Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

PEACEKEEPERS TO DEPLOY WITH OR WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF WARLORDS.

AYOUB   

Caamir

Museveni has made some progress I agree, afterall he's been in power for nearly 20 years. The point is; how can he get vocal about 'warlords' when he gained power by over-throwing a regime installed by foreign (Tanzanian) troops in the first place ? The fact is some parts of Uganda are worse than any part of Somalia when it comes peace and security, and the man's involment in the other messy civil wars makes his cries for peace a bit hollow.

NASSIR   

Our country needs help. I understand your opposition to the neighboring countries and the president but to get out of this anarchic situation, we need to extend our collective support to the government just to bring out some solutions to our war-wrecked country instead of flaming the fire that has consumed the lives of millions of people . A/Y is an old man and he will not stay in power forever. If he makes peace progress, there is a high possibility that he will be reelected next term.

Latest News:

Kampala - A controversial 10 000-strong regional peacekeeping force planned for Somalia will deploy across the country except in the breakaway region of Somaliland, a senior Ugandan military officer has said.

"The force will deploy throughout Somalia, from Puntland all the way to the south, but not in Somaliland," the officer said after meetings of east African military experts at which the eight-battalion deployment was worked out.

Somalia has been without any functioning central authority for the past 14 years but the region of Somaliland has established its own governmental structures and claims independence from the rest of the war-shattered nation.

Independent Online.

Kaguta.jpg Presidents Museveni and Bush

The girl had points, but this is where she fell off the train:

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

I wonder if you'd salute Msawuee whatever his name is, if he was to deploy troops in Puntland or other parts of Somalia.

Puntland is a region in Somalia. Therefore, the deployment of any troops in 'Somalia' have to include troop presence in Puntland, because its part of Somalia. Is that a hard concept to understand or are you more of a visual learner?

Originally posted by Xoogsade:

Puntland soldiers are to keep their arms since they fall under a local government that is indepedent from the federal body when it comes to their affairs Plus there is peace over there.

First of all, the federal government you speak of only exists in Nairobi, on Somali news sites and here on SOL. Secondly, if you aren't aware, the Puntland Parliament is working on the Puntland regional constitution, to make sure that it doesn't violate any clauses in the agreed-upon federal constitution.

Thirdly, militia demobilization is a Somalia-wide issue, and Puntland is no exception (actually, according to the IGAD leaders, the only place IGAD peacekeepers won't land in is 'Somaliland' - because the S/land leadership didn't partake in the Somali peace conference).

Honestly, bro, do you really believe that Col Yeey (and Reer Puntland) is out to kill Reer Muqdisho? For what purpose? Many people who's ancestors hail from the Northeast returned to their ancestral homeland and have begun to rebuild their lives. You think they wanna risk a new civil war to avenge some end? And precisely, what end are they avenging? Being chased out of Muqdisho? Let's see: they've returned to build Boosaaso, Laasqoray, Badhan, Garoowe, Galkacyo, Laascaanood, Garacad etc and make them into self-sufficient cities. Where does Muqdisho figure into this equation?

The people who want to change history and claim Muqdisho (and its environs) as their own are the folks from Hobyo - who have been busy in the past decade wrestling away control of the city from its traditional inhabitants (they tried to do the same land expansion exercise in Galkacyo in '93, but failed). No wonder the inhabitants have long ago taken back their old philosophy of 'timir saar tii-tiin abuur.' Its been disasterous for them because now they're busy fighting for control of their traditional homeland.

Talk reality, sxb, not some far-fetched conspiracy theory about Puntland is coming to invade Muqdisho blah blah. They're busy handling their own, day-to-day affairs.

Xoogsade   

Wind.talker, I guess if you Take my post and exchange "Xoogsade" username with the "CAAMIR" username or Duke's, the post will look normal to your eyes and you wouldn't be as sensitive.

The other talk of What Abdullahi Yusuf Said and what interpretations people gave is just something I was passing along to point out to Bishaaro how far and wide people's thoughts are.

I don't know about specific reer Hobyo plans of taking over Muqdisho.

Originally posted by Xoogsade:

I don't know about specific reer Hobyo plans of taking over Muqdisho.

I didn't get the CAMIR or DUKE comparison, please clarify. DUKE personally knows I don't like his Fox News-like take on anything Col Yeey-ish.

Reer Hobyo, per se, don't have a 'plan' to 'take over' Muqdisho. Somalia is a country where each clan and sub-clan has a 'traditional land.' Benaadir - Muqdisho included - is the traditional land of a certain segment of Somali population. This was true before the war, and its more true during and after the war.

However, what has happened as a direct result of the formation of the USC in its early days was a philosophy of expelling 'foreigners' - meaning people from the Bari, Gedo etc - and replacing them with people closer to the inhabitants of Benaadir, i.e. Reer Hobyo, with whom they share clan-family ties. The relocation of thousands and thousands of people from the same sub-clan in southern Somalia (who normally live in Hobyo and its environs) has somehow given original Hobyo-ians the right to occupy, control and claim parts of Benaadir, Shabelaha Hoose etc.

This is what Mohamed Dheere has noticed. He sees Reer Hobyo's political elite attempting to change the population dynamics of southern Somalia, by making themselves the most powerful clan and controlling all the resources. He's asking a simple question: who gives them the right to come to Benaadir and claim control? Mohamed Dheere isn't in Hobyo claiming to be the ruling warlord. He's in Jowhar, where his clansmen are the majority and he's enjoys widespread support.

Its a land-grab gimmick and its the number source of Somalia's problems today. Mohamed Dhere is using this TFG as a back-up to get across his real point: Reer Hobyo shouldn't decide the internal affairs of Benaadir. That - in his line of thinking - should be left to the majority, i.e. Muqdisho's traditional inhabitants, the sub-clan he's a member of.

For the same reason I don't support a Reer Hargeisa annexation of Laascaanood, I don't support a Reer Hobyo annexation of Muqdisho. Its simple and its the reason we're still at war. Everyone should simply return to his/her 'traditional land' and we could square away the hardest part of our problems. But I doubt men like the self-styled ruler of Shabelaha Hoose listen to words.

Xoogsade   

Wind.Talker, The fault lies with the wealthy among the parts of the society you say are meant to replace and be dominant in a region where they aren't traditionally. The rest of the tribe is following where the money trail is saxib. When your Older brother built a house in Xamar and has huge stores in town, he needs employees, so the natural source of such needed help comes from Mudug where they are wasting their life looking after few camels anyway. One after another, the town is full of them. In normal times, this would be nothing to complain about and guys like you wouldn't have any issues with that lol.

As for the politics, you are right, they should have given the locals the leadership and be filing behind them. But who is talking to me? lol. Besides, as the joke goes, dad masaakiin oo aan idinla tacaamuli karinaad iska rabtaan idinka lol. Sorry mate, laf dhuun gashaa la idinku noqdey.

NASSIR   

W020040213055025622389.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

Mr. Annan should establish the Monitoring Group within 30 days and for six months so that it can continue to examine transfers of ammunition, single-use weapons and small arms, the Council said in a resolution that it approved unanimously.

The Group would assess actions taken by Somali authorities and Member States, particularly those in the region, to implement the embargo, using field-based investigations where possible, the Council, presided over by Brazil, said.

------------------

Peace and prosperity to Somalia.

NASSIR   

^ There is no camel herder running for president. The president has already been elected and he is serving his five year term. You are bit two years behind. :D

Rahima   

Many people who's ancestors hail from the Northeast returned to their ancestral homeland and have begun to rebuild their lives.

Where were they before that? That’s right, in the lands that you do not allow for “reer hobyoâ€. Before the civil war, were these lands not inhabited by Somalis of all regions/tribes?

The people who want to change history and claim Muqdisho (and its environs) as their own are the folks from Hobyo - who have been busy in the past decade wrestling away control of the city from its traditional inhabitants (they tried to do the same land expansion exercise in Galkacyo in '93, but failed).

Hang on, I’m confused. One minute Mogadishu is the capital, for all Somalis and cannot be claimed by any one qabiil, next it has traditional inhabitants and cannot be lived in by others. Explain to me which one?

Allow me to give you an example; I went to beeraha of Afgooye and surrounding areas. You are right, most of them are owned by “reer hobyo/galgaduudâ€, but guess who they bought the land attained post-91 from? That’s right, reer Northeast/Northwest. So now, what is the difference? Pre-91 these lands were owned by people who were not traditional inhabitants (reer hobyo, reer Northeast, Northwest), but now only because one remains and has bought most of the land legitimately it all makes it wrong? If PLs have chosen to sell their lands in the south, then they have the right to do so just as "reer hobyo" have the right to buy them. Walaahi, the warlords (since they are the only ones who wrongfully and forcefully inhabit the lands of others including their own clansmen) have almost next to no influence and almost next to no control and ownership. The people outside of Mogadishu and surrounding areas like us are the ones who give importance to these losers.

Same thing for Mogadishu, pre-91, everyone lived there, now that one remains it becomes wrong. No one is holding anyone hostage, every man in Mogadishu is working for himself.

There is no need for us to keep going over the actions of a few men (i.e. warlords) and painting it as the sin of every reer hobyo folk who has migrated south. Trust me, if CY and co could of have gotten this land when he was a warlord (is, turned president), he would of have ;) .

Let’s not act like as if one set of warlords have higher morality then another set (I realize you do not support them, but this is the point). The point here is not about the people, for reer Hobyo like any other Somalis can live respectfully wherever they wish-Somalia is for all Somalis. Mogadishu my brother, is not only inhabited in large numbers by the non-traditional inhabitants of Hobyo, but also Bay/Bakool regions and those of Somali galbeed. So, should they all leave although it is their land?

At the end of the day, I’ll tell you this, the average folk from Hobyo, could not care any less about their warlords, nor are they in Mogadishu wrongfully, rather as Xoogsade said they are

following where the money trail

Mogadishu is booming and they are trying to take part. They have worked hard for theirs like PLs have worked for theirs. Let’s cut this BS of how they supposedly wrongfully inhabit other peoples lands.

Most are there by the efforts of their hard work, just like every other person who is there and hence have the right. Heck every human being has the right. This is the land of Allah and all have the right to live wherever they wish and work hard for their keep, so long as they do so respectfully, unless of course you’re reasoning that most of reer Hobyo are there wrongfully and are oppressing the people. Are you? For if you speak of a few warlords and their supporters (we could count them on our hands if by comparison), I could agree, but to generalize like that is wrong.

NASSIR   

My optimistic for peacefull Somalia is high.

In shallah our family-owned big farms in Janaale and Qoryooley will be reorientated to family-owned resources.

I can't wait to visit back home.

Peace and Prosperityt to Somalia.

Rahima   

^You won't be dissappointed.

Beeraha have escaped the consequences of war. It's amazing; still they remain green, lush and rich.

Ah, i can just picture it and almost taste the sweet mangos :D . We fell so in love with it that inshallah we plan to buy some in Afgooye.

I was so surprised to see land so green and lush in Somalia, what can I say, the result of having parents who both hail from Mudug icon_razz.gif . I always imagined the whole of Somalia to be just like, with Boorama been rocky terrain.

Xoogsade   

Rahima, You better buy it now if you can find one before the whole corrupt system comes back where if you don't have someone in higher-ups, you aren't going to get land to cultivate. One of the reasons people are apprehensive about this government is the possibility of being thrown back into the crippling corrupt systems you had to go through to get anything done while someone who has got nothing is given the resources, money and the land to cultivate. That is how it used to be. Some are complaining now about others, but in the early days, the same thing had been done only under the cover of a government.

Nothing to worry though, so long as guys like me are alive and in town, there won't be free-cakes. Free Media(if left untouched) and the spirit of "give me liberty or give me death" will ensure prosperity for all or nothing for anyone.

Originally posted by Rahima:

One minute Mogadishu is the capital, for all Somalis and cannot be claimed by any one qabiil, next it has traditional inhabitants and cannot be lived in by others. Explain to me which one?

Mogadishu was, is and will always be the national Capital. However, that doesn't mean the city (and its environs) isn't the 'traditional' homeland to a segment of Somali population (as anybody will tell you). This is true everywhere: in Hargeisa, although its the Capital of S/land, the city is known as the 'traditional' homeland of a certain S/lander sub-clan. Same for Garoowe, Baydhabo etc. Mogadishu is the capital but its still the homeland of a sub-clan - but the problem is that sub-clan stands to loose plenty of political power if it lets people from Hobyo continue to run its affairs (this talk of Benadir regional admin led by Mudug warlords).

Originally posted by Rahima:

So now, what is the difference? Pre-91 these lands were owned by people who were not traditional inhabitants (reer hobyo, reer Northeast, Northwest), but now only because one remains and has bought most of the land legitimately it all makes it wrong? If PLs have chosen to sell their lands in the south, then they have the right to do so just as "reer hobyo" have the right to buy them.

SXB, you're missing the whole point. Its not about what land was bought and sold because that's a legitimate exchange of property. Its about the folks from Hobyo who live there essentially 'occupy' the city because they came there with their guns. They impose rules and have clan-based administration in different fiefdoms within the city, all with utter disregard for the local (native) population. The same is true in Marka and other cities in the South.

So, when warlords from Mudug (Caato, Caydiid & Co.) talk about establishing a 'Benadir regional gov't' it must be seen as disrespect because they have no right to make a regional admin without the consent of the native population (not from Hobyo). If Mohamed Dheere or RRA's Col. Shaatigaduud went to Hobyo with guns and said he'll establish a regional admin, it would be construed as an invasion, no? So, tell me what's the difference?

Just because Reer Hobyo called their cousins over to work in Mogadishu (as Xogsade pointed out) doesn't give them the unilateral right to establish a government for Benadir. Why don't they do that in Hobyo (instead of fighting)? If they live and work there, they're Somali - cid u diidi kartaa ma jirto. Laakin the day they begin talking about establishing government and ruling the native population is the day they consider themselves de facto rulers of Benadir (simply bcoz they've got the most guns). That's as unacceptable as Riyale Kahin extending his rule into Laascaanood. Period.

The point you made about non-native peoples (i.e. Northeast, NW, and Hobyo folks) in pre-1991 Mogadishu: no wonder they rebelled. The city was ruled by non-native folks, same as today because Reer Hobyo are obviously the most powerful bloc in Mogadishu. Unless you want another rebellion in the future (which is guaranteed if the status quo prevails), I suggest Reer Hobyo live in the city but ease off the talk about regional gov't. That can only come from within, not from Hobyo.