah (responsibility for the family) with the English word "superiority." The Quran makes it clear that the sole basis for superiority of any person over another is piety and righteousness , not gender, color or nationality.

7. The absence of women as prophets or "messengers of Allah" in prophetic history is due to the demands and physical suffering associated with the role of messengers and prophets and not because of any spiritual inferiority attributed to women. [6] Socities to which prophets were sent, including the Israelities, pre-Islamic Arabs and others, were largely patriarchal socieites. they probably would have been less responsibe to the ministry of female messengers of god. In fact, they made things extremely difficult for male messengers.

From this chapter, it is clear that in terms of spirituality and humanness, both genders stand on equal footing before Allah. It is clear also that nowhere in the primary sources of Islam (the Qur'an and Sunnah) do we find any basis for the superiority of one gender over the other. Human misinterpretations, culturally-bound opinions or manipulations are not congruent with what Islam teaches. The full equality of all human beings before Allah is beyond doubt. This equality should not be confused , however , with role differentiation in the spirit of cooperation and complimentary. This is why equity is a more accurate term than "equality," as explained in endnote 1 and as applied in the remaining chapters of this work.

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:............

Because there are more women than men on earth,some say the ratio will be 1:50, hence there will be obviously more women than men in hell. Back-biting is also key factor of this.

shyhem   

Dark Angel

Sister,there is nothing wrong with asking a question as long as one is looking for the truth.

I have nothing more to add,since the brothers and sister above have given you more answers than you probably need in the near future.

You will alwys find..

Inal muuminiina wal muuminaati..Inaal Muslimiina wal muslimaati..

No exception of men/women in ISLAM..they go together and that show the importance of Women in ISLAM..unlike other religions like Christianity..Where

In Hebrew literature and in Catholic Bible we read:

"No wickedness comes anywhere near the wickedness of a woman.....Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die" (Ecclesiasticus 25:19,24).

Jewish Rabbis listed nine curses inflicted on women as a result of the Fall:

"To the woman He gave nine curses and death: the burden of the blood of menstruation and the blood of virginity; the burden of pregnancy; the burden of childbirth; the burden of bringing up the children; her head is covered as one in mourning; she pierces her ear like a permanent slave or slave girl who serves her master; she is not to be believed as a witness; and after everything--death."

To the present day, orthodox Jewish men in their daily morning prayer recite "Blessed be God King of the universe that Thou has not made me a woman." The women, on the other hand, thank God every morning for "making me according to Thy will." 3 Another prayer found in many Jewish prayer books: "Praised be God that he has not created me a gentile. Praised be God that he has not created me a woman . Praised be God that he has not created me an ignoramus." 4

The Biblical Eve has played a far bigger role in Christianity than in Judaism. Her sin has been pivotal to the whole Christian faith because the Christian conception of the reason for the mission of Jesus Christ on Earth stems from Eve's disobedience to God. She had sinned and then seduced Adam to follow her suit. Consequently, God expelled both of them from Heaven to Earth, which had been cursed because of them. They bequeathed their sin, which had not been forgiven by God, to all their descendants and, thus, all humans are born in sin. In order to purify human beings from their 'original sin', God had to sacrifice Jesus, who is considered to be the Son of God, on the cross. Therefore, Eve is responsible for her own mistake, her husband's sin, the original sin of all humanity, and the death of the Son of God. In other words, one woman acting on her own caused the fall of humanity. 5 What about her daughters? They are sinners like her and have to be treated as such. Listen to the severe tone of St. Paul in the New Testament:

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I don't permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner" (I Timothy 2:11-14).

Do we have those problems in ISLAM... smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

The answer is NO.

Originally posted by Femme Fatale:

^
smile.gif

DA, of course not dear. Allah is
just & merciful.

What we often forget is that Allah has honoured each sex in their
distinctiveness & not their similiarities.
We are different---physically, psychologically, emotionally---that does not mean that Allah would judge us differently when it comes to our intentions/thoughts/actions.

Allah dignifies us
both
--but we each have different roles & responsibilities to consider. Men would largely be judged on their jobs as leaders & protectors of their family, community, country. Women on the other hand will largely be judged on how they were as mothers, daughters, wives, etc. That doesn't make man superior in the eyes of Allah. No.

Allah said he looks into people's hearts---and judges them accordingly.
smile.gif

Summing-up the gist of Allah’s universal equality before His justice! His fair dealing with both genders is, indeed, the essence of His message.

Wiilo   

Sis Wiilo, extra thanks. Very helpful article.

U are Very welcome dear Dark Angel

Wabillaahi Towfiiq:......

To the present day, orthodox Jewish men in their daily morning prayer recite "Blessed be God King of the universe that Thou has not made me a woman." The women, on the other hand, thank God every morning for "making me according to Thy will." 3 Another prayer found in many Jewish prayer books: "Praised be God that he has not created me a gentile. Praised be God that he has not created me a woman . Praised be God that he has not created me an ignoramus." 4

Compare it With Islam.. smile.gif