Sign in to follow this  

Atheism/Lets talk about GOD!

Naden   

Northerner, I cannot get beyond Yahya's ignorance of basic scientific principles. The gist of his book refuting evolution is that some creatures of today (e.g. an eel) have not changed in millions of years. Of course, in too many examples, he is not comparing the same things.

He is an ideologue and a smart man but he is an ignorant, profiteering charlatan. The one I had disparaged in the past is Zaghloul El Naggar, another religious charlatan and profiteer.

It is, unfortunately, both dishonest and futile to place evolutionary theory (or any science) on opposite ends of faith/religion. But it seems inevitable where similar discussions arise.

I am a believer and also a student of science (Biochemistry/ Archaeology). My reading of the Quran is cognizant of its overall spiritual purpose and its allegorical style. And it helps that I have a naturally high tolerance for ambiguities :D .

People over the next generations and through coming millenia will be faced with greater understanding of evolutionary changes. What will come of religious faith, then? The likes of Yahya and El-Naggar (and their Christian counterparts) will place themselves favourably between ever-expanding scientific knowledge and what is, no doubt, a struggle with belief in God.

It would be interesting to engage in a discussion about God.

N.O.R.F   

Arac,

So you acknowledge the Cambrian explosion did occur?

Why do we not have intermediary fossils? I for one would be interested to see what a half fish half invertebrate looks like.

ps isn't there evidence in other fossil records that suggest a great flood did actually occur? Is this being denied/challenged by evolutionists?

N.O.R.F   

Naden,

I haven't read the book nor have I read any others on evolution nor was I particularly attentive in biology. I thought it was a waste of time as I will go on to make millions as a banker. Then I got bored of that as well. Anyway, x years later and a million dollars less, I'm putting evolution under the microscope (pun intended). What I haven't seen yet is a concise response from it's SOL champions to questions posed. What I'm trying to do is highlight the fact the if there are questions with no or inconsistent answers, sitting on one side of the fence rather than 'on it' can only be perceived as erroneous. As for HY and the old Egyptian professor they are doing something they believe to be correct with what look like sincere intentions. It isn't healthy to second guess another's intentions.

Lets have that discussion. Might be best to narrow it down to say 3 or 4 areas to be discussed otherwise we will go in sorts of directions. Have a think.

Naden   

Northerner, before you put evolutionary evidence under the microscope, I would suggest some earnest study across disciplines where this evidence is found (assuming you haven't begun already). Harun Yahya and his ilk should not be part of that study at all.

About the intentions of the two men, they've been given the benefit of the doubt to no avail. Their financial empires are built on the ignorance about and fear of science among the masses. They continue to peddle their nonsense and make a handsome buck out of it (certainly easier than any banker could). Sincerity and righteousness have nothing to do with these two.

Cara.   

Norf, how old do you think the earth is? Give a ballpark figure in the thousands or millions or billions of years. It would be difficult to discuss the Cambrian explosion if we're not even on the same page about something so simple.

N.O.R.F   

^Enlighten me.

Naden,

I do intend to read up on the subject from all sides (easier said than done though). However, naturally, arguments AGAINST evolution have attracted my attention. These arguments sound well reasoned to a science layman such as myself. What has not been easy to find is well reasoned counter arguments hence my battle here with evolutionist nomads.

The Human was an Ape argument for example. This has so many holes in it with well reasoned scientific arguments against it I'm surprised this is actually still being debated. Is there something I'm missing?

The Masri and the Turk have done their bit. It's easy to claim they are mistaken without much in the of a write up against their views (maybe you can point out a website that does this).

Somali09   

Originally posted by Norfsky:

Arac,

ps isn't there evidence in other fossil records that suggest a great flood did actually occur? Is this being denied/challenged by evolutionists?

Of Species? or talking about Noah?

Naden   

Norfsy, the arguments seem well-reasoned to a layman because they are laden with ideological posturing. You insist that the Egyptian, for example, is doing his thing and yet you haven’t read for him since our last discussion about 3 years ago.

Listen, read, study, think through, and then bring forth your views. Even scientists who study evolutionary evidence argue extensively about what the evidence means.

Any introductory archaeology book will be a good start. A book on methodology/principl es of anthropological archaeology would also be good.

Abtigiis   

Naden

"Listen, read, study, think through, and then bring forth your views. Even scientists who study evolutionary evidence argue extensively about what the evidence means.

Any introductory archaeology book will be a good start. A book on methodology/principl es of anthropological archaeology would also be good."

Not all of us are capable of doing that Naden. Not all of us know about archeology or anthropology. So, some mercy on us erudite sister.

NGONGE   

^^ He's busy feilding phone calls from subjugated husbands. :D

(Nice thread, apart from Cara's vomit inducing showing off).

Cara.   

^After it has given up on getting any sustenance from your scrawny frame maybe.

Oooh, teacher teacher! Naden subscribes to Lamarckianism! Next she'll be claiming that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!