Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

Somali Hostage threatened with beheading

asalaamu alaykum,

It will certainly be sad if the iraqi militants decided to kill this man BUT I can understand why they want to. Iraq is a country where hungry multinational companies are swarming to get a piece of the iraqi economy which for a long time has been closed to them. The actions of these companies is nothing short of thievery and no Muslim should work for them to help them in their cause if you do then you are just like them, an enemy, even if u r Muslim.

Remember, how bck in the mid 90's warlords in Somalia killed those pakistani soldiers who were part of the UN "peackeeping" mission in Somalia?

RaMpAgE   

I think they should behead any so called 'muslim'

whos working with the kuffar (americans, colliation) no matter if he is pakistani, indian, arab or somali, becase their are only their too make Money while the poor people of Iraq are dying by the hunderds in their own ountry.

^^ I share your frustration as a muslim, but just imagine if that was your uncle Cabdi sitting there frightened with no hope of ever leaving there alive?

Somalis are killing each other by the minute for reasons beyond any sane person's comprehension. But everytime I support the insurgents on this case, I think about his Somali family who is struggling to bring him home safe. It is very hard bro. Just pray for him and his family.

N.O.R.F   

We are all praying for him for aiding in the occupation of Iraq???? :confused:

But these prayers were no heard when other 'muslims' were captured and killed who were doing the same thing. Oops i forgot, because he is Somali, its 'different'. Now forgive me for judging too early but i have no simpathy what so ever for this ***** . My sympathy is with the family of this fool.

Rampage, we are reading from the same page brother!

Allah know best!

N.O.R.F   

It would help if someone can provide a few ayat on this subject!

Those of us with a bit more time on our hands!

NGONGE   

I’m really starting to get scared by some of the arbitrary fatwas being dished out on here!

I’m not particarly bothered about the nationality of this guy, I suppose his capture gave us a chance to address and talk about the situation in Iraq (probably wouldn’t have happened if he was of another nationality). I feel sorry for him and his family in the same way that I would feel sorry for all those innocent people being caught out in the conflict in Iraq. May Allah ease their pain.

Now we come to the topic of these insurgents! As is the norm in the Islamic world, whenever something major happens, we resort to conspiracy theories. It’s a Jewish conspiracy, the Mosad has sent its agents to Iraq and instructed them to kidnap Muslim workers (and behead them if necessary) to muddy the water and turn people against the noble Iraqi resistance! Or, maybe it’s not the Mosad it’s the CIA!

Far-fetched stories, wouldn’t you say?

Now lets try another tack, lets look at those “sympathising†with these groups and condemning Muslim workers who go to make a living in Iraq (How does that differ from seeking work in America?). The argument being, that if you’re a Muslim then you should not be working for and helping the occupying forces. Their belief in this point is strong their resolve is unmovable! Imagine a thousand of these guys finding themselves in Iraq right now, how many would still have that opinion? How many would change their minds? And, more importantly, how many will take up arms and use force to deter fellow Muslims from “assisting†the occupying forces and their henchmen?

We’re all frustrated by the situation in Iraq (and the whole Islamic world). We can’t stomach our obvious impotence and weakness. It’s natural to feel some form of elation when the underdogs strike a blow through the hearts of tyrants. An example of that was the dancing Palestinian woman and children in the streets of Gaza and the West Bank when they heard about the events of the eleventh of September! Those events didn’t really do anything to change their situation. They didn’t impact on them favourably at all! Yet, they were “happy†that it happened because according to some warped logic, it showed that the “Muslims†were finally hitting back! “Taste some of your own medicine,†they were saying. But, is this way of thinking helpful to our cause? Do you hit back just for the sake of hitting back and temporarily restoring our hurt pride? What is the long-term plan here? What do these insurgents/resistance fighters and Mujahidin aim to achieve apart from ejecting the Americans out of Iraq? Is there a long-term vision here? Is there a short-term one?

The Iraqi people wouldn’t apply to work for the police force, American companies or the army if they had any other alternatives. Right now, and it’s really a sad thing to admit, the Americans are their only hope. In a practical day-to-day sense it’s the Americans (and their “collaboratorsâ€) who are fighting crime and tackling looters and thieves. They’re the ones keeping the “peace†amongst ordinary citizens and attempting to make the place look as if it has some form of governance. Why are these insurgents not doing more in those areas? Hamas, Fatah and the guys from Al Aqsa Brigade manage to do all of that in the occupied territories even though the Palestinian Authority has it’s own police force. If these “insurgents†have a bigger goal and plan they need to display it in their actions pretty soon. So far, they’ve been wielding the stick but where is the damn carrot? :mad:

N.O.R.F   

^^^OK so we pay Tax :rolleyes: I'm also saving them money on building projects for their coffers. Thats another issue on obeying the laws of the land you find youself in, but then again, i'm not giving dacwa so why i'm i here when Somaliland is safe enough for me to live there? :confused:

You analysis is correct for the most part but your not going to see me out there driving a truck risking my life and at the same time aiding in this whole process.

Sorry no time for an in-depth report. But we can discuss tonight. (friday night :D ).

NGONGE   

^^^ Of course I’m not going to see you going to drive a truck in Iraq, saaxib. You’re a European fat cat. You don’t need to drive a truck in Iraq. But, what if you were back in Somaliland and you failed to get your dream job in the “hay’ad†and your local Dhabshiil branch told you that your usually generous inadeero in Bolivia had stopped sending you your monthly “biilâ€, what will you do then? $200 day driving a truck in Baghdad city would not sound that bad, would it? :rolleyes:

N.O.R.F   

^^I would rather starve than serve the cause of the Americans mate!

But hey some ppl may run for the money as its a tempting incentive. But to do it at the expense of your bethren is utter madness. You may say desprate times desprate measures, but do they have a Dahabshiil in Bagdad? :confused: Or is it a case of stuffing it down your jeans for 3 months at a time?

Whatever the guys circumstances, imagine you was one of those mujahids, then you come across a fellow somali/muslim on the other side, yeah, imagine that!!!! :mad: redface.gif :mad: redface.gif

NGONGE   

Heh. Waar he was a truck driver working for a Kuwaiti company. His links to the Americans would have been very distant (to say the least). He’s not the only one working in Iraq.

What is your alternative? For people not to go to work in Iraq at all so we can score some weak points against the Americans? Saaxib, forget the Americans for a second. Lets talk about the Iraqis and the fact that despite the occupation, life still has to go on. Electricity still needs to be put back to pre-war levels. Running water still needs to be provided. Food items, medicine, oil and a million and one other items that we usually take for granted will still need to be brought into the country. If all these guys stop working there, the Iraqis will starve and be in a worse state. What are they supposed to do? Leave these things at the border so that they will not be accused of supporting the Americans?

Haddad   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

What is your alternative?

The alternative is to terminate the occupation.

Your quite right in your anaylsis Rampage&North, and at the end of they day what allah decree's in a person's life will occur, so if its this brothers destiny then thats life. But its the tradgic circumstances of the whole situation which makes me feel for his family, and the brother himself.

N.O.R.F   

Hes probably thinking along those lines

Can this rebuilding not be done with out 'western contractors'?

And who is paying for the construction? IMF? World Bank? Iraq will forever be in debt but they gloss over this fact. A £1m electricty grid construction will cost 10 times that because the companies are free to charge as they wish, because it aint coming out of a countries pockets but the IMF!

You have a point and your right, but i am a stubborn man and shall continue to argue for the sake of it!

Baashi   

I pray for him and other innocent whose lives are in the line of fire.

It is amazing wallahi how powerful and useful the propaganda can be. Here you have Somali, Muslim, a blue color worker doing work for a Kuwait company in a conflict zone taking calculated risk. He is now in the hands of the insurgents who would probably intend to use him as part of counter-offensive propaganda to send the signal that all those who aid the occupiers will pay a terrible price. Of course, the Kuwait couldn’t care less about this worker’s life. There are other poor mostly immigrant workers who are in desperate need for a work and who would probably would want to take the same calculated risk in order to make the ends meet. They will replace him in a heartbeat. The insurgents will try to snap one of them and try to make news again. The cycle will continue. The lives lost will always be Muslims.

On the other side, you have Americans and their handpicked secularists who would feel vindicated any time an innocent poor Muslim is killed by the insurgents. It serves into their larger message to divide Muslims into good Muslim who are moderate and bad Muslim who are fundamentalists. Behind the message is the idea that the fundamentalist Islam is brutal, backward, and pre-modern; whereas the moderate Islam embraces the Western values, which are modern and progressive. The real motive behind occupation is eclipsed by the news of the “terrorists†and their brutal and evil ways such as beheadings. The fact that Iraq has become a subjugated territory on which Western powers play out their geopolitical ambitions is altogether lost in the drama that is unfolding. As NGONGE suggested, the only hope for Iraqis is to cooperate with this 1000 gorilla in their midst! that would seem a sensible thing to do but the thousands of Iraqis apparently think otherwise.

As always, there are those who can’t stand the occupation, subjugation, hypocrisy, injustice, aggression, duplicity, and double standards. As often is the case, they will be tempted to fight back scramble for ways to hit back to the superior and powerful adversary. As the Somali poet once asked Boqol aan u turiheyn ka beegsada ma geesaa? There are some actions we must not do, and some weapons we must not use. But in the heat of the moment, in the face of defeat, the reason takes the back seat!