Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Recognition of Somaliland's Independence is overdue ...says Prof. Lewis

Baashi Somaliweyn based on what occured in the past is gone as we know it. The Somaliweyn Somalis fought for and the one they got are two entirely different things. As I have stated in many threads on this site, the man many call Mr Somaliweyn himself, the late Timacade, wondered what the difference was between the colonialist and those who were the Executive and the Legislative of the Somali Government in the 60's.

Now the question is, we got it wrong the first time. In order to do it right, we first need to understand the meaning of unity not just declare it. When we value it, and every one is working hard towards it, then we can seek the unity we hope for. As of now, all that is happening is we are drifting farther and farther apart.

The way I see it, recognizing Somaliland is the way forward to save Somali Unity. If by unity you just think of it as political, then that doesn't add up for you. If it means what is good for Somali relations, then it does.

Kowneyn   

Spadez:

Well said! The Somali nation needs a paradigm shift which a well governed, free and just Somaliland can provide.

Kowneyn

Salaan...

Look at what the old man wrote:

"Against this background of a very modest and minimal British presence, the fierce and extremely costly twenty years war (1900-1920) against the Jihad proclaimed by the remarkable Somali sheikh and poet Mohammad Abdille Hassan and his Dervishes was an unexpected and terrible aberration.

This left a permanent scar on the imperial perception of Somaliland . Following the jihad, no missionary activity was permitted by the British, and the colonial office insisted that no action likely to disturb the Somalis should ever again be undertaken. This was of course in many ways a negative development."

The key words of admission of deeply felt discontent and regret from the old man is: "This was of course in many ways in a negative development."

Negative to whom? The old man cannot even hide a bit of his unhappiness and for his desire Soomaalis being Christians today. And he terribly regrets the cancellation of missionary activity.

Thank you very much, Aw Sayidoow Max'ed C/lle Xasan. Soomaali people today at large appreciate you for not only being Christianized, but also not having the obscure colonial names of James, Earl, Jack or Olivia, Emily, Margaret or Abigail {God forbid!}.

Aw Sayidoow, I promise you if I ever have the means of building you another statue, I would personally erect you a one far more large, exquisite, splendid, superior than you had the last one in the centre of each Soomaali city. Extravaganza in its sheerest, yes.

And may Allah have mercy on your soul and all the men and women who fought the independence of our Soomaali lands everywhere.

Sophist   

Miskiin Macruuf Akhiyaar, Aamin.

I liked the way you have pointed out the vital point of his discontent.

May Allah eward you and your likes for your tireless campaign for the commonwealth of Somalis.

Sophist

Nabad