Sign in to follow this  
Elysian

Zenon's paradox

Johnny B   

^what are you implying? he wore heels cause of the dress?, young girl its about time to let you in on a secret, we don't need a bloody dress to wear heels.

check this Fidel !!

gallo5.jpg

^ JB, why are u posting a pic of 'ol fidel even with your cut and paste white mans face and hands, his shapely ankles give it away! The rules clearly state no posting of members pics

Elysian   

lol why do I get the feeling CG and JB are trying to make me more confused...

Originally posted by Caano-Geel

Maybe not, at the most pedantic level, we never actually reach anywhere or touch anything..

I had no idea, really interesting... but what the heck does that have to do with the paradox??

Origanlly posted by JB

16/64 = 1/4 that fraction is correct right? good.

now if Zenon came to that conclusion by canceling a 6 from top and a 6 from bottom and concludes that the fraction 16/64 equals one fourth reasoning, that he canceled equal number from both the numerator and the denominator , and anybody who claims that i'm wrong is welcome to work it out and come to a different conclusion.

I'm pretty sure you have a very very good point here JB, but from my perspective it's like I've asked you to help me solve a second degree equation and you reply "a square has four sides right......now if you measure the length on all four sides and add them togehter you'll have the perimeter, now prove me wrong" ummm, again, what is the obvious thing that I'm missing here!

Cara.   

LOL @ shapely ankles. I can't believe I scrolled up to check...

Johnny, I'm sure that guy also has a few dresses in his wardrobe. But it's one thing to sit wearing heels; the real test is can he walk in them?

Elysian, I think you're missing something from JB's convoluted example... check out Zenon's reasoning again.

Khayr   

Inshallah, I will try to explain it from an all together perspective...

Zeno of Elia's is attempting to prove that without continuity, there would be no possible motion.

What is also being defined is 'Infinite' as a notation, a numerical idea. What is ignored is that numbers are quantity.

Numbers are a mode of quantity, of a mode of being that is not coextensive.

Quantity is a determination and thus pertains to determined possibilities. Numbers are determined conditions and can thus only be FINITE. Numbers represent a certain set of possibilities.

So to think of the Infinite quantivitely is not only to limit it but to conceive of it as a subject to increase and decrease, which is absurd.

What Zeno and other 'logicians' should term or define is the 'Indefinite' and not the 'Infinite'. An indefinite can be used in relation to numbers but you can't use the idea of 'Infinite' for quantity for there can only be one Infinite and not multiple Infinites (a logical absurdity), just like there can't be 2 Eternals or 2 Absolutes.

So viewing this 'paradox' from that point, we can state that in every interval, one may take into account an indefinite number of positions for the moving object and these cannot be exhausted in analytic fashion. What logicians are implying here is that Motion is continous and is composed of points or indivisable elements.

Unless all we see is pure "motion" and not the turtle or Achilles, we have to admit that a discontinuity exists that is represented by the passage from motion to rest.

In other words, we don't see 'Pure Light' which would be pure continuos motion but rather grades of light, which proves that discontinuity exists.

In laymens terms, we can't give a Uniform definition to outcomes, we can't assess the idea of 'Infinite' quantitatively. Reality is Multi-layered and hierarchail and layered with meaning.

Castro   

^^^^ I don't know why but I get the feeling that unlike JB and CG, you'd look smashing in heels. :D

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Rahima:

God i hope you're referring to Cara and not khayr :eek: .

Rahima, u know what.. 36_4_11.gif

Just for bringing up the thought.

Khayr happens to love us 'the village people' , And unlike Ngonge and Xiin who openly cheat on ya, Khayr is loyal to us!. :D

Johnny, Castro,

Boys, i've got to say that i'm impressed, you've somehow managed to turn Zenon's paradox into a pick-up paradox. Wont you please share the secrets of the dark arts?

Johnny B   

^ Who'd think that CG was a romance likker ?!! icon_razz.gif

Now that you've blown our paradox cover we might as well solve the darn paradoz and find another "luuq luuq". :D

Elysian, abayo macaney, as Cara pointed out , look again into Zenon's reasoning , what he is saying is Achiles will keep covering every inch the turtle convers while the turtle keeps covering new ( no matter how little ) grounds and that you don't definitely agree with somaha?

Zenon keeps deviding the space between Start and Finish forever(infnitely), and that is mathematically possible.

In the center of the Paradox is what Castro told you about , Zanon is disregarding time ( a finite concept) as a factor. end of Paradox.

I'm sorry if we confused you, its Caano Geel's fault, he is the kina guy who tells his girlfreind that they've one thing in common , namely , they both love himself. :D

Cara.   

^LOL. Well, you know, Zenon, Achilles and even the turtle were ultimately only trying to impress the ladies. That's the whole point in the end.

Just look at Khayr:

Reality is Multi-layered and hierarchail and layered with meaning.

If that's not a pick up line I don't know what is. I nearly swooned :D

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Cara:

People didn't have psychological issues back then. They had character.

He had trouble with one of his heels though.

He sat sulking by his tent and refused to fight. He spent days crying about the death of his 'boyfriend'. He tied Hector's body to a chariot and dragged it around for hours and hours. He fought a river! :D

ps

No idea if we're talking about the same person here.

Cara.   

^As I said, character.

Hmmm, I'm thinking some people in Xamar should re-brand one of their favorite pastime as "pulling a Hector".

Rahima   

JB,

You're asking for it mate. You best be careful, i hear the foot steps of khayr icon_razz.gif .

Oh shidh :eek: , my popcorn, don't start without me boys!

Johnny B   

** JB smears [ insert some oil name here ] on all over his body, just incase Khayr wears a tuft! **

Pay back time Atheer, your pickup line

Reality is Multi-layered and hierarchail and layered with meaning.

was too revealing, it caused much damage to our paradox covered "Shokansi. :D